2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (benkeys, brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 101 of 190 1 2 99 100 101 102 103 189 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I had the same feeling that I was hitting wrong notes when I played it. Kept checking but I was definitely playing the right ones. Good to know that it wasn't only me.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
L
L
this is the 2001 reply!

sorry I couldn't resist...

lear
C
C
I was over in Book 1 reading through it. There is a lot of activity and interesting posts over there. I am wondering why the relative quiet in the Book 2 Forum. I know I am less active with the forum because I now spend a lot of time outside or independent of Alfred’s. I have not abandoned AIO. I just have other interests going now. Interests I could not support with my Book 1 skills. Now I have de-prioritized AIO; however, I do keep going with it because I trust it. It has structure and direction. I do want to follow that path in the long run. I just have some side trips I want to take right now. So, all in all, I am less active within AIO and the Book 2 forum but no less active in piano study in general. What do you think? Is it typical to develop other interests at the Book 1 – Book 2 juncture?

I am following EJay and starting Guantanamera now. Teacher played it through and it was beautiful. I did not know the tune by name. Once I heard it I did recognize it. Teacher suggested to start with only left hand and focus on that. Not sure why, maybe unrelated to this particular piece. I have an adventurous left hand, complete with a chicken wing arm.

I am a little in awe of (dat77 and Quagles) those who are comnfortable to start somewhere in Book 2 as a stating point. I don't think if I was to have an extedned absence, that I would be mearly as capable. In any case, I think that is an interesting experience. I hope that works out. It is best for me to start at the begininng and plod my way through.

I am just doing the one Alfred’s piece right now. The rest of my time is consumed with a couple Rags I want to smooth. I have a wonderful book of folk tunes from around the world I am using for sight reading. I spend a lot of time on that right now. Sight reading is large time expense for me, Hannon is constant, other theory studies as they come up can consume a lot of time, all reducing time for piece practice... and reducing time for AIO. I suppose this practice routine will eventually swing back in time. Back to more time spent with AIO and musical pieces. I do expect to keep in touch with the forum. You have my ear.

Well I am now playing Guantanamera with Marimba voice selected. It means I can practice the rhythm and chord changes, without the notes bothering me so much. I am just tidying it up now, so have started theme from Overture now.
I love this piece !
I will be taking my time on it though, no rushing. It will take a bit of practice, I suspect, to get the staccato in left hand while maintaining legato in right hand.

I can't get the Keith Snell series in UK and am not paying customs fees to get shipped from US, but have managed to order some of Helen Marlais' books.

Still working on scales and chords etc and some Czerny exercises.
Saying that I will need to rest over the weekend. I did too much crochet without resting yesterday and my wrist is a little sore.

Just onto Guantanamera for me too smile.. It looks tough!

D
D
I listened to the Guantanumera song. It sounds like it would be a nice song to learn. I do not have it in my book. I am doing the basic book. When I did take lessons that's the book my teacher told me to buy I do wish I had started with the all in one. It does seem like not that many people are doing the Alfred's book 2 right now.

The good thing about the Alfred's thread is how long they have been here. The previous pages discussion may take a while to read, but they are still relevant to newcomers to each level.
the other good thing is everyone is constantly progressing along, and there are a few people from book one who will be joining us shortly.

I have guantanamera to a reasonable standard now, will just keep it in my review list for a while. I just love Overture, but can't practice today ( or knit or crochet.. boo hoo) as my wrist is still sore. Will do some theory study instead.

So much for not playing today.. I couldn't resist a quick half hour..

Did I say I am loving Theme for Overture ?
I should really be moving on to Light and Blue now, but I keep playing the repeated section over and over like a broken record( boy there's a phrase thats out of date now..)

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
My teacher told me today that she's moving to another city - a small town, actually, but it's an expensive ferry ride away - & I'm feeling really sad about it. frown It's possible she'll still be in town once in a while, but realistically I guess I'm looking for a new teacher.

On the up side, I passed La Bamba!! laugh yippie Also Festive Dance, Scherzo, & Introduction and Dance. I didn't think I'd pass I+D, but I played it OK, on my teacher's piano, too. & she commented how much better my playing is since last time she saw me (before I injured my arm). We worked on Streets of Laredo a bit, & she showed me a couple of fingering moves to keep the legato happening in a place where it seemed to be impossible. & it worked! I'm SO going to miss her.

Ejay, I love Theme for Overture, too - I still play that one quite often, just because I like it so much.

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I haven't touched my piano in 3 days. I have my 11 year old grandson staying with me this week, to get some alone time and personal attention without his 6 siblings. We've gone for walks, saw Toy Story 3, spent a couple of hours each day at my town pool, and worked on his coin collecting Boy Scout merit badge. He brought stuff to do for his art merit badge, since I am a watercolor artist and I have other media and papers here that he can use, and I can give him some direction. I'm exhausted. LOL

I'm hoping to have his sister next week. She is also interested in art - and swimming, but she also plays piano, so I/we may get some piano time in. I hope I don't forget how to play Solace.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Well done on passing your pieces.
Sad news about your teacher, I hope you find another good one soon.

Its great that you are able to do that for your grandchildren.
Their mum must really appreciate it too.

Replying to myself again.. laugh
Just had an hour's practice ( was supposed to be half an hour, but I was enjoying myself..lol)
I did some scales to warm up, reviewed all of book 2 and the last pieces of book one, then decided to spend last 5 mins to start Light and Blue .

That was the mistake that had me sitting at the piano for another half hour. I love this piece too, a lot easier to play than it looks, only took 15 mins to memorize. However its addictive, once you get into the swing it is very hard to stop playing.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Ejay
...then decided to spend last 5 mins to start Light and Blue .

That was the mistake that had me sitting at the piano for another half hour. I love this piece too, a lot easier to play than it looks, only took 15 mins to memorize. However its addictive, once you get into the swing it is very hard to stop playing.

Maybe if you work on perfecting the final bar..... (It's a pretty definite "the end" sound)

Carol

[Linked Image]
P
P
Hi all. I've been struggling with Chopin Op. 10 Etude for several days now, and can't seem to get through it without plenty of pauses and note errors. Does anyone have any advice on how to approach it?

Thanks,
p

hi,
sorry no advice to offer, I've only been in book 2 for two weeks, perhaps you could pop into the book three thread and ask there for more advice.

Yes the tremolo is a bit more of a finale... unless you want an encore..LOL

Making progress with Hungarian Rhapsody now, just need to improve dynamics and changes of tempo. I might start on Morning has Broken tomorrow, to work alongside it.

I have been reviewing all the book two pieces as warm up, but if I don't let them rest for a week or so, I'll get fed up with them eventually.

How did it get to be Friday so fast ?
I'm now starting Alexander's Ragtime Band.

T
T
I started Book 2 in April, and I just got Sakura (page 24)...does that make any sense to anyone? My teacher frustrates me to no end ):<

I want to be good at what I do, but that doesn't mean I'll stop at just that laugh
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Is anyone else having a hard time with Plaisir d'Amour? The 3rd line on Page 2 is driving me NUTS!! It just doesn't sound right. I just listened to it a couple of times on the (horrible) CD, so maybe that will help. I'm going to try singing it a few hundred times before I try playing it again.

Carol

[Linked Image]
Page 101 of 190 1 2 99 100 101 102 103 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission