2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, Brendan, 1957, 10 invisible), 1,780 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 199 of 452 1 2 197 198 199 200 201 451 452
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I agree - He's got the Whole World..... - all that banging. I was glad to get the gist of it and move on. No way to get that one to sound musical. LOL

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
D
D
I dislike the banging too but for me it's a good exercise in controling the volume between my right and left hands and I kind of like the sound of the change to the key of C.

Doug

I have a great memory, it's just short.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
D
OK guys, we fell to the second page. Let's start chatting it up.

What's everyone working on?

I had a lesson yesterday and it went pretty good. Only got passed on Go Down Moses but am happy to be rid of that one. Scarborough Fair just needs a little fine tuning with the pedal as does Raisins And Almonds. I didn't get time to play He's Got The Whole World because we ran out of time but it's almost there. I just need to smooth out the chord changes. I keep hesitating between them. I have just started Memory from the Greatest Hits book and it's coming along but I have a ways to go on it.

I am planning on starting The Entertainer this weekend. My teachers going away for a conference for a couple weeks so I'll have some extra time to work on my material. I may even get to Amazing Grace whome

Doug

I have a great memory, it's just short.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
P
I am struggling with the pedalling in "On Top of Old Smoky" -- the last unpedalled note of each of the three bar segments of arpeggiated chords sounds awful to me. (Raising the pedal just before playing that note sounds so abrupt, as the ringing notes end.) Does anyone else get this to sound OK?

N
N
I had my first piano lesson on Monday July 5 and then the 2nd one this past Wednesday. My teacher had me play the songs I felt "I had passed" on my own..and she backed me up a bit. I sort of glossed over "Jericho" because I'm not doing so well with the bass clef notes. So, I'm working on that--I have made progress though with that. She told me to write all sorts of notes in my music notebook and then go back and name them. Or just name the notes I'm working on. That has helped. I haven't used my keyboard cheat sheet all week!

I was passed though on Scarborough Fair, O Sole Mio, and Go Down Moses (although I need to watch my music instead of jazzing it up like I try and do with that one!!)

I'm working also on Finlandia in the Hits Book. And scales. I had no idea what working on scales were! I just meant that you knew how many flats/sharps were in one and could play them. Well..she has me doing left and right hand scales together and then opposite!! Back to C for me!!! She did show me how to use my third finger as a base in which to cross over...and promises me that I will be able to do it automatically..when now it feels like my fingers become entangled.

So, that's my world in a nut shell. Still looking for someone to come and tune me up and clean my piano.

Hope everyone has a productive and piano playing weekend!!

Nancy

Piano Obsession Log:
Began Piano 12/25/09 on Yamaha starter digital keyboard
Playing on circa 1917/18 Chickering Grand Piano since July 2010
Finished Alfred Book 1-August 2010
Started Book 2--August 11, 2010
Alfred Favorites Book

[Linked Image]

Pianomaly, the pedaling on that song is ridiculous sounding. I just did it that way and moved on.

Working on He's Got the Whole world, Entertainer and Amazing Grace. Entertainer is giving me the most problems. I just need to devote some time to it.

Supplemental pieces I'm working on is LaCandeur op 100, (Burguller). Also working on finding chords to I'd Need a Savior, by Among The Thirsty in hopes that I might be able to play it at church along with the guitar player with someone singing. I probably won't feel comfortable with that, but I'm going to try. Can't hurt to try...

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
-Anything composed by D. Nevue
X
X
laugh completed "blow the man down"!!
took me 2 days :-X

book// Alfred's Book I
song// Blow the Man Down
dreams// Cruel Angel Thesis, Just communication, I Say Yes, Cannon in D, star fox 64 opening theme

Yamaha p85// started 6-11-2010
I'm working on Little Brown Eyes now. Day three.

Started Playing May 2010 at 51 yrs old, Some Self Learning, Lessons X 3yrs
Originally Posted by xiangjiao
laugh completed "blow the man down"!!
took me 2 days :-X

This is where I am while working with my instructor. Pages 84-93 most difficulty is the rhythm otherwise I can play it but this is only the second time I tried to play it. I keep counting aloud to improve my rhythm. Oh and also working on a non-book Bach Minuet smile .

B
B
I don't have a teacher but I have passed myself up through Lone Star Waltz. I have Cafe Vienna down enough to where I can usually play it through but not consistently. Lullaby is still no where near ready. I'm also working on the "Rainbow Connection" from the Greatest Hits book and will probably be putting it on Youtube some time this week.

E
E
I'm still working on "The Entertainer" and "Amazing Grace" although I've become somewhat disenchanted with the latter. Those triplets are a bit overdone ...I get the point! I've already got Book 2 on the stand ready to go!

While I work on the last 2 songs, I'm practicing some of the Christmas carols from "Top50 Christmas Hits" by Dan Coates, an Alfred's book. Be prepared is my motto! The songs are listed as "Easy Piano" and are about at the "Greatest Hits 2" level, meaning that if you're near the end of Alfred's 1 and like a particular song, you'll be able to get through it without too much trouble and learn some "new tricks" too! You have to check out some of those "easy" piano books carefully before you purchase them. "Easy" is a relative term. I've seen some material that's listed as "easy" only if you're an "intermediate level player".

To all of the folks new to Alfred's book 1: Hang in there! It's well worth it. I used to look at the end of the book when I was half-way through it, and think that those last pieces looked so hard! Well now, I'm playing them! It's a great feeling!

Banjoman - sounds like you're doing fine! You did nice work on "My heart Will Go On" from GH 1. The version in GH 2 sounds a lot better with some riffs from the movie thrown in! Nice guitar and vocals on those old songs! It's refreshing to hear old traditional material. I'm in Monroe, so we're nearly neighbors! smile

Last edited by Emissary52; 07/19/10 06:35 PM.

I'm Craig, I'm retired, It's Saturday every day!
Alfred's Masterwork Classics Vol 3 and Vol 4
YDP-160, GH-170R
Alfred 1 Graduate
N
N
Congrats Emmisary--you are almost done!!! We will miss you!
And the others too that are almost ready to move on!

I agree with you regarding the progress. I never thought I would be able to read my notes on the bass clef, but I'm doing it now....new people...just hang in there and practice, practice, practice. Every day. You will get those songs. Read all the posts (or a good portion of them) from this thread and you will find others in the same boats and great advice on what to do next.

I'm still working on Jericho, Whole World, Raisins before moving on. My teacher gave me a couple more too--Finlandia in the greatest hits book, which I SHOULD be able to play...but it just isn't coming. And Minuet in G from another book...which is coming along nice...but making stupid mistakes. That is the frustrating part. Making the same mistakes over and over. I slow down, and do fine, but when I try and speed it up to regular speed, I mess up. Guess I just got to keep on plugging away!

Congrats to all on your achievements!!!

Nancy

Piano Obsession Log:
Alfred Favorites Book

[Linked Image]

I'm down to only needing to finish Entertainer. Still have a ways to go yet. I haven't been able to play Amazing Grace consistantly enough to record, but I'm to the point of where I start adding in some extra stuff of my own to make it my own. I have family coming to stay for the next 5 days so I won't be practicing as much.

I have managed to not look in book #2 yet. smile It's calling my name though.

nancymae, are you enjoying your lessons?

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
N
N
Hi Gracie! Sorry you won't be able to practice as much with guests coming. I really missed playing when I went down to see my Mom a couple of weeks ago. I was anxious to get back. My teacher asked me if I have to push myself to practice...and I said...NOOOOOO!! I have to push myself to STOP and make dinner, clean the house...etc. I hope my enthusiasm stays with me!

I have just completed my third lesson and she has passed me on all except "Whole World" (I hate that banging too). We are on to The Entertainer, which I had begun before my lessons, so I think I will be able to complete it by next week. She has been giving me lessons in my All Time Favorites book too, and I think I'm going to get a Christmas book to start practicing on.

I really love going to my lessons, except for one thing. My nervousness at playing for someone else. I can do it in front of my hubby and his nurse, and I feel comfortable with my teacher, but for some weird reason, my brain goes on shut off mode and I can't even remember the simplest chords. OY!! So, I have to work on that. She isn't that concerned, but it makes me mad that I can't show her where my accomplishments are. (PS>>>>>I feel the same way about my recorder!!!!--which I REALLY want to get rid of..so I can record some songs and put them on a CD for my Mom to listen to. She loves music, and is in bad health and I think she would get a kick out of it. So maybe I should just practice with the recorder on???? And stop thinking about it??

Hope everyone has a wonderful day playing piano!!

Nancy

PS: I'm getting mine tuned and cleaned on Monday...I'm so excited!

Piano Obsession Log:
Alfred Favorites Book

[Linked Image]

I loved having my piano tuned for the first time. I had some sour notes and it was so nice to play after it was fixed. The man only charged me $60 (which is cheap) and I gave him more in hopes he come back the next time. My piano is on old 1956-57 spinet. It'll be a nightmare to ever be worked on. I love it though! Let us know how your tuning goes.

Started piano Dec 2009
----------------------
Working on:
Hello, I'm Jeff from Madison, AL. I have been wanting to learn how to play the piano all my life but never made time. I am a complete newbie at 41 years old having never had lessons, unless you count music class in 7th grade. :-)

I bought a Casio Privia PX-330 and two courses. The first Alfred's Basic All-in-One thanks to the forum here. I just started today and I'm on page 13 (Ode To Joy).

Looking forward to a lot of fun and hard work as I learn!

Jeff

Current Courses:
  • Alfred's All in One Adult Piano Course I (Main Course - Started July 22, 2010)
  • Rocket Piano (Any opinion's on this one)

E
E
Welcome Jeff - You're in good company here! I really believe that learning to play the piano is a great exercise for the brain, no matter what your age! I'm at the end of the book and probably will continue to post here, since it feels like "home". I just wish I started at 41 instead of 57! It's not an easy task and you'll probably get frustrated at various points, but when you master some part of a musical piece you thought you'd never get, it's a great feeling! You made a wise choice for your starting instrument! Maybe someday we'll all have Steinways but keep working away on what you have!

I'm Craig, I'm retired, It's Saturday every day!
Alfred's Masterwork Classics Vol 3 and Vol 4
YDP-160, GH-170R
Alfred 1 Graduate
Thank you Emissary52. Regarding the starting instrument, I researched it here. grin

Back to practice - page 16 now. Left hand practice. I think it might be a little easier since I am left handed. I am noticing that I have a little more strength and dexterity in my left hand vs my right.

Jeff

Current Courses:
  • Alfred's All in One Adult Piano Course I (Main Course - Started July 22, 2010)
  • Rocket Piano (Any opinion's on this one)

C
C
Originally Posted by William Hunter
Hello, I'm Jeff from Madison, AL. I have been wanting to learn how to play the piano all my life but never made time. I am a complete newbie at 41 years old having never had lessons, unless you count music class in 7th grade. :-)

I bought a Casio Privia PX-330 and two courses. The first Alfred's Basic All-in-One thanks to the forum here. I just started today and I'm on page 13 (Ode To Joy).

Looking forward to a lot of fun and hard work as I learn!
Welcome Jeff! I just turned 44 and am pretty much at the same stage you are. About two yrs ago I bought a Casio and set about trying to teach myself with an on-line course. Things were going pretty well for nearly a year. Then life's little problems started getting in the way, and admittedly frustration and lack of commitment took over and I fizzled out. Last month I restarted my education, this time with a professional teacher. Part of his curriculum includes the use of Alfred's.

Best of luck and enjoyment to you!

B
B
Originally Posted by Emissary52
Banjoman - sounds like you're doing fine! You did nice work on "My heart Will Go On" from GH 1. The version in GH 2 sounds a lot better with some riffs from the movie thrown in! Nice guitar and vocals on those old songs! It's refreshing to hear old traditional material. I'm in Monroe, so we're nearly neighbors! smile

Thank you Emissary52 I appreciate the encouragement. I just managed to upload "The Puppet Connection" from the Alfred's Greatest Hits book and I've moved far enough along to begin work on What a Wonderful World which I don't think is as hard.

And thanks for the kind words regarding my folk singing. The Charlotte Folk Society has just booked me to play a set on there stage at Festival in the Park coming up at the end of September. It should be a fun gig.

Page 199 of 452 1 2 197 198 199 200 201 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission