2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,849 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1238141 07/27/09 12:30 PM
G
Gerrit Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I am trying to choose my repertoire from my masters. I previously posted as "FTCL", which didn't work since nobody no what that is.

I am looking for advice on the romantic sonatas, regarding which are more or less difficuly, nicer to play, etc. Also thinking of the Faure Variations and Rachmaninoff Corelli Variations. Anybody know how difficult they are to play?

I need to fill 45 minutes, and the standard is such that, as a general guideline, anything by Haydn or Mozart is insufficeintly demanding.

Thanks,

Gerrit

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
What I learned during my masters:

Bach - Prelude and Fugue in Eb Major, WTC I
Schubert - Sonata in a minor, D. 784, Piano Trio in Bb Major
Haydn - Andante and Variations in f minor
Brahms - Op. 116, Clarinet Trio
Mozart - Concerto in Bb Major, K. 450
Ravel - Une Barque sur l'Ocean, Alborada del Gracioso
Liszt - Mephisto Waltz
Scriabin - Sonata #9
Prokofiev - Concerto #3
Beethoven - Triple Concerto

And while I know you won't likely be able to convince your administration otherwise, the idea that Mozart and Haydn didn't write anything sufficiently demanding for graduate study in music is completely absurd.

Since you're specifically asking for romantic sonatas, I'd suggest the Schubert I mentioned above, Scriabin 2 or 4, or Chopin 3 (if you've got the chops for it.)

The Corelli variations are difficult, but not quite as thorny as the concerti or sonatas. I don't know the Faure so I can't comment on that one.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
G
Gerrit Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Kreisler

And while I know you won't likely be able to convince your administration otherwise, the idea that Mozart and Haydn didn't write anything sufficiently demanding for graduate study in music is completely absurd.

I couldn't agree more! The problem is that as I am playing the exam in South Africa, and the examining board is in London, I cant play any Concertos. Do you know of any Haydn or Mozart that I could propose? All the Mozart and Haydn Sonatas have been declared "insufficiently demanding", and since I cant play a concerto I presumed that pretty much cancelled them out... If I am missing something PLEASE let me know, I would really like to play either of them!

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
According to the RCM (Toronto) 2008 Piano Syllabus, the following Sonatas are liste3d as appropriate for the ARCT diploma examination:

Haydn :
Sonata in C minor. Hob. XVI:20
Sonata in A flat major, Hob. XVI:46
Sonata in E flat major, Hob. XVI:49
Sonata in C major ("English"), Hob. XVI:50
Sonata in E flat major, Hob. XVI:52

Mozart :
Sonata in D major, K 284
Sonata in A minor, K 310
Sonata in D major, K 311
Sonata in A major, K 331
Sonata in B flat major, K. 333
Sonata in C minor, K 457
Sonata in F major, K 533

According to the RCM (Toronto) new 2009 LRCM Piano Performance Syllabus, the following Sonatas are appropriate for the Licentiate diploma :

Haydn : Piano Sonata in E flat major, Hob. XVI:52

Mozart : Piano Sonata in D major, K 284
Piano Sonata in C minor, K 457 (with or without the Fantasie, K 475)

You will notice that there is duplication of a Mozart and Haydn Sonata in the LRCM list from the ARCT list.

These might give you something to go on. What you should do is check to see if any of the above Sonatas were on any lower Trinity College lists.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
M
M
Wow, Mozart and Haydn aren't sufficiently demanding? Since when? There are so many nuances that have to be used, and Mozart especially is just tricky to begin with. He never repeats anything the same way twice (unless you obey the repeat signs :P)!

To add to BruceD's combined list: Mozart's K 576 "presents the most technical problems of all the sonatas" according to Maurice Hinson's Guide to the Pianist's Repertoire.

I know you don't have any say in this, Gerritt, just commenting on how dumb that board is! You sure you want your masters from there? laugh

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Is there no syllabus for the FTCL? It would help if you gave more information on the syllabus or guidelines. Otherwise we're just guessing.

Du holde Kunst...
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by currawong
Is there no syllabus for the FTCL? It would help if you gave more information on the syllabus or guidelines. Otherwise we're just guessing.

Yes, there is. TCL

Go to Music/Music Diplomas/Music Diplomas from 2009/then download the PDF file "Diplomas in Music Performance and Teaching" from the right hand margin, and you'll find the syllabus for the (piano) ATCL Recital on page 18, the LTCL on page 20, and the FTCL Recital on page 24. There are no Haydn or Mozart Sonatas on the FTCL list.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Thanks for that, Bruce. I'd been to the TCL site but couldn't find the actual syllabus smile.

To the OP: Why aren't you just choosing pieces from the syllabus?
It's more straightforward, isn't it, without the need to decide whether it's "difficult enough"..?

Morodienne: This isn't a Master's degree, though the OP points out that it's of a similar standard. It's a diploma exam, with its own list of works. Generally you choose from the list. If you want to submit an own choice piece, you need to have it approved. It's not really "dumb", just the rules of the diploma.

Du holde Kunst...
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
My master's programs included:

Bach G Major French Suite, P and F in f minor, book II
Beethoven Op. 10/2
Mozart K.330
Debussy - entire Children's Corner, L'isle joyeuse
Chopin - Bb minor Scherzo, 3 Album leaves, E minor Nocturne, C# minor Polonaise
Ginastera - Sonata No. 2
Bartok - Scherzo
Menotti - Ricercare and Toccata

And Mozart and Haydn can be very demanding! SO much detail and hard to bring off so that it sounds easy. Everything is exposed.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
G
Gerrit Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks guys. Yes, it would probably be easier to pick pieces straight of the list, but many of those pieces I am not familiar with, so I was just looking for comments or suggestions. My musical training has been quite narrow, so although I have played difficult pieces I have not played a lot of pieces. As such I have no idea what to expect from a Schubert/Brahms/Prokofiev/Rachmaninoff/Liszt Sonata. I have been playing Beethoven my whole life and would like to try something different, hence my enquiry!

One that isn't played all that often is Grieg's Sonata in E minor (op. 7 I believe). It's a nice piece and not terribly demanding but usually makes the grade for grad studies.

I used Prokofiev's Sonata #1 for my grad school audition -- that's a fantastic work!

FREE 90-page eBook of sheet music: www.pianopronto.com/specialoffer

Piano Pronto Music Books: www.pianopronto.com

BA in Piano/MA Musicology

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission