2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (ChickenBrother, Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, CharlesXX, Animisha, bobrunyan, 13 invisible), 1,961 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Apart from all the great suggestions already posted, would it be out of the question, to encourage the audience to sing along to a couple of really well known standards?

Entertainment in retirement homes, is often a passive activity for the residents.
I am sure they would love to be part of the show, themselves.

Rob
Moonriver.
Where My Caravan Has Rested.
Oh Danny Boy.
Send in the Clowns.

Favorites of my 80-year-old mom (not in the rest home, but enjoys me playing).

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by J Cortese
The youngest people in today's old folks home are likely to have been BORN in the 20s and 30s, so the top-10 of those decades might be a little early for them. Try the 40s and work upward. Perry Como, Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra. That sort of thing.

Good point about the age thing. However, tunes didn't go out of style quite so quickly, so they probably know most of them.

Actually WWII era tunes and even early 50's should be okay - before R&R. My mom loved Sinatra (she was born 1919) so that might help a bit.

Most of that era listened to Arthur Godfrey on the radio, and later TV. Know who he was?

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA

I volunteer at a local assisted living facility, and I play from a collection of sheet music my aunt, who would have been in her late 90s, gave me when I was a teenager. Tunes include "Now Is the Hour," "My Buddy," "Among My Souvenirs," "My Dream Memory," "Garden of Dreams," and "Where Is the Song of Songs For Me?". Interestingly, just about all of the sheets include ukulele tunings and chord diagrams -- and the uke was Arthur Godfrey's instrument. I remember him being on TV when I was a little kid. A VERY little kid. :0)

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
The percentage of people in a nursing home who listen to classical music is about the same as those not in a music home - those who play it plus one more.

They will recognize show tunes and, maybe, some light classical transcriptions. None of them have seen Wicked or Cats, all of them can sing most of My Fair Lady and South Pacific. They will know Sousa marches, ballads, etc. They will know String of Pearls, Begin the Beguine, SingSingSing, In the Mood.

And, although I've seen it done, I would avoid "I'll be Home for Christmas, if Only in my Dreams."

gotta go practice
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
This thread makes me wonder...

What will future generations be telling people to play for US in OUR retirement homes?? [Linked Image]

It is better to be kind than to be right.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.
J
J
If they know what's good for them, there'd better be lots of Queen, Journey, and Foreigner in my nursing home. :-)

If there is a banner ad in this post, please be advised that the owners of the company traffic in illegal drugs and have been caught in compromising positions with farm animals.
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Ebony and Ivory
What will future generations be telling people to play for US in OUR retirement homes?? [Linked Image]
That is a truly scary thought, E&I. I can see myself trapped in a crowded room with music playing that I loathe, and unable to escape.
Wait, that already happens to me, in the supermarket! smile

Du holde Kunst...
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by J Cortese
If they know what's good for them, there'd better be lots of Queen, Journey, and Foreigner in my nursing home. :-)
lol. That would be awesome!

Originally Posted by currawong
I can see myself trapped in a crowded room with music playing that I loathe, and unable to escape. Wait, that already happens to me, in the supermarket! smile

Happens to me too, in my HOUSE! wink

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Minniemay
I would check out the condition of the piano and choose what you think would sound best. There's not much worse than listening to either Debussy or Rachmaninoff on a piece of tin instrument.

Also, make sure the teacher or nursing home has it tuned if it needs it.

Ah.........yes and no.

Yes, because any time you can you should check out the equipment ahead of time. It's simple professionalism, part of giving the best performance possible.

But there's a subtle point here. Recitals are a learning experience for the student, a culminating experience that forces effort into preparation, that teaches performance under pressure, etc. All these are focused on the student. They largely neglect the audience.

This isn't a recital, it's a gig. The mental focus must change. You inspect the piano not so you can sound good, but so you can make the audience happy. You are not an artist on a pedestal, you are hired help whose sole goal is to make a customer satisfied.

There's not much worse than listening to either Debussy or Rachmaninoff on a piece of tin instrument.

LOL! Very true. But also accept that for the average person, Debussy on a Steinway or Bechstein isn't any better. Though if the piano is truly a honkytonk piece of junk, you're going to have trouble making most classical stuff sound good.

But no problem making beer barrel polka sound good. Etc.

gotta go practice
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I wouldn't even bother to check the piano. They don't have any money in those places and probably can't do anything about it anyway. However, here is a difference between an assisted living facility (they have money) and a retirement (nursing) home (they don't).

These folks are going to love anything people play. I'm sure none of them are expecting concert level performances. It's good practice for every body and you make people happy at the same time. smile

Last time my kiddies played in a retirement home, there was a stuck key. It was horrible for the kids, but they all learned how to play around it. That is a helpful lesson that they wouldn't have gotten any other way. The students handled it well, and no one in the audience even seemed to have noticed.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission