Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1239676 - 07/29/09 01:44 PM Selecting pieces for retirement home mini-recital
verania5 Offline

Loc: Michigan
This is the first time my instructor has organized this (I'd like to think I had a small part in pushing him towards this). In September the more advanced adult students (probably 4-5) are playing at the retirement home and we get to choose 3-5 pieces of our own to play. I've not done anything beyond the one-and-done recitals, so I'd like to hear what you think could be a good programme out of the two "tracks" below.

A. The "calm down" set:
Dawn from "Pride and Prejudice" 05 movie.
Brahms Intermezzo op 118 no. 2
Debussy Clair de Lune

B. The "ambitious but why not" set:
Rachmaninov Prelude Op. 3 no. 2 in C# minor
Chopin Nocturne op 9 no. 2
Brahms Rhapsody op 79 no. 2

If you were a retiree what would you prefer to hear?

PS - is this the right forum or should I move it to ABF?

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1239699 - 07/29/09 02:23 PM Re: Selecting pieces for retirement home mini-recital [Re: verania5]
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minnesota
Just don't play anything too slow, or you'll have to compete with all the snoring smile smile

Seriously, no matter what you play, they will enjoy it. I would try at least one thing that's "non-traditional" just cuz they're old doesn't mean they want all classics. IMO.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.

#1239704 - 07/29/09 02:28 PM Re: Selecting pieces for retirement home mini-recital [Re: Ebony and Ivory]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
I would check out the condition of the piano and choose what you think would sound best. There's not much worse than listening to either Debussy or Rachmaninoff on a piece of tin instrument.

Also, make sure the teacher or nursing home has it tuned if it needs it.

#1239706 - 07/29/09 02:33 PM Re: Selecting pieces for retirement home mini-recital [Re: Minniemay]
verania5 Offline

Minniemay I haven't even thought about that - I'll bring that up with my instructor - maybe we can all go there to get a "feel" for the piano. It could just be a spinet (ack!).

Ebony - good point! A number of these folks probably suffer from hard-of-hearing issues - so nothing with a lot of ppp.

#1239721 - 07/29/09 02:52 PM Re: Selecting pieces for retirement home mini-recital [Re: verania5]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
I have a retirement home gig coming up, and the activities director said they would ask me to play "You Are My Sunshine." That's a pretty easy piece to do by ear, or find easy sheet music to use, so maybe something like that as your "encore" would go over well.

Cathy

#1239734 - 07/29/09 03:13 PM Re: Selecting pieces for retirement home mini-recital [Re: jotur]
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Or it could be a spinet upright that hasn't been tuned in 10 years. I did a nursing home gig a little while ago, playing for some vocalists. One of the pieces was a Debussy song that had solid chords spanning an octave in the upper register of the piano. It was horrible with the out of tune piano. Another piece the vocalist chose had a refrain that included the words "I'd rather die....", yikes!

#1239740 - 07/29/09 03:20 PM Re: Selecting pieces for retirement home mini-recital [Re: Arghhh]
verania5 Offline

Originally Posted By: Arghhh
Another piece the vocalist chose had a refrain that included the words "I'd rather die....", yikes!

LOL. What a riot!

#1239745 - 07/29/09 03:26 PM Re: Selecting pieces for retirement home mini-recital [Re: verania5]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
First, if you're not used to performing, I would definately encourage you to go with an easier program. Less to fret about, less to get nerves worked up about.

Secondly, your audience will appreciate hearing you regardless of what you play. The last time I played at a nursing home, when my own folks were there, incidentally, I just grabbed a book of intermediate level pieces and played for an hour or so. Even the staff stopped to listen and brought in others.

I love the "Sunshine" suggestion. Since you have the time, do a little research into the "top 20" from the 1920s and pick a few to play. Don't have to be memorized. Your audience will be thrilled.

#1239753 - 07/29/09 03:35 PM Re: Selecting pieces for retirement home mini-recital [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Jennifer Eklund Offline

Loc: SoCal
I would also lean towards the "calmer" selections. Retirement home pianos are not usually the best so be prepared for anything!

I used to play at retirement homes when I was a kid -- I had a bunch of books of old 1920s, 30s, 40s tunes. The people loved hearing songs that they grew up with and often enjoyed sharing stories from their lives as they related to this nostalgic music. I think it would be great if you could mix in some of these popular standards in with your classical repertoire.

Have fun!

~Jennifer Eklund

Piano Pronto Music Books: www.pianopronto.com

BA in Piano/MA Musicology

#1239755 - 07/29/09 03:36 PM Re: Selecting pieces for retirement home mini-recital [Re: John v.d.Brook]
verania5 Offline

Thanks for the suggestions Jennifer, jotur and John. Adding familiar tunes to the lineup is a good idea.

#1239758 - 07/29/09 03:41 PM Re: Selecting pieces for retirement home mini-recital [Re: Jennifer Eklund]
ProdigalPianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix Metro, AZ
I have lots of experience playing for people who are not necessarily fans of classical piano music (and more than a few people who would say they actively dislike it).

If you are really interested in having it be an enjoyable experience for the audience rather than a simulation of a recital, I would suggest only playing classical pieces from what you would consider a "greatest hits" list. Stuff that people will recognize (even if only vaguely) is good. First movement of the Moonlight, Fur Elise, Debussy...those are good.

Anything they would think of as "having to sit through" ... not so good. This is, of course, assuming that the retirement home is not the type with a "classical music performances series" and residents who are classical aficionados (hey, it could happen, but not where I grew up wink ).

Definitely agree that grabbing an intermediate level book of "greatest hits of the 20's - 40's" and taking turns playing would be the most likely to get the biggest response.

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.

#1239765 - 07/29/09 03:51 PM Re: Selecting pieces for retirement home mini-recital [Re: ProdigalPianist]
verania5 Offline

Prodigal - I've not even considered that there are people who do not passionately LOVE classical piano repertoire wink

Would Tori Amos and Sarah McLachlan be considered too modern for retirees?

#1239771 - 07/29/09 04:00 PM Re: Selecting pieces for retirement home mini-recital [Re: verania5]
Piano Girl RMG Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
Hi Verania,

Play what you love, but yes, check out the piano first.

My advice? Talk to the audience. Tell a little story, maybe just a sentence or two, longer if you'd like, about WHY you've chosen the piece. Maybe something about the composer, or (even better) something about why you relate to the piece, and why it moves you.

It's my experience that you can get people to listen to almost anything if you help them connect to it in some personal way.

Good luck!
RHYTHM: A Novel
RMG is a Steinway Artist

#1239774 - 07/29/09 04:05 PM Re: Selecting pieces for retirement home mini-recital [Re: verania5]
ProdigalPianist Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix Metro, AZ
Originally Posted By: verania5
Prodigal - I've not even considered that there are people who do not passionately LOVE classical piano repertoire wink

Would Tori Amos and Sarah McLachlan be considered too modern for retirees?

My poor father grudgingly went to years of piano recitals and hated every single minute of it. He never SAID that, but it was pretty obvious that going to one of my recitals was not looked on with the enthusiasm that going to one of my brother's games was. smile I would like to think he did like the parts where I played, but I think that's hoping for too much. wink

I don't know if those would be "too modern" ...if you picked the right pieces I think they'd like them but there is something special about songs and pieces they *recognize*.

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.

#1239793 - 07/29/09 04:30 PM Re: Selecting pieces for retirement home mini-recital [Re: ProdigalPianist]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

#1239799 - 07/29/09 04:37 PM Re: Selecting pieces for retirement home mini-recital [Re: John v.d.Brook]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Way, way off topic, here is an interesting article on fake books.

#1239803 - 07/29/09 04:41 PM Re: Selecting pieces for retirement home mini-recital [Re: John v.d.Brook]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Okay, last entry! Take a look at this. Perfect for any retirement home gig.

#1239810 - 07/29/09 04:45 PM Re: Selecting pieces for retirement home mini-recital [Re: John v.d.Brook]
verania5 Offline

Originally Posted By: John v.d.Brook
Way, way off topic, here is an interesting article on fake books.

Wow - I never knew there was such a dramatic story behind the Fake Books. 5000 arrests! I will check out the book John. Thanks.

#1239905 - 07/29/09 06:28 PM Re: Selecting pieces for retirement home mini-recital [Re: verania5]
J Cortese Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I don't think they'd recognize Tori; they would probably like McLachlan's "Angel" as long as they don't know the words. :-) (Bit of a downer in a retirement home, I think.) Try some slower Simon & Garfunkel as well. "Bridge" is always a nice one. Maybe some Sam Cooke, like "Cupid" or "You Send Me." Everyone likes Sam Cooke. :-)

The youngest people in today's old folks home are likely to have been BORN in the 20s and 30s, so the top-10 of those decades might be a little early for them. Try the 40s and work upward. Perry Como, Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra. That sort of thing.

And depending on where they come from, remember that these people are two generations closer to immigrant ancestors. A polka or a nicely played "O Sole Mio" or "Danny Boy" might go over REALLY WELL. My mom can't even hear "O Sole Mio" without tearing up.

Edited by J Cortese (07/29/09 06:32 PM)

#1239954 - 07/29/09 07:09 PM Re: Selecting pieces for retirement home mini-recital [Re: J Cortese]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Originally Posted By: J Cortese
And depending on where they come from, remember that these people are two generations closer to immigrant ancestors. A polka or a nicely played "O Sole Mio" or "Danny Boy" might go over REALLY WELL. My mom can't even hear "O Sole Mio" without tearing up.

Yes. I was also told to expect a request for "De Colores". That's sort of the NM Hispanic equivalent of "You Are My Sunshine". smile

Cathy

#1240013 - 07/29/09 08:38 PM Re: Selecting pieces for retirement home mini-recital [Re: jotur]
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Australia
Apart from all the great suggestions already posted, would it be out of the question, to encourage the audience to sing along to a couple of really well known standards?

Entertainment in retirement homes, is often a passive activity for the residents.
I am sure they would love to be part of the show, themselves.

#1240020 - 07/29/09 08:53 PM Re: Selecting pieces for retirement home mini-recital [Re: R0B]
Susan K. Offline

Loc: Central California
Moonriver.
Where My Caravan Has Rested.
Oh Danny Boy.
Send in the Clowns.

Favorites of my 80-year-old mom (not in the rest home, but enjoys me playing).

#1240053 - 07/29/09 10:15 PM Re: Selecting pieces for retirement home mini-recital [Re: J Cortese]
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member

The youngest people in today's old folks home are likely to have been BORN in the 20s and 30s, so the top-10 of those decades might be a little early for them. Try the 40s and work upward. Perry Como, Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra. That sort of thing.

Good point about the age thing. However, tunes didn't go out of style quite so quickly, so they probably know most of them.

Actually WWII era tunes and even early 50's should be okay - before R&R. My mom loved Sinatra (she was born 1919) so that might help a bit.

Most of that era listened to Arthur Godfrey on the radio, and later TV. Know who he was?

#1241263 - 07/31/09 09:32 PM Re: Selecting pieces for retirement home mini-recital [Re: John v.d.Brook]
Bachrocks Offline

Loc: New England

I volunteer at a local assisted living facility, and I play from a collection of sheet music my aunt, who would have been in her late 90s, gave me when I was a teenager. Tunes include "Now Is the Hour," "My Buddy," "Among My Souvenirs," "My Dream Memory," "Garden of Dreams," and "Where Is the Song of Songs For Me?". Interestingly, just about all of the sheets include ukulele tunings and chord diagrams -- and the uke was Arthur Godfrey's instrument. I remember him being on TV when I was a little kid. A VERY little kid. :0)

#1241410 - 08/01/09 08:09 AM Re: Selecting pieces for retirement home mini-recital [Re: verania5]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
The percentage of people in a nursing home who listen to classical music is about the same as those not in a music home - those who play it plus one more.

They will recognize show tunes and, maybe, some light classical transcriptions. None of them have seen Wicked or Cats, all of them can sing most of My Fair Lady and South Pacific. They will know Sousa marches, ballads, etc. They will know String of Pearls, Begin the Beguine, SingSingSing, In the Mood.

And, although I've seen it done, I would avoid "I'll be Home for Christmas, if Only in my Dreams."

#1241428 - 08/01/09 09:21 AM Re: Selecting pieces for retirement home mini-recital [Re: TimR]
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member

This thread makes me wonder...

What will future generations be telling people to play for US in OUR retirement homes??

#1241557 - 08/01/09 01:45 PM Re: Selecting pieces for retirement home mini-recital [Re: Ebony and Ivory]
J Cortese Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
If they know what's good for them, there'd better be lots of Queen, Journey, and Foreigner in my nursing home. :-)

#1241567 - 08/01/09 01:55 PM Re: Selecting pieces for retirement home mini-recital [Re: Ebony and Ivory]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Originally Posted By: Ebony and Ivory
What will future generations be telling people to play for US in OUR retirement homes??
That is a truly scary thought, E&I. I can see myself trapped in a crowded room with music playing that I loathe, and unable to escape.
Wait, that already happens to me, in the supermarket! smile

#1241569 - 08/01/09 01:57 PM Re: Selecting pieces for retirement home mini-recital [Re: currawong]
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member

If they know what's good for them, there'd better be lots of Queen, Journey, and Foreigner in my nursing home. :-)
lol. That would be awesome!

Originally Posted By: currawong
I can see myself trapped in a crowded room with music playing that I loathe, and unable to escape. Wait, that already happens to me, in the supermarket! smile

Happens to me too, in my HOUSE! wink

#1241636 - 08/01/09 03:13 PM Re: Selecting pieces for retirement home mini-recital [Re: Minniemay]
TimR Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Originally Posted By: Minniemay
I would check out the condition of the piano and choose what you think would sound best. There's not much worse than listening to either Debussy or Rachmaninoff on a piece of tin instrument.

Also, make sure the teacher or nursing home has it tuned if it needs it.

Ah.........yes and no.

Yes, because any time you can you should check out the equipment ahead of time. It's simple professionalism, part of giving the best performance possible.

But there's a subtle point here. Recitals are a learning experience for the student, a culminating experience that forces effort into preparation, that teaches performance under pressure, etc. All these are focused on the student. They largely neglect the audience.

This isn't a recital, it's a gig. The mental focus must change. You inspect the piano not so you can sound good, but so you can make the audience happy. You are not an artist on a pedestal, you are hired help whose sole goal is to make a customer satisfied.

Quote:
There's not much worse than listening to either Debussy or Rachmaninoff on a piece of tin instrument.

LOL! Very true. But also accept that for the average person, Debussy on a Steinway or Bechstein isn't any better. Though if the piano is truly a honkytonk piece of junk, you're going to have trouble making most classical stuff sound good.

But no problem making beer barrel polka sound good. Etc.

#1241650 - 08/01/09 03:45 PM Re: Selecting pieces for retirement home mini-recital [Re: TimR]
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I wouldn't even bother to check the piano. They don't have any money in those places and probably can't do anything about it anyway. However, here is a difference between an assisted living facility (they have money) and a retirement (nursing) home (they don't).

These folks are going to love anything people play. I'm sure none of them are expecting concert level performances. It's good practice for every body and you make people happy at the same time. smile

Last time my kiddies played in a retirement home, there was a stuck key. It was horrible for the kids, but they all learned how to play around it. That is a helpful lesson that they wouldn't have gotten any other way. The students handled it well, and no one in the audience even seemed to have noticed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
145 registered (ajames, accordeur, Alex1, A Guy, 36251, 40 invisible), 1788 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75584 Members
42 Forums
156284 Topics
2295240 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Music competitions are rife with corruption says JLWebbr
by pianoloverus
32 minutes 57 seconds ago
Midi support removed from OS X?
by fizikisto
42 minutes 37 seconds ago
Some interesting finds in a museum visit today!
by LarryShone
Today at 01:06 PM
Help with a Bluthner
by Classicalist
Today at 12:54 PM
Yamaha DGX650 - looking for an alternative! Need advice
by Karinioza
Today at 11:51 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission