Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 75 of 90 < 1 2 ... 73 74 75 76 77 ... 89 90 >
Topic Options
#1232251 - 07/15/09 10:41 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Bihua]
Bihua Offline

Loc: Singapore
How many times I went to PianoMaster:-

I went there 3 times, each time I stay there for more than 1 hour. Haha, coz I like to KPO here and there. Ya, I know what you mean by paisey. But u need to set a budget first. Easier to screen through...

First Time:
First time go, I was very blur, just listen and see what brands they carry, listen to what the salesperson say, and try try the pianos (both upright and grands). Have a rough idea of the prices of the piano, and note down the brands. Hailun 125 caught my ears and pocket already.

Second Time:
It was like 3 months before I go the 2nd time. In between, I visited a lot of other piano shops to test and try, and learn how to test and get a feel of what I like. I also went to try the more upclass pianos like Yamaha Grands, Yamaha YUS5 and of coz pianos at Cristofori. I tried 2nd hand pianos, digital pianos. Anything and everything. I bought the Piano Book to read. Once I agar agar shortlist a few. I went to test those I shortlist again. Along the way, there will be some good souls who will teach you a few technical aspects of the piano one. So just pick up along the way. And when I went PianoMaster, I tested the Hailun 122, Hailun 125 and Grotrian (yes, key by key, how hard to press, ask the salesperson to play and listen, I even ask them to open up the piano for me to see).

Third Time:
After all the information gathering, I ask the forum folks for their comments. I have a preference already. And when I finally decide, I went down, bargain somemore and buy!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1232411 - 07/16/09 10:59 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Bihua]
Nikkie Offline

ok, thanks everyone for your contribution. Wish me luck and hope will conclude the purchase soon.

#1232706 - 07/16/09 10:26 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Nikkie]
yannh Offline

Before I purchased my current used U1, I actually passed by Piano Master and take a look at their pianos. I should say Hailun 125 really has great sound. Unluckily I have not joined this forum, and never heard of this brand at that time. So I do no go for it.

Then another 2nd hand piano shop owner taught me how to check basic piano parts, including seeing how good the solid wood behind.

I'm not sure how long Hailun has come to Singapore, and how's it's quality after years. I wish someone can provide more info on this. As of today, judging from the wood quality of U1, I can understand why this model can always last for long time, and becoming one of the classic model. If Hailun also can maintain the sound quality for long, with it's price, for sure it will become another popular choice.

#1232855 - 07/17/09 09:42 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: yannh]
Nikkie Offline

Hi yannh

possible to share how to see the quality of the solid wood behind the piano?

#1233154 - 07/17/09 10:19 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Nikkie]
yannh Offline

I was told.

If you see the back of U1, the pillar is made by thick wood, the board is also made by solid wood totally. For used set, it could looks old, a bit dirty, but shouldn't have crack. New piano will use young wood, where it will take some time to stabilize & season.

However if you compare many other cheaper brand, the back may have only small pillar of wood, or some is not using wood for the board. So you will not see any screw on the board, because it cannot hold the tension or weight of metal plate within. The piano may sounds good in the beginning, however the piano, or the sound may not last, since those material cannot maintain it's quality compare to solid wood.

Probably some experienced member can verify this.

Edited by yannh (07/17/09 10:20 PM)

#1233343 - 07/18/09 12:21 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: yannh]
Nikkie Offline

Halo all,

We went down to Gramercy today, tried out the Wilherm Tell 125, wasn't impressed by it. Don really like the touch, sound, action. It doesn't give us the omph factor. My 6 year old gal felt the same too and also said the keys are too light. Moreover the price is 2k more than Hailun and they only give 5 years warranty, so it's out of our consideration.

Then as we drove, we passed by PianoMaster and went in to try out Hailun again. This time round we had a long chat with the owner Jason. We asked alot and he's patient with us (patient esp when our 3 kids were playing catching in his showroom and meddling with his pianos!).

He showed and explained the different model in the showroom and we learnt quite a fair bit from him. When we played on the HL 125, we were really attracted by the sound and the touch of it. In the showroom, my gal keep saying I like this, can we buy? So in the end, we decided to look no further, and THIS IS THE ONE!!

The model is currently out of stock, but the shipment will be in next week. Yes, we've paid a deposit and are on the waiting list. (Jason actually showed us those invoices that has just been placed and waiting for the shipment to come). So likely we'll receive our piano week after next. He'll inspect each of them and tune personally for the first time during delivery.

So Bihua, we've joined you and believe we'll enjoy when it arrive in our house. I'll take photos but whether can upload?? I'll try cos i'm not very IT savvy..but need to prove i'm genuine customer right? i'll try ok..

I should say both Jason and Cissy (ano lady in the showroom) were nice, so service does play an important part.

Whether a not how long the piano can last, we'll let u know 10 years later!

So for now, let's celebrate for our final closure and get excited for the new piano!! Hip Hip Hurray!!!

#1233352 - 07/18/09 12:38 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Nikkie]
fj_s Offline

Congratulations! I'm sure you and your children will enjoy the piano for years to come. smile

Mozart: Sonata in D Major, k576
Chopin: Polonaise in A-flat major, Op 53
Berg: Sonata in B minor, Op 1
Bach: Partita in C Minor, BWV 826

#1233364 - 07/18/09 12:50 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: fj_s]
Nikkie Offline

ya, hope it's not 5min excitment only..

Finally it ends our months of shopping..tiring men..

#1233368 - 07/18/09 12:52 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Nikkie]
Nikkie Offline

oh ya..fj_s, haven't thanks your help in eliminating Weber from our consideration, that make our shopping easier..Thanks a million!!

#1233695 - 07/19/09 05:25 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Nikkie]
Bihua Offline

Hi Nikkie,

Yeah! Congrats! Jason and Cissy are husband and wife lah...I like the both of them too! Very patient and sincere!

Enjoy your piano which is coming. And thank you for joining me. smile Haha!

Cheers!

#1233696 - 07/19/09 05:29 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Bihua]
Nikkie Offline

oh, we were guessing that they're couple too..before that I was still jokingly ask if she's jason's daughter..oops, jason must be very sad...sorry..

#1234118 - 07/20/09 05:32 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Nikkie]
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

wah very fu chi laugh

anyway can i join in the china piano club?
PearlRiver can join ?? hehe

if key feels too heavy let me know, i can help to lower the damper spring preload tension.

#1234203 - 07/20/09 11:36 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: snoopycar]
Nikkie Offline

can, come join in the china piano club..whether u're PearlRiver, ChangJiang, HuangHe..Ha Ha..then we shd organise one China Brand Piano appreciation day!!

But seriously how to start this China group ah?? I'm new here leh, no time to venture much..by starting a new tread and pple just join in??

Thanks in advance for offering help (on the damper spring thingy)...

#1234534 - 07/20/09 10:48 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Nikkie]
Bihua Offline

Snoopycar, u want to be like Jason also huh? Jia You oh! Go jio jio some of the young piano teachers lor. Hehehe =P

U got Pearl River meh? I tot ur latest one is "Steal Chicken"?

Nikkie, what China Brand Piano appreciation day? Haha, I can't play leh, so ur gal play, we appreciate? =P

#1234661 - 07/21/09 05:21 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Bihua]
Nikkie Offline

ha ha..u really make me laugh..my gal play, u all sleep ah..

put all china brand together and play lah..appreciate mah..don't ask me how to shift all the pianos together..no idea man..

What brand is Steal Chicken?? got iron duck or not??

I haven't finish reading the 70 over pgs in this forum, but i tot i read somewhere tat snoopycar got bad experience with china brand, so is it pearlriver?

How old re u, snoopycar?? haven't married ah?? need introduction?? or join in pianist forum, sure got lots of teachers..or my nephew ex-girlfriend also piano teacher, young and pretty..

Bihua, u can't play meh?? u sound very pro lei..so it's for yr wife only lah..

#1234700 - 07/21/09 08:30 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Nikkie]
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

sorry to disappoint...
funny some ask me if i'm still studying?
i asking you mean studying music?
no are you still schooling like polytechnic ??
once ppl ask if i finish national service.... haiya..
me am old leow

no need to introduce, although i hv secret admire some teachers.. hehehe i always respect teacher, and admire their dedication in the profession, striving to excel the student...

ok my tok-kai(in cantonese, steal chicken) has been sold.
its somewhere in boon lay drv now.

i "upgrade" to a cristofori G185, yahoo !!
(me mr cheapoh)

you see, i suddenly got interest in china piano, they just need need some tweaking.

#1235124 - 07/21/09 11:26 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: snoopycar]
Chee Yang Chen Offline

Hey everyone!

I was thinking of learning how to play a piano, wondering which piano to buy.

Yamaha U1
Yamaha U1J
Kawai K5
Kawai K3
Yamaha JX113T

May i know your opinions on each of them? I was more inclined towards Yamaha at the moment due to their design and price.

Do you think buying a long term one is good? Invest in a U1 or K5?

Or buy a starting one just to figure it out, then upgrade? I was thinking JX113T, is it decent?

Whats the difference between U1J and U1?

And how does the K3 rank against U1, U1J and JX113T?

Where do you think ill be able to find a mint ~5 years U1 and JX113T? I doubt there would be used Millennium III series yet right?

Sorry for the loads of questions! Im so torn between what piano to buy! Going to be running shops again today!

Thanks!

Edited by Chee Yang Chen (07/21/09 11:29 PM)

#1235132 - 07/21/09 11:48 PM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Chee Yang Chen]
fj_s Offline

They are all good pianos. Pick the one that sounds best to you. I personally like the K5 the most.

Most people would say that the construction of the U1, K3 and K5 is somewhat better than the U1J and JX113T, but YMMV. Regardless, they'll all last a long time.

There are used pianos around < 5 years, just take a look at some of the more reliable shops.

#1235188 - 07/22/09 02:59 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: fj_s]
Bihua Offline

Nikkie,
Me the wife lah. I sound pro huh? Then leave it that way lah... haha...

Ok lah, I can play a little bit, but definitely not that kind can go on the stage to perform one lah. I dun wanna "throw face" and make my audience waste money throwing eggs on me :P

Snoopycar,
See u use such a cute username, pple think you still a teenager or in ur early twenties...

Wow liow...u change piano ma chiam change clothes like that...now heart move to China Piano liow ah? Haha...

#1235192 - 07/22/09 03:14 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Bihua]
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

CYC,

to learn to play the piano, you can buy any of the above chioces.
why not just buy a 2nd hand clavinova CLPs for just $500~800 to try out first? the digital sound 70% like a real piano, a beginner cant tell the difference. after a while when you are good a reading music and moving up the skill ladder, you can off load the digital or keep it. playing piano is very siong one leh, not buy first then automatic can play already ok...
think about it lor, my 2 cents

#1235210 - 07/22/09 05:35 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: snoopycar]
happylucky Offline

Loc: singapore
hi,

I would like to seek some advice on buying a 2nd hand used yamaha u1 (around 30 year-old)imported from japan. Tone sounds alright to me but i am not too sure if the age matters(i.e. will the quality be compromised) Also, can someone let me know what to look out for when buying a used piano?

Any 2nd hand piano shop to recommend??

Thank you very much.

#1235248 - 07/22/09 08:42 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: snoopycar]
Roxane Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: snoopycar
CYC,

why not just buy a 2nd hand clavinova CLPs for just $500~800 to try out first? the digital sound 70% like a real piano, a beginner cant tell the difference. after a while when you are good a reading music and moving up the skill ladder, you can off load the digital or keep it. playing piano is very siong one leh, not buy first then automatic can play already ok...

I agree with snoopy! If you are just learning for fun, a Clavinova is actually more fun because of the different sounds it can make. Later, if you decide to pursue classical music seriously, you can then switch to an acoustic piano. I have a grand piano, but still bought a high-end digital because of the effects and other capabilites, e.g. recording/MIDI/

#1235265 - 07/22/09 09:28 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Bihua]
Nikkie Offline

Bihua

so u're the wife ah..think i read yr diary blog and tot u're the husband..tat's why i tot why got man call Bihua?? ha ha..

ya lor, snoopycar, pple keep asking which piano to buy so can keep for 30 yrs, u buy like no need to think one, like woman buying clothes..u sure u're not dealer??hm hm....

#1235272 - 07/22/09 09:36 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: snoopycar]
Nikkie Offline

CYC,

I agree with snoopycar. But if money is no issue to u at all, then go for K5 lah but be prepared to loose half should u give up within the next few years or months..

#1235276 - 07/22/09 09:42 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Nikkie]
Nikkie Offline

Happylucky

I don know much about 2nd hand piano but heard the comparison of sound between 30 yrs (can't remember kawai or yamaha) and hailun new. 30 yrs one really sound old already (or matured) and the parts are also v old (what to expect right) unless it has been reconditioned.

But if u really keen in 2nd hand, than go get Larry Fines book n read.

Good luck..

#1235278 - 07/22/09 09:47 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Chee Yang Chen]
Nikkie Offline

Originally Posted By: Chee Yang Chen

Whats the difference between U1J and U1?

According to Yamaha salesstaff, U1 from Japan while U1J made in Indonesia.

#1235279 - 07/22/09 09:47 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Roxane]
Chee Yang Chen Offline

Originally Posted By: Roxane
CYC,

I agree with snoopy! If you are just learning for fun, a Clavinova is actually more fun because of the different sounds it can make. Later, if you decide to pursue classical music seriously, you can then switch to an acoustic piano. I have a grand piano, but still bought a high-end digital because of the effects and other capabilites, e.g. recording/MIDI/
I definitely would not be quitting. And I would be keeping a piano around anyway, except in the case of an upgrade. Its just I may not play for brief periods due to overseas commitments - but I am ready to practise piano xiong for these 3 months as my schedule is not as packed. I think in the long term view after these 3 months, I would be playing the piano from time to time, and its also a nice house piece - albeit expensive one!

Would a clavinova be appropriate for learning? Like to differentiate sounds and such. Does it have the same touch as at least say a medium weighted one?
If so I was thinking of finding a CLPS308.

It seems after looking around opinions are extremely mixed over pianos...Especially between Yamaha and Kawai.

There was a Bohemia at Emmanuel and Sons, 55cm x 144cm x 120cm, 118-Moderna (Serial 66533) going for 2.5k. How old is the thing, according to the serial? The guy didnt know. What do you think of this piano?

Thanks guys!

Edited by Chee Yang Chen (07/22/09 09:57 AM)

#1235285 - 07/22/09 10:01 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Chee Yang Chen]
fj_s Offline

A clavinova is appropriate for learning. It certain trumps a lot of the not-so-good pianos out there. Get at least a GH3 or NW keyboard; the difference in touch is significant. The Kawai ones are not too bad too; they actually have wooden keys. I heard good things about the Roland digitals as well. Try them to see how they feel. That being said, they won't feel as good as the pianos on your original list.

Yamaha and Kawais are the workhorses. They have excellent build quality, decent touch, and decent sound. They're also incredibly hardy. Think of them as Toyota and Honda. You rarely go too wrong with them.

Bohemia does make very nice pianos, particularly the new ones. However, I don't know how old that particular model is.

#1235308 - 07/22/09 10:38 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: Chee Yang Chen]
Nikkie Offline

My gal is having piano lessons in Yamaha, they use clavinova for students. Not too bad for beginners.

Want to try Hailun?? Sounds great, cheap, Value for money know..join our china brands club?? ha ha ha..

(ps i don't get commission from them)

#1235315 - 07/22/09 10:53 AM Re: Adult Beginner in Singapore: Buying First Pian [Re: fj_s]
snoopycar Offline
500 Post Club Member

me no dealer lah, me very transparent,
just a piano tuner tech with very keen interest in piano.

some guys likes hifi, they also buy n sell through the net
like changing clothes. what i usually do is buy those neglected pianos, put in lots of sweat, end result is a much much beter piano, nice to play on.

sometimes when opportunity comes, i make a decision to buy certain piano which hv some value, actually all pianos hv value, to work on. terribly loose key? just change the key bush. horrible tin can tone? just round the hammers. stuck action, disassemble everything, change the pin... when i'm free

don't think i'm berri rich ok?? i am a hv to keep myself occupied kind of guy.

Oh i'm talking about those no frills CLP130 type. the hapsicord voice is good to play JS Bach laugh !!
if buy those high end, GH3, thumbdrive... new one, them might as well buy a acoustic piano....

happylucky, basically, if the piano feels right, plays right, price is right, then its a good buy. in truth, there are too many things to go into detail to look out for. one really gets what one pays for. (like buying durian)

For basic playing, PearlRiver 118 or Hailun 125 is good enough.
For brand consious consumer, then get new yamaha or kawai.
for bargain hunters, go for 2nd good condtion yamaha or kawai.

good piano don't devalue so fast like cars in sinkapore, no coe, no road tax surcharge if more than 10yrs.

ok ok, how many of you pick up piano because Jay Chow plays one ?? huh huh ??

after tuning a piano in a hostel, guess what korean boys plays?
Jay Chow secrets..... haiya.........

Page 75 of 90 < 1 2 ... 73 74 75 76 77 ... 89 90 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
61 registered (Alux, Akshay, beeboss, Aucha, ando, 11 invisible), 1112 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74236 Members
42 Forums
153570 Topics
2250691 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
On Temperament strip tuning, and other things
by Mark Davis
Today at 05:08 AM
NAAFI pianos
by PhilipInChina
Today at 04:41 AM
Yamaha Upright - Please help identify
by awyaks
Today at 01:00 AM
song i wrote. people in clubs love it
by jedplays
Yesterday at 10:49 PM
Fazioli "factory tour" video.
by R_B
Yesterday at 10:27 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission