2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,953 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
V
V
Argggg... Unfair!
I will suffer from HAS again.

RE: CASIO 2009-2010 DP models

Casio has released their DP models. They can be viewed on their website: casio-intl.com/emi/piano/privia/px800.html

I should have added this to my previous post, except I just came across it. It is the press release from Casio that list the changes in the Privia line. The website is: casio-europe.com/euro/news/article/1366.

Also, Casio has replaced all of their celviano models.

M
M
Originally Posted by Vincent L.

Argggg... Unfair!
I will suffer from HAS again.

Out of curiosity, what is HAS?

Last edited by Mark5and1_2; 07/23/09 08:22 PM.
M
M
130 or 330... Oh snap.

If seeing is believing, then I'd prefer to remain ignorant.
V
V
Does anyone, by any chance, know of any dealers in the greater Toronto area that would most likely get these new models in stock right away? Or any website that will ship to Canada at a decent rate?

V
V
Hardware Acquisition Syndrome

Last edited by Vincent L.; 07/24/09 12:08 AM.
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Finding such complaints on this forum has been a big surprise to me because in fact our return rates are so insignificant.

To Mike Martin:
I was wondering if Casio is also unaware of the problem of noisy keybeds on many of your Privia digital piano line. When the keys return they bounce and make a mechanical clack. It usually begins with select notes then becomes more pronounced with use as many other keys do the same thing. There is a video on youtube that documents the problem on a PX 200. My PX 575 began doing this after a couple months of use. Does Casio plan to address this issue?

M
M
I've heard of this problem as well. People comment that it's almost as if some keypads wear out after so much use and then become very noisy. I've even heard of some saying they had to resort to isolated earphones to block out the "clacking" noise while they play.

Good question galaxy, I hope Mike addresses answers this as well.

K
K
Hmm.. My sister has an older PX110 that I play on from time to time, and it seems to have the noisy key problem as well. I am somewhat skeptical as to whether the action has been changed or not.

ZZsounds and Samedaymusic have actually removed the PX130 that was linked above.

Guitarcenter has it listed under pre-order status, and claims that they will be available on August 3rd.

M
M
I've just played a PX-730 in an appliance shop.
I especially had interests in its new three sensors pick-up system and new Linear Morphing AIF technology.

They said that the response for repeated notes was improved.
So I brought a metronome to test the response for repeated notes.
If you play sextuplets with 90 beats/min it means you play 9 notes/sec.
For the test, I used the center C key.
I could easily play 9 notes/sec with PX-730 but it was difficult to play 10 notes/sec.
So let me say the limit was 9.5 notes/sec.
I thought it was sufficient performance because the limit of my upright was 9 notes/sec.
Then I thought a weak point of PX-720 was improved.
However I found that from PX-720 to PX-730, the touch was not changed but the response was changed.
I thought they didn't change the action but the sensor.

About Linear Morphing AIF, I felt this piano was not good at playing piannisimo.
The change of tone in the range between ppp to mp was a little conservative.

Besides three sensors pick-up system and Linear Morphing AIF, I found the PX-730 had rich resonances with the sustain pedal.

Speaking totally, I think PX-730 is an excellent DP in this price level.

Last edited by mezzo-poor; 07/24/09 11:35 AM. Reason: correction
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I feel like screaming. My final decision last month was down to the PX 320 vs YPG 635. I wanted the portability of the 320, but some of the features of the 635. Anyway less than a month later the 330 is available online for $699! I have HAS too. Sigh.

I may get the 330 anyway because I'm going to need portability and probably sooner rather than later, and now the few features the YPG has that it doesn't won't matter since I JUST Bought the 635.

BTW, as soon as that gigantic thing arrived in 2 boxes at my home I realized I would never return it...thus when I got ready to buy another DP I'll probably suck it up and pay taxes and a slightly higher price (maybe) just because of the greater ease of return...then again maybe not.

V
V
You might wrote about the couple of features that made you choose the Yamaha vs the Casio, but would you mind sharing this again?

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
You might wrote about the couple of features that made you choose the Yamaha vs the Casio, but would you mind sharing this again?

Yes, but I want to correct myself in that I had actually come down to either the PX 320 or PX 575 vs. YPG 635.

There were different things missing on each keyboard, and without looking back at the specs I can't recall offhand, but it came down to lesser polyphony, lack of an educational suite, the lack of digital display, fewer recording tracks, difference in MIDI/USB ports, and heavier action on the Casios.

Altho' each of those Casio were better in some way, the YPG had all the features I wanted built right in at the right price.

I see they've added musical libraries and educational components to the new models and some more good stuff, so I think I would probably have chosen a PX if these models had been out.

V
V
I might be wrong but I suspect the musical libraries are the 60 classical pieces you can play as demo and educational component might be the ability to play slower these 60 classical pieces and play them with only the left or the right hand selected (which allows you to train the other hand). If that is so, the PX-320 does that already.
I did not see any information about any new educational feature.
I believe some edu systems slow down and keep in sync as the student struggle progressing through the score ...
I am always worried about marketing spin out about features that end up being not as useful sooner or later.
They improved the look of the PX-330 vs the 320. I am sensitive to that, not only the specs. Must resist ...

Last edited by Vincent L.; 07/24/09 01:47 PM.
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I might be wrong but I suspect the musical libraries are the 60 classical pieces you can play as demo and educational component might be the ability to play slower these 60 classical pieces and play them with only the left or the right hand selected (which allows you to train the other hand). If that is so, the PX-320 does that already.
I did not see any information about any new educational feature.
I believe some edu systems slow down and keep in sync as the student struggle progressing through the score ...
I am always worried about marketing spin out about features that end up being not as useful sooner or later.
They improved the look of the PX-330 vs the 320. I am sensitive to that, not only the specs. Must resist ...

Yes I think the educational part was missing on the 575. It is just about having a music library and being able to learn right/left hand separately....not really a big deal, but with the Yamaha you have a whole bunch of extra songs you can load onto the keyboard.

Really, the only tempting thing for me is portability since I already have the YPG...so I might just end up getting an older model when the price drops.

I sounds like "Linear Morphing" means that instead of switching between the 4 levels of samples at certain velocities, they actually blend them together over a range of velocities. I'm curious if it's just a linear mix (as the 'linear' would imply) or they have a more complex algorithm. Does anyone else do that with sample based DP's?

As long as the samples were adjusted to be pitch perfect matches (which I'm sure they are), the differences would be in the overtones and whatever harmonics were captured. The question is does this successfully create the illusion of many more levels or just sound strange. I guess we'll find out.

M
M
Yeah, I noticed that too. My assumption is that they are not suppose to allow pre-ordering yet, and Mike "being part of Casio" made them drop it until the official release.

Just a guess, since both dropped near the exact same moment.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
also played a PX-130 in Tokyo and agree with most of what mezzo-poor wrote. However, I was not as impressed with the instrument overall asI expected to be. First the good points:

- It looks pretty nice
- It sounds good. The piano tone is very nice and I think the organ sounds are much improved also.
- It feels a little more solid than before and I didn't hear any keyclick (on the admittedly new keyboard).

Now the less impressive points:

- The keyboard has a syrupy, sluggish feel to it, like the felt is too thick. I didn't feel this in the PX-320 next to it, and although I could play quickly, it didn't feel as responsive as I'd like.
- The 3-pedal unit looks very plasticky and fragile.
- The response to volume changes from ppp to mf is a little jumpy and not as smooth and intuitive as it should be.

In short, I don't think it's as much of an improvement as I was hoping. I can still recommend it, but I'd be more likely to steer someone towards a P140 or P155 if they can swing the difference.

http://casio-intl.com/emi/piano/privia/px330bk.html

The Casio intl site has a description of the new products.

I (still) haven't ordered the PX 320 that I intended to order early this year - so this is great!

looks like there will be 250 tones, 180 rhythms. I noticed Guitar Center is listing it at $699 available Aug. 31.... so we'll see. I will probably give them a call at that time.

Thanks for all who posted -

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission