Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1225014 - 06/30/09 11:33 AM Piano Sonata in E♭ - "Mo Ghrá"
Stevenup7002 Offline

Loc: Ireland
Hi guys,
I just completed my first piano sonata, entitled "Mo Ghrá", which translates from Irish to English into "My Love". It consists of three movements, each of which are quite short in comparison to movements of other piano sonatas.

1. "Infatuation" YouTube - Mo Ghra? (Mvmt 1) - Steven O'Brien
2. "Heartache" YouTube - Mo Ghrá (Mvmt 2) - Steven O'Brien
3. "Love" YouTube - Mo Ghra? (Mvmt 3) - Steven O'Brien

Please tell me what you think,
-Steve

Piano & Music Acc. / Sheet Music

Sheet Music Plus Homepage
#1225200 - 06/30/09 04:58 PM Re: Piano Sonata in E♭ - "Mo Ghrá" [Re: Stevenup7002]
Hrodulf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
I listened to it. I think you should completely re-imagine this piece as it suffers from a lack of proper musical development of your ideas.

I'm working on one now that I have to change also. I make a shift from e flat to c major at the end and I don't think it's good, also there are a few chords in my third strain I don't particularly like.
Exercises

#1225689 - 07/01/09 03:14 PM Re: Piano Sonata in E♭ - "Mo Ghrá" [Re: Hrodulf]
pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: ♪oron♪o, on♪ario, canada...
Very cute! Puppy love?

#1225693 - 07/01/09 03:17 PM Re: Piano Sonata in E♭ - "Mo Ghrá" [Re: Hrodulf]
8ude Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I agree with Hrodulf - there really isn't much in the way of development in this work. Some of the ideas you have are decent, but without proper development, they're just that - ideas. Due to this lack of development, the piece seemed (to me) very amateurish and trying to please beyond its means.

Another point, and this is very subjective, I didn't get any sense of "infatuation" from the first movement. For me, it just didn't seem to fit with the sub-title.

If you are going to call this a sonata, then I think that you will need to re-imagine this as H said, as well as put more effort into development. While the definition of what constitutes a sonata has gotten pretty loose over the years, the term sonata still brings to mind certain formal aspects, which I think are lacking in this.

I was not too keen on the harmonic scheme you used, as it just seemed a little too plain for me - I could have used a little more experimentation harmonically. I'm not saying go crazy and make it atonal or anything, but there's a wide range of harmonic colors available to you, why not use more of them?

One thing I did like is the last movement. I think that the idea you have there is a good one, though as I mentioned before, I think it could do with some more development, and it did seem to end pretty abruptly.

Personally, if it were me doing it, I would scrub the first two movements and develop the third movement as a standalone piece (and not call it a Sonata). Of course this is your effort, so you do what you want with it - just my two cents...

#1225829 - 07/01/09 07:47 PM Re: Piano Sonata in E♭ - "Mo Ghrá" [Re: 8ude]
Stevenup7002 Offline

Loc: Ireland
Originally Posted By: pno
Very cute! Puppy love?

Quite =P

Originally Posted By: 8ude
I agree with Hrodulf - there really isn't much in the way of development in this work. Some of the ideas you have are decent, but without proper development, they're just that - ideas. Due to this lack of development, the piece seemed (to me) very amateurish and trying to please beyond its means.

Another point, and this is very subjective, I didn't get any sense of "infatuation" from the first movement. For me, it just didn't seem to fit with the sub-title.

If you are going to call this a sonata, then I think that you will need to re-imagine this as H said, as well as put more effort into development. While the definition of what constitutes a sonata has gotten pretty loose over the years, the term sonata still brings to mind certain formal aspects, which I think are lacking in this.

I was not too keen on the harmonic scheme you used, as it just seemed a little too plain for me - I could have used a little more experimentation harmonically. I'm not saying go crazy and make it atonal or anything, but there's a wide range of harmonic colors available to you, why not use more of them?

One thing I did like is the last movement. I think that the idea you have there is a good one, though as I mentioned before, I think it could do with some more development, and it did seem to end pretty abruptly.

Personally, if it were me doing it, I would scrub the first two movements and develop the third movement as a standalone piece (and not call it a Sonata). Of course this is your effort, so you do what you want with it - just my two cents...

Would it make you happy if I called it a sonatina instead?

#1225933 - 07/01/09 11:08 PM Re: Piano Sonata in E♭ - "Mo Ghrá" [Re: Stevenup7002]
8ude Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Don't concern yourself with what would make me happy. There's no way to please everyone, and everyone will have a different opinion. Like the great Bill Cosby said "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone". This is your piece - do with it what you will and don't worry about pleasing everyone.

That said, there's nothing wrong with soliciting and accepting constructive criticism, which is what I hope I've offered to you in my previous post. Take my comments however you like, but ultimately do what you think is right for this piece and for you as a composer.

#1225941 - 07/01/09 11:24 PM Re: Piano Sonata in E♭ - "Mo Ghrá" [Re: 8ude]
Hrodulf Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City

Edited by Hrodulf (07/01/09 11:25 PM)
Exercises

#1228264 - 07/07/09 06:56 PM Re: Piano Sonata in E♭ - "Mo Ghrá" [Re: Stevenup7002]
adamscottneal Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I agree with the other folks that the third movement is the most promising. It has nice melodic content, but I feel that some variety in the accompaniment, as it is simply broken-chord quavers throughout.

It would be very helpful to check out those links on sonata form - they will make the piece hang together better. For one, the slow movement should be in the middle. I think the (current) second movement is alright too, and would make a better finale, although I suppose it would change the story you're trying to tell.

Two, try to identify the bits you really like the best. If you listen hard, you'll probably find that some of what you've written isn't as good as you'd hoped. Strip things down to those bits you really like, and rework it, perhaps in some classic forms like sonata, rondo, and theme-and-variations.
www.twitter.com/adamscottneal <=== follow me
www.myspace.com/asnmusic <=== be my friend

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Are pianos sometimes voiced or tuned differently for jazz?
by Jake Jackson
10 minutes 52 seconds ago
Stay safe, Ottawa
by jehalliday
Today at 03:51 PM
Which Books did Chopin Study?
by Batuhan
Today at 03:12 PM
Study Group - Mozart Sonata n13 KV 333
by Doritos Flavoured
Today at 02:40 PM
Broken Wrist
by sonataplayer
Today at 02:26 PM
Who's Online
153 registered (A Guy, accordeur, ajames, 38 invisible), 1603 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76619 Members
42 Forums
158423 Topics
2326513 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission