2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (accordeur, Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,891 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
OP Offline
V
This is the first time my instructor has organized this (I'd like to think I had a small part in pushing him towards this). In September the more advanced adult students (probably 4-5) are playing at the retirement home and we get to choose 3-5 pieces of our own to play. I've not done anything beyond the one-and-done recitals, so I'd like to hear what you think could be a good programme out of the two "tracks" below.

A. The "calm down" set:
Dawn from "Pride and Prejudice" 05 movie.
Brahms Intermezzo op 118 no. 2
Debussy Clair de Lune

B. The "ambitious but why not" set:
Rachmaninov Prelude Op. 3 no. 2 in C# minor
Chopin Nocturne op 9 no. 2
Brahms Rhapsody op 79 no. 2

If you were a retiree what would you prefer to hear?

PS - is this the right forum or should I move it to ABF?

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Just don't play anything too slow, or you'll have to compete with all the snoring smile smile

Seriously, no matter what you play, they will enjoy it. I would try at least one thing that's "non-traditional" just cuz they're old doesn't mean they want all classics. IMO.

It is better to be kind than to be right.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I would check out the condition of the piano and choose what you think would sound best. There's not much worse than listening to either Debussy or Rachmaninoff on a piece of tin instrument.

Also, make sure the teacher or nursing home has it tuned if it needs it.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
V
OP Offline
V
Minniemay I haven't even thought about that - I'll bring that up with my instructor - maybe we can all go there to get a "feel" for the piano. It could just be a spinet (ack!).

Ebony - good point! A number of these folks probably suffer from hard-of-hearing issues - so nothing with a lot of ppp.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I have a retirement home gig coming up, and the activities director said they would ask me to play "You Are My Sunshine." That's a pretty easy piece to do by ear, or find easy sheet music to use, so maybe something like that as your "encore" would go over well.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Or it could be a spinet upright that hasn't been tuned in 10 years. I did a nursing home gig a little while ago, playing for some vocalists. One of the pieces was a Debussy song that had solid chords spanning an octave in the upper register of the piano. It was horrible with the out of tune piano. Another piece the vocalist chose had a refrain that included the words "I'd rather die....", yikes!

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
V
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by Arghhh
Another piece the vocalist chose had a refrain that included the words "I'd rather die....", yikes!

LOL. What a riot!

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
First, if you're not used to performing, I would definately encourage you to go with an easier program. Less to fret about, less to get nerves worked up about.

Secondly, your audience will appreciate hearing you regardless of what you play. The last time I played at a nursing home, when my own folks were there, incidentally, I just grabbed a book of intermediate level pieces and played for an hour or so. Even the staff stopped to listen and brought in others.

I love the "Sunshine" suggestion. Since you have the time, do a little research into the "top 20" from the 1920s and pick a few to play. Don't have to be memorized. Your audience will be thrilled.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
I would also lean towards the "calmer" selections. Retirement home pianos are not usually the best so be prepared for anything!

I used to play at retirement homes when I was a kid -- I had a bunch of books of old 1920s, 30s, 40s tunes. The people loved hearing songs that they grew up with and often enjoyed sharing stories from their lives as they related to this nostalgic music. I think it would be great if you could mix in some of these popular standards in with your classical repertoire.

Have fun!

~Jennifer Eklund

FREE 90-page eBook of sheet music: www.pianopronto.com/specialoffer

Piano Pronto Music Books: www.pianopronto.com

BA in Piano/MA Musicology

V
OP Offline
V
Thanks for the suggestions Jennifer, jotur and John. Adding familiar tunes to the lineup is a good idea.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I have lots of experience playing for people who are not necessarily fans of classical piano music (and more than a few people who would say they actively dislike it).

If you are really interested in having it be an enjoyable experience for the audience rather than a simulation of a recital, I would suggest only playing classical pieces from what you would consider a "greatest hits" list. Stuff that people will recognize (even if only vaguely) is good. First movement of the Moonlight, Fur Elise, Debussy...those are good.

Anything they would think of as "having to sit through" ... not so good. This is, of course, assuming that the retirement home is not the type with a "classical music performances series" and residents who are classical aficionados (hey, it could happen, but not where I grew up wink ).

Definitely agree that grabbing an intermediate level book of "greatest hits of the 20's - 40's" and taking turns playing would be the most likely to get the biggest response.

Adult Amateur Pianist

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.
V
OP Offline
V
Prodigal - I've not even considered that there are people who do not passionately LOVE classical piano repertoire wink

Would Tori Amos and Sarah McLachlan be considered too modern for retirees?

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Hi Verania,

Play what you love, but yes, check out the piano first.

My advice? Talk to the audience. Tell a little story, maybe just a sentence or two, longer if you'd like, about WHY you've chosen the piece. Maybe something about the composer, or (even better) something about why you relate to the piece, and why it moves you.

It's my experience that you can get people to listen to almost anything if you help them connect to it in some personal way.

Good luck!

Robin Meloy Goldsby
www.goldsby.de
Available June 18th, 2021--Piano Girl Playbook: Notes on a Musical Life
Also by RMG: Piano Girl, A Memoir; Waltz of the Asparagus People; Rhythm; Manhattan Roadtrip
Music by RMG available on all platforms
RMG is a Steinway Artist
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by verania5
Prodigal - I've not even considered that there are people who do not passionately LOVE classical piano repertoire wink

Would Tori Amos and Sarah McLachlan be considered too modern for retirees?

My poor father grudgingly went to years of piano recitals and hated every single minute of it. He never SAID that, but it was pretty obvious that going to one of my recitals was not looked on with the enthusiasm that going to one of my brother's games was. smile I would like to think he did like the parts where I played, but I think that's hoping for too much. wink

I don't know if those would be "too modern" ...if you picked the right pieces I think they'd like them but there is something special about songs and pieces they *recognize*.

Adult Amateur Pianist

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Way, way off topic, here is an interesting article on fake books.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Okay, last entry! Take a look at this. Perfect for any retirement home gig.

V
OP Offline
V
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
Way, way off topic, here is an interesting article on fake books.

Wow - I never knew there was such a dramatic story behind the Fake Books. 5000 arrests! I will check out the book John. Thanks.

J
J
I don't think they'd recognize Tori; they would probably like McLachlan's "Angel" as long as they don't know the words. :-) (Bit of a downer in a retirement home, I think.) Try some slower Simon & Garfunkel as well. "Bridge" is always a nice one. Maybe some Sam Cooke, like "Cupid" or "You Send Me." Everyone likes Sam Cooke. :-)

The youngest people in today's old folks home are likely to have been BORN in the 20s and 30s, so the top-10 of those decades might be a little early for them. Try the 40s and work upward. Perry Como, Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra. That sort of thing.

And depending on where they come from, remember that these people are two generations closer to immigrant ancestors. A polka or a nicely played "O Sole Mio" or "Danny Boy" might go over REALLY WELL. My mom can't even hear "O Sole Mio" without tearing up.

Last edited by J Cortese; 07/29/09 06:32 PM.

If there is a banner ad in this post, please be advised that the owners of the company traffic in illegal drugs and have been caught in compromising positions with farm animals.
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by J Cortese
And depending on where they come from, remember that these people are two generations closer to immigrant ancestors. A polka or a nicely played "O Sole Mio" or "Danny Boy" might go over REALLY WELL. My mom can't even hear "O Sole Mio" without tearing up.

Yes. I was also told to expect a request for "De Colores". That's sort of the NM Hispanic equivalent of "You Are My Sunshine". smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission