2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,145 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1227591 07/06/09 12:41 AM
OP Offline
HI THERE!!
CAN SOMEBODY TELL ME SOMETHING ABOUT THIS BRAND. FOR WHAT I HEARD ITS A WELL KNOW COMPANY FROM CZECH REPUBLIC THAT MAKES A GOOD QUALITY INSTRUMENTS. I AM INTERESTED IN ONE BUT BEFORE I JUMP I WILL LIKE TO KNOW THE REPUTATION THAT THIS PIANOS HAVE.
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

JWP Offline
Hi Nocturne Player,

I have had a Bohemia upright for ~ 2 1/2 years. I have had no problems and after playing many different pianos I still like the sound and touch.

You are correct, Bohemia pianos are made in the Czech Republic. About a year ago Bechstein bought the rest of Bohemia, so Bohemia pianos are now part of the Bechstein family.

Good luck, John

Bohemia Concerto 132
JWP #1227634 07/06/09 07:54 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Bohemias are lovely, warm instruments. Sweetest upright I ever played. Fine quality, backed by a very good, conscientious company. Had they been available when I was looking I likely would have bought one.

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
I have only played a few, but they are very nice pianos. For anyone considering a Kawai or Yamaha, this piano deserves attention (Petrof and Estonia, too) because they are priced similarly. Personally, I prefer them to similarly priced Japanese pianos.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I understand it, Bohemia is known more for its uprights than its grands. The Eastern European brands (except for the Belarussian brand whose name escapes me at the moment) are all very good quality, helping to fill the niche between the Steinways and Yahamas of the world.

Last edited by swampwiz; 07/07/09 12:05 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Recent Bohemias are far improved over those of the middle and late 1990's. The 2006 acquisition by Bechstein was a real shot in the arm for this flagging factory.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Actually I thought the Reiger Kloss uprts. of the early to mid nineties which I believed evolved into Bohemia were a great piano especially for the $. I only time I ever see Bohemia is at the Namm show.

Last edited by pianobroker; 07/07/09 03:29 PM.

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianobroker
Actually I thought the Reiger Kloss uprts. of the early to mid nineties which I believed evolved into Bohemia were a great piano especially for the $. I only time I ever see Bohemia is at the Namm show.

I think that XXI likes them too, even more than Hailun. grin

Broker,

Pianos Wholesale (John Tudor) in Temple City had the full Bohemia vertical line and a few grands for years, as did Rawlins in Laguna Niguel. I don't know if Pianos Wholesale is still in business though. Since they are(were?) into rebuilding, maybe you would know. Their web site is gone.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
JWP #1228239 07/07/09 06:13 PM
S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
One minor correction:

Bohemia is not a part of the Bechstein family. Bohemias were produced before bechstein's investment and eventual take over of the factory. The C. Bechsteins, Bechstein Academy Series, and the Hoffmann lines are designed by Bechstein.

My understanding is that the Bohemias were designed by Bohenia and not Bechstein. Bechstein simply continued to make the Bohemias under contract.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
From the LF 2008-2009 Suppliment:
"In 2006 C. Bechstein purchased a controlling interest in Bohemia Piano Ltd. and integrated it into a new entity called C. Bechstein Europe.....C. Bechstein now provides Bohemia with technical assistance and support., and the two companies collaborate in the manufacture of certain components."

Was LF incorrect in his reporting?

I was attributing their improvement to Bechstein involvement.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I believe Steve himself has stated that Bechstein put some money into the Bohemia factory in the form of CNC machinery. It would seem that would benefit whatever pianos are built there.

Also, is it not the case that W. Hoffmann's are built on the same line as the Bohemias? If so, this might be a Kawai / Boston sort of distinction.

S
S
I am seeking clarity from Bechstein and will report back.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

E
E
bohemia is not a Bechstein product, they only own the bohemia factory. Bohemia pianos are still built the same way as before bechstein bought the factory. They have purchased this factory for some case parts to be made at lower cost for some of their entry level pianos. I have heard some dealers say that Bohemia is a Bechstein piano. NOT TRUE!! don't be fooled. Just letting everyone know what some dealers are doing.

Rick Aquino
Worldwide Piano
www.worldwidepianostores.com
732-777-7381
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Steve Cohen.... Promised update to clarify?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The latest and greatest LF opus ranks Bohemia in catagory 3. This is an amazing climb from the Reiger-Kloss pianos and products from this factory I had a mediocre experience with in the late 1990's. If not positive influence from Bechstein I am scratching my head.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Enrico
bohemia is not a Bechstein product, they only own the bohemia factory. Bohemia pianos are still built the same way as before bechstein bought the factory. They have purchased this factory for some case parts to be made at lower cost for some of their entry level pianos. I have heard some dealers say that Bohemia is a Bechstein piano. NOT TRUE!! don't be fooled. Just letting everyone know what some dealers are doing.

According to Fine's new pianobuyer.com guide, Bechstein money built the new factory where Bohemias are now made. I believe that would give them some claim on ownership at least. grin

Most of the old designs are still in production, and all of the pianos bear either the Bohemia fallboard name or Bechstein's W. Hoffmann name. The difference is that the Bohemias are still distributed by German American Trading while the Hoffmanns are distributed by Bechstein itself.

If dealers want to tout the Bechstein affiliation, why not? Hardly seems necessary though. The Bohemia name stands for something very good. The pianos speak for themselves.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission