Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1228325 - 07/07/09 09:49 PM A couple of short lessons I filmed...
dave solazzo Offline

Loc: syracuse ny
I filmed these last night. Still experimenting with camera angles and lighting and all that stuff.

You can check them out here if you'd like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIOwtaWZtmI&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AFQzBWJjGE&feature=channel

thanks...

Edited by dave solazzo (07/07/09 09:51 PM)

Piano & Music Accessories
#1228334 - 07/07/09 10:11 PM Re: A couple of short lessons I filmed... [Re: dave solazzo]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
Dave,

cool videos. it's somewhat annoying to see the keyboard upside down. Makes it hard to follow the scales, fingering etc...

take care

#1228369 - 07/07/09 11:34 PM Re: A couple of short lessons I filmed... [Re: dave solazzo]
nitekatt2008z Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hey Dave, cool jazz tutorials. What model Privia are you using? I have a PX-200. How do you like the touch? For me, it's about the closest acoustic keyboard action, especially for the money and less weight to carry it around. Do you also use studio monitors or just the onboard speakers?

Post more lessons and we'll keep checkin' them out.

katt

#1228429 - 07/08/09 03:56 AM Re: A couple of short lessons I filmed... [Re: nitekatt2008z]
dave solazzo Offline

knotty,

hey i liked your video...very nice!

im just starting the whole video thing. next time im going to do a point of view angle--so the view of the keys will be the same as if you were sitting behind the keyboard playing. either that or an angle from directly above...looking down at the keys.

katt,

im playing the privia px-320. as far as keyboards go, i do like the action a lot. and you really cant beat the price.

i was just using the regular internal speakers--no monitors.

thanks for the feedback. i'll definitely be posting more videos soon.

Edited by dave solazzo (07/08/09 04:17 AM)

#1228493 - 07/08/09 10:28 AM Re: A couple of short lessons I filmed... [Re: dave solazzo]
nitekatt2008z Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hey Dave, The Privias are the best bang for the buck out there. I use them all the time on jazz gigs, cover bands with MIDI rigs. I think the 320 has the same piano samples as the PX-200.

Did you by chance go to Berklee in Boston? If so, did you know/study with Ray Santisi, Charlie Banacos?

BTW, I have the Jamie Aebersold book on Rhythm changes in all 12 keys and one page shows the 4 different bebop scales as you were showing in one of the lessons. Cool concept.
Getting the fingering down on these 8 notes scales is tricky, depending on what key they are played in.

The other thing I would like to get into is the Chick/McCoy pentatonic scales. I have a pentatonic book, but there are no fingerings and to run those up and down the scales at fast tempos gets to be a stumble. Any thoughts on getting the pentatonic thing happening?

Thanx katt

#1228649 - 07/08/09 04:59 PM Re: A couple of short lessons I filmed... [Re: nitekatt2008z]
dave solazzo Offline

hey katt, yeah i agree, the privas are the best bang for the buck. i think they are pretty good keyboards, for any price range really. i have been very happy with mine...had it for a year and it's my main gigging keyboard.

i actually did go to berklee, but i was only there for a short time. didnt get a chance to study with banacos or santisi. those guys are legendary...always heard great things about them and their teaching.

i've been working with some pentatonic stuff for the last few years. when you're running them fast some of the fingering can be kind of hard because you have "spaces" in the scales. it not all just one note next to the other. i dont know that there are any real set fingerings for them, especially when you are starting them in different places and in different combinations. i've just been using whatever works and whatever is comfortable, fingering wise.

ive been using this really cool "coltrane" pentatonic scale. it's a little different from a standard pentatonic scale. it works great on regular seventh chords, and also on minor sixth chords.

ill do my next video on that.

Edited by dave solazzo (07/08/09 05:03 PM)

#1228815 - 07/09/09 04:35 AM Re: A couple of short lessons I filmed... [Re: knotty]
dario77 Offline

Originally Posted By: knotty
Dave,

cool videos. it's somewhat annoying to see the keyboard upside down. Makes it hard to follow the scales, fingering etc...

take care

turn the monitor upside down wink

#1229924 - 07/11/09 05:39 AM Re: A couple of short lessons I filmed... [Re: dario77]
gryphon Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Okemos, MI
Dave, I notice you're using rootless chords in your LH. 3-alt9, maybe 3-alt5-7-alt9. It sounds nice even without a bass player. Do you often play with a bass?

#1230052 - 07/11/09 01:24 PM Re: A couple of short lessons I filmed... [Re: gryphon]
dave solazzo Offline

i do play with bass players quite often.

yeah, those rootless left hand voicings work well for solo playing too. you wouldnt want to use them all the time but when used occasionally in solo playing they sound great. bill evans used to do that, and im sure many others as well.

when im playing solo i also use bass lines, stride patters, and other left hand techniques to give it more "bottom."

Edited by dave solazzo (07/11/09 01:33 PM)

#1230054 - 07/11/09 01:32 PM Re: A couple of short lessons I filmed... [Re: dave solazzo]
nitekatt2008z Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hey Dave, sounds good. I have pentatonic solos copies from Chick Corea, Matrix, etc. but getting them smooth sounding like he does is tough because of the 4th intervals and such, the fingering is tricky. Is there a pentatonic exercise to get the proper fingerings together that you know of?

Thanx again

katt

#1230060 - 07/11/09 01:56 PM Re: A couple of short lessons I filmed... [Re: nitekatt2008z]
dave solazzo Offline

hey katt,

i don't really know of an exercise for that. i think just playing the lines really slowly would help...till they get under your fingers.

i also find that when you're playing lines with larger "leaps or "skips" in them it's tricky because there is a tendency to tighten the wrist. when i play stuff like that i try to stay relaxed and keep my wrist fairly loose, and make sure that i'm getting the proper balance so i can drop the weight of my hand and arm into the next note, without getting tight. being aware of this, i think, will make your line come off smoother and with a better tone.

and again, i think that practicing slowly is the best way to do this.

#1230758 - 07/13/09 04:48 AM Re: A couple of short lessons I filmed... [Re: dave solazzo]
landorrano Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Hey, real nice little video.

#1230960 - 07/13/09 01:53 PM Re: A couple of short lessons I filmed... [Re: dave solazzo]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: dave solazzo
I filmed these last night. Still experimenting with camera angles and lighting and all that stuff.

You can check them out here if you'd like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIOwtaWZtmI&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AFQzBWJjGE&feature=channel

thanks...

Thanks for posting that. I'm looking for lessons just like this! Do you have lessons on left hand chord voicings?

#1231005 - 07/13/09 03:52 PM Re: A couple of short lessons I filmed... [Re: Nikalette]
dave solazzo Offline

hey nikalette,

i'm going to be doing more of these short videos. i'll be sure to do one on left hand voicings.

what aspect of the left hand voicings are you interested in?

Edited by dave solazzo (07/13/09 03:52 PM)

#1231101 - 07/13/09 07:03 PM Re: A couple of short lessons I filmed... [Re: dave solazzo]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

hey nikalette,

i'm going to be doing more of these short videos. i'll be sure to do one on left hand voicings.

what aspect of the left hand voicings are you interested in?

There are 2 types of things I would like to learn on voicings, especially left hand.

One would be for solo piano: I've learned the typical chords and inversions, but jazz chords are so much "bigger" ie there are so many notes, that you clearly don't need to put them all in the left hand. And if you're playing the melody in the right hand, I suppose you can put some of the chord tones there as well. I'm just starting to try to learn jazz piano.

Also, I sing, and I've always played chords and arpeggios in my right hand and a few bass notes in the left, or if playing blues maybe something more complicated, but again, the chords are pretty basic even with 7ths and 6ths in there.

So there is the issue of what I would play while I am singing in the jazz/standards songs with more complex chords. Then I would not be playing the melody in the right hand.

I guess I need to learn about comping.

#1231492 - 07/14/09 02:23 PM Re: A couple of short lessons I filmed... [Re: Nikalette]
dave solazzo Offline

nikalette, i'll do a couple of videos: one on voicings, and one on comping/accompanying.

thanks for the idea!

i'll try to get them up in the next week or so.

#1231705 - 07/14/09 10:12 PM Re: A couple of short lessons I filmed... [Re: dave solazzo]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

nikalette, i'll do a couple of videos: one on voicings, and one on comping/accompanying.

thanks for the idea!

i'll try to get them up in the next week or so.

THANKS!!! SO MUCH!!! I'll be looking forward to them.

#1232880 - 07/17/09 10:43 AM Re: A couple of short lessons I filmed... [Re: knotty]
Riddler Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: knotty
Dave,
.. it's somewhat annoying to see the keyboard upside down. Makes it hard to follow the scales, fingering etc...

¡ǝɯ oʇ ʞo ʎlʇɔǝɟɹǝd sɯǝǝs

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Exorcist movie main theme
by Danijelcro
09/23/14 12:03 PM
Free Cunningham Piano Company Grand Piano
by Rich D.
09/23/14 11:05 AM
Baldwin capo: a metallic-buzz sound generating system
by A443
09/23/14 11:00 AM
MP11 sustain pedal (F30) release: possible issue?
by kanadajin
09/23/14 10:59 AM
Chopin - Scherzo 1 Help
by YoungNoir
09/23/14 10:22 AM
Who's Online
141 registered (ajames, allakart, Aljon, 43 invisible), 1576 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76290 Members
42 Forums
157709 Topics
2316557 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission