Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#1234005 - 07/19/09 09:26 PM Re: Help Us Choose the Default Look & Feel [Re: currawong]
Emanuel Ravelli Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
Coffee or the current default work best for me. I'm with Currawong on one point -- the importance of having some visible way of telling whether a thread has been read before. She says that only coffee or koniro provide that now. I haven't played around with these enough yet to tell for sure. But if the current default doesn't mark previously read threads: (i) Why not? Isn't that a pretty basic feature of good forum/bulletin board design, regardless of template colors? (ii) I withdraw my vote for the default and vote only for coffee.

As for Sotto Voce's suggestion that the font is too big, just wait 'til you hit 60, young fella. (I'll bet you like Kalmus editions, too.) I think our font is perfect the way it is, except when I wish it were bigger. Which is at least half the time. help

Piano & Music Accessories
#1234073 - 07/20/09 12:56 AM Re: Help Us Choose the Default Look & Feel [Re: Emanuel Ravelli]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Emanuel Ravelli
[...]
As for Sotto Voce's suggestion that the font is too big, just wait 'til you hit 60, young fella. (I'll bet you like Kalmus editions, too.) I think our font is perfect the way it is, except when I wish it were bigger. Which is at least half the time. help

I have taken the idea away from some of Steven's posts that he is not a young fella. smile

#1234553 - 07/20/09 11:26 PM Re: Help Us Choose the Default Look & Feel [Re: Horowitzian]
Emanuel Ravelli Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia
You're probably right about that. But anyone who isn't complaining about tiny, illegible computer fonts is a young fella in my book. thumb

#1234597 - 07/21/09 01:07 AM Re: Help Us Choose the Default Look & Feel [Re: 88Key_PianoPlayer]
marimorimo Offline

Loc: Kingdom of Nodame
Coffee is nice, but I voted for the default look. I think it's slightly easier on the eyes.
30th Week Playing Piano
--------------------------------------------
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +
--------------------------------------------

#1234624 - 07/21/09 02:20 AM Re: Help Us Choose the Default Look & Feel [Re: Horowitzian]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Originally Posted By: Horowitzian
I have taken the idea away from some of Steven's posts that he is not a young fella. smile
Age is relative, Horowitzian. I think it's a pretty sure bet that anyone who thinks the font is too big is younger than me! smile

#1234902 - 07/21/09 03:59 PM Re: Help Us Choose the Default Look & Feel [Re: Emanuel Ravelli]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

You're probably right about that. But anyone who isn't complaining about tiny, illegible computer fonts is a young fella in my book. thumb

Maybe he has good eyes. smile

I put my vote in the "Too big" camp. grin

#1235001 - 07/21/09 06:39 PM Re: Help Us Choose the Default Look & Feel [Re: Horowitzian]
KawaiDon Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
The "Coffee" colors are nice, and it's easy to read, but the silly bean icons need to go. They look like, I dunno, something ugly.

#1235035 - 07/21/09 07:42 PM Re: Help Us Choose the Default Look & Feel [Re: Piano World]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Looks like Coffee and Koniro are running neck and neck. I voted for Koniro, I hadn't noticed there were options for the look of the forums.

I think the original default is easiest on the eyes, but the blue is more cheerful and it is nice to have the unread topics bolded.

#1235782 - 07/23/09 08:40 AM Re: Help Us Choose the Default Look & Feel [Re: 88Key_PianoPlayer]
LVP Offline

Loc: Vermont
Coffee has my vote as well.

#1236657 - 07/24/09 03:55 PM Re: Help Us Choose the Default Look & Feel [Re: LVP]
M A R L A Offline

Loc: New York
I think none of them are particularly elegant as far as design, simplicity or readability goes (but I work for a website full time and am a tough critic!) - however cofee is definitely the easiest on the eyes. Sort of like amber lenses in your prescription shades.

#1236659 - 07/24/09 03:56 PM Re: Help Us Choose the Default Look & Feel [Re: KawaiDon]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: KawaiDon
The "Coffee" colors are nice, and it's easy to read, but the silly bean icons need to go. They look like, I dunno, something ugly.

grin grin grin grin

#1236679 - 07/24/09 04:24 PM Re: Help Us Choose the Default Look & Feel [Re: Horowitzian]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

I just switched to koniro to try it out. I'd have a hard time choosing between it and coffee. They are definitely the best of the lot as far as readability and ease on the eyes. I also like that unread topics are in boldface font in both. smile

#1236682 - 07/24/09 04:26 PM Re: Help Us Choose the Default Look & Feel [Re: Emanuel Ravelli]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

smile Well I got an email from someone recently that was in 6 pt. Now that is just about too small. Although the anti-aliased fonts on Macs definitely improve readability dramatically.

#1236717 - 07/24/09 04:54 PM Re: Help Us Choose the Default Look & Feel [Re: Horowitzian]
Rosanna Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay area
I have been using koniro because I find it very important that unread threads are bolded in that style. Also because I like blue, so I didn't use the coffee style. (I won't want to use the other styles because of the lack of the bolded unread thread.)

But am now trying the coffee style because of its popularity. It seems cleaner and easier on the eyes.

I'd be happy with either coffee or konira as the forum default.

#1236888 - 07/24/09 10:35 PM Re: Help Us Choose the Default Look & Feel [Re: survivordan]
Retread Offline

Loc: Chicagoland
I prefer Pastels tho I would not be sad to see Default remain.

Thanx for all your hard work! ~ Retread

#1237117 - 07/25/09 01:38 PM Re: Help Us Choose the Default Look & Feel [Re: apple*]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
Coffee!!

#1238328 - 07/27/09 05:14 PM Re: Help Us Choose the Default Look & Feel [Re: Strings & Wood]
AT83 Offline

Loc: ORD
I believe the stock default is better. From what I can remember of my web design courses in college, black text on a white background is the most easily read. I would keep it simple for the default, either the current stock or the coffee version is acceptable. For those viewing on mobile devices adding that background pattern and cute bean icons may increase their load time over slow wireless networks. (I have spent considerable time reading the forums from a blackberry.) Most people are here for the information contained in the text, not the pretty colors on the page.

#1238345 - 07/27/09 05:36 PM Re: Help Us Choose the Default Look & Feel [Re: AT83]
J_N Offline

Loc: Newcastle, UK
Is scripting something new very difficult? I like the coffee theme (though it seems a bit dark to me... not really inviting), but I don't really see any connection to music smile would be nice to have a bespoke theme... clefs or notes instead of the beans... and stuff... just my 2p...

#1238347 - 07/27/09 05:37 PM Re: Help Us Choose the Default Look & Feel [Re: KawaiDon]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: KawaiDon

Yes, they look like that ugly thing, and also kind of like an aerial view of the human brain.

#1238548 - 07/27/09 11:07 PM Re: Help Us Choose the Default Look & Feel [Re: Nikalette]
WalkFar Offline

Loc: Urbana, Illinois
I use Koniro.

Coffee was my second choice, but those beans did not work.

#1238913 - 07/28/09 01:46 PM Re: Help Us Choose the Default Look & Feel [Re: currawong]
terminaldegree Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: western Wisconsin
I use "dark", but Koniro is also nice with Coffee in 3rd place.
Casio px-200, Bechstein A190 #192939 @ home
Steinway A #585209, B #416809 @ work
Schimmel 130T #339100, on loan

#1249589 - 08/15/09 01:01 AM Re: Help Us Choose the Default Look & Feel [Re: terminaldegree]
Eternal Music Student Offline

Loc: Nashville
I'd like the visited links to change color from the non-visited ones. Seems like that used to work on Piano World? I've got a few "custom" CSS files that supposedly force this to happen, & work on other forums, but none work here. I am no expert at CSS--hate this type of "tinkering with computers" crap. Any ideas? Mac Tiger; Windows XP. Maybe I'm overlooking some setting somewhere.

#1255184 - 08/24/09 02:13 PM Re: Help Us Choose the Default Look & Feel [Re: Piano World]
Musicwoman Offline

I would have wanted something lighter and more fun. Although this earthly colors are fine. It is just so safe.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
126 registered (AndrewJCW, A Guy, 37 invisible), 1718 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75495 Members
42 Forums
156107 Topics
2292425 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Broken Butt Plate - Replacement part?
by musicNow
17 minutes 27 seconds ago
Liszt's letters to Jessie Laussot
by Michael Sayers
42 minutes 10 seconds ago
Good popular and classical songs for a piano gig?
by Tony Romo
Today at 07:13 PM
Famous mistakes by concert pianists
by rov
Today at 06:40 PM
Korg Triton>midi>us
b>lightning to usb>iPad mini>Garageband

by SilentMHP
Today at 04:54 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission