2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Cheeto717, 12 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I'm nearing the end of the Alfred Adult Course Book 1. From what I've covered in the book so far, it seems that the Alfred series has a very chord-centered approach, where LH always plays chords, chords, and more chords.

Recently, my teacher made my play the first couple of pieces from the Frances Clark Book of Contemporary Piano Literature, Bk 1. These short pieces should technically be at or below my level, but I had a hard time coordinating both hands, especially the LH.The LH plays only one or 2 notes at most, but the lack of a distinctive pattern threw me off kilter. No endless repeating chords for the LH unlike with Alfred.

Is this a weakness of a chord-centered approach? I think chords are great especially for playing pop songs, but my ultimate goal is to play classical and contemporary classical. But I get the feeling that reliance on chord patterns might make my LH less independent as well as hamper my reading of the bass cleff. I was thinking that the next book in the Alfred's series might address this issue but I skimmed over Book 2 last night and it was more LH chords.

I'd like to hear your opinions especially those further along in the Alfred series. Are all these chords good foundation for playing classical? Is LH independence something that I shouldn't be overly concerned about this early in my piano lessons?

Last edited by marimorimo; 07/19/09 10:48 PM.

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +
Chords are an excellent foundation for playing classical because they exist as "patterns" in each of the key signatures. If you know the chords, you'll really "see" them when you start tackling classical music, so you'll realize, "Oh, that's just a repetition of a C, Dm, and E."

LH independence is just a matter of practice. In fact, I'm working on Czerny's 24 for the Left Hand, and the right hand has chords and the left hand the melody and I have a difficult time coordinating the right hand chords to the melody! Learning the piano really has a lot of depth -- just when you think you've got a good grasp, you look at the next piece and say, "Yikes! What the heck is that?!?" Then, practice, practice, practice.

Also, there's no shame in playing "below" level. For years, I stretched beyond my technical abilities to play "harder" pieces and met utter frustration. Now, I've dropped several levels just so I can improve on technique, dynamics, and interpretation. It's a much more joyful approach to playing and the "easy" pieces are sounding spectacular.

In piano there is no going "backwards." Eventually, you'll need to do it all. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What Alfred is doing is easing you into playing and reading for both hands by giving you almost nothing to do for your LH other than learn rhythm and recognize notes of the chord positions. Consider the endless repetition of chords a kind of exercise.

In book 2, Alfred put you through more complicated rhythm involving both hands and begin to make you play broken chords instead of chords together, but having played chords together makes it easy to see the LH notes are actually chords broken out into notes. Book 1's Scarborough Fair LH is all broken chords. Lots of music use broken chords.

If you learn your chords well, later on when you learn arpegios and Alberti bass common in classical music of Mozart, Beethoven, etc, you'll instantly recognize them to be based on specific chords you know, making sight reading them a piece of cake. If you don't know your chords, then you'll struggle to read both LH bass and RH melody at the same time.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Susan K. &4evrBeginR : Thanks a lot! You explained it nicely. It seems there's nothing I should worry about. So I'm gladly sticking with the book smile Glad to know it's a good foundation for classical.

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission