2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, crab89, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 102 of 190 1 2 100 101 102 103 104 189 190
B
B
Hello

I'm so excited because I'm finally starting to learn 'night song'. I remember hearing this song on youtube when I first starting learning piano a year and a half ago. I've been anxious to learn it ever since then, but I didn't want to skip ahead to it.

Anyway, my question is, does anyone know who the composer of this song is. It doesn't say in the book. I'm assuming this is a simplified version of the real version, and I just wanted to take a look at it.

Thanks
Bobby

J
J
Sorry. I don't know the author, but this is still one of my favorites to refresh as a warm up. I felt that this was among the first "real" music I was starting to play. Enjoy.

Baldwin M
Casio PX-330
Casio AP-45
As far as I know, songs such as this one that appear in Alfred books without being credited to a composer were written specifically for the Alfred series (the exception being anonymously written folk songs and the like). "Night Song" was probably written for the express purpose of providing practice with first inversion chords. I'd say that Willard Palmer is the likely composer. Still, I think it's a charming piece, and even if it was written for a method book, it still seems like "real" music to me!

B
B
Thanks for the responses.

You're right molto.
I called Alfred Music Publishing and was told the same thing. He said he's not 100% sure, but it's very likely that Willard Palmer is the composer.

Here's a link about him if anyone is interested.
http://www.bach-cantatas.com/Lib/Palmer-Willard.htm

The song is coming along nicely so far.

Thanks
Bobby

M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Thanks for the link to Palmer...I often wanted to know who he was.

Well, I started book #2 last night. I still have to polish Entertainer from book #1, but everything else is finished.

As I start this 2nd book, I'm going to "try" to restart learning some scales. I found them boring before, but hopefully I can get back into practicing them.

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
-Anything composed by D. Nevue
M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
good luck Gracie. Here is a good booklet on scales

http://www.pianoped.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/Scale_Fingerings.pdf

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I haven't posted in here in a couple of weeks, as I got sidetracked entertaining grandchildren and various other summer activities. Just wanted to report a tiny smidgen of progress on "La Bamba". I can now plod through the first seven measures, LOL. Not musical at all, but recognizeable. That's progress, since when I first picked it up it was totally incomprehendable to me. However, I just listened to Undone's rendition at the beginning of this thread. I recommend checking it out - it's awesome! Maybe in another three years I can come close to playing it like this.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well, I've put aside "Solace". I can't say that it's polished yet, but I think it's as good as it's going to get right now, and I'm so tired of it. I will pick it up again some day.

So "La Bamba" is the only piece I'm currently working on from Book 2. I'm also working on several pieces from the "Greatest Hits" and "Pop Songbook", some of which are easy and some of which are challenging me a bit. I'm also working a bit with my Faber Adult book which I have ignored for several months. It has some nice pieces in it.

And soon it will be time for Christmas music again.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
M
MiM Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I spent some time with La Bamba, then decided to ignore it and went on to do many pieces past it in a very short time...also heard others say the same thing about it not worth the time if it doesn't click immediately.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I found La Bamba difficult - didn't make any musical sense to me at first because I had such a hard time getting the rhythm right. My teacher even suggested I might want to forget it if I really hated it. But I persevered, & I think I learned a lot about rhythm from it. I hope to play jazz eventually, & I thought if I couldn't figure out something relatively simple like La Bamba, I was doomed.

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I actually like the music - I had the Ritchie Valens record when I was a teenager. (Yes, I'm that old). But, the piece is over my head. Yes, the pieces in the AIO Book 2 are starting to be mostly over my head. I'm definitely not a prodigy. So I have to take them apart bit by bit and learn them slowly - kind of like someone with much more talent than I have would learn Chopin. LOL But I do want to learn it, although if it frustrates me too much I might skip over it and come back another time. In the meantime, I have supplemental books and the Faber Adult book where I can find things to learn that are a little easier. And I've been listening to Undone's playing of the piece at the beginning of this thread, just to remind myself of what it's supposed to sound like.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I remember the Ritchie Valens version too (& I remember being devastated when that plane went down!)
Wish I'd known the Undone clip was there when I was learning it! I had a few versions out of the library, but they were mariachi stuff & no help at all. & I still don't play it as fast as Undone. When I was learning it, on the advice of my teacher, I set the metronome @ 72 & then played it @ half that (counted eighths as quarters) for a week or two till I figured out how the RH/LH worked together, then started speeding it up. There wasn't much hands-separate, except for short little patterns & phrases, because individually each hand sounded mostly like nothing. Now, the rhythm seems perfectly obvious to me - just one little phrase that I sometimes hit a wrong note in - & I enjoy the interplay btw RH & LH.

Keep at it - it'll all come together eventually.

I find some of the tunes in Alfred 2 book really, really difficult, but then I'll hit one that seems really quite easy. So I guess it's just some kind of personal resonance. For example, someone a couple of weeks ago said asked if Sakura made sense to anyone, but Sakura's one that I found dead easy - I'm working on that section right now, & when I get frustrated with Waves of the Danube or something, I play Sakura to reassure myself I'm not hopeless.

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
I need to find some supplemental music I enjoy. The stuff I have is getting old.

As far as book #2, I've finished Down in the Vally and am working on Bridal Chorus. I've looked ahead in the book and the songs don't look thrilling, but I'm going to keep at it. It's the best way I can think of to learn. Can't wait until I finish book #3! Ok, that's a longgggg way off. smile

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
-Anything composed by D. Nevue
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi, GracieCat, welcome to book 2. Down in the Valley was an easy one, and Bridal Chorus isn't bad either. I think Guantanamera comes next, and I struggled a bit with that one. Actually, most of them are a bit of a struggle to me right now, but it's fun working through them.

Carol, you are right. There wasn't much point in trying La Bamba hands separate. It works for some pieces, but not this one. I'm not ready to put it to the metronome yet. The metronome confuses me unless I pretty much can play the piece through without mistakes, and then I just use it for a while to make sure the timing is right. Right now it's moving my hands to the right places that I'm having trouble with. LOL

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
D
D
Hey everyone, I just got back from my lesson and I have "officially" started Book 2 so here I am!

I still have to polish up a couple things on The Entertainer (smoothness) and Amazing Grace (timing in one measure) but my teacher assigned me Guantanamera (gulp). He said we would skip over the first two because he said they are too basic for where I am at skill-wise but I am going to do them on my own anyway just for the practice.

It's nice to join familiar fellow Alfred devotees and continue on my journey. Now that the numbers of us moving up are increasing maybe we can keep this thread on the first page?

No practice tonight, the wife and I are off to see George Thorogood in concert.

Doug

I have a great memory, it's just short.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
O
O
Hi everyone, I worked on Book 1 and some of Book 2 a few years ago, and now back to take another stab at it.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Welcome, Doug and OuttaControl!

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
wj3 Offline
Welcome Doug and OuttaControl. Its nice to have some new guys to share the journey.

wj3

2010 Roland KR-115m, Yamaha clp-430
Working on Alfred Adult AIO 3 Super Special sorta song,Simply Joplin Bethena,Solace,Burgmuller
[Linked Image]
D
D
Thanks mom3gram and wj3. I'll be starting on Guantanamera tonight. Have any tips?

Doug

I have a great memory, it's just short.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 102 of 190 1 2 100 101 102 103 104 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission