Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1230648 - 07/12/09 09:43 PM MALAGUENA
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NY
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone here is working on or has done the piece "Malaguena" (Ernesto Lecuona). I'm still just trying to figure out the key. This seems like a big challenge, but I'd really like to learn it. eek Any tips appreciated. smile

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1230696 - 07/12/09 11:47 PM Re: MALAGUENA [Re: Elssa]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
It will probably not surprise anybody to know that I own the sheet music to this piece. It was my mother's favorite piece of classical music, so it has a special place in my heart. One of these years I would love to be able to play it... but it's not going to happen this, or the next, decade.

As for the key, er, is the obvious guess that it's in E major not right? Maybe it's C# minor? [Decides to quit while she's very very far behind.]

If piano*dad doesn't see this, you might try giving him a PM. I know that he was helping his son learn this a while back.

Edited by Monica K. (07/12/09 11:56 PM)

#1231029 - 07/13/09 04:25 PM Re: MALAGUENA [Re: Monica K.]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It's really an amazing piece, isn't it?! I guess I'm confused about the key because the opening and closing chords seem to be C# major, with an E major key signature...We must have the same arrangement. I think this is the original arrangement, and I'd like to take a shot at playing this one through in a half decent way before I give up and use an easy arrangement. Anyone interested in starting a thread and studying this piece together? It'll probably take me at least a year to learn, but it would sure be helpful to discuss things, the chords, fingering, etc. (My arrangement doesn't have any fingering, and I'm stuck already on the bottom of the first page where those beautiful but tricky runs start in). shocked
Thanks. smile

#1231046 - 07/13/09 05:01 PM Re: MALAGUENA [Re: Elssa]
Mike White Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: 90 miles West of New Orleans
Check out U-Tube. Some of the recordings show the keyboard as the piece is being played. I'm going to try the hard spots before I commit to learning this piece.
Mike

Yamaha G3 & P-80 Digital

#1231134 - 07/13/09 08:54 PM Re: MALAGUENA [Re: Mike White]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Mike,

Well, I found this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWmep79jXKg

The video isn't clear, but the sound is pretty good. I was following along with the sheet music... I thought he did a very good job, though there were some mistakes that I noticed. I think this piece is rated as intermediate/advanced in difficulty. I would rate it more advanced, and I'm at an intermediate/advanced level with the classical, so it's a bit of a stretch for me but most likely doable with some practice. I'm trying not to be intimidated by it, though, and will just try to do the best I can with it. It's probably difficult for most people, but worth a try IMO even if you have to leave out a few notes. It's such a gorgeous classic piece, if I can just capture the spirit of it and most of the notes, I'll be pretty happy.. Perfection for me is not a goal with this one! Everyone loves it and it would just be great to play it in some form. smile

#1231137 - 07/13/09 09:08 PM Re: MALAGUENA [Re: Elssa]
Varcon Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Mount Vernon, Georgia 30445
It's in C# minor--the relative minor of E major. They have the same key signature. If you're something of a novice you might seek some help with parts of this one. Or study some technical exercises that help develop you ability to handle it. Lecuona himself has a recording which you might be able to find. Malaguena is part of the Andalucia Suite which has some other interesting pieces too.

#1231141 - 07/13/09 09:17 PM Re: MALAGUENA [Re: Varcon]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
It's in C# minor--the relative minor of E major. They have the same key signature.

I was confused because the first and closing chord is C# Major, not minor. Why is that? Thanks.

P.S. I'm not a novice. I'm at the level of playing Clair de Lune

#1231288 - 07/14/09 07:00 AM Re: MALAGUENA [Re: Elssa]
Varcon Offline
1000 Post Club Member

You will see that the E has a # (sharp) in the opening chord and all three are major. Spanish music is influenced by Moorish heritages and Lecuona, tho Cuban, is well aware of it.

If you are playing Clair de Lune, then you should be able to play this. Why you have such trepidations, knowing this, I'm not sure.

#1231289 - 07/14/09 07:01 AM Re: MALAGUENA [Re: Elssa]
Varcon Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Apologies--double post! frown

Edited by Varcon (07/14/09 11:05 AM)
Edit Reason: double post

#1232219 - 07/15/09 09:10 PM Re: MALAGUENA [Re: Varcon]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
It's in C# minor--the relative minor of E major.

Some sites rate it as advanced.. For me, I think parts of it are advanced and parts are intermediate. Does it use the "Picardy third", being that it ends on a major chord? Do you play it, Varcon, and do you have a recording? That's always helpful. Thanks. smile

P.S. Do you know of any copy in this key that has fingering?

Edited by Elssa (07/15/09 10:06 PM)

#1232651 - 07/16/09 07:40 PM Re: MALAGUENA [Re: Elssa]
deane0801 Offline

Originally Posted By: Elssa
Quote:
It's in C# minor--the relative minor of E major. They have the same key signature.

I was confused because the first and closing chord is C# Major, not minor. Why is that? Thanks.

P.S. I'm not a novice. I'm at the level of playing Clair de Lune

It's a "Picardy" closes piece on a brighter note than in the minor

#1233018 - 07/17/09 03:48 PM Re: MALAGUENA [Re: Elssa]
Varcon Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes, I've programmed the entire Andalucia Suite and played Malaguena on a couple of programs with some Albeniz pieces. No, I don't have a recording that I have done but Lecuona, himself, has a recording of it. Why not search for that--the interpretation, tempo, etc., should be very authentic! smile

I don't know of an edition with fingering. I have the 'Suite' and none of the pieces are with fingering and I have the sheet music for Malaguena and there is no fingering on it either.

#2004891 - 12/27/12 11:00 AM Re: MALAGUENA [Re: Elssa]
Zevy Offline

Originally Posted By: Elssa
Quote:

Hello everyone.

I am new here and I probably will not hang around too long as I am an accordionist. I played and recorded Malaguena. The key is confusing, and the main culprit is the “incorrect” key signature. The piece is a "Fandango", where the music is constantly switching from the C# Phrygian scale to the D Major scale, creating loads of tension each time. It is also interesting in the way the music takes on a completely different property when it moves into D Major (e.g. the beginning of the "a piacere" section until right before the end).

The original score was printed with four sharps in the key signature. In my arrangement, I removed the last sharp (D#) so that all the unnecessary D natural accidentals that were printed throughout are avoided. The music is still enharmonically identical. IMHO, the only thing I don't understand about Lecuona is why he used 4 sharps, thus confusing everybody here. I once spoke about this issue with a Lecuona expert and he agreed that the 4 sharp key signature is misleading. It may have been inadvertently thrown in because of the 3rd chord (E major).

I do have another hypothesis about this, but it's too long for now.

Good luck, everyone!

Zevy
www.oliveblossoms.com

Edited by Zevy (12/27/12 05:10 PM)
Edit Reason: content change

#2004951 - 12/27/12 01:24 PM Re: MALAGUENA [Re: Elssa]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Calgary Alberta
Hi Elssa. About a year ago I bought a Lecuona book with the dream of playing Malagueña. It was supposed to be an 'easier' intermediate arrangement but as written it was way above my level. I'm just now studying grade 5 RCM. I was sad because it is such a great piece. There is a video online ofa young woman playing it that will wow you! I'll have to look for it and send you the link. I don't remember her name but I remember she was wearing a beautiful red dress.

Anyway back then I showed this to my teacher and she was struggling with the big reaches and movements. So ever since then I put it away.

Perhaps it is time to pull it out again and give it a look. As you say perhaps I can simplify parts of it and maintain the spirit of it. The version I have is in a red book with several other pieces. And I'll look for that amazing video.

#2004955 - 12/27/12 01:31 PM Re: MALAGUENA [Re: Elssa]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Look up the name Anat Navarro on YouTube. She plays this amazingly! I've watched her video many times!

#2005872 - 12/29/12 02:58 AM Re: MALAGUENA [Re: ZoeCalgary]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ZoeCalgary
Look up the name Anat Navarro on YouTube. She plays this amazingly! I've watched her video many times!

Thanks, Zoe, Zevy & all. Found it - beautiful! smile

Edited by Elssa (12/29/12 03:01 AM)

#2005874 - 12/29/12 03:24 AM Re: MALAGUENA [Re: Elssa]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Elssa I'm glad you found it. Isn't she amazing? Well I'd love to say I could join you on your journey but I still think this is waaaaay beyond me. I'll show it to my new teacher in January though to get her thoughts. I may have to rewrite the whole piece for it to be within my reach hahaha! Still I do love it and would love to be able to play it. I have a really easy version as well. Maybe that will give me some ideas to simplify the harder version.

#2005876 - 12/29/12 03:36 AM Re: MALAGUENA [Re: ZoeCalgary]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Hi Zoe...Yes, breathtaking! shocked Well, this certainly inspires me.. I'm going to give it another try now - though will have to leave out a few notes! lol smile

#2005996 - 12/29/12 11:47 AM Re: MALAGUENA [Re: Elssa]
Chopinlover49 Offline
500 Post Club Member

I have the original sheet music and the cd of Lecuona playing it. Wonderful piece, but difficult for me, too. I can play this easily in a different key and cutting the chords down to single notes in many places, but as written, I have trouble with it. Of course, I am self-taught and not advanced. I bought the whole Lecuona book for this one song. However, I have found some other nice pieces in the book that I can play, so I will keep working at it. The four sharps keeps tripping me up because of the accidentals.

#2006014 - 12/29/12 12:25 PM Re: MALAGUENA [Re: Elssa]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
My piano teacher played this as one of the pieces in the recital she did for us a couple of years ago. Beautiful...way over my talent level.

Love to learn

#2006017 - 12/29/12 12:27 PM Re: MALAGUENA [Re: ZoeCalgary]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Zoe
How's your level 5 prep coming? I've pushed my plan ahead to May and who knows I may have them memorized by then. Sweet sorrow is not up to speed yet and the left hand in the first measures is not smooth or quiet enough. Getting there though

Love to learn

#2006126 - 12/29/12 04:55 PM Re: MALAGUENA [Re: Elssa]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

]Hi Wisebuff. I just recently restarted lessons after putting them on hold for about 6 months. I started with a new teacher and really enjoying te process. She uses a different approach in that she prefers students play through about 2/3 of both the exercises and repertoire books. Not getting each piece to mastery but close. I am thus learning many pieces at the same time and feel my learning is better (though slower) if that makes any sense. I guess getting through more music is helping me lots.

I will have a bit more time for awhile as I am in the middle of changing jobs so I plan to take full advantage of that!

My scales are aweful. I really got away from doing them after I had done my grade 4 exam last April and I'm sad to say it shows! And let's not talk about ear training. Ugh!

I like this teachers approach as it allows for more learning and variety and in a way seems to relieve the pressure of prepping (at least so far!). Plus I've been doing Christmas and other fun pieces as well.

I doubt I'll be ready for Spring exams. Perhaps targeting next Winter is more realistic but I'm ok with that. My teacher said I would be ready in no time as I've had some really good days/lessons but then there's those weeks that can only be described as crash/burn! Haha!

From the RCM I'm currently working on:

- Sonatina in A minor (1st movement)
- In Church

Oh my what a long note! Sorry Elssa! I just don't want to redo it as I was typing on my phone!

Edited by ZoeCalgary (12/29/12 04:56 PM)

#2006134 - 12/29/12 05:16 PM Re: MALAGUENA [Re: Elssa]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Thanks for the update Zoe. Cheering you on from Coloorado. Karen

Love to learn

#2006296 - 12/30/12 12:19 AM Re: MALAGUENA [Re: Chopinlover49]
Elssa Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Chopinlover49
I have the original sheet music and the cd of Lecuona playing it. Wonderful piece, but difficult for me, too. I can play this easily in a different key and cutting the chords down to single notes in many places, but as written, I have trouble with it. Of course, I am self-taught and not advanced. I bought the whole Lecuona book for this one song. However, I have found some other nice pieces in the book that I can play, so I will keep working at it. The four sharps keeps tripping me up because of the accidentals.

Well, in general, I like to study the key & chord structure of any piece or tune and make up my own arrangement. My hands are small, so am going to have to make modifications as usual. Just trying to capture the beautiful spirit of it. smile

#2008277 - 01/02/13 11:37 PM Re: MALAGUENA [Re: Elssa]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hi Elssa I finally got brave enough to pull out my Lecuona book and look at the Malagueña piece. The book us called Lecuona's Best Made Easier For You. My copy is in the key if A minor? It has the G note sharpened so I think that makes it A minor vs C major as there are bi sharps in the key signature.

Anyway it has 6 pages. I could kind of get through page one and then all the runs start Yikes!! Trouble!!

It doesn't look as intimidating as I remembered it but I will need help to figure out how most parts are supposed to sound. Still intimidating! But I'm not giving up yet. It really sounds so awesome and looks fun to play i would love to learn it.

How are you making out with it so far?

#2008301 - 01/03/13 12:36 AM Re: MALAGUENA [Re: WiseBuff]
ZoeCalgary Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: WiseBuff
Thanks for the update Zoe. Cheering you on from Coloorado. Karen

Thanks Karen! And right back at you!

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Interview with Leon Fleisher
by vlhorowitz
18 minutes 35 seconds ago
by vlhorowitz
19 minutes 21 seconds ago
by vlhorowitz
19 minutes 57 seconds ago
First sonata
by amt976
Today at 03:38 AM
Is it necessary a classic base to play virtuosic jazz ?
by Nahum
Today at 03:18 AM
Who's Online
70 registered (alexbergauer, Barly, AliAlkhiro, amt976, Anne H, 16 invisible), 1021 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76384 Members
42 Forums
157911 Topics
2319095 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission