Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1237275 - 07/25/09 06:25 PM My unexpected potential new piano...(guidance pls)
pianogal37 Offline

Today I went to the Kawai etc. piano store, and played 4 Kawais, a Steinway, a Mason and Hamelin, a Heintzman, and a 40 year old yamaha(!). Previously I was pretty much sold on a Yamaha Gc2. Much to my surprise, I really liked the sound of the Kawai pianos. RX2 is out of my price range, but the GE30 is potentially do-able. It is selling in the sale for $14995 Canadian plus 12% tax equals $16235 all inclusive. Is this a good deal? I have been quoted $20000-25000 sale price on the Yamaha GC2, and the fact the Kawai is so much less expensive is very compelling, not that I want to make a decision only on price. new piano, 10 yr warrantee, 1st tuning included, adjustable piano bench. It is a 5 foot 5 instead of a 5 foot 8, but I like the sound of both the Yamaha and Kawai.
Does anyone have any guidance? I am seriously considering mulling it over for a couple of days and buying it.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1237299 - 07/25/09 07:10 PM Re: My unexpected potential new piano...(guidance pls) [Re: pianogal37]
pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: ♪oron♪o, on♪ario, canada...
I bet your are from BC (12% taxes). I am glad we don't have Tom Lee here in TO. Otherwise we would be hit with severely inflated Yamaha prices.

Stay away Tom Lee...stay away... smile

#1237308 - 07/25/09 07:27 PM Re: My unexpected potential new piano...(guidance pls) [Re: pno]
Norbert Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
pianogal:

There are 2 issues I can see:

Quote:
It is selling in the sale for $14995 Canadian plus 12% tax equals $16235 all inclusive. Is this a good deal?

The first question would be: is this really a "sale" price or just 'normal' selling price?

Hopefully we don't start with a misrepresentation of sorts... frown

The only way of course to find out is to ask the dealer to be given a look at invoices written to previous customers before when the piano was not "on sale" proofing that the "normal price" is in fact much higher.

It would otherwise be a.....you fill in the blanks!

However, I doubt you will succeed with this...

The second and perhaps more important question is how the piano you are interested in compares to others at or near same price range.

This is not only the more important but also "dangerous" area - for the dealer, now having to compete with somebody else's product head on! mad

If a Hailun or Brodmann dealer is in your neighbourhood, these guys could give you plenty of ammunition to at least have one of their pianos tried by yourself with you then returning to the Yamaha dealer later explaining that there are other possible pianos worth your consideration.

Let's see, how much flex there suddenly can still be on "Sale prices" again..... wink

Norbert grin

Edited by Norbert (07/25/09 07:40 PM)

#1237356 - 07/25/09 08:50 PM Re: My unexpected potential new piano...(guidance pls) [Re: Norbert]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: Norbert
pianogal:

Quote:
It is selling in the sale for $14995 Canadian plus 12% tax equals $16235 all inclusive. Is this a good deal?

The first question would be: is this really a "sale" price or just 'normal' selling price?

The only way of course to find out is to ask the dealer to be given a look at invoices written to previous customers before when the piano was not "on sale" proofing that the "normal price" is in fact much higher.

The second and perhaps more important question is how the piano you are interested in compares to others at or near same price range.

This is not only the more important but also "dangerous" area - for the dealer, now having to compete with somebody else's product head on! mad

If a Hailun or Brodmann dealer is in your neighbourhood, these guys could give you plenty of ammunition to at least have one of their pianos tried by yourself with you then returning to the Yamaha dealer later explaining that there are other possible pianos worth your consideration.

Let's see, how much flex there suddenly can still be on "Sale prices" again..... wink

Norbert grin

So in one post you mangaed to:

1. Start talking about pianos you sell that are not part of the thread
2. As a dealer imply that another dealer my be lying about the "sale"
3. Instruct a customer on how to "squeaze" another dealer on price
4. Way overdo emoticons

#1237371 - 07/25/09 09:12 PM Re: My unexpected potential new piano...(guidance pls) [Re: pianoloverus]
pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: ♪oron♪o, on♪ario, canada...
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
Originally Posted By: Norbert
pianogal:

Quote:

Norbert grin

So in one post you mangaed to:

1. Start talking about pianos you sell that are not part of the thread
2. As a dealer imply that another dealer my be lying about the "sale"
3. Instruct a customer on how to "squeaze" another dealer on price
4. Way overdo emoticons

... and 5. You missed something that Norbert has edited out, which involved you and me in it.

#1237393 - 07/25/09 09:50 PM Re: My unexpected potential new piano...(guidance pls) [Re: pno]
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The Yamaha GC2 is a great piano for the money. It is basically a C2 in a stripped down cabinet.
The Kawai GE30 is also a great piano. It is basically an RX 1 in a stripped down cabinet. The GE 30 would be more comparable to the Yamaha GC1.
Better to compare apples and apples when you can. I am confident you could be happy with either.

#1237394 - 07/25/09 09:54 PM Re: My unexpected potential new piano...(guidance pls) [Re: Marty Flinn]
Norbert Online   content

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Last week just i bought another real estate.
Price came down after we showed planned, written offers on 2 others in mind.

Now I go shoot real estate lady for suggesting this...

Norbert grin

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
182 registered (accordeur, acortot, 36251, 53 invisible), 1728 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74230 Members
42 Forums
153553 Topics
2250436 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
OT: John Passion
by wimpiano
Today at 04:33 PM
3/4 time for 6/8 time comping patterns?
by Ben Ther
Today at 04:33 PM
Shanks with parallel wood grain
by JohnSprung
Today at 04:15 PM
Pinblocks & bridges... How long do they last?
by Piano Practice
Today at 03:58 PM
Spinoff: What do we think of "technique seminars"?
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 02:46 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission