Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1236536 - 07/24/09 01:00 PM Article in the Los Angeles Times/Reader's Digest
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minnesota
This was in the Reader's Digest, Aug issue.

"According to the Los Angeles Times, sales of acoustic upright and grand pianos declined almost 50 percent from 2000-2007. Electric keyboards are taking their place."

There was no reason given for the decline. That's a big number.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1236636 - 07/24/09 03:35 PM Re: Article in the Los Angeles Times/Reader's Digest [Re: Ebony and Ivory]
pd1500 Offline

That article draws from this one:

The piano's status in US living rooms is declining

and has been discussed at least twice in the Piano Forum.

Shouldn't come as a shock. Used to be if you wanted to play a keyboard but weren't very serious about it you bought a spinet piano. Now they don't make those anymore because they're not price competitive with digitals. And if you throw in cheap keyboards to the market (which I think are more analogous to the also-departed spinet organ than to the piano, pedals notwithstanding) you actually could say the market is growing a bit.

#1236652 - 07/24/09 03:51 PM Re: Article in the Los Angeles Times/Reader's Digest [Re: pd1500]
J Cortese Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Keyboards are also friendlier to apartment living -- portable, lighter, and they have headphones. I love wooden furniture, but that's why I'm looking into a clav. I like something that's friendlier to an urban, apartment lifestyle, and a proper upright isn't. A grand is completely unrealistic for me; you need a HOUSE for one of those, and a serious one with serious flooring. Apartments won't even let you consider one.

#1236869 - 07/24/09 09:47 PM Re: Article in the Los Angeles Times/Reader's Digest [Re: J Cortese]
Roxy Offline

Loc: Whittier, Calif
If anyone has gone shopping even just for fun looking at the newer homes built, they are not built for a grand piano. You are lucky if you have room for a console or upright. It is really surprising what is out there. Of course if you have several million to spend on the new home you needn't worry. But how many of us have that kind of pocket change?

#1237003 - 07/25/09 07:46 AM Re: Article in the Los Angeles Times/Reader's Digest [Re: Roxy]
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Roxy, I have noticed that around here too. The houses look all fancy-dancy on the outside, then when you walk in it's like "where is all the room?". They look so big outside, but they're tiny inside!

#1237279 - 07/25/09 06:34 PM Re: Article in the Los Angeles Times/Reader's Digest [Re: Ebony and Ivory]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

My piano teacher told me she grew up living in a trailer and they had a grand piano. So you don't have to have a grand house to go with the piano!

#1237288 - 07/25/09 06:55 PM Re: Article in the Los Angeles Times/Reader's Digest [Re: Overexposed]
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Ann in Kentucky
My piano teacher told me she grew up living in a trailer and they had a grand piano. So you don't have to have a grand house to go with the piano!

Seriously?! I would wonder about the floor lol
You're right about that though, it's all about priorities!

Edited by Ebony and Ivory (07/25/09 07:04 PM)

#1237306 - 07/25/09 07:21 PM Re: Article in the Los Angeles Times/Reader's Digest [Re: Ebony and Ivory]
Gary D. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: South Florida
I'm wondering about hurricanes and tornados!

#1238232 - 07/27/09 02:22 PM Re: Article in the Los Angeles Times/Reader's Digest [Re: Gary D.]
MsAdrienne Offline

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
For a year and a half or two, we lived in a 14'-wide (or "single-wide") mobile home while my dad was in graduate school. It was a tight fit, but we managed. The piano was (is) my mom's first "baby" so it moved with us. It's a 5'9" or so Kawai, which they still have, though now it has it's own room, in a real house.

It was tricky getting that piano up the little steps into the mobile home. My dad and two uncles moved it. I remember this clearly, despite being only in 2nd grade at the time, ha-ha. Dad built a nice little deck with a proper set of steps after we moved in. smile

I tell my students they can fit a real piano into their home... it is a matter of priorities. We just knew that the piano came before the TV when it was practice time, or when Mom was teaching.
http://www.facebook.com/pianolex

#1238243 - 07/27/09 02:34 PM Re: Article in the Los Angeles Times/Reader's Dige [Re: Gary D.]
MsAdrienne Offline

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Gary D.
I'm wondering about hurricanes and tornados!

LOL, not too many hurricanes in Morgantown, WV! smile Tornadoes... well, I don't remember any! But we lived on a hill and when it snowed those roads were scary. Had to walk up the hill and then all the way down the other side to get to the bus stop. You could just about sit down and slide all the way. Here in Lexington they would have just canceled school.
http://www.facebook.com/pianolex

#1238378 - 07/27/09 06:16 PM Re: Article in the Los Angeles Times/Reader's Digest [Re: Ebony and Ivory]
Little_Blue_Engine Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ohio, US
Originally Posted By: Ebony and Ivory
Roxy, I have noticed that around here too. The houses look all fancy-dancy on the outside, then when you walk in it's like "where is all the room?". They look so big outside, but they're tiny inside!

They also look all fancy on the outside only when viewed from the front. The backs and sides are usually nothing more than a big vinyl box with some random holes punched through it. No pattern or proportion at all. I like architecture and this is a majot pet peeve of mine and one of the reasons I live in an old house.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha U3
by RGibson
09/16/14 06:58 AM
VPC1 Order Cancelled
by EmptySpace
09/16/14 06:16 AM
Baroque Pitch - The Well-Tempered Clavier
by Badinage
09/16/14 02:25 AM
Need Leutke Leipzig info
by Gardenergirl
09/16/14 12:26 AM
Best digital approximation
by TEHunter1
09/15/14 11:49 PM
Who's Online
81 registered (barbaram, Al LaPorte, anotherscott, Badinage, AZ_Astro, 26 invisible), 992 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76209 Members
42 Forums
157556 Topics
2314229 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission