Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#1234540 - 07/20/09 10:56 PM Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick?
ToriAnais Offline

Loc: Australia
I'm very aware how dangerous it is to have students playing with tense hands, but I don't seem able to find the trick to relaxing them.

I've tried the tips in the start of the piano adventures primers - arms like heavy ropes, unfurl hands like flowers, an arms length from the fallboard etc. I am very strict about getting students to play on their fingertips. I've told them to lift their wrists higher, relax their shoulders, let their arms hang heavy, use the weight of their arm to push their fingers down instead of muscles in their hands...it's driving me nuts that i can't get these kids to play with relaxed fingers!

What am I doing wrong?

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1234599 - 07/21/09 01:13 AM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: ToriAnais]
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
You cannot play on fingertips without tension. If you use the pads the hand can take its natural shape as Chopin advocated.

#1234607 - 07/21/09 01:21 AM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: keyboardklutz]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
I observed this exercise at a master class:

Take both hands, raise them a foot above the keys, and just let the hands fall freely onto the keys. Repeat several times until the student is completely free of tension. Let gravity do all the work. Then, gradually let the free fall land on specific fingers and notes.

I used to be strict on hand shapes, but I've worked with a few kids who play with flat fingers--not by choice but by physical necessity. As soon as these kids try to form round hand shapes, their joints collapse inwardly.

#1234629 - 07/21/09 02:37 AM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: AZNpiano]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
mitts off, are you talking about dhildren or adults.

#1234644 - 07/21/09 03:55 AM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: landorrano]
ToriAnais Offline

I'm talking about children. I know partly it's to do with building strength in their hands, but I'm sure there must be more tricks out there that haven't crossed my path yet and I wanna know em!

#1234746 - 07/21/09 11:37 AM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: ToriAnais]
JazzPianoEducator Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
I agree with AZNpiano's technique which I also observed through a master class with jazz pianist Kenny Werner. I think this technique can work for kids and adults. Kids tend to take to it because it's kind of fun to just drop your hand on the piano...

#1234748 - 07/21/09 11:39 AM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: JazzPianoEducator]

Probably more suitable for your older students, but having your students check out Kenny Werner's book "effortless mastery" could be a resource on how to relax tension at the piano. The book also comes with meditation like cds to promote relaxation

#1234768 - 07/21/09 12:13 PM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: JazzPianoEducator]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I think it's also important to realize that for many students, fixing a problem like this can take months. There is no exercise that, done only a few times, creates the habit you want.

All of the above advice is good, but a big part of teaching is having the faith to take that advice and implement it in every lesson the student has over a period of months or years. I've seen kbk's hand shape advice and AZN's arm drop in countless masterclasses with students ranging in age from 6 to 26. Why? Because it's good advice and deserves attention throughout one's student years.
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1234776 - 07/21/09 12:24 PM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: Kreisler]

Good point Kreisler, like most things important with learning piano there isn't an easy fix!

#1234787 - 07/21/09 12:47 PM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: JazzPianoEducator]
Gyro Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Mitts off, what you're doing wrong, in my view, is
trying to force some theoretically correct way of
playing on your students. This way might work for
you and the person who devised it, but everyone
is different physiologically and psychologically,
and no one way of playing is going to suit everyone--
in particular this arm-weight method, which I see
as fundamentally flawed. In the 17th to 19th centuries
students where taught to play with a coin on the
back of the hand, for the very reason that it prevents
using arm-weight to play and gets you playing mostly
from the fingers and hands, which is the simplest
and most efficient way to play. People today sneer at this
old way of playing as out of date, but all the great
players, Bach, Mozart, Chopin, Liszt, Rachmanioff, etc.
learned this way.

#1234796 - 07/21/09 01:00 PM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: Gyro]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: Gyro
no one way of playing is going to suit everyone--
and most efficient way to play.

If you play like that on a modern grand piano, you are severely limiting your range of dynamics and tonal colors.

#1234798 - 07/21/09 01:03 PM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: Gyro]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
It cannot be simultaneously true that (1) "no one way of playing is going to suit everyone" and (2) your method is "the simplest and most efficient way to play." Furthermore, your assertion that "all" the great players learned that way is absurd.

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#1234877 - 07/21/09 03:12 PM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: AZNpiano]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
This is important:
Originally Posted By: AZNpiano

I used to be strict on hand shapes, but I've worked with a few kids who play with flat fingers--not by choice but by physical necessity. As soon as these kids try to form round hand shapes, their joints collapse inwardly.

The key is quietly observing then subtly guiding. Many teachers CAUSE tension by micro-managing technique. Most people will do too much of whatever we tell them to do. This is especially true with adults, but it happens with children too.

As usual Gyro's technical advice is very wrong.

#1234891 - 07/21/09 03:36 PM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: AZNpiano]
Morodiene Online   content

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
no one way of playing is going to suit everyone--
and most efficient way to play.

If you play like that on a modern grand piano, you are severely limiting your range of dynamics and tonal colors.

Not only that. I learned with a coin on the back of my hand, but I do not teach it. I don't think it's a good idea, and my students do not have tension issues. Just because someone is taught that way does not mean they teach that way. Also, the pianos we play today are not the same as they used to be. I've played on period instruments and replicas. It is way different.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1234911 - 07/21/09 04:08 PM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: Morodiene]
Gyro Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I don't buy this arm-weight/gravity-based/relaxation,
modern way of playing. I see it as an inevitable
result of the continual modern trend toward ease and
convenience. Modern players want to do it the easy
way and don't want to sweat and sacrifice, and so
naturally, modern methods have evolved to accommodate
this with techniques that imply lack of hard work
and ease: let gravity do the work for you; let
the weight of the arm do the work of playing for
you while you loaf; just relax while playing and
everything will be fine; etc. That's okay if
you just want to play unchallenging pieces your
whole life, but if you want to rise as a player
you're going to have to work and suffer.

Edited by Gyro (07/21/09 04:11 PM)

#1234956 - 07/21/09 05:23 PM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: Gyro]
Morodiene Online   content

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL

Ya, all the greatest pianists of our time are slackers. They don't play challenging stuff. They don't sacrifice time and energy to learn pieces to perfection. It's all because they want to be lazy and play without pain.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1234968 - 07/21/09 05:40 PM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: Morodiene]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Morodiene

Ya, all the greatest pianists of our time are slackers. They don't play challenging stuff. They don't sacrifice time and energy to learn pieces to perfection. It's all because they want to be lazy and play without pain.

Add Chopin to the list of slackers. He was one of the first to start all this "silly modern stuff". laugh

#1235046 - 07/21/09 08:01 PM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: Gyro]
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA

The only challenging piece you've spoken of learning is Chopin's Op. 14, which has apparently been stalled at 3/4 speed for years. It might be time to question your own assumptions about what works if you ever want to progress.

You've said, too, that you lack talent, which could be a factor in the sweat, sacrifice and suffering you find necessary. I think playing (and even practicing) should be pleasurable, and it is—as I think it generally is for people whose goals are reasonable. Even if it's not always exactly "easy," it certainly never involves the brutal struggle of brute-force repetition to which you so often refer.

Steven

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
—Albert Schweitzer

Chopin: Allegro de Concert Op. 46
Schumann: Toccata Op. 7
Fauré: Ballade Op. 19

#1235052 - 07/21/09 08:17 PM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: sotto voce]
ToriAnais Offline

Hehehehehe i love a good laugh in the morning. I'm pretty sure gyro doesn't believe the stuff he says most of the time and is just trying to get a rise out of everyone. It's funny stuff.

So hmm, interesting conclusion everyone's coming to - that by micromanaging I'm doing more damage than if i calm down and realise this is going to take time.

Incidently I started my youngest student ever yesterday - a girl who has just turned 5, and she has hands like a babies. It's terrifying. She kind of just poked at the keys. I'm going to have to take a way different tack to how I start off 6 year olds I think!

#1235120 - 07/21/09 11:08 PM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: ToriAnais]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: mitts_off
Hehehehehe i love a good laugh in the morning. I'm pretty sure gyro doesn't believe the stuff he says most of the time and is just trying to get a rise out of everyone.

Only Gyro knows why he does what he does. If he is being humorous, he's maintained the practical joke for 3304 posts. smile

#1235218 - 07/22/09 06:25 AM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: ToriAnais]
keyboardklutz Offline

Originally Posted By: mitts_off
Incidently I started my youngest student ever yesterday - a girl who has just turned 5, and she has hands like a babies. It's terrifying. She kind of just poked at the keys. I'm going to have to take a way different tack to how I start off 6 year olds I think!
Don't expect tiny fingers to play on anything other than a light keyboard. Teach 'drop and flop' (down) and flick (up) instead. You'll find them here: www.youtube.com/isstip

#1235577 - 07/22/09 07:29 PM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: keyboardklutz]
ToriAnais Offline

Thanks a tonne KK :*)

#1235581 - 07/22/09 07:35 PM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: ToriAnais]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I recently had a little girl who had pain in her pinky on two chords that she played with no problem at home, on her unweighted tiny keyboard.

Her mother wanted her to "be brave and play through the pain in lessons".

It took me three weeks to fix that!!!

#1235605 - 07/22/09 08:25 PM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: Gary D.]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Evidence: I learned with the coin on the hand thing and now, decades later, the tension has indeed limited my technique sacrificing speed, articulation and tone. I am now struggling to learn how to relax all that tension.

(BTW my teacher has me doing the ropey arms thing, slow scales while concentrating on releasing tension, heavy arms, exaggerating movement in my wrists, etc. The key seems to be in my shoulders. If I concentrate on relaxing them, it helps all the way to my fingerips.)

Deborah

#1235609 - 07/22/09 08:31 PM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: gooddog]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I have been telling people for YEARS that the muscles in the shoulder/neck area are trigger points. The moment you get students to release unnecessary tension there, you will see the upper arms, elbows and forearms release tension, and it goes right down into the fingers.

Usually children only hold tension there when they are badly instructed, but adults will hold those muscles so tight, they will actually spasm.

#1235653 - 07/22/09 10:19 PM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: Gyro]
Little_Blue_Engine Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, US

My dad always told me "it's better to work smart than work hard." Why torture yourself and suffer if the same results can be achieved with less work?

#1235756 - 07/23/09 05:16 AM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: Gary D.]
keyboardklutz Offline

Originally Posted By: Gary D.
I have been telling people for YEARS that the muscles in the shoulder/neck area are trigger points. The moment you get students to release unnecessary tension there, you will see the upper arms, elbows and forearms release tension, and it goes right down into the fingers.

Usually children only hold tension there when they are badly instructed, but adults will hold those muscles so tight, they will actually spasm.
I always remember meeting a student of Matthay at a conference. The fluidity of the playing was overwhelming. She said afterwards it's in the shoulders where the last bit of tension is found and released, then all the fireworks start.

#1235776 - 07/23/09 08:03 AM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: Gary D.]
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minnesota
Originally Posted By: Gary D.
The moment you get students to release unnecessary tension there, you will see the upper arms, elbows and forearms release tension, and it goes right down into the fingers.

Gary, HOW do you get this to happen? What do you say/do to get that tension to go away?
I have a young lady that plays like this and all of my attempts to get her to relax have been temporary fixes. Her mom says she doesn't play that way at home (not sure though). When she comes to lessons she is strung tight!

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.

#1236040 - 07/23/09 03:50 PM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: Ebony and Ivory]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ebony and Ivory

Gary, HOW do you get this to happen? What do you say/do to get that tension to go away?

This will sound extreme.

Make relaxation more important than correct notes.

Make relaxation more important than correct fingering.

Make relaxation more important than correct or even rhythm.

Make relaxation more important than anything else.

This will be TEMPORARY. But you have to get a tense student to believe that being relaxed is more important than playing well. The reason is that you can NOT play well with unnecessary tension. Sooner or later tension will kill everything AND cause serious health problems.
Quote:

I have a young lady that plays like this and all of my attempts to get her to relax have been temporary fixes. Her mom says she doesn't play that way at home (not sure though). When she comes to lessons she is strung tight!

I never listen to parents or students about what is happening at home. According to them, the play correct rhythms, correct notes, relaxed, and everything that goes wrong in lessons ONLY happens HERE. laugh

#1236387 - 07/24/09 09:25 AM Re: Tense hands in beginners. What's the trick? [Re: Gyro]
Nyiregyhazi Offline
2000 Post Club Member

If you honestly think that placing a coin on sombody's hand would provide an antidote to an excessively tense manner of playing, I seriously hope you're not a professional teacher.

The best thing I've found is the advice of Alan Fraser about activating proper grip in the hand. Unless the hand can support, relaxation in the shoulders is futile. If you don't achieve balance, the tension will have to occur somewhere, no matter how hard you try to relax. I was badly affected by the ludicrous idea of a slack hand. It held me back for years. Once I finally got my fingers to support, it became possible to relax. Free shoulders are important, but concentrating on the shoulder itself is futile unless you can find balance at the key. I find the most important thing is to get the kid to learn to rest on the fingers in between the notes. Once they get used to a solid platform to balance on (without need for much effort), things can start to ease up. I'm convinced that tensions in the shoulder usually come out of necessity when then the hand is not supportive enough.

Concentrating on tension in the arms and shoulders etc. before using the hand properly is like trying to fix a leaking bucket by adding more water. First you have to plug the hole, before you worry about adding more water. I think this is a rather uncoventional appraoch, but it certainly worked for me. Relaxing in the wrong places was the underlying cause of the most destructive tensions.

Andrew

Edited by Nyiregyhazi (07/24/09 09:30 AM)

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Unison detuning?
by Beemer
09/20/14 06:54 AM
Steinway Austria Benjamin BE-117
by bmc100
09/20/14 03:59 AM
Trinity ATCL exam questions
by slava_richter
09/19/14 09:54 PM
JBL LSR305 monitors too noisy for DP usage?
by Emiliano
09/19/14 09:52 PM
Pletnev - Poise under duress
by vers la flan
09/19/14 07:34 PM
Who's Online
91 registered (AliAlkhiro, Bamburg, acortot, 29 invisible), 1125 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76253 Members
42 Forums
157638 Topics
2315459 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission