Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
142 registered (Alegretto, accordeur, Auver, anamnesis, ajames, 48 invisible), 1666 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1231742 - 07/15/09 12:00 AM KAWAI EP-308, Yamaha CP-70
genemusic111 Offline

Loc: L.A., CA
Hello! For all you tech-ies I have a question:

I was considering getting a Kawai Ep-308 electric grand which is like the Yamaha Cp-70. Would you guys know of any issues I might come across with the Ep-308? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

love and music,

genemusic111

(ad PTG 757) The Value of PTG Membership
The Value of a PTG Membership
#1231752 - 07/15/09 12:22 AM Re: KAWAI EP-308, Yamaha CP-70 [Re: genemusic111]
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
I have never seen an EP-308, but I understand that they only have one string per note, rather than two like the CP series. This would make them more susceptible to losing all the strings on a given note, which can interrupt a performance.

#1231821 - 07/15/09 05:48 AM Re: KAWAI EP-308, Yamaha CP-70 [Re: BDB]
Gregor Offline

Loc: M√ľnster, Germany
Furthermore, the Kawai is not dismountable (as far I remember). The Yamaha can be dismounted in two parts for transport.

Gregor

#1231871 - 07/15/09 09:37 AM Re: KAWAI EP-308, Yamaha CP-70 [Re: Gregor]
Steve Jackson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto

Well, Chris Stainton used to play the Kawai until he got
a Kurzweil. I think it has 2 strings per note, but not sure
about the dismounting part.

http://stevejacksonpianos.com

#1239812 - 07/29/09 04:46 PM Re: KAWAI EP-308, Yamaha CP-70 [Re: Steve Jackson]
stuka Offline

Heya Genemusic,

I have *both* a Kawai EP-308M ("M" means with MIDI) and a Yammy CP-70. I'll be happy to answer any questions I can for you.

First, let me start by saying that the EP-308 is duplex-strung like the CP, not single-strung all the way up. There are other, upright models of Kawai Ep's that are single strung, but the 308 is double-strung. It sounds NICE.

If you are familiar with the CP, you know that it comes apart into two smaller (but still fairly heavy and bulky) parts for transport. The EP-308 does not do this, but can be pivoted on its base so that it stands upright, sort of taking up the same space as a smallish spinet piano.

You can download a user manual for the EP-308 (and see how this works)at:

http://www.kawaius-tsd.com/OM/DIGITAL/EP308EP308S.pdf

If you get one of these pianos make sure to ask if it comes with the pedal and power supply. It's rather a pain to replace these, though it can be done, or worked around. A Yammy CP pedal can be used, but the rod is a different length and diameter, so a custom one would have to be made (a threaded rod and a matched sleeve of the proper lengths would suffice).

The base for the EP-308 has its wheels on a sort of trapezoidal pattern, rather than rectangular, and this will be a consideration if you gig with this piano, especially going up stairs and ramps and such. When I start gigging with this piano, I am going to make a base/skid for it, and probably dedicate a set of Rol-r-Kari's (great for moving Hammond organs and such) for it.

The sound is fantastic. Get thee quickly to these videos of Jeff Lorber playing one on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDj4tpfbf4E&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6QfHwEfh-Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaAG7_MzkeA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrlaHpqnkGM&feature=related

Yes, that's Dave Koz on the sax as well. Nice hair. Heh.

Oh, and here's one of Jeff playing a CP-70, BTW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tan8lE4DuDM&feature=related

Jeff is accessible via Email, BTW.

The power supply is 12V and uses the same Cannon XLR-2A-11C connector as the CP-70 does. For information on replacing teh power supply, or for building a back-up power supply (ALWAYS a good idea for any piece of musical equipment), go to this page:

http://www.oceanbeach.com/ches/daves_gear/cp70ps.html

There is a URL for a supplier that carries these connector plugs. I recommend that anyone owning a Yammy CP or Kawai EP have a couple extras, just in case they decide to quit making them. BTW I'm the "Matt" that he refers to, who provided the link to the supplier. The power supply itself is easy, the CP uses a 12V supply, and it has to be at least 250 mA, anything over 250 mA will work. I don't think you can find anything less than 250mA these days, but check it anyway to be sure. I am not sure of the amperage on the EP-308, but it should be about in the same ballpark, and it might say on the Kawai adapter, but if not, go high and you'll be safe. You only have to meet the minimum amperage requirement. The EP-308M I have uses a different, 24V power supply (because of the MIDI section), and mine came without the power supply (or the pedal, grrrr grrrr grrrr), and I used a 24V laptop power supply, with the Cannon XLR-2A-11C I got from onlinecomponents.com. The positive lead goes to the #2 terminal, and ground to #1, both of which are marked on the plastic front face of the plug.

Anyway, I recommend this piano over the CP-70 first and foremost because it has 88 keys! ;-) My brother (who lives in another state) just picked up a CP-80, and one day I hope to convince him to drag it up for a head-to-head shootout, though the fairer shootout for the EP-308M would be against a CP-80M.

Any more questions or discussion would be welcome, I do like this piano and I talking about this piano ;-)

#1239885 - 07/29/09 05:42 PM Re: KAWAI EP-308, Yamaha CP-70 [Re: stuka]
stuka Offline

Oh, on the technical side, the Kawai EP-308, UNLIKE the Yammy CP-70, has a grand piano action that can be removed just like a regular acoustic grand piano's. The Yammy's is built into the case, rather than on a key frame like the Kawai and all acoustic grands. This is a very important difference for your piano tech or for you, if you will be learning how to *properly* tune, regulate, and repair your own piano.

I recommend that you have a professional piano technician tune the CP-70 and the EP-308. Because it doesn't use a thin soundboard like an acoustic piano does, and because of the inherent stability of the design, it will not require tuning as frequently as an acoustic piano would -- which would be on every change of venue, and in some venues every day. This is one of the original selling points of these pianos, along with their inherent portability and theh fact of being able to play the same piano with the same touch response and sound wherever you go. But tuning a piano is a lot more complicated and involved than it looks. It's *always* worth the money to have a qualified tech tune it.

Edited by stuka (07/29/09 05:43 PM)

#1241805 - 08/01/09 09:37 PM Re: KAWAI EP-308, Yamaha CP-70 [Re: stuka]
stuka Offline

News Flash:

There is a Kawai EP-308 at auction today through August 5th on Ebay, it's Item # 170366478627 .

Lots of pics of this piano on the auction page, including pics of it folded up.

Edited by stuka (08/01/09 09:42 PM)

#1247642 - 08/12/09 12:06 AM Re: KAWAI EP-308, Yamaha CP-70 [Re: stuka]
Pacifist Offline

Loc: Edmonds, WA
First post. Woot!

Anyways... stuka this comment is mostly directed towards you because you own both pianos. I am looking to buy an electric-acoustic piano and would like to see which one sounds the best to my ears. I was wondering if there are any resources where the same song has been recorded through both pianos through a line out to a/b the sound? It would preferably be a dynamic performance.

If there aren't any, is it possible for you to record through both pianos and then post it on this thread for everyone to see? It would help immensely - i don;t think I've even heard the Kawai before...

Thanks a bunch,

Edit: If you guys have a Yamaha cp70, you can bypass some of the shittier circuitry components, and make it output with a "fuller" tone. Just follow this link: http://www.dempseyrecordmaking.com/wordpress/?p=274

Pacifist

Edited by Pacifist (08/12/09 12:12 AM)

#1250324 - 08/16/09 02:12 PM Re: KAWAI EP-308, Yamaha CP-70 [Re: Pacifist]
FjellStalker Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Pacifist

Edit: If you guys have a Yamaha cp70, you can bypass some of the shittier circuitry components, and make it output with a "fuller" tone. Just follow this link: http://www.dempseyrecordmaking.com/wordpress/?p=274

Pacifist

Do you have any more info on this or photos? It sounds really simple but I'd like to see it. thanks

#1365541 - 02/04/10 12:13 PM Re: KAWAI EP-308, Yamaha CP-70 [Re: FjellStalker]
Daniel Dempsey Offline

Loc: Hollywood, California
Hey guys, I've shut down the "dempseyrecordmaking" site, but have reposted the "CP-70 bypass mod" instructions on my blog here:

http://www.getgoodtone.blogspot.com/

I don't have pictures or video right now unfortunately, (I'll document the next one I do), but it's a really simple process and I think my instructions are clear. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hope that helps!

#1374034 - 02/14/10 09:19 PM Re: KAWAI EP-308, Yamaha CP-70 [Re: Daniel Dempsey]
Aaron M. Offline

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
hello guys and gals, I'm ready to purchase a kawai EP308 to replace my CP-70 as we are touring most of the year and the CP is becoming quite a pain to setup before each show and to tear down after. One EP308 I'm looking at is missing the pedal but comes with a road case at a great price. Should I steer clear of this one or buy it and try to find a pedal for it or fabricate my own? Thanks for your time,

Aaron M.
Seabirdmusic.com

#1390729 - 03/07/10 08:04 PM Re: KAWAI EP-308, Yamaha CP-70 [Re: Aaron M.]
Ben Garrett Offline

Loc: United States
Hey aaron-
I recently (November) chose a Kawai EP-308 for year long touring and got a really great place from Seale KeyWorks in Nashville...But it's March and I'm still trying to find a sustain pedal for it...although, i just recently started talking to a guy from http://vintagemusicparts.com/ ...and they usually specialize in Yamaha CP pedals...but he said he could absolutely make a custom made Kawai EP rod/pedal if I could get the specs to him.

....So, there is definitely hope for the Kawai. Btw, I was at your Nashville show last year for GMA and I saw the set up and everything for the Yamaha and I must say...the Kawai is so much more compact for a touring band.

Hope that helps!
Cheers!

#1429011 - 05/03/10 01:37 PM Re: KAWAI EP-308, Yamaha CP-70 [Re: Ben Garrett]
ahchi Offline

Check My Kaiwa EP-308 on you tube and
CP-70 EP-308 side by side

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3japoNthyIk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ5OO1z5kLo

#1718311 - 07/21/11 08:43 PM Re: KAWAI EP-308, Yamaha CP-70 [Re: genemusic111]
pudditorium Offline

Hello guys
i found out that kawai ep 308 in town but it does not have power supply
is there any way to figure out that problem?
any advice will be appreciated ! !

#1932076 - 07/25/12 12:33 AM Re: KAWAI EP-308, Yamaha CP-70 [Re: genemusic111]
Keegan Offline

Loc: Canada (Ottawa, ON)
There is a Kawai EP-308 for sale in my area for $1500. I'm going to see it in the next few days. Do you guys think it's a good price assuming condition is good? (Apparently it has just been regulated as well)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
- > Gift Ideas for Music Lovers < -
From PianoSupplies.com a division of Piano World.
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
scales are a struggle
by LarryShone
8 minutes 28 seconds ago
forum extremely slow?
by wouter79
47 minutes 16 seconds ago
Why do we play?
by Jytte
Today at 04:14 PM
Need Help About Accidentals
by Batuhan
Today at 03:29 PM
REPOST: Freaked out by how roughly movers handled piano
by kaustin
Today at 03:10 PM
Forum Stats
77354 Members
42 Forums
159993 Topics
2349541 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission