2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Charles Cohen, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,130 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1238458 07/27/09 08:24 PM
B
OP Offline
B
I am a adult beginner (Grade 1), and I have been playing a digital piano. Thinking about getting an acoustic to last me for several years ( with the aim of completing Grade 8)

I have been looking at Kawai K3 but tempted to get a baby grand GM10. I know the grand has the space issue, but is it worth the extra $4000.00 for sound quality and feel to develop skills for classical ???

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Go for the grand piano. Repetition sensitivity will serve you well on your way to grade 8.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
I agree with Marty all the way.

Jazz/Improvising Pianist, Composer, University Prof.
At home: C. Bechstein Concert 8, Roland RD88
At work: Kawai GX2, Dave Smith Prophet Rev2 16-voice
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
How do you like the sound and feel, Benjo?

Clef

B
OP Offline
B
Jeff:

To my untrained ears, I thought the resonance of the bass in K3 was signficantly less pleasant. I can't tell much difference on the feel playing the keys, except it is lighter on the K3 (if that is the word) than the grand.

I am thinking of getting the K3 and play it for 3 to 4 years, and if I get really passionate and better, than to buy a grand.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Well, Benjo, the more I hang out here, the more questions I have instead of answers. You would think it would go the other way, but I keep finding questions about pianos and then I have to get out and try them.

I have tried the K-3, which, it turns out, is Kawai's biggest seller in the range. I found out that it needs to be positioned just out from the wall to be heard properly, but many sellers have them in the middle of the floor. So, to seriously consider it, ask them to move it. One lady on the forum just bought one, and we should be hearing from her soon. She shopped for a long time, and that was her choice. The K-3 has the upright MIII action. Fine = 7190, negotiation target = 5033 - 5752, assuming $US. No sostenuto pedal, fold-out music rack (a bit skimpy). Any upright will be something of a compromise as to touch, compared to a grand, but it's easier to get a practice rail installed so you don't disturb your neighbors. There are the kind of hammers that start out pretty soft and after six months of playing-in start to get their real voice.

GM-10 I saw in the store some time ago, but did not pay much attention to; have to go back and listen. Website and Fine say ABS action (not MIII), plastic covered keys, not Neotex, full sostenuto pedal. 5'0", small for a grand but not a bad starter instrument. Made in Japan. Many features of good build you might never notice. Fine = 11190, negotiation target = 7833 - 9520. Full music desk, no slow-fall key cover, duplex scale absent

GM-12 range: MIII action, sostenuto pedal, slow-fall key cover, full music desk, similar build features, full duplex scaling. Same 5'0" size. Fine = 13970, negotiation target = 9779 - 11176.

So. Both have similar good inner features and build quality, sostenuto pedal, adjustable slide-out music desk, and are both made in Japan. GM-12 has the MIII grand action whereas the GM-10 lacks it; GM-12 has Neotex keytops, GM-10 has plastic; GM-12 has full duplex backscale (the end of the string beyond the speaking length), which helps the sound with resonant harmonics and longer sustain time, but not the GM-10; and the GM-12 has the slow-close fallboard, GM-10 does not.

K3 Fine = 7190, negotiation target = 5033 - 5752, assuming $US
GM-10 Fine = 11190, negotiation target = 7833 - 9520
GM-12 Fine = 13970, negotiation target = 9779 - 11176.
to get negotiation targets of 20 to 30% less, multiply Fine (or whatever the offered price is) by .7 and .8, respectively

So looking at all that tells me that you were basically right that (1) the GM10 sounds better than the K3 (which has an easier touch--- the MIII) and costs about 4 grand more, and (2) the GM12 has better features that should make it sound better and play better (MIII) and bring more for re-sale, and costs about 2500 more.

Any of them will last longer than a few years. 30 to 50 years is their design time to work as musical instruments, maybe more if they're cared for.

So, when I get a minute I'm going to go over to the store and try them, and ask questions, and see if we can move the K# to the wall and see if it helps. A day of interesting experiments. I would also like to find out who has Brodmanns around here and try them.

Last edited by Jeff Clef; 07/28/09 01:39 AM.

Clef

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission