Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1239816 - 07/29/09 04:49 PM piano performance degree
gale Offline

Hello--I'm new to Piano World Forums. I'm not sure where to ask this question, so I hope you are the right place. I am an adult returning to formal piano lessons after 40+ years. I am currently playing in Alfred's Masterwork Classics Level 6 along with learning Widmung by Lizst (easier version) and Romance S. 169 also by Lizst. (The Lizst pieces are my choices but are a stretch for my skills at this point). I am studying with a college professor (DMA in piano pedagogy) He's very good and I will eventually ask him this question, but not yet. I have a long way to go before I would even ask. The question: Are older adults ever admitted to university piano performance programs? I really want credentials and the push that would be involved in obtaining them.

Thanks for your comments.

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1239825 - 07/29/09 04:58 PM Re: piano performance degree [Re: gale]
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
In the UK, outside of the academies, age is no barrier.

#1239830 - 07/29/09 05:02 PM Re: piano performance degree [Re: gale]
Chris H. Online   content
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK.
It depends on where you are.

If your were in the UK there are plenty of university music departments who would take a mature student on their undergraduate courses as long as they meet the required standards. That's not the only way to gain qualifications and credentials either. We have a selection of exam boards which offer recognised qualifications at all levels.

Age really is no barrier.

#1239832 - 07/29/09 05:02 PM Re: piano performance degree [Re: Chris H.]
2000 Post Club Member

That's uncanny that KBK used the exact same words!!!

#1239836 - 07/29/09 05:06 PM Re: piano performance degree [Re: Chris H.]
keyboardklutz Offline

Notice I only used 4!

#1239847 - 07/29/09 05:15 PM Re: piano performance degree [Re: Chris H.]
gale Offline

That's really interesting and makes me wish I were there! However, I am an American, so I will have to deal with what's in place here. I have an MA in clinical psychology and have completed academic studies for my Ph.D., so I am no stranger to focused hard work. Realistically, I am not unusually gifted in piano, but I am teachable and definitely committed. (I am currently practicing about 4-5 hours a day).

Is there anyone familiar with the American universitiy program practices who could comment?

#1239854 - 07/29/09 05:19 PM Re: piano performance degree [Re: gale]
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: gale
Is there anyone familiar with the American universitiy program practices who could comment?

Actually us Brits are in the minority here so you should get plenty of good replies.

#1239856 - 07/29/09 05:21 PM Re: piano performance degree [Re: gale]
keyboardklutz Offline

If all you want is a teaching or performance diploma there are 3 levels of difficulty and I'm sure you can take them from either ABRSM or Trinity from where you are.

#1239873 - 07/29/09 05:32 PM Re: piano performance degree [Re: keyboardklutz]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
I teach at a private liberal arts college and yes, we would take you as would most liberal arts schools. I can't speak for the bigger universities.

#1239946 - 07/29/09 07:03 PM Re: piano performance degree [Re: gale]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Gale,

There are no age barrier in the US for most universities. Anyone of any age could attend any program given the right qualifications.

In the US, you could prepare by sitting for the RCM/NMCP exams. (http://www.nationalconservatoryofmusicofamerica.org/aboutus/general.htm) At the end of all the exams is the ARCT diploma for performance or ARCT diploma for teachers.

You could apply for an university performance degree after you've completed the RCM/NMCP exams at Level 10.

#1240304 - 07/30/09 12:13 PM Re: piano performance degree [Re: 4evrBeginR]
gale Offline

Thanks, Minniemay and 4evrBeginR. That's what I wanted to hear and the exams would give me tangible evidence of progress and accomplishment. The credentials are important to me, but more than anything I want to be a sensitive musician. I'm in a good place now to develop that. So I'm focusing on now, but planning for the future. Thanks for your input.

#1240322 - 07/30/09 12:43 PM Re: piano performance degree [Re: gale]
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Loc: Lexington, Kentucky
gale, you may also want to post this in the Pianist Corner. There's at least a couple regulars there who are faculty members at American universities in music programs, and they can give you the straight scoop. My memory, based on other similar threads that have appeared there in the past, is that age is not a factor in admissions at all. What matters is your level of preparation and audition tapes and performance. thumb

p.s. Actually, search for the thread in the pianist's corner started by John Citron, titled something like "I was just accepted at UMass." John is middle-aged with a former career in computers.

Another notable "late starter" on the forum is John Anthony (I believe he posted most often as USA Piano Trucker), who drove trucks for many years but started as a music major two years ago. You might want to try sending either or both of them a PM and asking about their experience.

#1240414 - 07/30/09 03:10 PM Re: piano performance degree [Re: Monica K.]
Gyro Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I personally would have strong objections
if you were applying to a state school.
If you were accepted, you'd be displacing a young
person who might not be able afford going out of state.
You're apparently doing this essentially on a lark, and so
I think that denying a young person the opportunity
to major in piano would be very questionable
behavior. In fact, I think you'd get a chilly
reception from administrators at a state school
for this very reason, more so because you have
multiple degrees already.

#1240422 - 07/30/09 03:22 PM Re: piano performance degree [Re: Gyro]
Jennifer Eklund Offline

Loc: SoCal
Originally Posted By: Gyro
I personally would have strong objections
if you were applying to a state school.
If you were accepted, you'd be displacing a young
person who might not be able afford going out of state.
You're apparently doing this essentially on a lark, and so
I think that denying a young person the opportunity
to major in piano would be very questionable
behavior. In fact, I think you'd get a chilly
reception from administrators at a state school
for this very reason, more so because you have
multiple degrees already.

confused I attend a state uni for my masters degree and we have a *wide* variety of ages. As far as I know universities are not allowed to discriminate on *any* level.

ETA: They just hiked the state fees again so with a 30% increase over the last year going to a state university is far from cheap anymore!

Edited by Jennifer Eklund (07/30/09 03:24 PM)

Piano Pronto Music Books: www.pianopronto.com

BA in Piano/MA Musicology

#1240424 - 07/30/09 03:24 PM Re: piano performance degree [Re: Gyro]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Yes...there are American colleges and universities who will admit non-traditional students to music degrees.

However, you will be expected to audition along with everyone else, and repertoire on the level of Alfred Book 6 is not likely to make you competitive with other entering students.

You are welcome to apply, and should your audition warrant admittance, then they will admit you. (I don't know of any school who would turn down a qualified student, regardless of age - especially at smaller schools, there is tremendous pressure to recruit students.)

That being said, I'd also suggest a Bachelor of Arts program. Although it's not a performance degree, a BA would still provide you with a credential, and BA programs are often very flexible - the performance expectation is not as high on the audition, but you can still tailor the degree to include most of the same coursework as a performance degree. Add in a couple of elective recitals, and the only difference between the two is the letters on the diploma.

One of the universities where I've taught admitted a 45 year-old who had driven a truck for 20 years and wanted to change careers. He completed a music education degree and was a wonderful student. (And no, it's not USA Piano Trucker, but I always thought it was neat that two retired truckers would find second careers in music.)
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1240443 - 07/30/09 04:00 PM Re: piano performance degree [Re: Kreisler]
spatial Offline

Loc: USA
I admire you for wanting to pursue something you love that seriously. Out of curiosity, why do you want a formal credential?

#1240450 - 07/30/09 04:09 PM Re: piano performance degree [Re: Kreisler]
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I personally wouldn't recommend doing a performance degree unless you are willing to make a major time commitment to practice. In my school, classical pianists were required to practice 3 hrs a day minimum.. and when students were preparing for a recital, they practiced anywhere between 5-7 hrs a day, maybe even more.

like Kriesler said I think Bachelor of arts might be a better option. I think its probably best not to think about all that right now and enjoy your progress. Besides, you don't need to go to school to be able to play piano at a high level. There are plenty of people who can play very well but never went to college

Edited by etcetra (07/30/09 04:12 PM)

#1240453 - 07/30/09 04:14 PM Re: piano performance degree [Re: etcetra]
Jennifer Eklund Offline

Also, a degree in performance doesn't mean all that much as far as "credentials" go. You would be better off with the BA taking all the same curriculum as performance majors but it will also allow you some breathing room to take pedagogy, or more musicology courses, etc. Plus, you can still do a recital and get credits for it, and you'll have more freedom with your repertoire selection.

For instance my senior recital was a "Scandinavian" smorgasbord recital. I only performed works by Nordic composers and was permitted to do so because the BA is more flexible.

~Jennifer Eklund

#1240520 - 07/30/09 06:49 PM Re: piano performance degree [Re: Jennifer Eklund]
gale Offline

Well, there are a lot of interesting thoughts here. I think a bit of research on my part about various degree options would help me to sort out my needs and the various requirements.

I think I'm just a credential kind of gal, spatial. It allows me to be part of a professional community of pianists which is something I would enjoy. I have enjoyed teaching other things and I might want to to teach piano, too.

My practice time runs about 4-5 hours a day 7 days a week. I don't think committment is the issue here. I'm a lot more worried about developing proper technique so that I avoid injuries. :))

Thanks to everyone for your input.

#1240536 - 07/30/09 07:15 PM Re: piano performance degree [Re: gale]
Kreisler Offline

gale,

Please stick around and let us know how it goes. I have a feeling we have a LOT of lurkers watching behind the scenes who would be fascinated to hear your story over the next year or two.

I'd love to know how things work out!
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com

#1240661 - 07/30/09 10:59 PM Re: piano performance degree [Re: Kreisler]
etcetra Offline
1000 Post Club Member

gale,

wow, I am surprised to hear that you practice that much.. if that's the case you'll probably fit right in. A lot of people don't go far with the music degree because of time commitment.. not only do you have to practice, you have to do ensembles classes.. etc. I think it's do-able as long as you are patient.

#1241046 - 07/31/09 03:08 PM Re: piano performance degree [Re: Kreisler]
gale Offline

Could you tell me how the performance expectations might differ in a B.A. program? Do you mean less technical skill or less demanding repertoire (maybe that's really the same thing??) I'm new to how this all works. Thanks.

[quote=Kreisler]
That being said, I'd also suggest a Bachelor of Arts program. Although it's not a performance degree, a BA would still provide you with a credential, and BA programs are often very flexible - the performance expectation is not as high on the audition, but you can still tailor the degree to include most of the same coursework as a performance degree. Add in a couple of elective recitals, and the only difference between the two is the letters on the diploma.

#1241152 - 07/31/09 05:47 PM Re: piano performance degree [Re: gale]
Jennifer Eklund Offline

I did a BA in Piano at a state uni. Typically your "group ensemble" requirements are a bit less than for the BM performance degree. Also, your "senior project" can be a recital or a thesis project on paper, you get to pick.

Also, when you audition (atleast at state schools) you are usually auditioning to get accepted and to receive "state paid lessons." Otherwise you pay for your lessons outside of your tuition costs. For us, the BA majors only got 30 min lessons per week, whereas the BM majors got an hour.

~Jennifer Eklund

#1241222 - 07/31/09 08:06 PM Re: piano performance degree [Re: Jennifer Eklund]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
I think it depends on the school. I went to a small liberal arts college and got my BA. It didn't make any difference if you were a major or a minor, you got the same length of lesson. Every music major had the same ensemble requirement and, while there was an option for a senior project, only the "lazy" people took it.

#1241560 - 08/01/09 01:47 PM Re: piano performance degree [Re: Minniemay]
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member

At my university, BA students also normally get 1/2 hour lessons, which I found ridiculous. You can barely get started the lesson before it's over, and my piano instruction is more important to me than the other coursework. I only got hour lessons after fighting for them. The BA degree also only requires 2 years of lessons.

#1241851 - 08/01/09 11:46 PM Re: piano performance degree [Re: Arghhh]
gale Offline

Thanks for the info. I am several years away from being skilled enough to qualify for admission, but it's really motivating to think about the possibilities!

Gale

#1241880 - 08/02/09 01:31 AM Re: piano performance degree [Re: gale]
lotuscrystal Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I say go for it! When I did my Masters in piano performance, I was the youngest and I was 31!...ages ranged up to 50 in my Masters group.

#1243334 - 08/04/09 02:16 PM Re: piano performance degree [Re: Gyro]
Susan K. Offline

Loc: Central California
gale ~ I've always been curious, so I'm glad that you asked this question! I've always wondered about Julliard (fascination only) and this is what I found:

"The Juilliard School seeks students whose talent and commitment to excellence promise future achievement in their chosen areas of major study. The Committee on Admissions selects students primarily on the basis of their performance at competitive auditions held at The Juilliard School and in selected cities around the country. All auditions are evaluated by members of the faculty.

The School does not set a minimum or maximum age limit. In general, however, the faculty and the Committee on Admissions will give preference to students in the formative stages of their artistic development who will benefit most from the type of training available at Juilliard."

So they'll favor the youngsters but wouldn't rule out an exceptionally talented older person. And some of us are late bloomers. Also, we're all living so much longer, so say you started playing at 40, put in the requisite 15,000 hours of practice to reach competency (say 7.5 years practicing 5.5 hours a day, less years if you're not a beginner) -- you'd be 48 when applying for programs. If you die at 88, you'll have played competitively for 40 years!

Keep those dreams alive!

Susan

#1243497 - 08/04/09 05:14 PM Re: piano performance degree [Re: Susan K.]
Kreisler Offline

Originally Posted By: Susan K.
...so say you started playing at 40, put in the requisite 15,000 hours of practice to reach competency (say 7.5 years practicing 5.5 hours a day, less years if you're not a beginner)

Except the brain works a lot differently at 40 than it does at 8.

I've been on internet forums for over a decade, and I still haven't found anyone who's gone from scratch to mastery as an adult. (Nor have I found anyone who will actually admit it's not possible.)

I haven't read Gladwell's study, but I'd be very interested in what he has to say about when those 10,000 hours happen. (Can anyone who's read it comment?)

www.pianoped.com

#1243644 - 08/04/09 09:26 PM Re: piano performance degree [Re: Kreisler]
bluespianofan Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
What about the guy (NY surgeon?) who was struck by lightning via a pay phone and became obsessed by classical piano. I believe he went from scratch to mastery as an adult.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Rare Time Signatures
by caters
09/30/14 02:59 PM
has anyone tried the Focal alpha 50s or 65s for monitoring?
by dire tonic
09/30/14 11:54 AM
2015 Concerto Competition "Theodor Leschetizky" NY
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:49 AM
Valletta International Piano Competition, Velletta, Malta
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:45 AM
Cleveland International Piano Competition
by Piano World
09/30/14 11:42 AM
Who's Online
159 registered (accordeur, 36251, 44 invisible), 1659 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76379 Members
42 Forums
157890 Topics
2318861 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission