Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1235975 - 07/23/09 02:05 PM Kawai CP205 vs. CP207D, and prices
supra92 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Have been on a piano search for a couple of years now, and despite being classically trained for 12 years as a young child on an 1890's Steinway 52" upright, I'm fairly certain I'd like a digital grand piano. Aesthetics is a large part of it, but I also have a high-pitch hearing loss that has robbed me of the upper keys of a standard 88-key keyboard. A digital grand would allow me to transpose sounds so that I could practice and hear everything I'm playing in the upper reaches.

Can someone explain what exactly the difference is between the older Kawai CP205 and their newer CP207D? The specifications on Kawai's site seem very similar: both are 5'3, 430 lbs, have a 200W, 9-speaker sound system, a large LCD display, 16-track recorder, and CD-RW drive. The CP207D has a few more "styles", but nothing earth-shattering.

The only real difference I can ascertain is 128-polyphyony for the CP205, vs. 192-polyphony for the CP207D. I recognise that a single keypress results in more than just one 'note' -- meaning, playing a chord of 3 keys might utilise 12-15 of those "polyphony channels", if that's the appropriate terminology. So I can see how a 64-polyphony would be highly preferable to a 32-poly, and perhaps even a 128- over a 64-. But is a 192-poly really going to make that much more of a difference over 128- ? And if so, why?

As for prices -- I am able to get the CP205 for $6800, and the CP207D for $8000. Are these reasonable prices considering both are "used-but-like-new" condition being sold by dealer with warranty? At those prices, is it realistic/advisable to try to talk them down further? And would people here say that the CP207D is worth the extra $1200?

Any insight on this would be fantastic and greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Supra92

Edited by supra92 (07/23/09 02:09 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
Special Financing on Digital Keyboards

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#1236269 - 07/23/09 10:59 PM Re: Kawai CP205 vs. CP207D, and prices [Re: supra92]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
Supra92 - I am also looking at the Kawai CP 207D. In addition to the differences you noted I believe the 207D allows playback from a DVD whereas the 205 can only handle a CD.

I have not been able to find a CP 205 or CP 207D used locally (I'm in the Washington D.C. area) but the prices you quoted look very attractive. The "street price" for new CP 207D seems to be around $11k here - I would jump at the chance to get a "used but like new" with warranty CP 207D for $8k, however, I would have to see it and play it before buying.
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes

#1237344 - 07/25/09 08:34 PM Re: Kawai CP205 vs. CP207D, and prices [Re: BillM]
supra92 Offline

Bill -- you are correct, the CP207D does do DVD playback. It's not entirely clear to me what that benefit would be if it can't record to it. Perhaps playing existing DVDs of music instruction on an attached screen...

Your point about finding one locally is part of the problem -- the one for $8000 is a fairly long drive away, many hours each direction. They will ship the piano here if I buy it, but I really hesitate to purchase it sight/sound-unseen. From everything I've read, however, the CP207D is a wonderful instrument with fantastic sound. I really prefer the "full grand cabinet" of the Kawais (along with the uber-expensive Yamaha CGP1000, and the obscenely-expensive Rolands) over the "mini/faux" grand cabinets of some of the Suzukis or the Yamaha CVP309GP.

I could've sworn at least a few people on these forums had the CP205 or CP207D -- let's hope a few of them reply with thoughts/descriptions of their own instruments.

Supra92

Edited by supra92 (07/25/09 08:35 PM)

#1237377 - 07/25/09 09:19 PM Re: Kawai CP205 vs. CP207D, and prices [Re: supra92]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

supra92- I have played two different CP 207Ds at 2 different dealers and thought the sound and touch were terrific. Unfortunately they were both a little more than I wanted to spend. I also have played several Yamaha CVP 309GPs and also loved the touch and sound but couldn't get passed the ugly cabinet. The Roland digital grands were the best looking of the bunch in my opinion but way over priced.

I will probably bite the bullet and end up getting a new CP 207D unless a quality used one turns up locally in the next week or two. I really love the sound, touch and features of this piano.

Like you, I wouldn't consider buying a used one without seeing/playing it, however, with a new one with warranty I don't see it as an issue.

#1240744 - 07/31/09 02:20 AM Re: Kawai CP205 vs. CP207D, and prices [Re: BillM]
supra92 Offline

Makes you wonder about this one:

http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/1283471685.html

Note that while that's an Austin, TX Craigslist link, that piano is being posted in pretty much every major city's CL. Have not inquired as to whether it's legit or not, but the $8900 price tag is certainly less than most dealers.

I checked for a Kawai dealer here in Austin, and apparently the only place that carries them is the local Steinway Gallery. Ha. Just what I need, is to walk in amongst amazing $50k+ Steinway grands.

I really need to hear the CP207D in person though, as I never have before. Very interested to hear where your CP207D search takes you -- sounds like you are a bit more prepared to shell out the requisite moolah for it at this point than I am, and thus are more on the verge of acquisition. Economy being what it is today, I will probably play the CP207D in person if possible, and if I truly love it then spring for the CP205. The two pianos really should be pretty darn similar, save for the 128v192 poly, and the DVD player. The CP205 is $6800, and I'm really hoping to get that dealer down to $6000 -- which I think is a solid deal on that particular model.

Definitely keep me (and everyone) posted on your CP207D, I think it's just an amazingly beautiful instrument (and agreed, the CVP309 cabinet is just... ouch).

#1240800 - 07/31/09 08:00 AM Re: Kawai CP205 vs. CP207D, and prices [Re: supra92]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

supra92- That ad was also posted on the D.C. Craigslist. I replied to the ad asking where and when I could play the piano and got an e-mail back saying the piano was "out of state" and advising me to try one locally and then get back to them. Of course I did not.

I did, however find a used Roland KR-17M locally (click here to see - you can enlarge the picture by double clicking on the piano) in near perfect condition that I really liked. I found the sound and touch of the Rolands to be on par with the Kawai CP 207d but slightly preferred the look of the Roland (they are both 5'3" but the Roland is about 80 pounds heavier). Anyway, I gave the owner a check yesterday and the piano is to be delivered on Monday.

#1240832 - 07/31/09 09:37 AM Re: Kawai CP205 vs. CP207D, and prices [Re: BillM]
Beacon Chris Offline

Loc: Greenwich, CT
Those are great pianos and great prices. You can't go wrong with either.

BC

Member of the Faust Harrison Pianos sales team.

#1241601 - 08/01/09 02:25 PM Re: Kawai CP205 vs. CP207D, and prices [Re: Beacon Chris]
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Both are great products and the prices seem fair. I personally would be concerned with buying a very expensive and complicated piece of electronic equipment without the protection of the manufacturer/distributor warranty. A dealer warranty is only as good as long as they are in retail business and only as good as far as they are willing to cooperation and deliver on promised service should there be a problem.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
105 registered (Abby Pianoman, 36251, AndrewJCW, accordeur, 33 invisible), 1442 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75553 Members
42 Forums
156221 Topics
2294303 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
BALDWIN R vs. STEINWAY M
by Karl Watson
9 minutes 52 seconds ago
Best Digital Piano for Touch
by JoeCPiano
Today at 04:50 AM
Happy Birthday Cinnamonbear!
by Kuanpiano
Yesterday at 11:17 PM
Finger "Tapes": Purpose?
by CleverName
Yesterday at 10:56 PM
Accessories needed for grand pianos.
by Stevio55
Yesterday at 08:31 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission