2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1227442 07/05/09 05:24 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi all,

I'd like to share this piece with you. It doesn't have a name yet, I'm just not really into that kind of thing i think.

The piece doesn't have any theme, nor specific genre i believe. It's just a piece i wrote in one evening, writing down everything that came up in my head.

I think that's my main 'problem' when it comes down to composing. I've got some nice ideas, but they are rather short and very fast I'm like 'bored' of them, so I come up with something else.

Anyway, if you want you can listen to the piece. Responses are appreciated.

Last part should be played way faster, but since my DP is gone for repairs I can't make a better version...
http://www.box.net/shared/2ozmshvea4

(it is recorded using an old DP's audio out)

J
J
...you're not exactly selling your piece to us. Might take a look at some point, but you've already told us it's not worth it, so I shan't bother to look at it now.

James McFadyen
Black & White Editions (c/o Devilish Publishing)
NEW PIANO MUSIC DEALS - http://www.blackandwhiteeditions.com/
M
M
I'd listen but your file is gone! Try again.

S
OP Offline
S
Oh, that's strange, I think I've accidentally deleted it.
Here it is: http://www.box.net/shared/rrxsz5846p

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Delightful piece of music. Good development and very well played.

Enjoyed listening

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
M
M
I am no expert but I relate to you because I also tend towards boredom and not following thru on short ideas. I agree there's some good stuff here but because of how it just segues from one idea to another it has the feel (to me) of a very high-quality improvisation rather than a "piece". By that I mean, it didn't feel like it "arrived" or concluded exactly, it could have just kept going forever and meandering into new themes. Maybe that doesn't matter to you, in which case, great! But I think you've got good raw material there and I'd think it worth your while to break it into at least two pieces and spread it out/work it more. One gimmick I am fond of, which might or might not work with your style, is once I've done two ideas/themes/phrases, to try and tie it up by combining them in some way. Sometimes that might be one played in one hand and one in the other (may have to adjust keys, use partial phrases, etc. to make this work nicely), or playing maybe a partial phrase from one theme and a partial from another like a conversation, or whatever. Or, try the melodic part of the first theme with the harmony from the second. I realize this might not work well with what you've got here since there didn't seem to be a lot of crossover in terms of harmonic progressions and such from all your themes. Just an idea.

A
A
Nice raw material here. I've got a couple ideas for you:

1. Use the first 3 sections/themes only, and put them in rondo or "pop song" form. Rondo = ABACA. Song = ABABC(A)B. Simply by bringing back sections, you add some coherence to the piece (the other sections can be recycled into another piece or pieces).

2. Take these little fragments and change the harmonies more - I really liked the opening groove, but it gets a little dull because it never goes anywhere - just the same 3 chords. Take the same rhythmic and melodic ideas and move them around - this will help us sustain interest longer.

www.adamscottneal.com <=== main site
www.cdbaby.com/artist/adamscottneal <=== CDs for sale
www.adamscottneal.blogspot.com <=== works-in-progress blog
www.twitter.com/adamscottneal <=== follow me
www.myspace.com/asnmusic <=== be my friend
S
OP Offline
S
Thank you all for your responses.
So, I think I 'should' be repeating more often. I'll try experimenting with different harmonies, however that seems pretty difficult to me. Especially when trying to maintain the melody and vice versa (never had any harmony lessons so).
But as soon as my DP is back I'll be trying out some things.

I've got some small unused themes left, will be trying to combine some of those.

Thanks for responses, more responses are appreciated of course.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission