Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1238102 - 07/27/09 11:24 AM What advice would you give yourself ...
Astra Offline

Loc: Slovenia
... if you could go back?

The question is directed to non-classical (pop, rock, blues, jazz) pianists, who already have some experience.

So, if you could go back to any point in the past, what would you advise yourself and why?

Piano & Music Accessories
#1238114 - 07/27/09 11:52 AM Re: What advice would you give yourself ... [Re: Astra]
knotty Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
I'd work with the right teacher right away. Save myself some time.

#1238211 - 07/27/09 01:51 PM Re: What advice would you give yourself ... [Re: knotty]
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'd probably go to different school for music. I never had any problems with injury when I was in high school, and in the first semester of college I picked up a lot of bad habits and I was starting to have all sorts of injury problem within 6 months. Looking back the instruction I was getting was horrible, but I didn't know any better.. and it took me years to undo the damage.

Studying with a good teacher is important.. the problem is that it's really hard to know when you are younger. But I can tell you this much.. NEVER study with a teacher who encourages you to play with excess tension.. or even pain.

#1238430 - 07/27/09 07:35 PM Re: What advice would you give yourself ... [Re: etcetra]
dave solazzo Offline

Loc: syracuse ny
that's a great question! but that's also an easy one for me to answer.

if i could do it all over again i would not have gone to music school at all. i would have gotten a law degree or some other more marketable degree.

i was lucky because my father is a good jazz bassist; he plays the piano too. he stated me off when i was very young, showing me tunes and teaching me how to improvise. he turned me on to oscar and bill evans and i was listening to their records when i was 12 years old. by the time i was 18 i could already play. in fact, i had already been playing gigs for 2 or 3 years.

i went to music school right out of high school because i didnt know what else to do with myself. i saw all my friends going and i just figured i'd go too. but i dont think it was the best decision for me. because i knew, even at that time, that i didn't want to be a high school band director or public school music teacher. i wanted to be a performer. and obviously you don't really need a performance degree to perform.

so yeah, that is the main thing that i would have done differently.

i think about that a lot, especially now, with the current state of the economy. it just seems more difficult now than ever to make a decent living as a player.

Edited by dave solazzo (07/27/09 07:39 PM)

#1238510 - 07/27/09 09:28 PM Re: What advice would you give yourself ... [Re: dave solazzo]
ShiroKuro Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: not in Japan anymore
I would have told myself to start playing much earlier than I did! (I finally started piano at 30, when I had been dreaming of it pretty much my entire life- or at least from the time I was a teenager).

#1238557 - 07/27/09 11:24 PM Re: What advice would you give yourself ... [Re: ShiroKuro]
DL33 Offline

I would have insisted on continuing to play the old piano in the basement where I felt free to express myself instead of the "piece of furniture" in the living room where no one wanted to hear anything they couldn't recognize, and I'd have found a teacher who wouldn't condemn me for playing by ear and coming up with my own versions of pieces and also who would appreciate different types of music and not insist only on Classical. And somehow, some way I would have found the money to continue lessons after my mother said I had to quit because she wasn't paying for me to learn composing or theory. I'd also set fire to every Bartok book I had!! HATED that music! It's a good thing that if you want something bad enough, the fire in your heart never really goes out and a spark remains waiting to grow if you'll just give it a chance. Of course, I'd practice more.

#1238584 - 07/28/09 12:28 AM Re: What advice would you give yourself ... [Re: dave solazzo]
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Dave,

That's an interesting point. I went to music school because I started doing music late. In fact the first exposure to jazz was at a community college and I thought studying in 4 year college was the natural step to take. The teacher I had at the community college was great and I thought things would be even better at a university.

But my 4 year college experience didn't turn out to be so great. It seemed like anyone who could play at school were frustrated with school and how much time it took away from actual learning/playing. I eneded up skipping most of my classes and practiced on my own.

So yea I guess I am very skeptical about school.. but at the same time I've also met people who improved a lot because they went to school. I think it's more about being at the right place at the right time. Some schools are really happening and you can learn a lot i you go there at the right time.. otherwise school can be a complete waste of time and years of frustration.

Edited by etcetra (07/28/09 12:32 AM)

#1238617 - 07/28/09 01:51 AM Re: What advice would you give yourself ... [Re: etcetra]
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
Silly as it sounds, I would tell myself to be more individual, to have more confidence in my own ideas and to ignore the advice of musicians even more than I have. At sixty-one I can now see clearly that when young I had a lot of good ideas which would have flourished better and sooner had I not felt an imperative to follow this or that musical convention, this or that piece of advice from teachers, musicians and friends.

You only get one shot at life and there's no use wasting it pursuing somebody else's dream. Then again, you can't put an old head on young shoulders. My two teachers worthy of that description actually did tell me the precise thing I needed to know very explicitly and I just didn't understand it at the time. Young people rarely recognise or value those qualities in themselves which are unique and precious. They invariably want to do something else for which they are not as well suited. Unfortunately somehow it's just human nature.

Edited by Ted (07/28/09 01:53 AM)

#1238799 - 07/28/09 10:48 AM Re: What advice would you give yourself ... [Re: Ted]
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Ted,

I know exactly what you mean. I have to say that it's very difficult to believe in yourself when you are young. Nobody really knows you and it's easy to feel like what you do don't really matter at all.

I think being in a right place at the right time, and being in a supportive enviroment makes a big difference. It's important that you believe in those quality yourself but it's also important to have musicians and friends who believe in them too

When I used to be a student in US, my friends, the people I gigged with, and sometimes even people I looked up to were interested in my tune and wanted a copy. And I had friends who I can call to work on those tunes and they sounded right. they knew what to do on them. And those things really gave me a strong reason to write more and experiment more.

But ever since I moved back to my home country after my injury I've stopped composing and playing my music, mostly because they got butchered so many times that I gave up on performing them with people here. I made a post here before but I have drafts and parts of songs that I have not finished writing in over an year. I felt like I lost in touch with whatever music used to mean to me. I actually tried writing something today and nothing came out.

So I guess the important thing is to find that kind of friends and enviroment.. because most real life gig only require you to be adequeate, it doesn't really require you to develop your own voice and instinct. You don't have to learn to play in 7, 5, or dig into Bill Evan's or Brad Mehldau's style to make a living playing and teaching music. You need people who can help each other push and thrive for more.

#1238857 - 07/28/09 12:14 PM Re: What advice would you give yourself ... [Re: Ted]
J Cortese Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Ted, you just said a mouthful.

#1239335 - 07/28/09 11:50 PM Re: What advice would you give yourself ... [Re: J Cortese]
nitekatt2008z Offline
500 Post Club Member

For me, instead of going to Berklee in the 70's, I would have gone to Harvard Law School or majored in business, so I could have made enough dough to buy the $90+K Bechstein ebony concert piano I played and fell in love with at the NAMM show a few years ago in CA. That piano played itself, a piano so perfectly designed, best piano touch and action, thundering bass, exquisite mids, sparkling highs, absolute finest acoustic piano I was lucky enough to play. I was addicted to it. I still remember and think about that piano, but at almost a price tag of just under $100k, no way man, not in this lifetime. If God plays the piano, this is the one He will own and play for eternity, hehe

katt

#1239348 - 07/29/09 12:05 AM Re: What advice would you give yourself ... [Re: etcetra]
nitekatt2008z Offline
500 Post Club Member

etcetra, I think you would have made a good fit if you had gone to Berklee. They start you out first semester with jazz improv, jazz harmony, jazz ensembles, private lessons in both jazz and classical, jazz arranging.

Other music colleges require an intensive classical curriculum and then they let you get into the jazz program, but this approach doesn't work for everyone. If I had to go that route, I wouldn't have been a jazz student, because I didn't have any traditional piano lessons or much theory. Not all of us have the desire nor the passion to be serious classical when the heart is all into jazz, me included. In fact, I had no interest, or very little passion to study classical, although I started "dabbling" with Bach Inventions and WTC Bk 1 and started some classical lessons with several teachers. Now, I love Bach and play at it almost daily, really helps my ear, technique, and helps me appreciate what Glenn Gould and Horowitz are into.

katt

#1239350 - 07/29/09 12:11 AM Re: What advice would you give yourself ... [Re: etcetra]
nitekatt2008z Offline
500 Post Club Member

etcetra, I hear you about productivity. I'm the opposite though, I have musical ideas and potential tunes running in my brain almost 24-7, but too lazy or unmotivated to write out or record my thoughts. I can sit at my keyboard and instantly produce something, not always good, but sometimes a thing will develop that I like and others may get into it.

katt

#1239380 - 07/29/09 01:52 AM Re: What advice would you give yourself ... [Re: nitekatt2008z]
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

katt

I would have been okay with the classical stuff, it wasn't for the fact that 2/3 of my music classes in my major were classical related and I had to spent half of that time on general education courses. I was so disappointed because I heard so many people with good chops but they just didn't sound very good playing jazz.

yea from what you told me about Berklee it sounds like a happening place. It must be nice having other guys who are better than you show you stuff. I met couple of people who went to Berklee here.. some are pretty good, but others not so good.. but it sounds like it's a place where you can really improve if you set your mind to it...you are surrounded by incredible amount of resource.. as in peers, teachers..etc.

#1239445 - 07/29/09 06:46 AM Re: What advice would you give yourself ... [Re: etcetra]
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
For me places such as Berklee seem like fabled oases of musical enrichment and encouragement. I do not know how I would have turned out had I had these influences. When I was ten, I had an audition with the best classical piano teacher here. The prospect of his six months of exercises and his disdain of improvisation and jazz repulsed me so decisively that I defied severe parental pressure and his repeated phone calls, actually stopping playing for four years. These "what if" questions are virtually impossible to answer. The psychologists tell us that we tend to justify our past in terms of how things turn out, whether for better or worse. Perhaps they are right, I don't really know. I do know that my music makes me unconditionally happy in a way difficult to conceive possible had I had a more conventional musical education. In the end though, what might have happened doesn't matter; the immediate imperative to play, create and enjoy here and now is all that matters.

Etcetra:

Don't worry. Whatever you had before will still be there. If you keep working it will return - probably when you least expect it.

#1239736 - 07/29/09 03:18 PM Re: What advice would you give yourself ... [Re: nitekatt2008z]
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
People who've gone to Berklee, have you gone to the online or the brick and mortar school?

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
79 registered (bennevis, casinitaly, Andy001, 20 invisible), 1060 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76042 Members
42 Forums
157229 Topics
2309265 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
When to compose?
by noobpianist90
Today at 04:16 AM
First Recordings on the New Steinway!
by Markarian
Today at 04:11 AM
"railroad track" symbol in Debussy
by Eric NYC
Today at 02:52 AM
P155 or FA-08
by Yussnan84
Today at 01:59 AM
Blac
by Aviram
Yesterday at 11:56 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission