2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,816 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 44 of 190 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 189 190
Horwinkle – one other thing I’d suggest about purchasing one of the Alfred’s Adult books: Just buy the one you think is right for your current level and don’t get the next one in the series right away. They come out with new edditions from time to time and by the time your done with one, you may find they have a “new and improved” version out for the next level.

Waltz – no laughing here. I think you played the majority of “Olympic Procession” very well (I can remember having a hard time getting thoes left hand jumps down). The retardando could be a little more gradual, and you may want to take a closer look at some of the timing in the final part that follows. But that’s just this hack’s opinion.

Undone

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Undone,

Everything you named is the reason I thought my performance stank (plus I sped through one triplet). I think the "left hand jumps" (plus the second inversion chords) were the main technique to be learned so I suppose I won't rerecord.

As a note on my progress:

I have passed Farewell to Thee and am currently on Black Forest Polka (which I really like). In the past, FTT had received harsh reviews on this forum (and I can certainly understand why). It was not so bad however and it certainly drives home the distinctions in playing and reading first versus second inversions. I won't make a recording of FTT since it's not that "musical" (at least to me). I plan on making one of BFP once I finish.

Happy Monday everyone!

W

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Tried to post this earlier, but I had to re-encode the Mp3. It's a rushed, slightly sloppy version of the Hungarian Rhapsody #2 theme. And there is one jump in there I still have trouble with, where the RH thumb crosses under #4 (ring finger). But it's good enough for me to move on, so I will.

http://www.box.net/shared/62yq62gg72

Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
AWTPP,

Great job on the Rhapsody! If I were to offer any criticism (which I hope doesn't offend), I would have put slightly more emphasis on the third beat of each measure. Besides that, your performance was very enjoyable. I think Alexander's Ragtime Band is next for you. I did not care for that song but it does not take that long to learn.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thank you, Waltz. No offense at all, in fact, I think you for taking the time to give it a listen. Yes, I hear what you are saying, and you are absolutely right.

Morning Has Broken is next for me, followed by Alexander's. I'll have to take your word that Alexander's comes quickly... my early tinkering with it has been slow going.

Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
W
W
I'm mucking around with Light and Blue and Hungarian Rhapsody at the moment. I like the last section of rhapsody but not the first for some reason. So far in book two my favourite pieces are Bridal Chorus, Overture and Guantanamera. I still need to work on the last one, I think I must have some kind of sheet music specific dyslexia cause I keep missing when the broken chords change in places like the 7th measure ;-)

Is anyone else learning on a keyboard rather than a piano? I was wondering how the touch sensitivity of a keyboard like my Yamaha PSR-e413 compares to a real piano (obviously really bad ;_) and whether its worth turning it on. So far I have turned it off, figuring learning the notes is hard enough without also having to control the velocity when hitting the keys.

AWTPP – I’ll second that “Great job!” on Hungarian Rhapsody #2. If you feel like just “goofing off” sometime, you can have a lot of fun with this piece. There have been a number of parodies done on this selection; things like changing the timing, adding exaggerated hesitations, speeding up like crazy in some parts, etc. Well beyond our ability, but fun none the less, is Victor Borge’s version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aajtw30-YG0

Wrenn – I’m learning on a keyboard; a Yamaha YPG-625. I think the weighted keys are crucial. I’ve played both “real” pianos and non-weighted keyboards in the past and there was no way I could practice on a non-weighted KB and then use what I’d learned on a piano. I don’t know how the key action on your model compares with the one I’m using however.

Undone

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hello Book Two Folks:

I have just a small number of pieces left in the All-In-One Book One. Can you give me a summary of what to expect in Book Two? Are the pieces interesting? What are your personal reactions to Book 2 versus Book 1? Does Book 2 sustain your interest? Any major significant hurdles involved in Book 2 that you can think of?

Thanks!

Ang

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Wrenn

Is anyone else learning on a keyboard rather than a piano? I was wondering how the touch sensitivity of a keyboard like my Yamaha PSR-e413 compares to a real piano (obviously really bad ;_) and whether its worth turning it on. So far I have turned it off, figuring learning the notes is hard enough without also having to control the velocity when hitting the keys.

I'm not familiar with that particular keyboard, it says Graded Soft Touch on the product page, so I'm guessing it is similar to my Yamaha NP-30 which uses the same moniker for the touch. If so it's better than synth-touch (no resistance or feel at all) but not like an acoustic piano. Still a big part of learning to play is learning to control dynamics and touch on each note and (at least in my opinion, but I'm pretty much a beginner) enabling the touch will assist you in that goal. Still the touch is going to be different on a real piano, but the control you have to develop is going to be similar.

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Print Gallery - Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by angelojf
Hello Book Two Folks:

I have just a small number of pieces left in the All-In-One Book One. Can you give me a summary of what to expect in Book Two? Are the pieces interesting? What are your personal reactions to Book 2 versus Book 1? Does Book 2 sustain your interest? Any major significant hurdles involved in Book 2 that you can think of?

Thanks!

Ang

Book 2 has been much different than Book 1 for me. Book 1 was more of an introduction of how to play the piano. Book 2 assumes you can already play basic piano and successively introduces new technical skills in each piece. To me, Book 2 (along with perhaps the Entertainer/Amazing Grace from 1) is where the "real" piano music begins with the Alfred piano series. In practical terms this means the pieces will take much, much longer to master yet are more engaging. (of course what I say here I'll probably say regarding Book 2 once I move on to Book 3). Hurry up and finish Book 1 so you can join us here smile

W

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Waltz

Book 2 has been much different than Book 1 for me. Book 1 was more of an introduction of how to play the piano. Book 2 assumes you can already play basic piano and successively introduces new technical skills in each piece. To me, Book 2 (along with perhaps the Entertainer/Amazing Grace from 1) is where the "real" piano music begins with the Alfred piano series. In practical terms this means the pieces will take much, much longer to master yet are more engaging. (of course what I say here I'll probably say regarding Book 2 once I move on to Book 3). Hurry up and finish Book 1 so you can join us here smile
W

Couldn't have said it any better myself. I'm approaching the end of book #2 as I type. I think I'm 3 pieces away from Canon D (end song) which is going to be great fun to learn. I prob anticipate that taking me a good 2wks to get through (not solid but in terms of my lesson weeks)

Book #2 took prob x2.5 times longer to complete (for me) than #1. There are MANY great pieces which I have now added to my repertoire to practice on a daily basis so yes, there is much to look forward in #2.. I've even managed to get some of these down on the Zoom but haven't uploaded (listened to them yet) which I hope to get done tomorrow..

thumb

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
wj3 Offline
Hello book twoers. I am just about to finish Amazing Grace in book one and going on to book two. Gee if it takes 2.5 times as long to finish book two, it looks as I will be working on it for awhile. I will probably be joining in in a week or two.

wj3

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well that was for me, had some "stops" along the way for recitals etc also. If I hadn't of had those breaks I'd have probably gotten through it at maybe twice as long as #1.

I'm scared to even look in the #3 thread at the moment smile

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
wj3,

We'll certainly be glad to have you here! There aren't many active Book 2 people who post. (Undone, TTigg, Key Notes, AWTPP, and myself are all that immediately come to mind)

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm no where near book 2 yet, just started book one a couple of weeks ago, but the talk of 2.5 times as long and with wj3 just finishing one, it makes me wonder how long each of you or on average it takes to get through the books?

Last edited by kennychaffin; 04/07/09 05:42 PM.

Kenny A. Chaffin
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Kenny,

There are many factors which contribute to completion time. These include practice time, whether your are a basic or all-in-one student, and to some degree your "ability". You will see wide ranging numbers which probably won't be useful in estimating your own completion time. Students here spend from 1-12+ months on Book 1. Yet for Book 2 I'd guess most will spend at least closer to a year. I am hoping to be done with all-in-one Book 2 by mid July. Heres to progress laugh

W

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Waltz. Yeah I'm sure there's a wide range. I was just curious, personally I will progress as fast as I progress. smile

Kenny A. Chaffin
wj3 Offline
Kenny, I have spent a long time on book one, with stops and starts. My teacher has had me working on other things. So I had to finish book one kind of on my own. So for me its been at least two years. I hope I can concentrate on book two a little better.

Walt

wj3

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wj3
Kenny, I have spent a long time on book one, with stops and starts. My teacher has had me working on other things. So I had to finish book one kind of on my own. So for me its been at least two years. I hope I can concentrate on book two a little better.

Walt

Thanks Walt. I understand. I'm sure whether one is working through it themselves or with a teacher makes a difference as well. Looking forward to your "end of book one" party. smile

Kenny A. Chaffin
D
D
I am in book 2 also but am using the lesson book only not the all in one. I am doing The House Of The Rising Sun and Sakura this week. I really like this book. I have just recently started playing again. I went through half of book 2 around 8 years ago and and just started back recently. I am using greatest hits level 2 also which is alot of fun. Is anybody else using other books beside alfred method book?

Page 44 of 190 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission