Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 136 of 195 < 1 2 ... 134 135 136 137 138 ... 194 195 >
Topic Options
#1491843 - 08/09/10 05:21 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GracieCat]
GracieCat Offline

Loc: USA
Ok, I converted it to an MP3 file. I'll change the others tonight. smile
-Anything composed by D. Nevue

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1491853 - 08/09/10 05:27 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GracieCat]
Doug F Offline

Loc: Victor, NY
Quote:
Truth be told, I didn't polish Entertainer. I never did smooth out that one measure on the second page. Hated the song. smile

I know which measure you're talking about. I have trouble with it too. I do like it though, it's kind of fun for me to play and instantly recognizable when someone walks in, unlike some of the other "things" I play grin

You might want to check out Audacity, it's free and will convert WAV to MP3, and you can divide the files with it too if you want to record straight to MP3.

I have a great memory, it's just short.

#1491976 - 08/09/10 07:29 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Doug F]
GlassLove Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Hi Everyone!!!
I hated that measure too!!!! bah
I doubt that I ever played it "recital style," but I played it well enough to pass. thumb
I have been having a wonderful summer playing pieces assigned by my teacher. I use a theory book (Kjos) and work on a variety of pieces from many different sources.
Enjoyed your recordings GracieCat!!! Will you return to the same teacher in the fall?

#1492771 - 08/10/10 04:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GlassLove]
GracieCat Offline

No, I don't plan on getting any teacher for a good while. I'll be learning on my own. Glad you've had a good summer with your new pieces GlassLove. When the kids go back to school I'll have some time to pull out some new supplemental stuff.

#1492796 - 08/10/10 05:08 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GlassLove]
Emissary52 Offline

Loc: Monroe, NC USA
Hi Folks! I guess we can all conclude that measure 11 of "The Entertainer" was not our finest hour on the piano! But being the glutton for punishment that I am, I now have four "Easy Scott Joplin" (one is an Alfred Version) books, in addition to the Schirmer (the Real Thing! shocked ) version. They all do "The Entertainer" differently, both note-wise and hand-wise. Who knew?

The mailman also brought Alfred's AIO 2 and 3, along with the AIO Christmas book! Yeah! I bought AIO 2 with the CD, just to see what the fuss was all about! I haven't played it, but at least they labeled it with the piano being in the right channel. I was so happy to have a music book that lies flat, that I tore into "Down in the Valley" and gave myself a pass on that! It's a book 2 "easy gift", before you end up getting "schlonged with the harder stuff". I even started on the Bridal March (not in the regular Adult Bk 2)...it's not too bad ...and you feel like after a few days you might be able to "pull it off" at a wedding! You could rightfully conclude that I was getting desperate after playing those last two pieces in Bk 1, along with "Good King Wenceslas" a million times! grin The AIO books are a much better deal than the regular Adult Books are.

Doug - The AIO Christmas Book "Merry Christmas" seems to have more level 2 material than the one you bought. I went back and forth, trying to decide between the two. You might want to check it out in the future.

I guess I'll be adding the Alfred's 1 logo to my signature soon!

Edited by Emissary52 (08/10/10 05:12 PM)
Alfred 1 Graduate

#1492927 - 08/10/10 07:13 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Emissary52]
Doug F Offline

Well, I'll fess up that after I practiced this afternoon temptation got the best of me and I went through the the first 2 pieces in book 2 as well. They both seemed pretty easy and they won't take much to get up to speed on. I had a good practice and played everything from Scarborough Fair through the end of book 1 well enough that I think I would have been passed on at least 4 of them. My lesson is tomorrow (Wednesday) so I am hoping for the best when I play for my teacher. I still don't expect to get passed on The Entertainer (it's possible) or Amazing Grace (not likely), although I am playing both of them without mistakes, just slower than I would like.

Craig, I'll take a look at that book when I get a chance. I'm a book junkie so if it looks good it'll be hard to resist.

#1493315 - 08/11/10 09:27 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Doug F]
nancymae Offline

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Congrats to you Emissary!!!! I'm almost done with AG...but just need to get it smooth--like Gracie's! I think I will be done with The Entertainer tonight..at least I practiced perfect last night..but that doesn't mean I'm not going to do a meltdown at the teacher's!! I need to get my recorder out. I also got (FINALLY AFTER A MONTH) Findlandia--I just needed to smooth out the parts. Had a great practice last night..the fingers did what I wanted!

Doug--that's awesome you are playing both with no mistakes. That is the clue...you will get faster. It's more important to get it down perfect before "fast"!!!

I had to send back my Xmas book yesterday. I purchased from Amazon, where you can't see inside most music books. My mistake. I ended up with just a melody portion and a cut down version of the songs. So that was a bummer. But, I went right back out to Sheet Music Plus and got the 2 Xmas books that are offered by Alfred. (shhhh...I also got a Broadway book by Hal Leonard..ooohhh I can't wait till I can play those!!!)

My music library is growing by leaps and bounds. My music box that I found at a re-sale book store is almost full--it will probably not be able to fit my new Broadway book!!!! :-(

My husband and I have more books than anything else. The highlight of our vacation last year (besides painting the colors of the Kettle Moraine--I'm an artist too) was finding a really old used book store. It was like stepping back in time. We came out wtih so many books that I had a hard time holding them...and we plan on going back this year. Anyway...they also had TONS....of sheet music there. So, I'm going to be perusing through them next month on vacation! I'll let everyone know my finds!!

Happy playing!

Nancy
Finished Alfred Book 1-August 2010
Started Book 2--August 11, 2010
Alfred Favorites Book

#1493531 - 08/11/10 02:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: nancymae]
Giano Offline

Loc: England
Hi all, as you can see I'm new to this forum, but it was this thread specifically that sparked my interest.

I've been browsing this thread (albeit not thoroughly due to the 136 pages) and I just have a few questions about the Alfred method if that's cool. I've been playing piano for about 6 weeks with a book a friend lent me, but now I'm almost done with it I want something more substantial, and obviously I was drawn to this method as it appears most frequently amongst the proven learning methods on various websites.

Firstly, what is the material like? I've had a look at some of the songs on the first page and it seems ok, but not hugely stimulating, does it stay fresh and interesting? And what does it include in the way of trechnique and theory etc? For example scales and such. I know basic music theory from some guitar and my 6 weeks of this, but I was wondering of the practical sides of it.

Also I generally prefer playing classical music (although much is beyond my rather limited capabilities), so would it be prudent to find a more classical orientated learning method, or use this one (presumably because it's better than most) and find some classical supplementary material (Although this isn't a huge deal because I'm flexible in what I play).

Finally what is the community like in this thread? Obviously there is lots of useful information (I assume, having not read most of it) in the pages preceding, but I've noticed many of the posters are almost on book 2, so are there people left here that are near the beginning of book 1?

#1493615 - 08/11/10 04:28 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Giano]
Doug F Offline

Hello Giano and welcome to the Alfred's Book 1 thread.

You will find the material in this book to be all over the place as far as interesting, boring, challenging, easy, and directed to varying genres of music. I think the method is designed to give you a solid base on which to build off and will complement any kind of style you may be ultimately interested in. You'll find old folk songs, show tunes, some classical, blues, jazz, pop, etc.. If you don't like the piece you're on just keep going and a future one will appeal to you. We have all had our likes and dislikes and they are all different.

If you get the All In One book it will have scales, and theory in it. Many of us also have a separate theory book so that is an option too.

You will not find a friendlier or more helpful bunch of folks to hang around with either. There is so much to be learned from current and former posters and most of the former posters still drop by to say hi and give advice if needed. You can't go wrong here.

Having said that I myself find that it is time to start out in the book 2 thread. I was assigned my first piece in book 2 at my lesson today so I can say I have officially started book 2. I can't call myself a book 1 graduate yet because I have a bit of fine tuning to do on Amazing Grace and The Entertainer but with a bit of luck and a lot of practice I will get my certificate signed at my next lesson in 2 weeks.

I will still be a frequent visitor on this thread though.

#1493621 - 08/11/10 04:34 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Doug F]
Giano Offline

I've had a little more of a look round and I think Alfred is the way to go, so I expect I'll be ordering it early next week once I'm done with my current material.

Good luck with book 2 Doug and I hope to be round here a little more in the very near future.

#1493651 - 08/11/10 04:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Giano]
progrmr Offline

Loc: Columbus OH USA
Hi Giano -

I'm pretty much at the beginning of book 1 - I have been waiting for my first lesson this week to see how my teacher wants to incorporate this book along with a couple others I'm using.

I've found the book to be useful, but I expect my teacher is going be much more beneficial than the book. For example, the book shows you a chord but doesn't show how the chord is derived. Or why you can get a 7th with 3 fingers, or inversions, etc. Maybe it's later in the book but I haven't gotten it yet. My teacher touched upon these concepts in the interview! So while I think the book is good I'm not sure how much it will be used in the course of my lessons.

Anyway welcome! Enjoy the journey.

#1494106 - 08/12/10 09:23 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: progrmr]
nancymae Offline

Welcome Giano! I started the Alfred method in January and am ALMOST done with Book One. Yes, like Doug said there are many different types of music in the books. I always TRIED to find the lesson in the music. It was a triumph to get the song right, no matter how much I hated it. I usually hated it because of what it was trying to teach me. See the exhaustive comments in this thread on Blow the Man Down!! Ha! Good luck with you..and this is the place to be with fellow studiers!!

I had my lesson last night...I played SOOO PERFECTLY on Tuesday night...it just flowed, no mistakes. I get to my teachers..and my fingers flew all over the place...and the piano keys looked as foreign as a car engine!!! How can I get over this performance anxiety!!!! My teacher is very sweet and understanding, but I would like JUST ONCE to be able to show her what I have been doing...no the bumbling mass of fingers and missed notes.

Anyone have any suggestions??????

I was passed on The Entertainer--but have to polish Amazing Grace. She assigned me the first song IN BOOK TWO!!! (I just happened to have it along!!) Plus a couple of songs in my Favorites book.

Any help on performance anxiety would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Nancy
Alfred Favorites Book

#1494134 - 08/12/10 10:11 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: nancymae]
Doug F Offline

I don't have any suggestions for you Nancy, just wanted to let you know that it happens to me all the time too. My teacher is very understanding and patiently waits for me to get it under control. He chimes in with suggestions when he thinks I have stumbled enough. He has explained to me that it is normal and he can see through the mistakes and can tell that I CAN do it and understand the material that is being taught. If he needs to check a particular measure or two for correct notes he just has me play that. If he is checking a questionable rhythm he has me just play the melody one handed. Yesterday the lesson was at a different location and the piano sounded completely different because of the room and the room was very warm because the AC had just been started so I started off terribly. But once I got used to the surroundings and had gone through a couple pieces I started settling down and performed a little better.

I did make the mistake once of saying "let's see how bad I can mess this one up". He stopped me and told me that I was setting myself up for failure by doing that. He encouraged me to think positively and that if I can do it OK at home then eventually I will be able to do it well no matter where I am or who is watching.

I am going to start recording everything to see if that helps and I'll probably ask my wife to start listening to me more often. I haven't decided yet if I want to record with video or just audio but I am going to start with the book 2 pieces. If I can find the time I may go back and try to do the book 1 pieces as well. It would be a good review and help to reinforce the material.

#1494135 - 08/12/10 10:12 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: nancymae]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
I have no advice on performance anxiety, but I wanted to congratulate you on starting Book 2. Like Book 1, there are some good pieces, and some that you will hate, but I think you will have a lot of fun with it.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1494186 - 08/12/10 11:36 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: mom3gram]
nancymae Offline

Thank you mom3gram and Doug! I am going to force myself to record my practices...I have the same thing with the recorder...rubber fingers!! But maybe by doing that, it will help me play for her. I agree with your teacher, Doug, positive thinking is a good thing. Maybe I did set myself up because I had played so perfectly on Tuesday night...I just KNEW I was going to flub everything up!

OK>..my next question...HOW DO I GET THAT LITTLE ALFRED BOOK ONE GRADUATE!!!?????!!!!. I'm going to wait till I get passed on Amazing Grace, but I suspect that will be next week! I never thought I would see the DAY!!!

Thank you!!!

Nancy
Alfred Favorites Book

#1494219 - 08/12/10 12:25 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: nancymae]
wj3 Offline

Loc: Salem, Or
Nancymae. I have the same problem with playing for my teacher. I guess I just want to impress him. Never works out that way. Congratulations on finishing book one. Go to the Alfreds graduates thread and get your little sign. I also have the Favorites book and have found that there are a bunch of the Level two book songs in it. Like Hungarian Rapsody, so that will give you a leg up on book two. Going to try Annies song for the upcoming recital.

2010 Roland KR-115m
Alfreds AIO Level 2:
Working on (Simply Joplin) Solace, Peacherine Rag, A Breeze from Alabama:, (Burgmuller) Progres, Limpid stream.

#1494258 - 08/12/10 01:04 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: nancymae]
Emissary52 Offline

nancymae - I wasn't exactly sure how to add the Level 1 logo to my signature, but eventually, I figured it out. Go to the first post by Mark... who is a "true genius" for starting the Alfred's threads. In that first post, is a link to "The Graduate List". Go there and a little bit down from there, is a posting from BazC who designed them (thank you so much!) and right click on the Level 1 logo. Click the properties and a box will show up with a web address (url) and copy it. Go to the "My Stuff" link and bring up your profile. Go down to the signature area and paste that web address you copied which should be this:

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/6058/alfredslevel1.jpg

Add the word image in those square brackets [img] immediately before the web address and [/img] immediately after and it should pop up afterwards.

There might be an easier way to do this, so anyone else, please feel free to chime in! grin

After I posted it, the word image in the brackets truncated itself to img so I figure it might be confusing ...put image in brackets in front of the address and /image in brackets after and hopefully all will be well!

Edited by Emissary52 (08/12/10 01:09 PM)
Alfred 1 Graduate

#1494418 - 08/12/10 04:10 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: nancymae]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Nancymae,

Quote:
Anyone have any suggestions??????

When you play for your teacher are you reading the notes from the sheets or are you playing from memory? Where are your eyes when you are playing?

Estonia L190 #7284

#1494449 - 08/12/10 04:52 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: JimF]
nancymae Offline

OMG I did it!!! (my little graduate symbol) I was missing one little character! Oy!!! Thank you for your help Emmissary and Doug! I was missing the little / at the end of the image.. It pays to be exact with computers!

wi3---that is the song I am assigned for next week, the Hungarian Rapsody (and my husband thought that He's Got the Whole World was annoying 100+ times). I'm excited to start. I've got to polish Amazing Grace, but my teacher is confident--I am too, considering I can play it perfectly when she is not watching me!!!

JimF: I do both, look at the music and glance at my hands at different places or spots in the music. Sometimes when I look down, they look so foreign to me, like everything I have learned has gone out the window. Now today, during lunch...I was playing just as happily and no problems! I am going to record myself this weekend and maybe that will help. I have that same "panic" feeling with that too.

Do I have to remove my little sign until I get done with Amazing Grace? I'm afraid that I won't be able to put it back out there!

Thank you for all your help everyone!

Nancy
Alfred Favorites Book

#1494463 - 08/12/10 05:05 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: nancymae]
Emissary52 Offline

nancymae - Playing it perfectly by yourself, makes you eminently qualified in my book! Keep that logo, Kiddo! A hearty congratuations BTW, and we'll look forward to seeing and eventually ....hearing you, on Alfred's 2!

Edited by Emissary52 (08/12/10 05:06 PM)
Alfred 1 Graduate

#1494477 - 08/12/10 05:21 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: nancymae]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Quote:
I do both, look at the music and glance at my hands at different places

The reason I ask --- understanding this may not apply to you at all ---- is one of the bad habits I developed back when I did Alfred 1 was basically memorizing everything to the point that I'd stop really reading the music as I played. Oh, sometimes I was looking at it, but I wasn't really reading it any longer. I say a "bad habit" because in my case the easy memorization was a source of weakness under pressure. Some of it is simply that muscle memory, or finger memory, can fail under performance pressure. Getting back to the sheets, finding the right place and reading the notes correctly at that place is a lot to ask if you've not been doing it regularly. Also, by relying so much on memory I was becoming a weak reader,or I should say my reading was not keeping up with my technique, something that I am still working on to correct. Relying on memory got tougher and tougher as the difficulty of my pieces increased. Finally one day, as I struggled with a piece I had played for three weeks and knew well, my teacher interrupted me and said "I hate to see you struggle so hard to find the right note when it is right in front of you on the sheet music."

Of course we are all different and this may not be part of your problem at all.

Edited by JimF (08/12/10 05:23 PM)

Estonia L190 #7284

#1494491 - 08/12/10 05:37 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: JimF]
Emissary52 Offline

JimF - I think you bring up a valuable point with your observations about this. I've found that in my case, muscle memory accounted for about 70% of my learning. I thought with some of the earlier pieces in Book 1, I'd memorized them, but when I went to play them sans book, I could play most, but not all of the notes. I'd get to a certain measure and start ummmmm, ummmm, what was that note? As soon as the book was back, no problem! This seems to be a constant. To completely memorize the piece (like the Entertainer) was a lot more work! But, this situation works for me. Maybe it's a good thing in my case. I still have to "read the music" to get through without errors.
Alfred 1 Graduate

#1494524 - 08/12/10 06:06 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Emissary52]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

If it got hard with Alfred version Entertainer at 20 or so measures, think about something with 70-80 measures. Now think of three to ten times that amount.

I think part of the problem is adult learners want to go fast, to advance from the "kiddie" stuff as quickly as possible. Because they (we) are adults and quite adept at managing to find a way to get the job done come hell or high water, there is nothing to guarantee that music reading skills keep up with the learning of technique. Continuing down such a path just sets us up for hitting a wall at some point in the future.

All just my opinion, and it certainly does not apply to everyone.

Estonia L190 #7284

#1494593 - 08/12/10 07:19 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: JimF]
Emissary52 Offline

Jim - I certainly can't dispute any of your points. There is such a variety of people here at the forum with wildly differing goals and whether they attain them to the degree they desire, is a big, open question.

For example, I gave my old digital piano to an 18 y.o. across the street. He can play rings around me (for the material he knows), but by "ear" only. If I asked him to play anything from Alfred's Book 1 such as Blow the Man Down, he would be unable to do so. He could point out middle C, but not much more. I must admit to being fascinated by anyone who has musical ability without much in the way of theory. But I do realize that at some point, I'll leave him in the dust, since his ability to advance will be severely limited. (Yes, sometimes age and treachery can overcome youth and skill!)

That being said, there is a certain "Lindsey Lohan mentality" that pervades learning music. Those "Learn Piano in Two Weeks" type methods come to mind! But even among the more serious of us, I believe that most of us will reach a certain "comfort level" of an "idealized self" in our playing and not advance much beyond it. The reasons are many - time, money, raw talent and perhaps waning interest will be factors.

I love Scott Joplin, but I doubt if my playing will ever rival Joshua Rifkin's recordings. But I find a lot of fun in thinking that it might! Hope springs eternal as do my "delusions of grandeur"! As far as method books go, YMMV depending on what you put into them and the extras (life experience) that you can "bring" to them! I tend to supplement my learning so my "music reading" skills keep growing, even if my "raw talent" may be somwhat limited! thumb grin

Edited by Emissary52 (08/12/10 07:43 PM)
Alfred 1 Graduate

#1495040 - 08/13/10 08:34 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: JimF]
GracieCat Offline

Originally Posted By: JimF
...one of the bad habits I developed back when I did Alfred 1 was basically memorizing everything to the point that I'd stop really reading the music as I played. Oh, sometimes I was looking at it, but I wasn't really reading it any longer. I say a "bad habit" because in my case the easy memorization was a source of weakness under pressure. Some of it is simply that muscle memory, or finger memory, can fail under performance pressure. Getting back to the sheets, finding the right place and reading the notes correctly at that place is a lot to ask if you've not been doing it regularly. Also, by relying so much on memory I was becoming a weak reader,or I should say my reading was not keeping up with my technique, something that I am still working on to correct. Relying on memory got tougher and tougher as the difficulty of my pieces increased. Finally one day, as I struggled with a piece I had played for three weeks and knew well, my teacher interrupted me and said "I hate to see you struggle so hard to find the right note when it is right in front of you on the sheet music...

Jim, when playing through Alfred #1, it's hard NOT to have muscle memory. I think the answer is in playing a variety of pieces as we go through the book.

As far as glancing at our hands during jumps. I do that. BUT, I found if I practice the piece enough (Amazing Grace), my hands finally get to the point where they know how far to jump. Then again, that's muscle memory. BUT, I found myself (in pieces since then) seeing the bigger interval spans and jumps a little better as I go. It's all a learning process.

I generally play by interval and feel we have to glance at our hands as we learn the spacing on the keys themselves. (This would apply to playing 6ths, 7ths, & jumps. Even an octave spans takes some time to feel.)

I definitely don't want to have to memorize a piece to play it. My goal is to read music well, and my thought is that it would be better to play a larger number of supplemental pieces. (That was one of the reason's I quit lessons.) The teacher would have me practice a song for 3 weeks. By the time I finished it (in her eyes) I was sick of it and had it mostly memorized. In my eyes, generally I was finished it after week #1. I had learned the notes, rhythm, dynamics may not have been perfect, the pedal was spotty. The second two weeks were spent "perfecting" it. (It did take more than a week to smooth some of those songs out.)

There are times I have to make myself read the sheet music instead of reading my memory. If that makes any sense to anyone...

#1495057 - 08/13/10 09:06 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GracieCat]
nancymae Offline

Gracie--that does make sense, making yourself read the sheet music. I find myself doing just that too, and like you said, it is easy to do with these short pieces. I try to stop when I find myself trying to memorize the notes and go on to something else. I was doing that with Findlandia. Both hands had two fingers in play, so instead of reading the music and letting myself learn the fingering, I was looking at my hands, and trying to remember the music. Yes, that is a bad habit, and that is an excellent point Jim! I will be sure to concentrate more on the reading of it, instead of the memorizing of it!

Well..I'm going to dust off my recorder and just turn it on. I AM going to get over this performance anxiety crap!! I want to be able to play for my grandchildren and make little cd's for my Mom of the music I'm playing.

Thank you Doug for your congrats!! I feel like a little kid with a star on my first assignment!!

Thank you everyone!

Nancy
Alfred Favorites Book

#1495212 - 08/13/10 01:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: nancymae]
agentmorgan Offline

Congrats Nancy! Don't forget us little people! wink

Passed both Saints last night. Hope to pass through Harp Song next week.

#1495296 - 08/13/10 03:45 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: agentmorgan]
Emissary52 Offline

agentmorgan - We promise not to forget you! That's one of the best things about the Alfred's threads. There are a large number of people who have moved on and have been through all of the problems and pitfalls you will experience at some point. I'm sure many of us will check back to see how all the new people are coming along and will offer "advice and sympathy" whenever it's possible! I'm hoping for some of that myself as I move through Book 2. To paraphrase Ben Frankin ..."We should all hang together or else we will hang separately". grin
Alfred 1 Graduate

#1495304 - 08/13/10 04:01 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Emissary52]
Giano Offline

Memorising vs reading is something that interests me greatly as a beginner. I'm picking up Alfred's next week as I'm moving house at uni this weekend so I'm taking a break atm, and just looking at pieces far too advanced for me like "To Zanarkand" (although I do have the first 8 measures down, albeit pretty sloppily).

But I've been playing a few bits for the last 6 weeks and I think I can play every song I know but 1 from memory. I find the best way for me to learn a song is measure by measure. This means I have each measure down so well by the time I move onto the next part I don't need the sheet music anymore. I'm guessing this is a pretty bad habit to slip into but when I read the music my brain just can't keep up with my hands because it's already partly memorized, and my short term memory is pretty good so I remember the first few measures immediately after playing them for 20 mins for example (although I need much more work to get the piece up to speed). I guess I just have to work at it.

Edited by Giano (08/13/10 04:02 PM)

#1495458 - 08/13/10 07:46 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Giano]
GracieCat Offline

Giano, welcome! What part of the song do you think people remember the most when you play it? The end. That's what they hear last. Back when I took lessons, my teacher said she starts with the last measure of the song and works backwards. By the time she gets to the beginning of the song she has the end worked out.

That's really great........for someone who is advanced. LOL (I think she may forget what it's like to be a new student) I told her I couldn't do that because I wouldn't know what finger I was on as I came into each measure. That's the biggest problem I have on unmarked music. What fingering is best?

I'd suggest you find some music on your level to practice with. It's good to have a piece above you that you're working on at the same time. The music on my level I can play through, slowly, with both hands together from the get go. Yep, there are errors, and my tempo isn't steady as sometimes I have to stop and think, but I can still make it through to the end.

When I "memorize" a song, it not something I'm actually trying to do. It's just something that happens from practicing and playing it a lot.

The best advice is to play a song slowly from the get go. Don't speed up until you can play the whole song. If you have the first measures of a song memorized and up to speed, it's just going to be a train wreck as soon as you get to a problem area. Don't play the song any faster than the problem area. Play the problem area over and over and over until you can play it well. Once you've done that, you can speed up your tempo.

Page 136 of 195 < 1 2 ... 134 135 136 137 138 ... 194 195 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
81 registered (angga888, barbaram, AndrewJCW, AZNpiano, 19 invisible), 1241 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156080 Topics
2292017 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Another Improvisation
by Polyphonist
Today at 02:55 AM
4/4 measure in 3/4 time?
by caters
Today at 01:10 AM
Mac mini for software pianos?
by Mta88
Today at 01:10 AM
Installed an LX system on my Baldwin C
by SpectrumMan
Today at 12:04 AM
Join the false-beat revolution: get your wires straight!!!
by A443
Yesterday at 11:15 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission