2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,889 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1231482 07/14/09 01:56 PM
E
Es Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Has anyone played a lot of Messiaen? Maybe a bit of Messiaen..?
I've learnt Vingt Regards no.16 and am now going for no.15 - what a piece! It absolutely melts my heart, it is actually too beautiful for words. It just prompts so many nativity images in my head, it's incredible. I also kind of think of Christmas until Le Jardin. I'd just like to hear general thoughts on this particular piece or Messiaen in general. Also, if you've had a go, any advice would be great (and what you thought was the most difficult). seems a bit long-ish so right now I've just divided them into sections because that seemed like the logical thing to do? The sections are quite obvious.

Also, could someone translate these, tried an online translation thing but could barely understand it.

1. un court pount d'orgue sur la triple croche (Durand Edition, third page)

2. A chaque communion, l'Enfant-Jésus dort avec nous prés de la porte; puis il l'ouvre sur le jardin et se précipite á toute lumiére pour nous embrasser

3. Une gravure m'a inspiré, qui représente l'Enfant-Jésus quittant les bras de sa Mére pour embrasser la petite soeur Thérese. Tout ceci est symbole de la communion, de l'amour divin. Il faut aimer pour aimer ce suget et cette musique qui voudraient étre tendres comme le coeur du ciel, et il n'y a rien d'autre.

Thanks.

OH also, I just remembered something my teacher told me, a pianist (don't remember whom) was having a masterclass with Messiaen, and he kept getting the notes wrong (you know the bits where Messiaen tries to imitate birds.. they're E VE RY WHERE) and so Messiaen just says "F--- the notes!" thumb
Basically, my teacher was trying to tell me that with Messiaen, it has a lot to do with "effects". If you manage to achieve the right effects, succeed in being convincing, you've won half the battle. Any thoughts?

Es #1231519 07/14/09 03:53 PM
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Es

Also, could someone translate these, tried an online translation thing but could barely understand it.

2. A chaque communion, l'Enfant-Jésus dort avec nous prés de la porte; puis il l'ouvre sur le jardin et se précipite á toute lumiére pour nous embrasser

3. Une gravure m'a inspiré, qui représente l'Enfant-Jésus quittant les bras de sa Mére pour embrasser la petite soeur Thérese. Tout ceci est symbole de la communion, de l'amour divin. Il faut aimer pour aimer ce suget et cette musique qui voudraient étre tendres comme le coeur du ciel, et il n'y a rien d'autre.

1) a short "point d'orgue" on the 32nd note

2)at each communion, the child Jesus sleeps with us near the door; then he opens it onto the garden and precipitates like light to embrace us.

3)An engraving inspired me, which represents the child Jesus leaving the arms of his Mother to embrace the little sister Teresa. All this is the symbol of the communion, of divine love. One must love in order to love this subject and this music which would want to be tender like the heart of heaven, and there is nothing more.

Last edited by landorrano; 07/14/09 03:54 PM.
Es #1231520 07/14/09 03:53 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'll make an attempt at the translation. Haven't played any Messiaen myself, but I can say that I turned pages for a concert of Le Quatuor pour le Fin du Temps (Quartet for the End of Time), and that was one of the most moving experiences I've ever had. You talked about effects. The first movement of the quartet has a violin and clarinet playing early morning bird songs. Comparing the concert and the recording - the violinist in the recording was stunning, how well he imitated the birds. The violinist at the concert didn't do quite so well.

TR: A short organ point (= pedal point?) on the triplet.

TR: At each communion, the child Jesus sleeps with us close to the door; then he opens it to the garden, and the light hurries in to embrace us.

TR: An engraving (artwork) inspired me, which shows the Christ child leaving the arms of his mother to embrace the little sister Theresa. All this is symbolic of the communion,of the divine love. You must love in order to love this subject and this music which would like to be temder like the heart of heaven, and there isn't anything else.

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
landorrano #1231616 07/14/09 06:59 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by landorrano

so "triple croche" translates to 32nd note and "double croche" translates to 16th note? I was mistaken above, triolet = triplet.

What's the point of having a pedal point on the 32nd note?

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
Arghhh #1231824 07/15/09 05:57 AM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Arghhh

so "triple croche" translates to 32nd note and "double croche" translates to 16th note? I was mistaken above, triolet = triplet.

I think that in this case, a point d'orgue means a pause or fermata.

wr #1231832 07/15/09 07:30 AM
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by Arghhh

I think that in this case, a point d'orgue means a pause or fermata.

I haven't looked at the score, but if it is a point d'orgue above the note it means a prolongation. If it is below the note at the end of a measure it could mean a pause.

triple croche = 32nd note

double croche = 16th note

croche = 8th note

Es #1231846 07/15/09 08:05 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Es
===========SNIP=========

==================SNIP===============

It's great that you got some free translation work done for you here on the forum, but just in case such work is not available, I would like to bring to the attention of you and other forum members a website called Elance at http://www.elance.com.

Elance is a virtual market where those who desire services can put out requests for bids on providing the service from service providers world wide. It is a "self-policing" community as well where both sides of a transaction, i.e., employer and provider, get to rate each other.

I recently had some Chinese newspaper performance reviews I wanted translated; machine translations were unusable, so I put the job up for bid along with what i wanted translated on Elance. I had nearly a dozen bids on the job within 48 hours with prices ranging from $40 to $300. I picked one of the $50 bidders and had a usable translation in hand within 72 hours of accepting his bid.

Good luck with your Messiaen work.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
I Make Music that Lifts People Up & Brings Them Together
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
Es #1231848 07/15/09 08:08 AM
E
Es Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Thanks very much for the translations. I actually have absolutely no clue what point d'orgue means. I am practising this on my own at the moment so I can play it for my teacher when I go back to uni in September.

[Linked Image]

So the single star in blue, thats where Messiaen says:
Ralentir la derniére croche de la mesure, ralentir les derniers battements du trille, un court point d'orgue sur la triple croche; la pédale tient pendant la virgule; id. aux passages similaires.

I kind of understand the rest of that sentence, I think it roughly says to slow down the last 8th note, slow down the last beats of the trill, and hold the pedal during the comma, excluding that point d'orgue bit.

I think in this context he probs meant just a general slowing down of the 4th quaver beat so the point d'orgue would most likely mean a slight prolongation of the 32nd note?? I really don't know?

Es #1231918 07/15/09 11:33 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Google Translate renders "un court point d'orgue sur la triple croche" as "a short highlight of the demisemiquaver", so maybe "highlight" or "bringing out" is a more relevant notion than "pedal point".

In my recording of the piece (Yvonne Loriod), she slows the trill down until the last note of the trill becomes that final distinct 32nd note. Trill merging into pickup note. Beautiful effect, beautiful piece, distilled essence of Messiaen. Good luck with it!

beet31425 #1231963 07/15/09 12:39 PM
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by beet31425
Google Translate renders "un court point d'orgue sur la triple croche" as "a short highlight of the demisemiquaver", so maybe "highlight" or "bringing out" is a more relevant notion than "pedal point".

In my recording of the piece (Yvonne Loriod), she slows the trill down until the last note of the trill becomes that final distinct 32nd note. Trill merging into pickup note. Beautiful effect, beautiful piece, distilled essence of Messiaen. Good luck with it!

You can trust my translation above, no point in trying to better it.

It is not a highlight that he asks for, it's a point d'orgue. I think that Messian knew what he was jotting down.

A point d'orgue is a prolongation, the duration of which is decided by the fancy of the musician. "Short point d'orgue" somewhat limits the fancy of the musician.

But then how long is "short"?

Last edited by landorrano; 07/15/09 12:52 PM.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission