Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1227945 - 07/06/09 10:09 PM Seeking Advice About Shigeru MPA Visit
hwy Offline

Loc: San Francisco Peninsula
I recently purchased a Shigeru Kawai (my 1st grand!), and I'm wondering what to expect regarding the MPA visit. I've read the detailed posts by Hamiltonian and sleepingcats, but I still have some questions for Shigeru owners who have had the (hopefully wonderful) experience already.

Q. How did you arrange the visit? I mailed in my owner's registration card over a month ago. It says I will be contacted, but I have not received any. Should I call Kawai, or just relax and wait? When should I start worrying, knowing the visit must be within the first year of ownership?

Q. When did you schedule your visit? If it's towards the end of the year, did you have a separate tuning appt between the piano delivery and the MPA visit?

Q. Did you have many requests for the MPA? I am by no means a sensitive player; I can't even tell when a piano goes out of tune when the weather changes. Is there value to someone like me to try to schedule the visit as late as possible, knowing I only have few minor requests now and probably can't come up with more? Should I ask my friends/teacher to check out the piano to see if they can find anything "wrong"?

Q. Did you invite your piano technician to come when the MPA visits? I don't know my piano technician well, and it feels awkward to call him just for this. (He is very nice, but I'd hate to make him think I'm wasting his time.) Is the Shigeru so different that I should/must invite my technician?

Q. Knowing what you know now, is there anything that you'd have done differently?

Q. Lastly -- any DOs and DONTs? (I'll take any suggestion, even the kinds of tea/snacks to prepare...)

Thanks in advance.

Piano & Music Accessories
#1227952 - 07/06/09 10:49 PM Re: Seeking Advice About Shigeru MPA Visit [Re: hwy]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Welcome to the forum, hwy, and CONGRATULATIONS on your new Shigeru! That was my runner-up (along with the Estonia) when I was shopping for my grand.

Here's my understanding of how the MPA visit works, based on questions I asked my dealer when I was trying to decide between it and my M&H: Owners don't get a whole lot of leeway about when the visit occurs. The MPAs are coming over from Japan, and Kawai tries to schedule everybody in the same general area at the same time so as to minimize travel time for the technician. That's why they tell you only that it will happen sometime in the first year.

I would certainly advise you to have tuning appointments as needed, and don't try to plan around the MPA visit. Most new pianos really need four tunings for the first year and then at least twice yearly after that.

You may want to try reposting this under the main forum, as you'll probably get more responses that way. smile

#1227955 - 07/06/09 10:54 PM Re: Seeking Advice About Shigeru MPA Visit [Re: Monica K.]
hwy Offline

Thanks very much for your reply! I realized my mistake (of posting on the wrong forum) but I can't move it. Argh!

Moderator, if you read this post, can you please move the topic to the "Piano Forum" for me?

#1227956 - 07/06/09 10:56 PM Re: Seeking Advice About Shigeru MPA Visit [Re: hwy]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
This forum ain't heavily moderated. It'd probably be quicker just to copy and paste the text and start a whole new thread.

#1227959 - 07/06/09 11:15 PM Re: Seeking Advice About Shigeru MPA Visit [Re: Monica K.]
hwy Offline

Thanks again for the advice. I have copied the text and started a new topic in the (hopefully right) forum.

And many thanks for sharing the info you got from your dealer. This is good to know.

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
107 registered (Alux, ADWyatt, anotherscott, 30 invisible), 1394 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153567 Topics
2250630 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha Upright - Please help identify
by awyaks
2 minutes 15 seconds ago
song i wrote. people in clubs love it
by jedplays
Yesterday at 10:49 PM
Fazioli "factory tour" video.
by R_B
Yesterday at 10:27 PM
Piano Science
by venice1
Yesterday at 09:59 PM
MP7 vs MP11: only 6 differences?
by Marko in Boston
Yesterday at 09:08 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission