Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1237882 - 07/26/09 10:40 PM Ideas for the 2010 Conference and Institute?
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, WA
OK everyone! Believe it or not, the ball is already rolling as far as gathering class ideas for the next Annual PTG Conference in Las Vegas! This can be a very affordable conference to attend if you are not one of the mathematically impaired.

I'm interested in anyone's ideas for class topics and or instructors. Was there something you wished you had seen at the last conference that you want to have brought back? Was there anything that we should drop?

I'm also interested in what offerings might attract non-guild members. Any ideas, folks??
www.pianova.net

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#1237991 - 07/27/09 06:08 AM Re: Ideas for the 2010 Conference and Institute? [Re: rysowers]
Magz Offline

Loc: Illinois
Ryan,

I missed the GR conference, due to other work responsibilities but was planning to spend a week in LV next summer. What are the dates for the conference. Seems like since I'm going, might as well plan when the conference is going on.

Thanks,
Magz

#1238079 - 07/27/09 11:04 AM Re: Ideas for the 2010 Conference and Institute? [Re: Magz]
Zeno Wood Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Hi Ryan,

Good to meet you at the convention!

I noticed there weren't any classes dealing with the furniture side of pianos (for example, polyester repair, re-finishing, etc.). (At least, I don't think there were, but it's entirely possible I didn't notice...)

Regards,
Zeno

#1238103 - 07/27/09 11:25 AM Re: Ideas for the 2010 Conference and Institute? [Re: Zeno Wood]
Bill Bremmer RPT Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Madison, WI USA
Ryan, Zeno's idea is a good one. The theme of the conference will be, as I understand it, "The Practical Technician". The institute director told me he is looking for ideas which technicians can take back with them, put into practice and make money with them.

A double or all day session on practical, hands on techniques for repairing damaged polyester and the classic methods or repairing burns, scratches and dents in traditional finishes would well serve the focus of the next institute.

#1238120 - 07/27/09 12:03 PM Re: Ideas for the 2010 Conference and Institute? [Re: Bill Bremmer RPT]
Gene Nelson Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Old Hangtown California
Ruth and Webb Phillips have done the all day poly repair class numerous times - it is usually an extra fee type presentation but well worth it as you come away with a kit that costs the same as the class fee as well as new skills. I believe that Webb will do presentations on many other aspects of finish repair.
I have always hoped to get Bruce Hoadley (Understanding Wood)to do a presentation on wood and its physical properties.
Rather than or inclusive with the typical rebuilders showcase - have one for amatures.
How about a class that teaches new techs that choose to start out with edt how to properly use an etd so that the ear developes as opposed to the eye - just in case they forget their etd one day for an appointment - or maybe a class that would give those stuck on one some practical techniques to wean themselves from it.

#1238130 - 07/27/09 12:16 PM Re: Ideas for the 2010 Conference and Institute? [Re: Zeno Wood]
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I agree Zeno! We already have one idea in the works for a traditional materials furniture repair class. Polyester repair is also an important one to offer.

Gene, I too have entertained the idea of contacting Hoadley for a presentation. Getting a big name like him at a conference can be a big draw! We'll check into that one.

I like these ideas, guys! Keep 'em comin!
www.pianova.net

#1238215 - 07/27/09 01:54 PM Re: Ideas for the 2010 Conference and Institute? [Re: rysowers]
Zeno Wood Offline

How about "Getting your hands on CA glue"? wink

#1238372 - 07/27/09 06:09 PM Re: Ideas for the 2010 Conference and Institute? [Re: Zeno Wood]
rysowers Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Its funny you mention that! I was just checking through my emails a few minutes ago and saw that Jim Coleman is offering to teach an adhesives class, and he suggested that it can be a hands on class! He has taught this class before and its title was "Bond, James Bond".
www.pianova.net

#1238418 - 07/27/09 07:20 PM Re: Ideas for the 2010 Conference and Institute? [Re: rysowers]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
At the risk of repeating myself because I mentioned this in your other thread, but, I will repeat myself anyway, classes on becoming an S Corp. Or something else from a CPA regarding operating a business. It would be nice to have some big wig come in there for that too from some corporation that might be willing to donate their time talking about expanding and building a business.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

#1238512 - 07/27/09 09:30 PM Re: Ideas for the 2010 Conference and Institute? [Re: Jerry Groot RPT]
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Kalamazoo Michigan
Not sure we can attend in Vegas...its not terribly likely, but I agree with the S-Corp. idea Jerry. We're still SP, but I'm all ears on ways to save $!

As for attracting non-Guild members, I can't think of any way you'd be able to improve on this year's exhibit hall! As for the classes, possibly offering a buy-in for a pachage of 5 classes, or something like that...I could have attended some classes on Sat/Sun this year, but it didn't appear possible to mix and match without buying the whole event pass. And, of course PTG needs to make back expenses so my suggestion might be to allow non-members to audit classes on an availability basis, i.e. members get first dibs and if there's room, the non-members can pony up the $'s and join the class.

This might not be practical, but besides that, I can't think of anything that could have made Jane, Joe and me feel more welcome than we were...it was an amazing gathering in GR!!

FWIW RPD

Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician www.actionpianoservice.com

#1238598 - 07/28/09 01:14 AM Re: Ideas for the 2010 Conference and Institute? [Re: RPD]
Anson Everitt Offline

Loc: Utah
I've never been to a convention but I plan on going to LV. I've never seen anyone(besides myself), tune an entire piano start to finish and I'd love to see someone do it. One feller could do it totally by ear. the other could use a SATIII, and still another RCT or some other ETD as and aid. Offer 3 or 4 different dudes tuning an ENTIRE piano "their" way and do it as if they were in a clients home. NO TALKING. NO FREAKIN LONG DISCOURSES ON WHY, WHAT, WHERE, WHO, HOW OR NONE OF THAT. Just tune the piano all the way through and let me watch.

Anson Everitt
PTG assoc.

p.s. i scored 3 steinways this month. one is 7'4".

#1238737 - 07/28/09 08:55 AM Re: Ideas for the 2010 Conference and Institute? [Re: RPD]
Zeno Wood Offline

Jerry,

That's a good idea - there were plenty of (useful) business related classes dealing with taxes, growing your business, etc. but I don't think there was anything that dealt with incorporation.

-Zeno

ps - Jerry, I caught a glimpse of you in Grand Rapids, sorry I didn't get a chance to introduce myself.

#1238871 - 07/28/09 12:44 PM Re: Ideas for the 2010 Conference and Institute? [Re: Zeno Wood]
Jerry Groot RPT Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Grand Rapids Michigan
Oh man Zeno, that's to bad. Next time walk up and poke me or something and say hey dude.

Normally, I would have attended a lot more business related classes but I had my son with me and wanted him to attend the regulation, voicing and other piano related classes as he is such a beginner yet although, I did manage to attend one business class regardless.

I also signed him up for a private tutoring class will Bill Bremmer on Saturday which went well for him, I thought, all things considered.
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
137 registered (Atrys, anotherscott, AndresD, ajames, 39 invisible), 1810 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75479 Members
42 Forums
156055 Topics
2291573 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Time to change teacher?
by AndresD
Today at 09:34 AM
Adjusting Sound During Restringing
by BillJZ
Today at 09:05 AM
My fingers know what my brain has forgotten
by PatrickBl
Yesterday at 08:30 PM
Fully-Rebuilt Pianos Versus New Pianos
by Paul678
Yesterday at 08:12 PM
How do you identify the melody on a sheet of music?
by Alex1
Yesterday at 07:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission