Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 45 of 101 < 1 2 ... 43 44 45 46 47 ... 100 101 >
Topic Options
#1233423 - 07/18/09 02:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: 4evrBeginR]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Great insight 4ever on both the recording stuff and on Clayderman. Wow this competition looks interesting ... I'm about to watch it now (I think it's over an hour long!)>

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#1233437 - 07/18/09 02:48 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: MiM]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

You want technique? Check this one out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYfVyPwo76k&feature=related

#1233475 - 07/18/09 04:00 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: MiM]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Nice posts 4everbeginner, you seem to know a lot about these songs in Alfred's, keep sharing.

I see you skipped to Divertimento in D. If you want to mainly focus in on learning the "nice" classical pieces that are not too difficult, I recommend giving "Night Song" a try. It is one of my favorites from the book. It teaches the first inversion, looks and sounds difficult (as is indicated), but really isn't that hard to play.

I know you are a returning player, so maybe skipping makes sense for that reason, but I would at least give each page a glance to make sure you are familiar with what is introduced, and maybe attempt certain measures which focus in on that particular skill. Alfred's really is a progressive skill building method book. But I will be the first to relate to your sentiment of not liking many of the pieces in the book.

#1234028 - 07/19/09 10:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Quick update:

I gave myself the pass on Danny Boy tonight! I have now officially begun Canon in D smile

Danny Boy was extremely tough, and it thoroughly frustrated me. When I woke up this morning and began to practice it, I knew I now had the ability to play the entire thing. The hard part is actually playing it from beginning to end without making an error which I do before I move on. I spent probably 3 hours today, off and on, trying to pull it off. I had several good runs, from beginning to end, but every time I just felt "something was off". Finally, tonight, I was able to play it acceptably, once, and thus gave myself the pass.

Canon in D looks much more intimidating, and involves fancy finger work, but it, as pointed out earlier, has obvious patterns and consistency. I mean, so far the left had does the same simple pattern over and over, while the right gets down to business. I've only practiced it for around 30 minutes, but it seems as though the right hand is playing the same sequential chords but in a progressively complex manner. It is sort of A B C D, then more complex version of A B C D and so on and so on. I think this piece will probably be easier to learn than "Danny Boy", and I am excited to be finally on it. Danny Boy had nearly no consistency, it is more of a roller coaster type thing, at least for the beginning pianist (or whatever).

Best,

W

#1234038 - 07/19/09 11:13 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
nancy_w Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: Waltz
Quick update:

Canon in D looks much more intimidating, and involves fancy finger work, but it, as pointed out earlier, has obvious patterns and consistency. I mean, so far the left had does the same simple pattern over and over, while the right gets down to business. I've only practiced it for around 30 minutes, but it seems as though the right hand is playing the same sequential chords but in a progressively complex manner. It is sort of A B C D, then more complex version of A B C D and so on and so on. I think this piece will probably be easier to learn than "Danny Boy", and I am excited to be finally on it. Danny Boy had nearly no consistency, it is more of a roller coaster type thing, at least for the beginning pianist (or whatever).

Best,

W

Canon in D isn't hard. smile Practice the first couple of lines of the left hand (before it changes) until you can do it without thinking about it. This will let you focus on the right hand better; and combining the two if you choose to practice it by itself (which I recommend). When you get to where the left hand changes again, do the same thing - practice the left until you can do it without thinking or looking much. The first change on the left hand has you doing the same notes an octave apart, but it's the same part.

I haven't passed myself on it yet, as I need to finish it up by working on the dynamics, and I'm still a little bit rough on the final page. But I've moved onto a slightly more complicated version by Dan Coates that's still 4 pages, but more complex to start. The pattern of notes is still the same though. (D, A, B, F#, G, D, G, A)

And here's a hilarious comedy bit on Pachelbel (originally seen here on the forum, but another thread somewhere - and worth sharing again):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM

#1234112 - 07/20/09 04:35 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Good job Waltz, sounds like you nailed the beast! This is one of the songs I don't recall trying before, but I look forward to the challenge of playing it.

The good news is that I got a hold of Alexander's Ragtime Band, which now after the fact does not look too hard! A few upcoming songs should be a breeze for me as I tried them before, some will be very challenging like La Bamba, and I hope to be near Danny Boy by summer end.

#1234131 - 07/20/09 08:16 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
HeirborneGroupie Offline

Loc: Florida
Hi everyone.

I've been away from the forum for a while. I've been trying to upgrade from my console piano to baby grand. It's been a full time job, almost, but it gets delivered this afternoon laugh. I settled on a Kawai RX 2.

Hey Waltz congrats on passing Danny Boy. I hear it's hard but it's not in my version of Alfred 2. You must be almost done with book 2.

I'm almost done with Aloha OE and America The Beautiful. I have started working on Pomp and Circumstance.

#1234135 - 07/20/09 08:40 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: nancy_w]
HeirborneGroupie Offline

Nancy that video is hilarious!!! I had never seen it before.

#1234310 - 07/20/09 02:58 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: HeirborneGroupie]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Nancy,

Thanks for that advice. It really is probably the best way to do it, memorizing the LH so it can go on "auto-pilot" smile . That is what I will most likely have to do. How did you find Danny Boy in comparison to Canon in D?

MIM,

Thanks smile . Congrats on mastering ARB, what are you tackling next?

HBG,

Thanks to you too, congrats on the new piano, let us know how it plays smile

I'll try to record DB sometime or another

#1234346 - 07/20/09 04:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
nancy_w Offline

Nancy,

Thanks for that advice. It really is probably the best way to do it, memorizing the LH so it can go on "auto-pilot" smile . That is what I will most likely have to do. How did you find Danny Boy in comparison to Canon in D?

"Danny Boy" is on my list to go back to - I skipped ahead to get to Canon in D (at my instructor's direction) Based on my initial playing around though - I think Canon is easier because the patterns are so prevalent.

Originally Posted By: HeirborneGroupie

I've been away from the forum for a while. I've been trying to upgrade from my console piano to baby grand. It's been a full time job, almost, but it gets delivered this afternoon laugh. I settled on a Kawai RX 2.

Oooh - I'd love one of those. I bought a Kawai K-3 upright last year and I really like the way the action on it feels; and the sound is great.

#1234418 - 07/20/09 06:05 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: nancy_w]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Danny Boy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fltATQTQWbE

I noticed that I increased my speed after the first part, and there were a couple of spots that weren't smooth and some poor transitions. I did not realize I did this while playing, it is difficult to catch such things. Let me know what you think.

#1234429 - 07/20/09 06:21 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
nancy_w Offline

Danny Boy:

I noticed that I increased my speed after the first part, and there were a couple of spots that weren't smooth and some poor transitions. I did not realize I did this while playing, it is difficult to catch such things. Let me know what you think.

Sounds good! I think you're right about the transitions and speed; but while listening to it, I very much enjoyed the music. Thank you for sharing smile

(I'm working on sprucing up Canon in D enough to record it)

#1234486 - 07/20/09 08:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: nancy_w]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: nancy_w
Danny Boy:

Sounds good! I think you're right about the transitions and speed; but while listening to it, I very much enjoyed the music. Thank you for sharing smile

(I'm working on sprucing up Canon in D enough to record it)

Thanks Nancy smile ,

I actually just finished a practice session with Canon in D and Danny Boy. I made corrections to my tempo and other problems and played Danny Boy correctly from beginning to end. I feel like I am really getting the hang of the piece, but it's still really difficult.

Canon in D is so pretty to play, even during the learning phase! Generally, pieces sound like crap until you become somewhat "fluent" at them, but CiD isn't one of them. I took digital photos of all 4 pages and uploaded them onto my computer. In a day or so I'll print them and attempt to arrange all four pages to fit on my piano stand. It took a bunch of attempts with the camera to make the lines and notes clear from top to bottom but I finally got it. If you (Nancy) or anyone else needs/wants the pictures let me know and I'll email you them.

sincerely,

#1234699 - 07/21/09 08:20 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
HeirborneGroupie Offline

Good job on Danny Boy Waltz. I can hear what you were talking about with the speed but it still sounds really good.

Thanks for the congrats on the piano Waltz and Nancy. It truly is my dream piano and as soon as I polish Aloha OE and America the Beautiful I will make my first recording on it.

#1234724 - 07/21/09 10:11 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: HeirborneGroupie]
Always Wanted to Play Piano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Chicago
Sorry for my absence here. I am exactly where I was since my last post in this thread, which is that I am essentially done with... what was it... The Mexican Hat Dance? My piano time these days is dominated by work on my ABF Recital piece entry, which I am truly enjoying. I'll be back before long.

Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/

#1234811 - 07/21/09 01:26 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: HeirborneGroupie]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Good job on Danny Boy Waltz. I can hear what you were talking about with the speed but it still sounds really good.

Thanks for the congrats on the piano Waltz and Nancy. It truly is my dream piano and as soon as I polish Aloha OE and America the Beautiful I will make my first recording on it.

Thanks smile

I would especially like to hear America the Beautiful on your new piano. I would also like to hear your thoughts on the differences of feel between your digital and baby grand pianos.

#1235062 - 07/21/09 08:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Seriously,

I mean,

the hardest part of playing Canon in D thus far is the key it's in. I've been playing in either Bb major or Eb major (or hell, G minor (the relative of Bb maj.)!), for a LONG time in Alfred's 2. These keys are all very related/similar. Then, of course, the final piece is in a completely different key, a 180! It is so difficult to switch "off" the automatic move my hands make to play all B's and E's flat much less to play the F's and C's sharp.

#1235065 - 07/21/09 08:36 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oh, and I play on rerecording Danny Boy, I really am unsatisfied with the first attempt. . .

#1235137 - 07/21/09 11:58 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
nancy_w Offline

The first time I played it through with my instructor (sloooooooooooooowly. so slowly it didn't sound like music at all), I kept making the same mistake. She was very patient with me. smile

I find that when I'm switching keys I like to find all the sharps or flats and play just those a few times to remind myself that those are different. Thinking about it now, I should play the scale for that key a few times before starting the piece; that way you could see how the progression goes. (Hmm... I think this is a great idea - one I'll have to implement).

#1235166 - 07/22/09 01:29 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Seriously,

I mean,

the hardest part of playing Canon in D thus far is the key it's in. I've been playing in either Bb major or Eb major (or hell, G minor (the relative of Bb maj.)!), for a LONG time in Alfred's 2. These keys are all very related/similar. Then, of course, the final piece is in a completely different key, a 180! It is so difficult to switch "off" the automatic move my hands make to play all B's and E's flat much less to play the F's and C's sharp.

Yeah, D-major was like the first part of the book. You think he did that on purpose just in case you forgot it by the end.

btw, I'm playing Night Song as suggested and really liking it.

#1235167 - 07/22/09 01:34 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Nice posts 4everbeginner, you seem to know a lot about these songs in Alfred's, keep sharing.

I see you skipped to Divertimento in D. If you want to mainly focus in on learning the "nice" classical pieces that are not too difficult, I recommend giving "Night Song" a try. It is one of my favorites from the book. It teaches the first inversion, looks and sounds difficult (as is indicated), but really isn't that hard to play.

I know you are a returning player, so maybe skipping makes sense for that reason, but I would at least give each page a glance to make sure you are familiar with what is introduced, and maybe attempt certain measures which focus in on that particular skill. Alfred's really is a progressive skill building method book. But I will be the first to relate to your sentiment of not liking many of the pieces in the book.

Even way back when I had a teacher, I remember I didn't play the whole book, so I don't think it's absolutely necessary as logn as I play something from each section with some newly covered material like the introduction of a new key. My main goal with Alfred is to learn how to read music again, which I have forgotten.

#1235239 - 07/22/09 08:18 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
HeirborneGroupie Offline

Hi Waltz.

Before this I had an acoustic console piano. But I did start out on an old digital that someone gave me. It was an old Clavinova 411. I really enjoyed learning on it. It was nice to be able to control the volume or use a set of headphones. The sound quality of it wasn't great but it wasn't terrible either. The touch....hmmm..... I always struggle with explaining these things. Of course the digital was very even and consistent but, if memory serves, the touch was lighter and there was only limited control over dynamics. On the Kawai the touch is lighter than some pianos I played but heavier than the digital and still very even. Control of dynamics is MUCH more sensitive on the Kawai.

The pedals are completely different. When using the pedal on the Kawai I can feel that it is moving a mechanism inside the piano and therefore I can feel when it is engaged. On my Clavinova the pedal was either on or off.

This is all based on memory and I am sure there have been HUGE changes in digital pianos since then. I would not be where I am in my piano journey if I had not had that Clavinova.

I am working on America the Beautiful today and hope to have a recording to share either today or tomorrow.

#1235245 - 07/22/09 08:24 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: nancy_w]
HeirborneGroupie Offline

Originally Posted By: nancy_w
I should play the scale for that key a few times before starting the piece; that way you could see how the progression goes. (Hmm... I think this is a great idea - one I'll have to implement).

This is a great idea Nancy. I always have trouble remembering sharps and flats.

#1235267 - 07/22/09 09:30 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
justcallmesir Offline

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: Mark...
Quote:
Originally posted by IrishMak:
I am almost finished with Alfred's 2- just (I think) 2 more pieces and the Canon to go. Not much more than that, anyway. I found a few pieces that I liked enough to go back to them now and again, but most were in the "learn it to get the theory/technique down" category. I also have one of the supplemental books and have worked on a couple pieces from that. I don't know if my teacher will have me move on to book 3 or not. We'll see. I also usually have one or two things not in the Alfred's book to work on, so I get some diversity in my practice.
Hi IrishMak,
How long did it take to get through book two? And has the book helped you progress to a higher level overall. Just curious to see where I'll be when book two is complete.

Thanks
Mark

I am on page 28 in book 2 and doing grade 2

#1235325 - 07/22/09 11:09 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: HeirborneGroupie]
HeirborneGroupie Offline

Here is a very crude rendition of America the Beautiful. My piano and I are still getting to know each other so my pedaling is a bit choppy and I messed up the ending but here it is. eek

http://www.box.net/shared/j91uyo0cbt

#1235375 - 07/22/09 12:30 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: HeirborneGroupie]
nancy_w Offline

Here is a very crude rendition of America the Beautiful. My piano and I are still getting to know each other so my pedaling is a bit choppy and I messed up the ending but here it is. eek

Your piano sounds beautiful; and I think you did a pretty good job on the song. I'd give myself a pass to the next song if I had it down that well smile

#1235402 - 07/22/09 01:14 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: nancy_w]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Heirborne,that piano sounds good, I like it. I have an upright Yamaha U1 but I do most of my practice on the digital one for convenience. I should start hitting the U1 soon, I like the genuine sound.

#1235408 - 07/22/09 01:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: HeirborneGroupie]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Two thumbs up from me! Sounded nice smile

Did you improv that ending or is that how it is written? It was very expressive

#1235410 - 07/22/09 01:27 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
Waltz Offline
500 Post Club Member

Nancy, Thanks for the advice on CiD. Once the LH starts doing octaves on pgs 3 and 4, the piece becomes much, much more tricky... This one may still take quite a while

#1235413 - 07/22/09 01:30 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Cour [Re: Waltz]
HeirborneGroupie Offline

Thanks everyone smile

The ending is written that way. It was the hardest part of the whole song. I still haven't got it down perfectly.

Page 45 of 101 < 1 2 ... 43 44 45 46 47 ... 100 101 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
You must like every major composer
by JoelW
10/22/14 07:32 PM
Physis Piano K4 EX, tell me more...
by thercman
10/22/14 07:14 PM
Are pianos sometimes voiced or tuned differently for jazz?
by Jake Jackson
10/22/14 06:18 PM
Stay safe, Ottawa
by jehalliday
10/22/14 03:51 PM
Which Books did Chopin Study?
by Batuhan
10/22/14 03:12 PM
Who's Online
130 registered (A-Tom, Alux, AnimistFvR, accordeur, angga888, alfredo capurso, 40 invisible), 1350 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76619 Members
42 Forums
158425 Topics
2326541 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission