2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 13 invisible), 1,912 guests, and 351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
OP Offline
A
Hi

I am now learning Chopin's Fantaisie Impromptu and in my score(Henle urtext)there are 2 different versions of it. Namely the autograph version(4a)and the fontana version(4b). From what I watched in youtube, I gather that most younger pianists play the 4b version. But I would still like to hear some advise from different people as to which version will be better for me to learn.

apple

Last edited by applecidar; 07/09/09 11:42 AM.

Yours truly
V
V
Never heard of a second version of Fantaisie-impromptu. See which of those two is on Paderewski Edition and/or Edition Peters (Scholtz/Pozniak) -- it should be the same one. Go for that...

...unless you really prefer the other one, that's your taste. But again, I can't remember anything about a second version of this piece.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
You could go with Chopin's recommendation and not play it at all! Other than that, you should make up your own mind.

Semipro Tech
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by applecidar
Hi

I am now learning Chopin's Fantaisie Impromptu and in my score(Henle urtext)there are 2 different versions of it. Namely the autograph version(4a)and the fontana version(4b). From what I watched in youtube, I gather that most younger pianists play the 4b version. But I would still like to hear some advise from different people as to which version will be better for me to learn.

apple

"Better for [you] to learn" in what sense? Most people play the Fontana version. Rubinstein is one of the few recordings I have where the autograph version is performed.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
I was hoping someone who has the Henle would chime in. What are the differences? The commentary to the Paderewski edition makes no reference to discrepancies between the manuscript and Fontana's version.

Steven

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I am working on this piece from the same Henle urtext. I decided to go with the Fontana version (4b) because that's how I've always heard it played. When I first started to learn it I opened the book of Chopin impromptus to the Fantasie Impromptu "page" (not knowing here were two versions) and sight read the first several measures. Somehow it didn't sound right to me. Then I realized I was playing version 4a which was unfamiliar to my ears. Since I learn a lot by listening to interpretations by great pianists I figured I should learn the version most people play.

Steven: I don't have my Henle with me. I'll check it when I get home.

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
In what ways is version 4a different?

Steven

L
L
Originally Posted by BDB
You could go with Chopin's recommendation and not play it at all!

Nice! So many pianists out there (not in here, not in this thread) throw stones on the basis of arbitrary and a-historical notions about composers' "intentions" and how to respect them. Why can't they take their own unsolicited advice in situations like this, when it would actually help? grin Burn those scores, folks, it's what the composer intended!

But seriously, to the OP, surely it's not much additional trouble to learn both variants. They're not very different. Playing them both should help you decide which you prefer.

B
BDB Offline
B
You can take what you like from each version, if you want.

Semipro Tech
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Dang, I sure wonder what those differences are. It would be great if those who are commenting on them could describe them.

Steven

Hi Steven,

I have the Alfred edition (ed. Maurice Hinson) of the 'Fantasie-Impromptu' which, like the Henle, contains both versions in addition to some very helpful explanatory notes about both. It appears that Fontana, in a desire to publish an 'authentic' edition of Chopin's unpublished works, sourced the piece from two autograph copies, but heavily edited the work, filling it with expression marks not in the manuscripts (tempo/metronome markings, dynamic signs, etc.) and 'regularising' Chopin's slurs. However, because the Chopin edition (from the manuscripts) was not intented to be published, it sometimes seems less 'finished' than the Fontana, e.g. with placing of accents in bars 13-22 and 91-98, that Chopin may well have included later.

All pedal indications in the Fontana edition are by him and not Chopin, who only left pedal indications at bars 41-45. Dynamic differences include just a ‘forte’ marking with a decrescendo to the end of bar 1, as opposed to Fontana’s sforzando with no dim. A ‘con anima’ is given instead of ‘sotto voce’ at bar 43. There are differences in note values at some turns (e.g. b. 49 RH- Chopin has quavers to start with the D-flat in the LH, whereas Fontana has demisemiquavers) and at other points such as bar 60, where the RH figure is notated by Chopin as a semiquaver group of 7 as opposed to Fontana, who has it notated as a quaver group of 7. The phrasing of the entire middle section in the Chopin is totally different as well.

These are just a few of the many differences; some of them are quite subtle but make a big difference in performance...it’s quite interesting to compare the two versions side-by-side!

Hope this helps,

Andrew

Last edited by 20thCentury; 07/09/09 08:44 PM.
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Andrew, I appreciate your effort.

FWIW, I was especially puzzled by jazzyprof's comment that the autograph version "didn't sound right" based on just "the first several measures"; perhaps that was hyperbole.

Thanks again for your help.

Steven

Steven, the most noticeable differences (at least to my mind) are in the middle section, so yes, perhaps a bit of hyperbole going on there. The first 'several' measures contain subtle differences in dynamics, pedalling (i.e. it is marked in Fontana!), accents and phrasing, although exactly how 'different' it actually sounds depends, of course, on who is playing.

Andrew

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Steven,

There are some really striking differences between this composition, as we know it today, and what Chopin apparently wrote for his student. You really have to get a source and examine the differences for yourself. There are a few details that I like, but for the most part I find the original very much less effective than what we know.

The advantage to having both is that you can choose to mix them. After all, Fontana, seems to have been very willful about the choices he made. There is no reason not to choose some of Chopin's original ideas in places except, of course, that you would be flying in the face of tradition. Shame, shame!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sotto voce

FWIW, I was especially puzzled by jazzyprof's comment that the autograph version "didn't sound right" based on just "the first several measures"; perhaps that was hyperbole.

Hyperbole? Moi? I resemble that remark! smile Anyway, to my ears, the differences are clear within the first few measures and it is not just a matter of phrasing and dynamics but actual pitch differences. Have a look at the bass line in measures 5 and 6 below. In version 4a the fourth note in the second group of eighth notes is a G#. In the Fontana version it's an E. When I played the first version it sounded like an error to me because I was used to hearing the E.
[Linked Image]

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
I'm perplexed because I was completely unaware of an alternate version of the Fantaisie-Impromptu. Maybe I've just forgotten, but I don't recall it ever being mentioned in the many discussions that such a popular composition would naturally elicit, and, as I said previously, the Paderewski edition's commentary—a good resource for precisely this sort of variation among editions—makes no mention of it. (And yet the Paderewski edition of the Waltzes offers alternate versions of three posthumous pieces: Op. 69 No. 1 (Fontana and MS), Op. 69 No. 2 (Fontana and Oxford University edition) and Op. 70 No. 2 (Fontana and MSS).

Until now, the only variant with which I was familiar was Klindworth's ossia for bar 72 that distinguishes the descending figure from its first appearance in bar 60. But neither did I know (to the best of my memory) that the piece was written for one of Chopin's student. Live and learn!

Steven

Edit: jazzyprof, thanks very much for the visual aid. I took your reference to the "first several measures" literally, and imagined that the introduction (i.e., the left hand's unaccompanied cadential octaves and repeated broken chords) was different. blush

Last edited by sotto voce; 07/09/09 11:49 PM. Reason: p.s. to jazzyprof
A
OP Offline
A
Hi

Thanks all for your valuable advice! I think I'll most likely go with the fontana version. Btw, which is Chopin's original version, is it the fontana? Oh, and Steven, I can describe the differences to you though it is a bit hard to explain through just a post, but I'll try my best. Ok, basically the fontana version is kinda easier because you don't have to stretch your fingers too much. For example, in the part where the right hand first comes in, for the autograph version, the left hand goes like this: C#-G#-C#-E-C#-G#, E-G#-C#-G#-C#-G# whereas in the fontana version, instead of E-G#-C#-G#-C#-G#, it goes E-G#-C#-E-C#-G#. So the G# is replaced with a E, so you don't have to stretch too much. But in my opinion, it's more simple and not as "colourful" as the autograph version because on the fontana version the highest note of the left hand is always repeated instead of going a bit higher. Also , fontana is easier because for instance in the 2nd page, the left hand for the autograph version starts like this: A-C#-F#-A-C#-F#, A-C#-F#-C#-C#-F# whereas for the fontana version it's: A-C#-F#-A-F#-C#, A-C#-F#-A-F#-C#. So it does not have the changing note, making it easier. Also, for both versions, their second last chord is different. The second last chord for the autograph version has an additional low C# as compared with the fontana version which is only C#,G#,F#,G#,B#,D#. These are the main differences that I have spotted, hope that my explanation is clear enough. Those who have spotted any other differences, feel free to add on smile

apple

Yours truly
WAR Offline
Thanks jazzyprof. I couldn't find any other reference on the Internet showing the actual differences in the NOTES between the two versions. I've been practicing the unedited original version which shows up first in the Alfred edition and it does sound different from what is commonly played.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by WAR
Thanks jazzyprof. I couldn't find any other reference on the Internet showing the actual differences in the NOTES between the two versions. I've been practicing the unedited original version which shows up first in the Alfred edition and it does sound different from what is commonly played.

You're thanking jazzyprof for something he wrote over three years ago. I guess it's "better late than not at all."

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Here's a little something I prepared earlier - from ABF. Notice the big accents in the LH (also in jazzy's 4a, though not as dramatic looking). I'll bet you don't hear those too often. Also, if you're going for the LH G#'s the accents and the crescendos go without saying. Chopin never had one tune where he could have at least two or three! (like his hero Bach):

Originally Posted by chopin_r_us
Hi again oh great Chopin ones! I got Hinson's FI (Mme d'Este's manuscript) as recommended by Elene (I think). Has anybody access to either Fontana's or d'Este's? In bar 5 Hinton's crescendo takes the whole bar whilst Fontana's [sorry, Klindworth] only the first half (then followed by a decrescendo). My guess is Fontana made his up - Hinton seems urtext. Any help here?

edit: since found this at youtube - so Hinson is certainly right:
[Linked Image]

Anybody got access to Fontana's?

Laissez tomber les mains
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission