2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 32 of 98 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 97 98
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
oh that is so sweet Robin.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

What a great story, Robin. That groom sounds like a keeper, for sure. heart And my hat's off to you and all the other performers who can sit down and improvise a concert with no preparation! Yikes! eek

Jeff, your story of the wedding photographer made me remember my own wedding, many years ago. The photographer took what seemed like a gazillion shots of me alone, hubby alone, the two of us together, and just about every permutation of us standing with various family members and in-laws. Weeks after the ceremony when she sent us the proofs, I was surprised to see that there was a much smaller number of shots of me alone compared to hubby et al, and certainly MUCH fewer than I remembered standing around for. It finally occurred to me that the photographer--bless her heart--had undertaken a prescreening of the shots and held back any unflattering shots of me with eyes closed, stomach not held in, etc. And apparently there was a large number of such shots, but I'm just as happy to go the rest of my life without having seen them. laugh

B
BDB Offline
B
That groom sounds like a keeper, for sure.

One always hopes that marriage is not catch and release!

Semipro Tech
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"Today in Wedding Jeopardy History:"

September 15, 971 AD (old calendar)- St. Ludmilla suffers an untimely decease when her mother-in-law wrings her neck, over a difference of opinion about her influence over grandson, King Wenceslaus.

No comment on this one, except that when you hear, "But Grandma said I could," be extra-careful of your neck.

And, "Today in Wedding Future History:"

September 15, 1984: The birthday of Prince Harry of Wales. Still single, and no mother-in-law to worry about.

Clef

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Monica, love the photographer story!

That King Wenceslaus was obviously a lady killer, Jeff!

I attended the wedding of a friend on Sunday. I have come to the conclusion that playing a three hour wedding gig is MUCH easier than attending one of these eight hour social marathons. I found myself longing for a piano, a corner, and an escape from the festivities.

Also, when you play the gig you don't have to bring a present.

There were no weddings booked at the castle on September 11---the only Saturday in recent memory that was was nuptial-free and rightfully so.

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
Available June 18th, 2021--Piano Girl Playbook: Notes on a Musical Life
Also by RMG: Piano Girl, A Memoir; Waltz of the Asparagus People; Rhythm; Manhattan Roadtrip
Music by RMG available on all platforms
RMG is a Steinway Artist
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Hi Everyone!

Wedding fever continues here in Germany. Tonight is an odd Monday evening wedding soirée. Love Monday night gigs. Wish I had more of them.

Good news. I write lyrics for an amazing Brazilian jazz singer named Joyce Moreno. A prolific writer, and excellent guitarist, she is often called the Joni Mitchell of Brazil. She's in her sixties and sings with one of those effortless Brazilian voices that makes everyone go AHHHHH. She writes her own lyrics in Portuguese but asked me several years ago to write two original English lyrics for her, for her newest album, which is called Slow Music.

Guess what? "Slow Music" one of the five nominees for a Latin Grammy (!) in the Best Brazilian Album category. My lyrics are on two tracks---the title track "Slow Music," and "Convince me" (below) which I wrote when I was in the middle of a crazy wedding season a while back. Rest of the CD is in Portuguese.

So here you go. Maybe this will become a new wedding favorite, for those marrying in Bahia.

Convince Me
©2009 Robin Meloy Goldsby
Reprinted with the permission of Bass Lion Publishing

Love is inconvenient;
It’s a scene I should avoid,
I’ve been trampled down by romance,
I’ve been hurt; I’ve been annoyed,
Please give me a reason to jump back into the void,
Convince me I should fall in love with you.

Passion’s a distraction,
Worth a fraction of the cost,
Just because there’s an attraction,
Doesn’t mean the stars are crossed,
Look into my eyes before my common sense is lost,

Too chaotic, too hypnotic,
An exotic silent race,
I’m resisting, you’re insisting,
I’ll survive your next embrace.

Love is too quixotic,
An erotic treasure chest,
Perhaps I should leave town,
And give my heart a needed rest,
Or I could simply kiss you,
Put my judgment to the test,
Convince me I should fall in love with you . . .

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
Also by RMG: Piano Girl, A Memoir; Waltz of the Asparagus People; Rhythm; Manhattan Roadtrip
RMG is a Steinway Artist

Oh, that song sure resonates with this middle-aged woman's heart who didn't find (and marry) her hubby until her 30s and after a long string of disappointing relationships... Thanks, Robin! I'll be rooting for the album to win the Grammy. thumb

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Hmm... like a Tom Waites lyric with a high-dose estrogen drip. But that's ok, I like Tom Waites, and you certainly deserve the recognition. All that alliteration will come across in the song, even if the listeners don't understand English. There's your international cachet.

Brazil--- not so shabby, either; long the home of some of music's finest. Congratulations on the nomination. Have you picked out what you're going to wear to the awards? No? Still thinking it over, then.

Of course, what better excuse to go shopping when you get there...

Clef

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Thanks, Monica and Jeff!

The awards ceremony is in (of all p[laces) Las Vegas in November. I'm just the lowly writer, not the nominated artist, so I doubt I'll be attending. Plus it's right in the middle of my busy holiday season. Besides, I looked at a video of last year's awards, and trust me, I have NOTHING to wear that's snazzy enough for the Latin Grammy Awards. Sequins! Fringe! Ruffles! Plunging necklines! I'd look like a nun in one of my castle outfits.

I went to Brazil on my honeymoon. Only spent two weeks and I've been trying to get back there ever since. I guess this recording is a way of doing that, even if it's just in my mind.

BTW. just heard that the Liberace Museum in Las Vegas is closing. Now there's a reason to get there fast! What a character. My mom once met him at a charity ball. He was wearing an ermine cape.

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
RMG is a Steinway Artist
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A nun? No, Robin. Tell that to someone else.

Besides, nuns don't get themselves up like they used to (I used to live next-door to a real one)... though I suppose that attire for the Latin Grammy awards does rise to a different standard.

Interestingly, when I think of Brazilian fashion wear, I think of those beautiful prints, and the sophisticated and flattering drama of cut. My thinking may be somewhat outdated, I admit. But if you want to talk about outdated, let's talk ermine capes--- can you imagine the fuss PETA would make.

I suppose the announced closing of the Liberace museum might motivate me to fire up the retro-rockets and escape from the gravity well. Since I tore up my knee I haven't done much of that sort of thing, but such fall color as California has, exists in the transmontane river valleys across the Sierra scarp. I've meant to go at just this time of year for a long time. And, the oldest living thing on earth is right on the way--- I could drop in. You're probably thinking I mean the Bristlecone Pine stands in the White Mountains (and I do), but even older are the more humble Creosote Bush rings which have survived as individual, genetically-identical plants for over 10,000 years.

An acquired taste--- I admit it. Not much to look at, many would say.

But then... dragging across two very large Western states to visit a shabby strip-mall on the backside of Las Vegas (an acquired taste of its own)... and then back. Oh, I don't know.

I could picture a museum of Las Vegas memorabilia being a big attraction--- showgirl's outfits, gangsters, the various acts and venues that have come and gone, videos of the blowing up of some of the big hotels to make way for even bigger ones, the photos of people watching the test-firing of nuclear bombs which were visible from Las Vegas, the building of the big dam across the Colorado. Lots of material there. Why, slot machines and gambling devices could have a wing of their own. That junkyard that has all the big electric signs which have been replaced--- that has considerable impact, all by itself.

Ok, so I've strayed from the subject of weddings (although it's quite an industry in Las Vegas). Every bolt is not going to hit the bulls-eye.

On the whole, if I were going to make a trans-atlantic flight to attend an awards ceremony, I'd probably rather go to Rio.

Clef

Closing the Liberace museum?? shocked
I went to it once; a setting and building too small and ordinary for the extravagance of its honoree, but still enjoyable, and a decent look into a unique cultural phenomenon.

Terry@cincyrockers.com
www.theplayerpianoshop.com
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Piano Girl RMG

Convince me I should fall in love with you . . .

That is awesome. You really have a gift.

Now, don't take this the wrong way.

When I was reading it, another song popped into my head, because the last lines match:

Release me, and let.......me love again!

i hope hope hope it isn't the same tune!

gotta go practice
P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Funny, Tim! No, not the same tune at all. Joyce wrote the music, so no chance of that happening.

Elecmuse3, wow, you actually went to the Liberace Museum! Cool.

Jeff, if I ever get to the West Coast, YOU are going to be my nature guide. Oh my, the things you know.

I will bet that Liberace played his share of weddings, but I'll also bet he angered some brides by wearing outfits that upstaged them.

Monday's wedding was a gay wedding. Very nice!

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
RMG is a Steinway Artist
somewhere i have a Best of Liberace CD... got it at a garage sale.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I saw him at Radio City Music Hall in the 80s.. quite a spectacle, but I love his playing. My teacher was the regular organist there at the time.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Took a quick look-up on B&N--- 16 different Liberace CDs, DVDs, and multi-disc collections still in print. In theory, at least; I find they list many things which they are not able to fulfill if I actually order them.

Still, it's a respectable offering, after all this time.

I can't say I personally remember any of his performances, except for a YouTube clip of him performing with Phyllis Diller--- she on harpsichord. She is (if I remember right) a Curtis graduate... maybe I have the school wrong, but she is a more serious musician than most know.

As for that performance, well... pure ham, I'm afraid. But I guess it worked for the B&W TV of the era. You have to give it some punch to put it across, even some Punch and Judy.

Clef

P
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Bad wedding karma this weekend:

Played the cocktail party for a wedding last night. A small group, maybe twenty people or so. They were nice, but spent the entire time with a commando photographer who shouted orders at them about posing. I guess that photographers have to take charge to get the shots they want, but this was a little extreme.

The result was less like an elegant cocktail party and more like playing for a military drill.

But what could I do? The bride had hired the photographer, so it wasn't my job to tell him to chill out. Not a great situation, but I can deal with an hour of just about anything.

The wedding party for tonight balked at my price (I have a two hour minimum, even if I only play for twenty minutes) and decided to go with a "friend" who plays a little piano. Fine. These people were difficult right from the beginning, so aside from the paycheck, I'm not really missing much.

So wish me well, my friends—I have a Saturday night OFF!

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
RMG is a Steinway Artist
B
BDB Offline
B
I have Saturday night off, too. Good thing, because I have an 8:30 am tuning for a 11:00 am show!

Semipro Tech
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Well... people have been known to perform the Wedding March on paper-and-comb and kazoo at a pinch.

I don't know that anyone would want to listen to as much as twenty minutes of it, let alone two hours. But for tonal variety, the recessional could be scored for Marine Band harmonica and didgeridoo.

Tell me, at least, that you didn't give them your demo CD. The Special Edition.

Clef

Originally Posted by Piano Girl RMG

So wish me well, my friends—I have a Saturday night OFF!

Ooh! If you are stuck for ideas, you can always do what our family does on Saturday nights: Enter into spirited debate and negotiations regarding what DVD to rent (it can be hard to find the perfect action movie/post-apocalyptic sci-fi thriller/romantic comedy/Spongebob epic combination to please all four of us), change into jammies, and crowd into the family room to watch the movie, with the highlight being the ice cream break halfway through. We're such a wild and crazy group. wink

Page 32 of 98 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 97 98

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission