Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1230728 - 07/13/09 01:30 AM Teaching Lessons
Pianos_N_Cheezecake Offline

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Hey, all! Just looking for any random but relative advice to teaching. I am a 3rd year university student and i've advertised myself as a popular/jazz/classical private instructor for the fall. I've never taught before and I am wondering if there are any experienced teachers out there who can give me any advice about ANYTHING that comes to mind regarding the administrative/business side of things or the hands on teaching experience itself. Make sense? For example... my friend told me "Make sure you get them to sign a contract saying that if they don't show up for a lesson and don't give notice then they have to pay the full amount for that lesson regardless"... good advice right there. Something I didn't think of! Any others?

Miranda

Piano & Music Accessories
#1230770 - 07/13/09 05:47 AM Re: Teaching Lessons [Re: Pianos_N_Cheezecake]
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yea, your friend is telling you the right thing. I don't usually require a contract, but I do ask them to notify me 24hrs in advance if they have to miss lessons.. If they fail to do that once, I will let them know that in the future I will have to charge them for the time.

Do you have a proffesonal resume, demo, and other stuff that people can look at for reference? It might help to set up a website of some sort too that people can go and check out.

#1230777 - 07/13/09 06:55 AM Re: Teaching Lessons [Re: etcetra]
lilylady Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: boston north
Are we to assume that you have had more than 3 yrs of piano study and that by calling yourself a 3rd yr U. student that it is not just 3 yrs of piano study?

There has been SO MUCH of what you are asking already on the TEACHER's SECTION of this forum, that all you need to do is go there and read some of the recent to older threads. There are even references to websites where complete studio protocal is written out!

And best of luck to you! Teaching can be very rewarding.

Edited by lilylady (07/13/09 06:56 AM)

#1230945 - 07/13/09 01:18 PM Re: Teaching Lessons [Re: lilylady]

Oh yes, lol I should have specified. I am a professional gigging musician and have been studying since I was 5. I will definitly check out those forums. For some reason I didn't even know they existed! Thanks!

#1230949 - 07/13/09 01:22 PM Re: Teaching Lessons [Re: Pianos_N_Cheezecake]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Pianos_N_Cheezecake
Hey, all! Just looking for any random but relative advice to teaching. I am a 3rd year university student and i've advertised myself as a popular/jazz/classical private instructor for the fall. I've never taught before and I am wondering if there are any experienced teachers out there who can give me any advice about ANYTHING that comes to mind regarding the administrative/business side of things or the hands on teaching experience itself. Make sense? For example... my friend told me "Make sure you get them to sign a contract saying that if they don't show up for a lesson and don't give notice then they have to pay the full amount for that lesson regardless"... good advice right there. Something I didn't think of! Any others?

Miranda

I wouldn't study with a teacher who required a contract. Especially since you're just starting out.

Becoming a good teacher takes a long time, whether it's piano, elementary school, or college. You have to get a system, an approach, good hand outs, a plan, and then you will get referrals.

As a consumer of piano teachers, and many other teachers (having a teen), I'd recommend the following:

1. Offer a complimentary half hour lesson or 1 hour lesson/interview. You will not only be able to let them get to know you, but you'll get a sense of what the student is looking for.

2. Read some books/websites written by piano teachers, I really liked The Perfect Note....

3. Think about the piano teachers you've had. Who inspired you, motivated, taught you the most...? Whom do you wish to emulate?

4. Be really clear in your own mind why you are giving lessons. Is it something you want to do? Is it a way to support your other musical aspirations?

5. Then start your business knowing yourself. Print up some nice business cards, and flyers, and post them at the local college music departments and at music stores.

6. Put an ad on Craig's List.

7. Become a member of one of the localbranches of a music teacher organizations, such as MTA or the other one. You'll get referrals, but you'll also have to have some credentials first.

Our state MTA branch just held a HUGE convention in Santa Clara California for 4 days with Master Classes, seminars on starting and maintaining a music business. If I were teaching piano, I would have been there in a jiffy.

8. If you want a special niche, study something like the Alexander technique, or take a seminar with the pianist at Freeing the Caged Bird. You can get a certification and advertise that. Ergonomics are a huge deal right now because of computer use and playing the piano is at least as ergonomically challenging.

9. Are you a 3rd year music major? Is it a good music department? Can you get references from any of your professors. You definitely want to advertise if you are a music major.

Good luck!

#1231197 - 07/13/09 11:42 PM Re: Teaching Lessons [Re: Nikalette]

Thanks, Nikalette. I am taking notes! I am a music major from a music department that I respect very much. Very good program. I could likely get references from my professors, but I am confused as to what for. For the students? Or for the seminars, etc?

#1231454 - 07/14/09 01:08 PM Re: Teaching Lessons [Re: Pianos_N_Cheezecake]
JazzPianoEducator Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
Do you plan on teaching in a studio or going to the students house? If it is the latter, making sure you manage your time will be important. Also, don't book lessons too far away unless the student is willing to pay for the extra driving time / gas. I had a period where I had several students on a couple of back to back days that were all in different locations. If you don't allow yourself a good amount of time in between lessons, you'll stress yourself out if one lesson goes over as it will back up all the other lessons and you'll find yourself trying to drive too fast to get to the next lesson!

Ideally, i think it's best to teach in your own studio. If you are still at a university, many times you can get away with giving the lessons in the practice room so long as the school is ok with it. Also, if you are at the university, put some flyers up in the music school AND in the dorm rooms that are non-music school related. Lots of college students who are not in the music school love to take piano lessons from a student who is in the music school.

Also, make sure you put yourself online. Craigslist is definitely a good resource. You can also set up a free profile with LessonRating which will give you more exposure:

http://www.lessonrating.com/piano-teacher-listing.php

I hope this helps you out!

JPE

#1231459 - 07/14/09 01:18 PM Re: Teaching Lessons [Re: JazzPianoEducator]
Dr. J Offline

Loc: Oregon
Much great advice here. Teaching can be very rewarding and I admire you for considering the business angle from the outset. Create a business plan and a studio policy and then follow what you have devised.

I invite you to check out my blog for more teaching tips: http://playpianotodaywithdrj.wordpress.com/

Best of luck in your new endeavor.

Dr. J - The More You Play the Better Your Day

Dr. Js blog http://playpianotodaywithdrj.wordpress.com/

#1231756 - 07/15/09 12:33 AM Re: Teaching Lessons [Re: Dr. J]

Fantastic! Thanks educator/dr, you've been super helpful. As far as I know I can only teach in the music school if I teach through the conservatory, which I want to avoid for a couple of reasons. First would be because they charge you a percentage of the profits, obviously. Second is because they take care of the business aspect of things and i'd like the experience running my own studio. I've been looking for a facility that might be appropriate. Someone suggested I grab a bunch of other music students and rent out a room somewhere that we can all teach out of daily.

I'd be interested in reading up on some pedagogy or instructional methods materials to prepare myself. Do either of you have any specific recommendations I should get my hands on? I found a few on the Teacher's forum but I wasn't sure if those were geared toward classical teaching more than jazz/pop/anything other than classical. Thanks again!

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
137 registered (36251, acortot, accordeur, 40 invisible), 1414 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76037 Members
42 Forums
157217 Topics
2309111 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recognising Slash chords by ear
by Visalia
Today at 06:07 PM
Hammer blow distance, dynamic range, controllability
by prout
Today at 05:39 PM
Arrangers Comparable to Marilynn Ham Suggestions
by Hunt
Today at 04:13 PM
Bach well tempered clavier vs goldberg variations
by hag01
Today at 04:09 PM
Why are pianos measured by external dimensions?
by smrkdown
Today at 02:11 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission