2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,877 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 43 of 452 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 451 452
Originally posted by Always Wanted to Play Piano:
Mark, I haven't figured out a reasonable way to record on our old upright.
Could you stick a microphone in the piano?
as in a few inches above the strings? And a little tape so it doesnt fall ON the strings.

Of course, given its flaws, I am not sure I would want to subject the rest of you to anything I might record, even if I could.
Heck I subject folk to my bad playing. Only because I don't have an alternative now if I want to work on more than 3 octaves but I am going to use the practice set up tomorrow so I can practice "endless scales"and not worry bout the ears around.!!!

I am talking to someone about a Craigslist posting on a used Privia... if that works out, I will begin posting recordings soon on anything that's missing.
Craigslist is great isnt hit??

I found a good site for free sheemusic but most of it is "one liners." freescores.com,they seem to have a little bit of everything.
I got a few Irish trad songs there. They look like they are scored for C instruments and I will use one for sightreading tomorrow. Set dance pieces are hard to find. Also if you have more than 4 couples they are long.
The last two times I practiced,it seemed like an unintentional concert. Once there was a lady and her kids,this last time it was a lady and her kid.
that is unnerving. very unnerving....I wont even touch a keyboard in a music store.

I'm currently at page 40 after 4 weeks. Is this about the normal speed? And after how long do you guys think i'll be done with this book. Because it'll get harder and harder every week :p

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.

If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed.

Mark Twain
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Wimbwicket:
I'm currently at page 40 after 4 weeks. Is this about the normal speed? And after how long do you guys think i'll be done with this book. Because it'll get harder and harder every week :p
Took me 7 months to finish book one, but I was still cleans up stuff while I was in book two. Your milage may vary. Remember its not a race, take your time and enjoy the journey.

Mark...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by 1silkyferret:
Daily stop for me. Unfortunately, somebody beat me to the $200 PX-575R. It's a shame I wasn't downtown that day.

Originally posted by Mark...:
Took me 7 months to finish book one, but I was still cleaning up stuff while I was in book two. Your mileage may vary. Remember its not a race, take your time and enjoy the journey.

Mark...
I'm glad you reminded me of this. There are some pieces I worked hard to polish. After moving on, I've gone back to play some of these, and find, to my utter annoyance and dismay, that I can no longer play them well first (heck sixth) time through. I figured once I "finished" Book One, I would take another month or so to fly through the book a few times, and see if I can get some of these back up to speed. In theory, each lap through it should be quicker, and the level of polish should improve. That's my plan, anyway.

7 months is probably about the time frame I am looking at as well. I already have Book Two, but my eyes glaze over and roll back into my head when I look at what's in there.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
Remember its not a race, take your time and enjoy the journey.
I know it isn't a race, i have the feeling i can play the songs good. And that's what my teacher says too laugh . By the way i'm 15 years old. I just hope to go through the first book fast because the second book has much more fun songs because of the knowledge you already have gained from the first book. smile

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.

If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed.

Mark Twain
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
See, for me, I know it's not a race, but that doesn't make me less impatient. I want to improve quickly, as I assume the more interesting (and difficult) music is more fun than, say, Chiapanecas.

That said, I am falling short of my practice time goals these days, and may not catch up until late summer.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M

[b]Originally posted by Mark...:
Took me 7 months to finish book one, but I was still cleaning up stuff while I was in book two. Your mileage may vary. Remember its not a race, take your time and enjoy the journey.

Mark...
I'm glad you reminded me of this. There are some pieces I worked hard to polish. After moving on, I've gone back to play some of these, and find, to my utter annoyance and dismay, that I can no longer play them well first (heck sixth) time through. I figured once I "finished" Book One, I would take another month or so to fly through the book a few times, and see if I can get some of these back up to speed. In theory, each lap through it should be quicker, and the level of polish should improve. That's my plan, anyway.

7 months is probably about the time frame I am looking at as well. I already have Book Two, but my eyes glaze over and roll back into my head when I look at what's in there. [/b]
Its all relative. I still play the Entertainer and Amazing Grace from book one and once and a while play around with other pieces. Some take a few takes to play right.

Book two was initially scary but now I look back from book three and say wow, I can play many of them ok. (Not all), I'm still cleaning up many pieces in the back 1/3 of book two especially Canon.

When I looked at book 3, I again was scared, but it does start to come together. Some work out really well, some I hack to heck... smile By the way I'm very average and struggle to play anything clean. Just by brute force and lots of practice can I make anything from this wonderful instrument sound remotely like music. Maybe in time I can play like those that sound so gifted. Because I'm sure not...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by JohnFrank:
Key Notes (and anyone else interested) - here is an example of what you can do to "embellish" a simple piece, which will show you how much difference even a few enhancements can make to a short, basic work.

This is a piece from near the end of Alfred Book 2 called "Black is the Color of My True Love's Hair" (title is almost as long as the piece). The first version is played just as it appears in the Book (with no repeats, etc.). Here it is:

Black is the Color

The second version repeats the entire piece, with a short transition between the first & second play-thrus, and then repeats the last phrase with a slight slowing of tempo. Here it is:

Black is the Color - embellished .

You can add endings/intros/repeats to just about every piece you study to increase their appeal - but always learn the original book arrangement well first.

Regards, JF
Hi JohnFrank, Very nice demonstrations and beautiful playing. Thanks for taking the time to record and shared them.

I can now see where we can add intros and endings, but how do you select which parts to use for the repeats?

Thanks again for all of your wonderful tips.

Regards,

Key Notes smile

Music speaks where words fails.
[QUOTE][qb]Originally posted by 1silkyferret:
Daily stop for me. Unfortunately, somebody beat me to the $200 PX-575R. It's a shame I wasn't downtown that day.

Man that sucketh!!!!!(ya want some van seats?) I got my 1st keyboard from a pawn shop. I was looking for the cheapest thing I could find. Now I have a Roland d-10. Big enough for the nieghbor cats to hang out on. The b takes a while to sound until I play it a few times.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Key Notes:
I can now see where we can add intros and endings, but how do you select which parts to use for the repeats?

Thanks again for all of your wonderful tips.

Regards,

Key Notes smile
Key Notes - I'm not sure which "repeats" you're referring to so I'll cover the possibilities:

1. You can, of course, repeat the entire piece (if you wish to do that) even if there are no repeat symbols at the end of the piece. Or, if the piece is in two separate, distinct parts or sections (say like alot of pop songs with a verse section and a chorus section) you can choose to just repeat perhaps the second section (it's your choice - there are no firm rules - whatever appeals to you and/or sounds good).

2. Instead of the above (or in addition to it) you can repeat just the very ending part of the piece. This would be perhaps just the last several measures (or more precisely, the last phrase as indicated by the phrasing marks over the music - again whatever sounds good.

So, you could have a case (like I used in "Black is the Color...) where you play the piece thru once, then go back to the beginning and play it thru completely again, and finally repeat the last ending phrase again (the 3rd time it would have been played).

If the piece was in two sections you could, for example, play the entire piece thru once (sections 1 & 2), then go back to the start of the second section and play thru to the end, and then repeat the last phrase (3rd time played).

Or you could have the case where you simply play the song thru once and then repeat just that last phrase as a finishing touch.

There are usually several choices when you're enhancing a piece according to your own desires and tastes - there is no right or wrong way, just your way. And this isn't even considering the possibilities involved with choosing how to do intros (which can really round out your interpretation).

Hope this helps.

Regard, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks JohnFrank! IOU big time. I love all of these ideas and the different variations and options to personalized any piece of music. I'll definitely have to try them out along the way as I get better.

Thank you so much once again and have a fabulous day!

Key Notes smile

Music speaks where words fails.
I am sort of messing with dropping stuff an octave,.or up an octave. so play the 1st verse,then the 2nd up the octave.

fingering is the same. Just move paws up or down the octave. Simple. Works on Irish music well.

My sightreading still sucks but I did run thru 3 pieces today. Finished one of them. Stopped at a few bars on the others.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
JF,
Those are some great ideas for spicing up Alfred's!!
If I ever finish the Can-Can song, I will have to try them!!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks Triyche - yes, do give them a try - I think you'll find they enhance the music, and your enjoyment, a great deal.

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well, I've moved on through the Middle C position songs, "Waltz Time", "Good Morning to You", "Happy Birthday" and a couple of short one liners. They were easy, probably because I spent so much time in the Bastien beginner book which started with Middle C. I'm still butchering "Brown Eyes" and "Alpine Melody" some days, but today I tried "Standing in the Need of Prayer". It looked hard, but it's actually not that bad. I'm still playing it slowly, but WAY better than I did with "Brown Eyes" and "Alpine". I think I'm going to like this one.

I'm also working on "Morning Mood" in the Bastien Level 1 Classics and "Lean on Me" in the Faber Adult All-in-one". I'm only on page 32 in Faber, and "Lean on Me" is a very easy song in middle C position with no chords, but I'm having trouble with the timing because it's slow. I've set my metronome to 50 and feel like I'm waiting a year to play the next note.

On an slightly off topic - two of my grandkids are in their piano recital tonight, and I'm worried about how they will do. They are doing a duet, and the older one reads music well, but occasionally makes a mistake. The younger one has a really good ear, but doesn't read music well, so she has memorized her part to compensate. They can't seem to coordinate their playing and have been arguing more than practicing. I can't be there to see them play and am kind of relieved, because I'm afraid that if anyone makes a mistake or slows down it will be a disaster. They are both in their second year of piano. Keep your fingers crossed for them.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
"Standing in the Need of Prayer" so far is one of my favorites from Alfred's. When I first started learning it, it was the most intimidating looking piece I had encountered in the book.

I will keep my fingers crossed!! smile

Standing in the Need is hard only because the eights are triky because the piece if you ever heard it sung gospel style like i have is normallyu done with swing notes. That means the 8ths are not equal. I can not play it with straight 8ths because if that.
I have beenstuck on that for weeks. I am about to just give up on this one. My teacher is not real happy about that.
on a waltz for me ( lot of alfred's stuff)I dont have that problem

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
1silkyferret,
can you swing the 8th's instead of playing it straight?

Originally posted by Triryche:
1silkyferret,
can you swing the 8th's instead of playing it straight?
my teacher doesnt want me to do the swing 8ths. I have been on this piece for over a month. Now its kind of a moot point. I am going to OK for a show there for a while so I will be on my own there. I also have the same problem on Alouette.
I am hoping to get a lesson or two there.
I can sort of get the 8ths if I am not doing the left hand part.
my left paw is still kind of useless. I also picked up a Bastiens book of real simple looking stuff (its a kid's book with cute pix/)

Page 43 of 452 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission