2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hello friends!

I have been regularly been reading the posts on this site for nearly a year now and decided to become a part of the discussions.

I have been mentoring with another tuner who has been in the business for over 30 years. He came to tune my piano one day, and I asked him if he ever wanted an apprentice to let me know, He quickly said, "Ryan, I would love to teach you, I want to be able to retire one day!" (we are located in southeast MO, and most of the tuners in this area have either quit or retired in the past few years. That was over a year ago, I have since tuned over 100 pianos.

About 5 years ago, I acquired a Howard Grand made in 1907.It was located at an old Methodist Church camp. A lady purchased the camp, and hired my father as her electrician. She told him that she had an old piano that she was just going to throw away and wondered if he knew anyone who wanted it. My dad said a quick "Yes, I know someone!" She gave it to us for free, that's been about five years ago. The bench was in pieces, the finished all cracked, mice had built a nest inside of it, and local teenagers had busted beer bottles under the lid. I took it all apart, blew out all kinds of junk with my air compressor, and began the slow restoration work. I know this was never a "top of the line" piano, however it was a great learning experience and is probably what led me into tuning and repair.

A special thanks to "Dr. Woodwind" on Youtube. Your videos have been a TREMENDOUS help in getting the old piano back into regulation as well as the Athur Reblitz book. It now sounds GREAT, the only thing left to do is level the keys. I have been experimenting recently with Bill Bremmer's EBVT III. What a nice sound it gives my piano.

I really admire those of you who can tune aurally, however I personally use Tunelab. I LOVE that program, and 100% of my customers have been pleased. As I said I have tuned well over 100 pianos now.

I am only tuning in a part-time basis, I am also the 6th-12th grade choir teacher at a local public school, as well as the organist/music director at the local Methodist Church. I have a B.S. Degree in Music as well as my Master's Degree in Music. I'm not saying that to brag, however from some of the posts on this forum, I know you guys, like to know people's background. smile

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself, and look forward to discussions with you all. I have learned SO much already from this forum.

Sincerely,
Ryan Hassell

Ryan G. Hassell
Hassell's Piano Tuning
Farmington, MO
www.hassellspianotuning.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hassells-Piano-Tuning/163155880804
ryanhassell@hotmail.com
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Welcome, Ryan (great name, by the way!)

Best wishes on perusing your piano tuning and repair. Don't give up on tuning aurally, however! You will deepen your understanding and appreciation of the craft if you keep working on it. Tunelab can be an excellent tutor for developing your aural tuning skills. Your music background gives you a great head start!

Best wishes, thumb

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Welcome aboard!

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
R
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Welcome!

What Ryan says above is true...and TuneLab or any other program will assist you big time in learning to set an aural temprement, etc....you could start with something simple (old style) and check your work against TuneLab as you go...my guess is it'll come very quickly to you, given your post above...

Best of luck! RPD

MPT(Master Piano Technicians of America)
Member AMICA (Automated Musical Instruments Collector's Association)
(Subscriber PTG Journal)
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician
www.actionpianoservice.com
DEALER Hailun Pianos

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission