Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1231900 - 07/15/09 11:06 AM Shigeru Kawai Sk3 owners
Elena-Margarita Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Hi, I've been a lurker for quite some time and in the process of researching pianos. I am interested in a Shigeru Kawai SK3 and would like to hear comments from owners of this instrument. Are you happy with your purchase? Any problems after purchasing?

Thanks so much.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1232029 - 07/15/09 02:25 PM Re: Shigeru Kawai Sk3 owners [Re: Elena-Margarita]
Kurtmen Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: San Mateo, CA
Hello topi,
Welcomed to the forum.
Your questions are easy to answer. Shigeru Kawai Company has taken very seriously the task of satisfying Shigeru buyers beyond their expectations. The after-purchase service goes as far as having one of their most talented and experienced technicians from Japan visit the customer at home and adjust the piano to their particular preferences.
The quality and design of the piano is also unquestionable.
Best Regards,

Edited by Kurtmen (07/15/09 02:26 PM)
Kawai Digital Piano, Pianodisc.
<a href="http://sanmateopiano.com" style="color:#FF0505;font-size:10px;font-family:Times New Roman;text-decoration:underline;" target="_blank" >http://sanmateopiano.com</a>

#1232183 - 07/15/09 08:09 PM Re: Shigeru Kawai Sk3 owners [Re: Kurtmen]
chihuahua Offline

Loc: An Oligarchy
I got a friend in Singapore who had purchased an SK3 last year. It's a great instrument, but the visit from a Kawai technician is only for those living in the USA/Canada. At least in Asia and many other continents around the world, the MPA visit is not offered by Kawai. Warranty also differs from country to country.

I have tried the SK3, and must agree that it is a very nice piano. My friend's SK3 was purchased out of the box (as piano dealers in Singapore - in general - do not prep the piano before selling them like piano dealers in the States). That being said, the tone and touch was already a winner.

#1232185 - 07/15/09 08:10 PM Re: Shigeru Kawai Sk3 owners [Re: Kurtmen]
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto
I own a Shigeru SK2 which is about 5" shorter than the SK3. I've had the piano now for about 3 months and absolutely love it to no end. I'm also very excited because, as Kurtman described above, I have an appointment scheduled this Sunday with a Master Piano Artisan from Japan who will come and spend a day working on my instrument.

I am a professional pianist in Toronto and decided about a year ago that it was time to find a piano that I could spend the rest of my life with.
I sampled a very wide array of pianos in a very exhauted search for 'the one'.
I played various specimens by Steinway, Bosendorfer, Mason and Hamlin, Schimmel, Sauter, Seiler, C.Bechstein, Bechstein Academy, Yamaha, Estonia, Grotrian, Fazioli and of course Shigeru.
As you can tell by this list I was focused mainly on high-end instruments (and although my income doesn't support this kind of purchase I was determined to find a way to make it happen through financing)

In the end three pianos stood out for me: a Fazioli 183, a Grotrian Cabinet and a particular Shigeru SK2. For what I was looking for in terms of sound, action, and the ability to be expressive across a very wide palette these three stood out well above the others.

The Fazioli, after a generous discount from the dealer, could be had for about $90,000 CDN. This was WAY out of my reasonable price range.

The Grotrian could have been had for about $55,000 CDN. After doing some number crunching this was almost possible (if i was willing to live off of Kraft dinner for the next five years.

The Shigeru, at almost half the price of the Grotrian (and a third of the price of the Fazioli) flip-flopped between my second and third choice over time(as I spent a considerable amount of time over several weeks playing these instruments). Fazioli was the clear winner in terms of having everything I could ever want in a piano but the price was, as stated earlier, out of the question. The fact that I kept going back and forth between the Grotrian and Shigeru as my 'realistic' choice made the final choice easy: 'Buy the cheaper of the two!"

So now I'm the proud 'partner' of a Shigeru SK2 and have absolutely no regrets. As each day passes I'm continually amazed at the sounds and colours that can be coaxed out of this beast and the action is to die for. I sometimes play very late at night and playing pppp is no problem with the ultra responsive and 'controllable' Millenium III action.

My verdict: In comparing what you PAY for what you GET I think that the Shigeru Kawai piano is hands down the very best piano in the world. It easily holds its own up against any of the top tier pianos in the world and in most cases can be had for half or even a third of the price. Of course, in the end personal preference for things like sound and tone play a big factor too. Some people may flat-out just not like a Shigeru.
But for me, in the end after a long and exhaustive search and really getting in touch with what I want from a piano it was a no brainer.

All the best,
Adrean

Edited by AJF (07/15/09 08:16 PM)

#1232246 - 07/15/09 10:25 PM Re: Shigeru Kawai Sk3 owners [Re: AJF]
Elena-Margarita Offline

Kurtmen, Chihuahua and AJF-thanks so much for your response. I will have the opportunity to touch and hear the SK3 next week. AJF-I played a Bosendorfer and cried, from the the beauty of the sound and the realization that owning one would not be within my financial means. Researching for that bass sound led me to the Shigeru Kawai and I'm excited at the prospect of what it offers.

Thanks again.

#1232254 - 07/15/09 10:45 PM Re: Shigeru Kawai Sk3 owners [Re: Elena-Margarita]
gabytu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Or.
A friend has a Shigeru and I had a chance to play it. What a great piano, marvelous tone, action, clarity, and response. Kawaii makes a superb piano. You certainly can't go wrong with your purchase. Gaby Tu

#1232647 - 07/16/09 07:35 PM Re: Shigeru Kawai Sk3 owners [Re: gabytu]
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It never fails. Shigeru threads always get very few responses. Are there THAT few owners reading these forums??
Maybe they're all just to busy playing their piano rather than reading about them smile

#1232677 - 07/16/09 09:29 PM Re: Shigeru Kawai Sk3 owners [Re: AJF]
Elena-Margarita Offline

It's surprisingly a possiblity that there may be few owners. From postings on this site, European and Steinway pianos seem to be the preference. I plan on visiting a dealer next week and will post my findings.

#1232715 - 07/16/09 11:00 PM Re: Shigeru Kawai Sk3 owners [Re: Elena-Margarita]
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I look forward to hearing your impressions.
Have fun!

#1239385 - 07/29/09 01:57 AM Re: Shigeru Kawai Sk3 owners [Re: AJF]
chihuahua Offline

Loc: An Oligarchy
topi,

Have you tried the SK3 yet?

So what are your impressions? We keenly await your comments ... smile

#1239400 - 07/29/09 02:27 AM Re: Shigeru Kawai Sk3 owners [Re: Elena-Margarita]
beethoven986 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

I don't own one, but have played several Shigerus and I love them. You won't be disappointed.
Certified Dampp-Chaser installer

#1240784 - 07/31/09 07:07 AM Re: Shigeru Kawai Sk3 owners [Re: beethoven986]
Elena-Margarita Offline

Still planning the trip to Peekskill, NY where the dealer is located. Will post once I make the journey.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
107 registered (Anticlock, AndreiN, 30 invisible), 1159 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75890 Members
42 Forums
156826 Topics
2304322 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Goedkope Nike Free Run 2
by rstuvw780928
08/21/14 01:01 AM
Portable Power Supply for Digital Piano?
by piccione
08/20/14 11:45 PM
on revisiting Chopin Etudes
by Lingyis
08/20/14 11:45 PM
Molotov Cocktail Piano
by Robert W. Weber
08/20/14 11:38 PM
20 inch tablet for sheet music?
by Sand Tiger
08/20/14 11:04 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission