Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1239026 - 07/28/09 04:14 PM video recommendations for new teachers?
chasingrainbows Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: NJ
Hi, I have at least 6 excellent highly recommended books to assist me as I get back into teaching, thanks to many wonderful people on this site. I have limited experience with teaching piano, although I have a degree in music, and had a student (daughter of a friend) from age 8 until she entered college. Due to time constraints I couldn't take any more students at the time. Now I have the opportunity to expand my teaching, and am very concerned that I do the best job possible. I have been unable to find guides that really walk teachers through the beginning (and most important) stages of lessons. I am a visual learner, and although I love the videos provided by the Fabers, it appears that they are wonderful, short clips and are only offered for the first couple of method books. Are there any videos that provide a teacher almost step by step instruction to begin lessons? Thanks!

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1239243 - 07/28/09 09:39 PM Re: video recommendations for new teachers? [Re: chasingrainbows]
MsAdrienne Offline

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Hi Irenev!

I don't have any specific recommendations for videos, though I know there are some out there... you might try the Frances Clark Center again, as they have videos available in their online store (I might order one, too, LOL).

Do you receive the Friendship House catalog? They have a section with music teaching videos and other media... not sure if they have a lot of piano pedagogy material, but it's worth a try.

Have you considered taking piano pedagogy lessons from a local, experienced piano teacher? There might be someone who would help you organize your studio, develop a curriculum, plan lessons, etc. I have an adult student who comes for a lesson every couple of weeks and we work on her repertoire, but I also help her with all manner of teaching issues, since she also teaches beginners. I'm hoping she will chime in here, too!

There are some piano teachers out there who have YouTube channels devoted to piano teaching, but I don't know about the quality... (evaluating these might be an interesting pedagogy project)! Buyer beware, I suppose.
http://www.facebook.com/pianolex

#1239245 - 07/28/09 09:42 PM Re: video recommendations for new teachers? [Re: chasingrainbows]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Sorry, I don't know of any videos, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

But what a wonderful opportunity, for someone to produce a series of such videos, showing all aspects of setting up a studio for the first time.
Real life first lessons with a new student, maybe showing various methods. Lesson videos with students further down the curriculum.
All that is involved in setting up performances, recitals, etc., the list goes on.

This could be a fantastic resource for aspiring teachers, students, and parents, alike.

(Or maybe, I am just high on my morning coffee! )

#1239770 - 07/29/09 03:58 PM Re: video recommendations for new teachers? [Re: MsAdrienne]
chasingrainbows Offline
1000 Post Club Member

THanks MsAdrienne, I will check out F. Clarke's site again. It seems like any videos on piano teaching are geared to people who want to learn on their own how to play piano, as opposed to a training video for new teachers. I took piano pedagogy in college not that long ago, but it didn't prepare me for the millions of questions I have teaching young children.

That's a great suggestion to see if I can find a teacher willing to "train" me in getting started. Or did you mean, register in an official course? The course in my area is extremely expension - I think it's over $3000 for one course!

#1239772 - 07/29/09 04:00 PM Re: video recommendations for new teachers? [Re: R0B]
chasingrainbows Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Rob, if I were able to put some of my ideas into real inventions, I would be able to quit working! LOL. Unfortunately, all I've been able to find are videos for people who wish to learn how to play. Thanks for the reply.

#1240116 - 07/30/09 12:12 AM Re: video recommendations for new teachers? [Re: chasingrainbows]
MsAdrienne Offline

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
Irenev ~ Yes, I am guessing that there is probably an experienced teacher in your locale (or nowadays, even someone who does live online video lessons) who would be willing to work with you. You might start by checking with your local MTNA association, Guild chairperson, or Federated Music Club.

You might even find someone who would arrange for you to meet less often than once a week, depending on whether you could attend during regular school hours. My adult student who teaches piano attends during hours I am not ordinarily able to fill, so we have some flexibility in lesson frequency. It works well for both of us.
http://www.facebook.com/pianolex

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Interview with Leon Fleisher
by vlhorowitz
10/01/14 04:27 AM
by vlhorowitz
10/01/14 04:26 AM
by vlhorowitz
10/01/14 04:26 AM
First sonata
by amt976
10/01/14 03:38 AM
Is it necessary a classic base to play virtuosic jazz ?
by Nahum
10/01/14 03:18 AM
Who's Online
65 registered (Alexancho, Alux, Al LaPorte, 36251, alexbergauer, 15 invisible), 1092 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76384 Members
42 Forums
157911 Topics
2319110 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission