Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#214393 - 01/17/07 08:19 PM Petrof pianos review - comments?
Mike A Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: So.Cal.USA
Came across this review of Petrofs on the web. Any comments? Agree? Disagree?

[Edited to remove text of review ... click link if interested.]

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#214394 - 01/17/07 08:34 PM Re: Petrof pianos review - comments?
Derick II Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mike A:
Came across this review of Petrofs on the web. Any comments? Agree? Disagree?

Quote:
For instance, Steinway has been known for requiring $1,000 of dealer prep for each of its grand pianos, and if a dealer does not or cannot supply it (maybe because of a lack of qualified piano technicians in a given circumstance of location), that $1,000 is deducted from the final purchase price.]

Review written by Ann LaRose
[/b]
Personally I've always found Petrof actions to be a bit too heavy. However, I understand they have changed their actions recently. I kind of doubt they are as light as she claims they are, but having not played the newer actions, I really can't comment.

Nevertheless, Ms. LaRose has obviously been smoking something that has made her very light-headed as illustrated by her comment about the Steinway credit!!!

Derick

#214395 - 01/17/07 08:41 PM Re: Petrof pianos review - comments?
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

That old review was once published by MusicTownUSA.com on their web site. Search the archive on this forum... IIRC, there are a few posts discrediting that review as well as mention of lawsuit that forced MusicTownUSA.com to take it off their web site.

(Personally, I don't consider Petrof's action that light as well, nor do I consider them "heavy" at all... middel-of-the-road sort of feel. I have had no trouble "controlling" the action of any of the new Petrof grands I came across in the last few years.)

#214396 - 01/17/07 08:55 PM Re: Petrof pianos review - comments?
ftp Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Remember the old saying "consider the source."

Who is Ann LaRose and why did she write the article? Is it paid for testimony and if so by who? How can anyone read it without knowing this first?

#214397 - 01/17/07 09:03 PM Re: Petrof pianos review - comments?
Brick Offline

MusicTownUSA was a front for a scum-sucking pig. Here was his modus operandi: he would contact a potential advertiser (in this case the USA Petrof distributor) and promise them a great review in exchange for placing a paid ad on his page.

The U.S. Petrof distributor didn't bite, so the vermin behind MusicTownUSA made up a phony negative review. He is lucky that all he got was threatened with a lawsuit and shut down, because he deserved a lot worse. He is nothing more than a slimy wannabe extortionist, and deserved to be treated as such.

As we have seen, this phony review is still making the rounds, and a company that makes very nice pianos is still suffering for it.

#214398 - 01/17/07 09:51 PM Re: Petrof pianos review - comments?
brazospiano Offline

Loc: College Station, TX
I think Petrof should sue. It is a ridiculous review. I am going Friday to test a Petrof for the first time, and I am glad to see this crazy review discredited. It is obvious reading it that it is a falsification. I cannot imagine this person travelling around the country to sample 20 pianos and then having only this lousy write up to show for the thousands it would take to do it.

Any who would write up such a review without comparing it on a rating scale to other pianos? I would be interested in seeing a double blind evaluation of different piano manufacturers...

Just see the keys and have a thin curtain hiding the rest of the instrument. It would be very interesting to see who could not tell a Pepsi from a Coke then!

#214399 - 01/17/07 10:02 PM Re: Petrof pianos review - comments?
Mike A Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: So.Cal.USA
Thanks all. Petrof is on my short list, so this review made me gasp a bit.

#214400 - 01/18/07 05:24 AM Re: Petrof pianos review - comments?
Jan-Erik Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
I do not berlieve a word of what was written about Petrof!

But, this arguing about actions' heaviness/lighness and bad controllability of sound volume could be put to an end if there were clear test results showing numerical values of several action parameters, e. g.

- downweight (from bass to trebble)
- upweight (from bass to trebbel)
- dynamic forces / sound output
- repetition speed
- key movement depth
- key position / damper lift, escape
- several other interesing design parameters
- length of white keys
- hammers head weight
- etc.

As the action is the most important part of the piano, the discussion should be more focused on action characteristics, ease of action regulation, reliabilty.

Of course there is still place for subjective information.

#214401 - 01/18/07 09:01 AM Re: Petrof pianos review - comments?
Axtremus Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Jan-Erik,

You and I basically agree that it would be really nice to have objective, quantitative measurements published for pianos' performance characteristics.

The problem with concentrating on "action" rather than tone, however, is this:

Lots of people can "listen."
Very few can "play."

If the sales pitch is centered around "action," then you'd be pitching something that most people know they cannot[/b] evaluate.

It's easy to ask "can you hear how powerful bass is" or "can you hear the amazing sustain" or "can you hear how beautiful the bell-like treble is" and get nods from a shopper.

If you ask "can you feel how even the action is" or "how responsive the keys are" -- the non-pianist shopper would not even know how to react, and those who do need to sit down and spend a few minutes actually play the piano, instead of just nodding within two seconds of a note being struck.

So it makes more business sense to keep harping on "tone" and compliment a shopper for having a "good ear" as he nods despite his lack of pianistic training.

;\)

#214402 - 01/19/07 04:14 PM Re: Petrof pianos review - comments?
robertp Offline

Loc: Bethlehem PA
When I was shopping for a grand two years ago, Petrof was on my short list, along with Estonia and August Foerster. To a certain extent, it's the particular piano you find. If I hadn't played the last AF I found in the showroom, I might well have bought a Petrof.

#214403 - 01/19/07 04:18 PM Re: Petrof pianos review - comments?
Craigen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: West Coast
Brick is right on in his recollection of the events surrounding this review. The reviewer was one of the gang that promoted this outrage.
Petrofs are decent instruments and are worthy of anyone comparison in shopping for a quality instrument.
They, like most, require technical preparation to perform and show well. The dealers that do this sell them. The ones who don't don't.

#214404 - 01/23/07 12:27 PM Re: Petrof pianos review - comments?
Jan-Erik Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Finland
I would not say a product is decent if it is not ready when leveing the factory. I would say the factory made a sloppy finish on a perhaps basicasally good product.

If I were a manufacturer of pianos, I would not depend on dealers to regulate the action, but would have it done on my factory to the right specs. Also the voicing I would do to hte get the typical X-brand's sound, and to guarentee the eveness from bass to trebbel.

The dealers duty is to expose the piano on a good place in the shop, control that nothing has been damaged/altered during transportation, and to keep the piano in tune.

If a client wants the piano voiced differently in connection with a purchase, that is another story.

I am not out to blame any piano brand here, this concerns all industrial products generally and pianos especially.

#214405 - 01/23/07 01:02 PM Re: Petrof pianos review - comments?
Mark Purney Offline

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Petrof is still on my list of pianos I'd consider.

I played one with the magnetic accelerated action. That's not an option I'd pay money for - didn't feel like a real piano to me.

#214406 - 01/23/07 03:17 PM Re: Petrof pianos review - comments?
Steve Cohen Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
I'm glad that while I was at NAMM others jumped in here and slammed this "review".

It was pure crap when it came out in about 2002 and still is!

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#214407 - 01/23/07 03:44 PM Re: Petrof pianos review - comments?
Keith D Kerman Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Gaithersburg, MD (Washington D...
I am not sure as to whether this thread should be pulled because of the fake review, or left up so that when it is encountered, it can be discredited.
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Charles R. Walter, Brodmann, Feurich
www.pianocraft.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel/videos

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460

#214408 - 01/23/07 04:08 PM Re: Petrof pianos review - comments?
VGrantano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
I can attest to the fact that the asking for an ad
took place. I was the one that turned them down.
Also, in investigating them I checked out some of the people named as their board of directors. Most claimed to not know why they were on the list they were not even aware who they were.
The best was the person named as head of the guitar critics,was the site owners six year old son.I seem to remember it was before 2002 when it first came out.One last thing, up till then Not one 9'Petrof Grand had been delivered to Calif. She claimed to have played one there.

#214409 - 01/23/07 04:12 PM Re: Petrof pianos review - comments?
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
 Quote:
Originally posted by VGrantano:
Also, in investigating them I checked out some of the people named as their board of directors. Most claimed to not know why they were on the list they were not even aware who they were.
The best was the person named as head of the guitar critics,was the site owners six year old son.[/b]
LOL!! Maybe he was a prodigy... \:D

#214410 - 01/23/07 10:36 PM Re: Petrof pianos review - comments?
Glenn Treibitz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles/Burbank
As I remember too that Ann lady said she was a graduate of Curtis and when Geneva called there, they said they never heard of her.

Hollywood Piano Co. - Est.1928
http://www.hollywoodpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/HollywoodPiano

1800 MY-PIANO

Grotrian, Mason&Hamlin, Estonia,Schulze Pollmann,Albert Weber,Baldwin,Brodmann,Ritmuller,Weber,Hardman,Roland,Kurzweil, Used Steinway,Yamaha,Kawai

#1228350 - 07/07/09 10:37 PM Petrof 131E - With Rennor Action [Re: Mike A]
lori822 Offline

Loc: B.C., Canada
Hi,

I'm in the market to upgrade my upright piano. I'm a senior, returning advanced student. I'm interested to read recent information on the Petrof 131E with Rennor action.

Including the Petrof 131E, what advice can anyone give me with regard to choosing an upright piano with rich, full sound, dynamic range, and fast repetition? Unfortunately, I can't go for a grand.... not enough space in a condo.

#1228354 - 07/07/09 10:43 PM Re: Petrof 131E - With Rennor Action [Re: lori822]
Monica K. Offline

Welcome to the forum, lori822. smile You might be better off to start a brand new thread asking your questions, especially since the thread you're piggy-backing on involved some rather, um, controversial issues.

For fast repetition, I'm a big fan of the Kawai actions, so I'd advise you to try a K8.

#1228565 - 07/08/09 01:27 PM Re: Petrof 131E - With Rennor Action [Re: Monica K.]
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The top of the line Yamaha YUS5, the Kawai K-8, the Mason & Hamlin 50, Schulze Pollmann 126P6 will likely please you at or below the current Petrof 131 pricing.

#1228570 - 07/08/09 01:41 PM Re: Petrof 131E - With Rennor Action [Re: Monica K.]
lori822 Offline

Hi Monica,
Thanks for your suggestion, but unfortunately, I'm brand new at this and couldn't figure out how to start a new thread! Can you help me with that?
Lori

#1228577 - 07/08/09 01:49 PM Re: Petrof 131E - With Rennor Action [Re: lori822]
Monica K. Offline

It's not real obvious. Go to the main Piano Forum page, the one that shows the list of all active topics, and right above the index of topics you'll see a little rectangle that says "new topic." Click on that and it will bring up the page you need for starting a topic. But you need to do it from the main forum page; I didn't see a way of starting a new thread from inside another thread.

#1228582 - 07/08/09 01:57 PM Re: Petrof 131E - With Rennor Action [Re: Monica K.]
lori822 Offline

Thanks, Monica. I'll give that a try!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
174 registered (accordeur, Almaviva, 52 invisible), 1757 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74230 Members
42 Forums
153553 Topics
2250420 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
OT: John Passion
by wimpiano
04/18/14 04:33 PM
3/4 time for 6/8 time comping patterns?
by Ben Ther
04/18/14 04:33 PM
Shanks with parallel wood grain
by JohnSprung
04/18/14 04:15 PM
Pinblocks & bridges... How long do they last?
by Piano Practice
04/18/14 03:58 PM
Spinoff: What do we think of "technique seminars"?
by TwoSnowflakes
04/18/14 02:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission