Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 69 of 100 < 1 2 ... 67 68 69 70 71 ... 99 100 >
Topic Options
#1494337 - 08/12/10 02:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Doug F]
Emissary52 Offline

Loc: Monroe, NC USA
Hi Doug! I decided to follow you over here. I have a certain reluctance to leave Alfred 1 ... it felt like "home" for such a long time. But, we must go forward! I got tired of "Bridal March" last night (began to feel like the "stereotyped" old lady with the flower hat, who played it on every TV sitcom with a wedding scene. Not Good!) and started fooling around with Guantanamera.

I know Guantanamera from Pete Seeger and it seems more like a "guitar song" than a piano-based piece, so after playing a few measures, I've had to re-think my approach to it. I have this mental image in my mind .... a young Ricardo Montalban dancing behind my piano with say ...Rhonda Fleming, and he leans forward and whispers "Play it sauve" with the accent on the last syllable. grin

After attending the George Thorogood concert last night, I can hope you're also working on a piano transcription of the Willard Palmer-inspired version of "Bad To The Bone" We need that extra material! grin

Edited by Emissary52 (08/12/10 05:44 PM)
Alfred 1 Graduate

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1494440 - 08/12/10 04:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Emissary52]
Doug F Offline

Loc: Victor, NY
LOL, I always get a kick out of the visuals you manage to create for our pieces, Craig.

George put on a great show last night. The opening acts were The Fabulous Thunderbirds and Robert Cray so it was a Blues filled night. I came home and dug out my Jazz, Rock and Blues book to see if I wanted to work out of that for some supplemental stuff. Didn't see Bad To The Bone in it though.

I have a great memory, it's just short.

#1494636 - 08/12/10 08:06 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Doug F]
GracieCat Offline

Loc: USA
Yeah! Glad you guys are continuing on here. How long do you think it'll take us to get through book #2? I'm predicting a year.

I read somewhere Doug that you said your teacher said to skip the first two songs. I have to agree that they wasn't much to them.

I don't recognize Guantanamera at all. I'm almost finished with it...maybe next week I'll have it finished. I'm spending some time getting through the rest of my Bastien book #1. smile
-Anything composed by D. Nevue

#1495324 - 08/13/10 04:35 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: GracieCat]
Emissary52 Offline

Gracie - I'm with you on your assessment that Book 2 will take about a year. I'm concentrating on Guantanamera but I find the pedaling is slowing down any progress I'm making quite a bit. If I don't use the pedal, I can get through it about twice as fast, altho' the term "fast" is relative! Trees move faster than I'm playing it! Somehow it was much less of a problem to pedal semi-well for the Bridal Chorus than this! I figure at this point I better learn to pedal correctly, because if not now, when?

I've also noticed the effect of the "extended hand position" on some of my nearly polished Christmas music. Those C-G or D-A 1-5 and 5-1 combos are becoming B-G and C-A! I try not to look at my hands and just read off the page when I play. But from the G-D-G stretches in Guantanamera, it's starting to feel like my hands grew a bit! I'm sure this is a good thing in the long run, but now I have to play some older pieces with more care and forethought or I "overshoot" those 1-5 spreads! Willard and crew are "sneaky" in how they do this! Notice how in measure 1 you use the 1-5 for the C-A and then in measure 2 you use 1-4 for B-G? Stretch those tendons kiddies! It's a plot ... I tell you! grin grin
Alfred 1 Graduate

#1495376 - 08/13/10 05:54 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mark...]
joflah Online   content

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
Hello all,

"Deep River" on page 76 (of my edition) of Book II, measure 1, right hand, begins with a half-note tied to a quarter note. Why isn't it notated as a dotted half-note?
--
Jack

#1495404 - 08/13/10 06:38 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: joflah]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: Jack O'Flaherty
Hello all,

"Deep River" on page 76 (of my edition) of Book II, measure 1, right hand, begins with a half-note tied to a quarter note. Why isn't it notated as a dotted half-note?
--
Jack

I think it's because on the third beat the chord changes to aug C, with a G #. So even though the note in the right hand is shown as E only, it is possible to add another note there, and so I think they put the quarter note E as a place holder if you will.

#1498633 - 08/18/10 01:50 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: MiM]
GracieCat Offline

I'm now polishing Guantanamera and Theme from the Overture. I don't mind playing either piece. Having some trouble putting in the pedaling on Guantanamera.

I did finish book #1 of Bastien's that I was going through. I'm working on Oh Danny Boy as well. Not much else until the kids start back to school next week.

#1499794 - 08/20/10 10:02 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: GracieCat]
nancymae Offline

Loc: NE Wisconsin
HI Everyone (waving!)

Wanted to let everyone know that my teacher signed me off of my Book One on Wednesday! I actually did not freak out while playing, except in the last song. It's just so werid...I can be going along fine, and then I look down, and see something foreign...like I'm trying to play carrot sticks or something!! It's frustrating for sure!

But, I did play for my mother on the phone the other night..and made less mistakes. My mother said that my musician father always used to say not to worry about mistakes, the average listener thinks you are improvising!! Ha!

So, now I'm on the Bridal March and Thumba....??? which is a pretty song. I also have a song in the Favorites book, but I can't remember the title..it's by Beethoven...lots of right hand work.

Next time I go we will be in that Blues song that looks hard, so I think I will skip ahead, just to get the melody or bass down before class.

Not doing much practice this weekend...going down to Irish Fest in Milwaukee to dance a jig or two!!! (I play the tin whistle, so I'm hoping to meet up with some fellow tin whistlers!)

Have a great weekend everyone!

Nancy
Finished Alfred Book 1-August 2010
Started Book 2--August 11, 2010
Alfred Favorites Book

#1499847 - 08/20/10 11:30 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: nancymae]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
That's probably "Light and Blue". I found that one hard. It sounds really good if played well, but I never really got it to that point.

The Irish Fest sounds like fun.

I have a CD called Autumn in New England which is mostly piano, but there is some tin whistle in it and I love the way it sounds.

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1500156 - 08/20/10 09:54 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: mom3gram]
Mala Offline

oh Light and Blue is really quite simple - I am an adult learner - (very adult) and am now self teaching - and I could get it - just do the right hand first and then the left is just simple chord work - you will just need to get the tempo - short long - going. Its a favourite and i feel i am cheating my listeners - its just so easy - I dont want them to think i am playing anything complex!! AND it makes you feel good about your piano playing !!

#1500206 - 08/20/10 11:27 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mala]
GracieCat Offline

Hi Nancy, glad you're here now.

I started Light and Blue today. I did the 1st measure several times, then the next measure several time, etc. Some of it sounds like random notes and some of it sounds good. It'll take some time to work through.

#1500339 - 08/21/10 08:03 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mala]
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Mala
oh Light and Blue is really quite simple - I am an adult learner - (very adult) and am now self teaching - and I could get it - just do the right hand first and then the left is just simple chord work - you will just need to get the tempo - short long - going. Its a favourite and i feel i am cheating my listeners - its just so easy - I dont want them to think i am playing anything complex!! AND it makes you feel good about your piano playing !!

Well, I guess that's why I often feel like I don't really belong in Book 2 - I'm self teaching and I found Light and Blue to be difficult. In fact, I find most of the pieces in Book 2 to be difficult. I do manage to work through them eventually, but I'm always shocked when I hear how easy they were for some others. In the case of Light and Blue, it was a rhythm thing. I could play all the correct notes, but it sounded just like GracieCat said, like random notes. It took me forever to make it sound recognizeable. I think it helped to listen to John Frank's recording at the beginning of this t hread. I could "feel" the thyrhm in his recording and could try to emulate it.

Good luck with it, GracieCat. It's a great piece, and once you get it down you will really like it. I think you will be passing me by one of these days. LOL

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE

#1500688 - 08/21/10 10:53 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: mom3gram]
Mala Offline

I use the cd for the Alfred Series to guide me - since i self teach. Now i dont know if that is a good idea and if i should be able to play without having to listen to it first (hoping an input from a teacher here smile ) - I am working on bk 3 ( i skipped parts of bk 2 - thats the advantage of not having a teacher who will make you do what you cant! and dont want to!) and now i just listen to the cd and pick a piece that sounds inviting to me. Before i had the cd - the sight of the page with all the squiggles was totally daunting - but now it kind of makes sense. I am not yet in the neighbourhood of being able to feel the music by just looking at the sheet. So i hope i am doing the right thing.

#1500713 - 08/21/10 11:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mala]
GretchensPianos Offline

Loc: MA
Hi Mala! Sure, why not? Listening is important. I would also suggest that you have one piece ~ can be easy ~ that you learn on your own, w/o listening to it first. You could play the melody, sing it, whistle it, conduct it, walk around the room and hum it... just have fun. If you mix it up, each method will help the others. Good luck! Gretchen

Edited by GretchensPianos (08/21/10 11:45 PM)
http://gretchenspianos.wordpress.com ~ website, blog.
http://wp.me/PE5t8-24O ~ E-book: "Goal-oriented Practice: How to Avoid Traps and Become a Confident Performer"
about making steady progress!

#1502510 - 08/24/10 05:56 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: GretchensPianos]
GracieCat Offline

Mala, can you read the music or are you dependent on playing it how you hear it played first?

#1502772 - 08/25/10 01:38 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: GracieCat]
Mala Offline

hi
I read music and do pretty good there - thats the first aspect i worked at - just that once i have heard the melody - i can then get a sense of the mood -at the moment i am struggling to get Pachebel's Canon in D right - I have the notes and know them mostly - am running through fine - but i just dont get the sounds i hear on the recordings and ofcourse I am also working on Alfred's - I think the problem with me is that there is so much I want to accomplish - i just go from one thing to another and in the process i think i waste time - Should i stick with one kind of music - should i first concentrate with just going through Alfred's?

I feel at this point that a lesson with a teacher twice am month or even once (if the teacher knows the path i should take) is what i need. Havent found the teacher that i want to be with!

#1503118 - 08/25/10 04:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Mala]
Emissary52 Offline

Hi Everyone! - From a lot of the comments above, it seems to me that many of us develop a condition I'll call "the Alfred's Book 2 Sophmore Slump". I have to include myself in this group. I'm finding that my musical interests have widened since finishing Alfred's Book 1 and I can quickly lose focus on the material in Alfred's 2.

For example, in book 2 I'm currently working on "Guantanamera" and my progress is such, that the world's glaciers will have melted before I can play this piece at tempo. I just can't seem to muster much enthusiasm for this. I don't feel the same way about the "Overture from Raymond" though. That piece I really like and I find myself playing it just to get away from Guantanamera. It seems that for pieces I like, I'm willing to devote a lot more time and effort to and try to minimize contact with the ones I don't. I'm getting to the "picky-picky-picky" stage in what I want to play.

In the interim, since my last post, I received my books from sheetmusicplus.com.
These are:

Masterwork Classics 1-2
Masterwork Classics 3
Titanic (Easy Piano)
Jurrasic Park (Easy Piano)

The Masterwork Classic books come with a CD that features just a piano (yeah) where you can hear the dynamics (pp to ff) very clearly. The Book (1,2) recommends starting it after page 8 in Alfred's Book 2. She (the author)mentions that these books are not as closely tied to Alfred's as the Greatest Hits and All-time Favorites books are, but I suspect you could substitute one of these classical pieces for an Alfred's 2 selection. The "usual suspect" composers who wrote pieces for people like us are the type you find here (Bartok, Czerny, Turk). For people who like their music a little more to the classical side, this series seems like a suitable alternative or supplement! I'm going to continue in Part 2!

Edited by Emissary52 (08/25/10 05:44 PM)
Edit Reason: gr
Alfred 1 Graduate

#1503137 - 08/25/10 05:39 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Emissary52]
Emissary52 Offline

Part 2 - I just had the feeling that if I had made that last post any longer, I'd go to another page to retrieve a link and lose it! eek

I think that for many of us, having "supplements" for Alfred's 2 will keep us going a lot longer. Just playing a few pieces from it, over and over again, gets "old" fast. If Alfred's starts to feel like "eat that cauliflower - it's good for you", it's time for dessert ...or at least bribe yourself, so you can get through the less attractive material!

For me, I spent about 4 hours yesterday with the dessert. Playing "Welcome to Jurassic Park" made the afternoon disappear. I bought the Easy Piano version (there is a similar book for Intermediate Players). The easy version sounds almost just like the Intermediate Version (a big plus!) - the left hand part is less complex in the easy version.

Here's the Intermediate version played by a talented young man who also composes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96KHBFDdEiA

I wish I had hands and fingers the same size as him! The easy version has some fingering numbers and it was relatively easy to figure out some of the unmarked notes. That was always a big concern to me. Some easy books don't give any and at this point, I'm not smart enough to figure out the complete fingerings for many of them. So this was a big plus to get through about 15 measures of it and have it sound really good!

So, my future plans include playing the supplemental pieces I really like, to increase my ability to play the Alfred pieces I'm not enamored with. I guess we all have to come up with whatever methods necessary to keep us on track! grin

What are you doing to alleviate any Alfred's 2 boredom?

Edited by Emissary52 (08/25/10 05:46 PM)
Edit Reason: sp punct
Alfred 1 Graduate

#1503246 - 08/25/10 09:09 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Emissary52]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Emissary52
What are you doing to alleviate any Alfred's 2 boredom?

I stopped somewhere in the last one third of the book, and picked up a book on learning to play using a fakebook, and it's been a wonderful experience. I take free sheet music from the web and play stuff I like.

#1503258 - 08/25/10 09:43 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: MiM]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Hey ya'll!

I actually started tinkering around with book two a month or so ago. Unfortunately, I am feeling the Light and Blue blues and haven't really felt motivated to go much further. I am happy it's not just me smile
I bought the book, though, so I will get through it.. someday. Thanks for pointing out about the link to it at the beginning of the thread, mom3gram - I will be sure to listen to it to see if I am even close.

#1503422 - 08/26/10 06:27 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: AimeeO]
Doug F Offline

I haven't posted anything in a while so here's my update.

We had a death in the family a week and a half ago so as you can imagine my practice time was messed up. I was able to get in at least an hour most days but it was broken up and my mind was not with it all the time. I don't think I made as much progress as I would have normally but I did accomplish some things so it wasn't a total loss.

I had a lesson yesterday and I asked my teacher why I can play some songs well after only a week or two and yet I continue to struggle with others after 3-4 weeks. Memory and The Entertainer are good examples. The Entertainer looked very challenging when I started it but I had it under control after a few days. I can now play it completely from memory and it sounds pretty good. Memory on the other hand seemed very easy when I started it (Greatest Hits 1) but after 4+ weeks it continues to give me trouble. I can't play it from memory (no pun intended) and one section in particular gives me trouble. On easier sections I make stupid mistakes. I like the piece a lot but I am now starting to tire of it. This happens frequently. He didn't really have a good answer for me other than to say that some arrangements don't really work well and some note sequences are more difficult than others. He said everybody experiences it at one time or another and it will pass. He also suggested I keep playing it slowly and play hands separately while calling out the note names.

In book 2, Guantanamera is coming along pretty good and we started Overture. That's a familiar tune and after playing it through a few times last night shouldn't give me any problems. It's almost as far along as Guantanamera!

I am also working on the Bb scale and have it down hands separate and hands together, one octave. When I try 2 or more octaves hands together I can go up the scale with no problems but I get messed up going back down so I have to continue to work on that. Is anyone else doing scales hands together in more than one octave? It seems like this doesn't get talked about very much at this level and I often wonder when this is normally introduced.

#1503482 - 08/26/10 09:00 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Emissary52]
Doug F Offline

Quote:
Here's the Intermediate version played by a talented young man who also composes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96KHBFDdEiA

Craig, I watched the video and out of curiosity followed the link to his website. He has a great site with a large number of instructional videos. Well worth checking out. I have added it to my favorites and will spend a bunch of time watching them. He has some good suggestions for practice methods, scale fingerings, and much, much more. Thanks for leading me to that.

Here's the link in case anyone else is interested.

http://oziecargile.com/

Take a look at the Learning Piano choice on his menu bar.

#1503562 - 08/26/10 11:06 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Doug F]
nancymae Offline

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Hi Everyone!!

Welcome Doug to the Level One Graduate side! Feels like old home week here now.

I didn't have a lesson this week so I'm still working on Thumbalaika as well as a couple from the All Time Favorite's book--Bridal March and Sonata Pathetique--which I find to be very beautiful. One thing nice about classical music...even when you play it slow...it's still just as beautiful!

I am also working on Annie's Song and Memory in the Greatest Hits book and beginning Light and Blue - want a head start for next week when my teacher assigns it to me!

I've also started to use a metronome when I'm doing my scales...which helps me, not only keep a steady beat, but I get accustomed to listening to the blasted thing!!

I don't think I have a Sophmore slump, but I haven't been putting in my hours due to my recent trip to Milwaukee..and when we got back home, my husband's uncle died on Monday, so we are making plans to go to the funeral tomorrow--so it doesn't seem right to play my usual 1- 1.5 hours a night right now..and I miss it terribly. We will be back on Sat night, so I plan on doing at least 2 hours on Sunday. Now that the summer crowd is gone, I can have a half hour practice during my lunch (I live and work at the same place).

Doug--with your silly mistakes--I think we all do that..but I can only speak for myself. I kept going back to the same thing..and then when I got one part mastered, I make stupid mistakes on an easier part. That's when it's time to go to another song!! Come back to Memory when you have your good practice days. I have noticed that I definitely have good and bad days. Have no idea why. But, if you are like me and have your good days..that's when you should go back to Memory and tackle it! You may be surprised that you can play it perfectly!

Anyway..signing off probably till next week. Take care,

Nancy
Finished Alfred Book 1-August 2010
Started Book 2--August 11, 2010
Alfred Favorites Book

#1503567 - 08/26/10 11:11 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Doug F]
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Doug F
Craig, I watched the video and out of curiosity followed the link to his website. He has a great site with a large number of instructional videos. Well worth checking out.

I agree... he plays very well too. In my opinion, though, his fingers are a bit stiff and his hands tense.

#1503578 - 08/26/10 11:27 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: nancymae]
Doug F Offline

Quote:
But, if you are like me and have your good days..that's when you should go back to Memory and tackle it! You may be surprised that you can play it perfectly!

You're quite right about that. There are days that I do much better on pieces that give me trouble.

I forgot to mention what happened at my lesson yesterday. I was playing Memory for him and got to the spot that gives me trouble regularly. As usual I couldn't get through it cleanly and told him that it was coming together at home but I just couldn't play it for him. Just then his phone rang and he said he had to take the call and stepped out of the room. I started the piece over again and wouldn't you know it, I played it through perfectly. I told him he would have to listen to me from outside the room from now on. He laughed and came back in and sat down anyway.

#1503586 - 08/26/10 11:35 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: nancymae]
GracieCat Offline

Doug, sorry for your family's loss. Glad to have you back.

I had a couple of supplementary songs that I practiced for 4-8 weeks and I could play them, but I kept making stupid mistakes...random. Finally I just put the songs away and moved on. I think the mistakes were happening because I was tired of the songs and no longer concentrated enough to play as written. Another reason was because I had most of the song memorized (from so much practice) that I played the song quickly, then when I came to parts I didn't have exactly memorized I messed up.

Honestly, I'd put those songs to rest and move on. There's no shortage of sheet music out there. I think mom3gram is a major stock holder in a few music book companies. smile

Scales? What's that? I have no desire to do more than 2 octaves hands separate. I tried putting my hands together just the other day (1 octave) for the first time and I didn't do too bad. That's about all I can stand. I probably won't do much more than that until I get to the point where I see WHY practicing scales is important.

I go as far as practicing hands separate (2 octaves) because it helps me "see" the sharps/flats in a particular scales. Makes it easier to "feel" them in the music if you know what I mean.

I'm almost finished with Light & Blue. I like it and hope to record it. It wasn't so bad after I got the hang of playing the eighth notes unevenly.

I'd like to record Overture and Guantanamera as well. I still haven't polished either song and recording them would force me to finish them completely. We'll see...

Have been considering piano lessons for my 7 year old...

#1503713 - 08/26/10 04:03 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: Doug F]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
Quote:
Is anyone else doing scales hands together in more than one octave? It seems like this doesn't get talked about very much at this level and I often wonder when this is normally introduced

Hi Doug. When I started with my teacher back in January I was also in the early part of Book 2 Alfred, so about where you are. She has assigned scale work every week. Back then, the typical routine was one new scale assigned each week. Play one week hands separate two octaves if necessary, then one week hands together two octaves, then a week hands together four octaves. Meanwhile you are starting a new scale every week, so there's always something you're working on at each level (apart, together 2va., together 4va.) Somewhere along the way we also started going for speed once we get it to four octaves - using the metronome to incrementally inch up the velocity. More recently we've started doing triplets and sixteenths for each metronome beat.

Hi Gracie,
One of the benefits from doing scales hands together multiple octaves is developing hand independence. Doing them over four octaves gets you working all the way up and down the keyboard, experiencing all of the different angles involved.

Edited by JimF (08/26/10 04:09 PM)

Estonia L190 #7284

#1504307 - 08/27/10 01:22 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: JimF]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Doug - I'm also doing scales in two octaves, hands together. We do up, down, and contrary. There are good days and bad days. When I start messing them up, I do one hand at a time a few times and look away from the keyboard and concentrate on something else. Then I play them at the same time, also while concentrating on something else. This usually gets me back on track. I think my muscle memory has it down, but my brain likes to interfere.

Gracie - I think another benefit to practicing scales is that it's supposed to help you with pieces written in that key. If I'm having trouble with a piece in the key of A, for example, my teacher will suggest that when I practice running through the A scale a few times prior to practicing the piece.

#1504318 - 08/27/10 01:40 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: AimeeO]
GracieCat Offline

Here's my not so perfect recording of the Overture piece. I didn't do any repeats. It's boring to repeat sections. LOL I think the hard part is doing staccato in the left while playing legato in the right on only a few notes....while your hands are on top of each other.

Overture

#1504341 - 08/27/10 02:40 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and All in One Adult Piano Course Book #2 [Re: GracieCat]
Doug F Offline

GracieCat, nice job on Overture.

JimF, AimeeO, Nancy, etc.. I'm glad to hear that everyone else is suffering along with me on scales. Definitely not my favorite part of practicing but I can understand the importance of doing them and the sooner they get familiar and easier to do the better so I will try your suggestions and keep at them.

Page 69 of 100 < 1 2 ... 67 68 69 70 71 ... 99 100 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
156 registered (Alex-SapRenovation, accordeur, ajames, 46 invisible), 1735 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75515 Members
42 Forums
156153 Topics
2293208 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommend me a setup for jamming at home
by Gretel
16 seconds ago
Can You, Will You Help?
by Piano World
39 minutes 23 seconds ago
Embedded ads?
by Peyton
Today at 09:33 AM
Who's inspiring you right now?
by Arizona Sage
Today at 08:58 AM
Best way to dispose of an old piano?
by fizikisto
Today at 08:33 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission