2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, 8 invisible), 1,254 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
R
Originally Posted by David Ramezani
By the way, the posted link does not contain the complete studies. It is an abbreviate edition. I have got the complete edition collected in three volumes, where the last one contains twelve etudes.

Would you be so kind to post it? I would really appreciate it laugh
I suppose you're talking about the one not edited by Julio Esteban.

V
V
Originally Posted by r1card0
By the way, the posted link does not contain the complete studies. It is an abbreviate edition. I have got the complete edition collected in three volumes, where the last one contains twelve etudes.

Would you be so kind to post it? I would really appreciate it laugh
I suppose you're talking about the one not edited by Julio Esteban.

Yes, I could not find the unabridged edition. Only the Julio Esteban. Please post it! smile

V
V
To all members and moderators: I am sorry if the posting of mine is actually illegal. I posted what I had downloaded for free from I can't remember where.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Kreisler
Phlebas is correct - editions of works can be copyrighted, even when they contain material that is in the public domain.

For example, if I were writing a book on Liszt and wanted to include examples of the exercises, I could freely notate them with Finale and add them to the book; but I could not freely copy Alfred's edition into my book without permission.

(And Alfred would object - they're the reason nobody can distribute an arrangement of the happy birthday song - they own the copyright to it.)

But, on the other hand, I think it would be legal for someone to scan and make available one of the old, out of copyright, Schuberth editions of the Liszt (I think Schuberth published it twice), without running afoul of the copyright law protecting the Alfred edition. If someone knows otherwise, please correct me. Actually, I am a little surprised no has done that already, and uploaded it to IMSLP. There are copies in various libraries.

Also surprising is that, to my knowledge, no one has put the Hummel piano method online; that would probably be of interest to many. I don't think there even are any editions of it under copyright at this point, so it would be legal.

Funny about "Happy Birthday to You" being under copyright - it also means that royalties are owed whenever it is performed in public.

D
D
An unabridged edition is published by Editio Musica (Budapest) and it is called "Technische Studien".

Best regards,

David Ramezani
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr

Funny about "Happy Birthday to You" being under copyright - it also means that royalties are owed whenever it is performed in public.

That's why you almost never hear it on television or in the movies, and why restaurants always make up their own stupid little chants. (Otherwise, the restaurant would actually have to pay royalty fees.) That's also why the only piano methods to use the happy birthday song are those published by Alfred.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
R
R
An unabridged edition is published by Editio Musica (Budapest) and it is called "Technische Studien".

Is there anywhere that you know of where the pdf can be downloaded for free? I didn't find it at waffles.fm or pianosheets.org frown

If you would allow me, I'd like to say this is an example of a global tragedy: copyright law

What happened is that certain ideas, the only things books can sell, were made disenfranchised from the market. Interested parties have precedent and other interested parties on their side thusly things will remain as they are. Right now, certain ideas are owned by individuals and are made illegal to share off a certain market. The Happy Birthday song is not the sheets of notation yet it is defined thusly. This narrow gulf between reality and law is absurd yet we pay deference to our master because he's got a righteous wad of cash flanked by armies of attorneys.

It is justly suggested that publishing houses do real work and deserve to be paid for their goods. It may be possible to purchase the Alfred or Henle editions of such and such books but this doesn't justify a legal framework for massively inflating the value of ideas. This is a tariff on the traffic of freedom. Ideas are what inspire women and men to act. In this situation, the decision is to purchase the product or not and the result is of little importance to society but a critical mass of prohibitions to freedom curtail the development of new markets and new money.

I wish this were the place to rant about copyright law but I know when to shut my mouth. Can I just have an "Amen"?

=====================
nil volentibus arduum
=====================
D
D
I am sorry! I do not have it on the computer.

However, here is a link to a thesis where the exercises are analysed:

http://unsworks.unsw.edu.au/vital/access/manager/Repository/unsworks:2746

Best regards,

David Ramezani
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Where can you buy the unabridged one?
Wherever I look (on the net) there are heaps of different volumes, editions, things that look similar but are completely different, etc. I don't want to buy the wrong one crazy, which one do I buy?
Thanks

EDIT: Don't worry I found it, maybe next time I should be quicker to check the publishers site laugh

Last edited by nextbigthingg; 11/11/09 11:38 AM.
1RC Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bryan P. Carney
If you would allow me, I'd like to say this is an example of a global tragedy: copyright law

Can I just have an "Amen"?

Amen. I couldn't agree more, and I love the 'Happy Birthday' example because it epitomizes copyright ridculousness, not like there's any shortage of fresh sillyness on the topic.

I heard a radio documentary some time ago, the details are a bit foggy but the idea was the copyright originally came about to protect cultural creators, encourage them to create - so's to enrich the public domain.

It was in response to all sorts of chaos in the publising world. People were freely plagiarizing, legitimate works got distorted, publishers would sell someones work without paying them. So the original copyright gave exclusive rights to the creator for a few years after its creation (somewhere around 12 I think) before it became public domain, so they could earn their money but still have to keep busy producing new works.

Then the length of copyright grew bit by bit until what we have now - 70 years after death, 90 in certain business situations (I believe this is the case with Micky Mouse). That's almost another lifetime, so people can only have free access to culture a generation removed?

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
...and the actual creators are generally not the ones who benefit most.

When copyright law was first conceived, there were no corporations - not in the way we have them now, anyway.

I'm in favour of making copyright law even stricter and nastier than it is now, but at the same time limiting the copyright to five years, and making explicit in the law that any work having demonstrably existed for five years would become public domain, notwithstanding later modification by the author or anything else.

(I'm a piano teacher.)
C
C
On the budapest website which contains the unabridged version of the technical exercises, what are the differences between the blue and grey book? Also, there are individual volumes like volume 7 and 2 and etc. What are the differences between all of these books?

The blue one is like 2-3 times more expensive.

M
M
The blue books are hardcover and very nice quality. The grey is paperback and still pretty high quality. I think the high price tag is due to the fact that it's imported from Hungary. And the individuals are portions of the exercises. I bought the first volume for about 50 bucks and it was a good investment. Planning on getting the other two volumes once I've got volume 1 under my fingers.

"Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties."
-Chopin
C
C
Which version did you buy? I'm guessing the paperback version? It seems wild that being a hardcover adds 40-50 dollars to the cost, especially for volume 3.

For volume 3 as well, there is a description that distinguishes the blue from the grey version that isn't written for the volume 2 and 1 books. It goes,

"This publication is available in two versions: bound in blue linen, or in grey boards. Only the former version contains the descriptions of sources and the critical notes."

Is it only the third volume that requires the blue version to have everything in it?

Last edited by coldness; 10/30/11 11:30 PM.
C
C
bump.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I play out of the liszt exercise book pretty often. I usually pick out certain techniques that I need to improve on. It has pretty much any technical challenge you can think of, and some you can't. I really love how each challenge is present in increasing levels of difficulty. for example if you want to work on double thirds there will be a fairly simple exercise to start with, then several following exercises that build off the previous ones. It's a great book to have.

"I was obliged to be industrious. Whoever is equally industrious will succeed equally well."

J.S. Bach
C
C
Do you have the budapest unabridged version? If so, can you possibly answer the questions I have? I want to know a few of the things before purchasing it myself.

C
C
bump

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by coldness
bump

I don't know if this is possible for you, but if it were me, I'd get them from a library to peruse, using interlibrary loans if necessary.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission