Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1219053 - 06/18/09 09:31 AM 1926 Knabe Ampico Newbie Questions
jbcobbs Offline

I just purchased a 1926 Knabe Ampico Baby Grand Ser # 99762. The piano seems to work great and the body is in great shape. The player end of things is not working. Everything is pumping away but visually the keys only slightly depress and ultimately making no sound. Ive read previous posts about not bothering to fix these but I was wondering if there were any simple troubleshooting steps that I can take to try and Identify problems. The piano had been refurbished at some point, all the tubes look fairly new. Some of the smaller tubes were not plugged in, possibly dislodged from the move maybe? It seems like I put them back in the logical place but there is one tube that Im unsure about. Its got a splitter in it and There were some male ends that they fit into but all the other tubes going into the same area dont have splitters.

#1220047 - 06/20/09 11:48 AM Re: 1926 Knabe Ampico Newbie Questions [Re: jbcobbs]
Greg Seagraves Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, GA
If it was rebuilt in the 70s there are many components that could have deterioated by now. You need to have a player man look at it.

#1220138 - 06/20/09 03:28 PM Re: 1926 Knabe Ampico Newbie Questions [Re: Greg Seagraves]
Eric J Shoemaker Offline

Undoubtedly and starting with, the tubing connections are wrong. Doesn't matter how close you think you are, if one hose is misrouted it will consequently throw off everything else after the first incorrect connection! You will get nowhere fast without a schematic and test roll to get the plumbing in the proper place. Now, if everything else is in tact ( only if hell will freeze up) it should play perfectly. Go to MMD.org site and look up "techical" then click on Ampico trackerbar scale etc etc.
This is potentially one hell of a great reproducing piano. But very complicated.

#1220293 - 06/20/09 10:16 PM Re: 1926 Knabe Ampico Newbie Questions [Re: Eric J Shoemaker]
jbcobbs Offline

Yea - Im pretty sure there are some things out of place. The tubes themselves from an unprofessionals point of view look like they are all in great shape. The bellows I really dont know what a deteriorated one would look like but they look like there are no holes or anything. Eric, mmd.org looks defunct, do you have another link?

#1227426 - 07/05/09 04:23 PM Re: 1926 Knabe Ampico Newbie Questions [Re: jbcobbs]
pianolamike Offline

Loc: England / France.
Hello. Did you get any further with your Ampico problem? I've only just seen this topic. I would suggest, having owned and restored several Ampicos, that if the keys are trying to move but no notes are sounding then the tubing cannot be far from correct. Try putting a roll on to play, make sure that all four spoolbox switches are in the correct position (all pointing away from the piano), then press down both of the black expression buttons next to the motor switch. Does the piano then play? Knabe Ampico grands are very good instruments, and you shouldn't give up! Mike.

#1231312 - 07/14/09 08:39 AM Re: 1926 Knabe Ampico Newbie Questions [Re: pianolamike]
conn650 Offline

Loc: CNY
Hi All -new here. Knabe baby grand with an Ampico A ser. # 101784.Just assesing the last rebuild and replacing the celluloid governor slide plate that has deteriorated. Looks like some of the expression tubing is not conected corectly. Anyone have a tubing schematic ? What is the best way to get a air-tite seal on the take-up spool rewind hole ?
Thanks Dale

#1232979 - 07/17/09 02:20 PM Re: 1926 Knabe Ampico Newbie Questions [Re: conn650]
Greg Seagraves Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, GA
Remove the take up spool and take the bearing out of the left end and take the series on leaher gaskets out. If they are in decent shape, clean them and then apply a thin coat of petroleum jelly to each one before reinstalling.
Clean the bearing in mineral spirits.
Dont forget to replace the leather piece on the takeup spool that the roll covers up.

#1236639 - 07/24/09 03:37 PM Re: 1926 Knabe Ampico Newbie Questions [Re: pianolamike]
jbcobbs Offline

Thanks for the advice Mike. When I take your suggestions, The keys go down a little more but still not enough to make sound. I went ahead and illustrated problems or issues i can see visually and posted it here. http://www.cobbsfriedman.com/piano.jpg - Let me know if anyone has any ideas. Thanks.

#1239405 - 07/29/09 02:48 AM Re: 1926 Knabe Ampico Newbie Questions [Re: jbcobbs]
Grandpianoman Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Hi jbcobbs,

I just read your post here.....usually in a case like this, you are going to have to get the problems assessed by a player piano tech. For example, if the stack and valves have never been rebuilt, you are going to have many small air leaks, so it will not matter IF you could get the tubing corrected, and that's not including the expression pneumatics and pump.......as the leaks in the stack and the valves will never allow it to play properly let alone the other parts I mentioned. Sorry to be so negative, but this happens a lot with these old pneumatic players.

I am betting that you will need a complete rebuild of the player system to get it to operate correctly, just a guess though.

I have read folks trying to do the rebuild themselves...if you are mechanically inclined, you might be able to do it....a good book for that is by Art Reblitz called "Player Piano Servicing and Rebuilding."

If you do decide on a tech to take a look at it, contact the AMICA folks, as they may be able to recommend some techs in your area. www.amica.org

What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
169 registered (accordeur, ADWyatt, 36251, 43 invisible), 1728 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74223 Members
42 Forums
153543 Topics
2250234 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha U3FS
by Piotr Dydycz
Today at 10:34 AM
Uneven key balance
by Beemer
Today at 09:25 AM
Antique Piano Shop from TN
by IPDRPT
Today at 08:52 AM
Piano song requests?
by kent2012
Today at 08:19 AM
Requests?
by kent2012
Today at 08:06 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission