Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1240206 - 07/30/09 07:30 AM Suzuki as supplementary material - thoughts?
ToriAnais Offline

Loc: Australia
I was started off on piano with Suzuki Method and love the materials, but I think the "mothertongue" approach can only work with very dedicated parents behind it so I don't use it myself as a beginner method.

Recently however I had a boy use it once he was just past beginner standard (maybe end of PA book 1 sort of standard) and he improved in leaps and bounds, so much so that once he finished book one and I had him on different materials, his mum bought book 2 without my asking her to, and requested I keep using suzuki with him because her and her husband had noticed he learnt a lot from it.

It's got me thinking that I should use it with other kids as supplementary material, but I'm not sure at what point to introduce it. Anyone else using it this way? It's certainly not the intended way for it to be used, but I think it's valuable stuff.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1240209 - 07/30/09 07:57 AM Re: Suzuki as supplementary material - thoughts? [Re: ToriAnais]
BSP Offline

Loc: Hudson Valley, NY
mitts,
.. When you say using Suzuki as supplementary material, are your students reading the music, or learning it the Suzuki way?
Did the student learn by doing the listening?

I agree with you.. the Suzuki method does require 100% parent involvement. I have many students where I teach outside the home, but I can't seem to effectively market the method for my home studio.

I also have some Suzuki students who would be better served by switching to a traditional method, because of the lack of parental support in the home.

Suzuki repertoire is solid, imo. I can't disagree with its use as supplemental material.. I just wonder if you're teaching it using the Suzuki method.

BevP

#1240233 - 07/30/09 08:47 AM Re: Suzuki as supplementary material - thoughts? [Re: BSP]
ToriAnais Offline

No, not using the suzuki method. I used it once he had a grasp on steps and skips etc so he could sightread it himself with a bit of help from me.

I guess that's another idea though. Try and teach suzuki method once a student is past absolute beginner stage, and then if the parents don't put much effort in it's not such a giant flop.

But I think it's great even without the heavily aural component. It's quite easy to sightread once the basic skills are there.

#1240246 - 07/30/09 09:15 AM Re: Suzuki as supplementary material - thoughts? [Re: ToriAnais]
BSP Offline

mitts,
I wasn't suggesting you switch your student from a "traditional" method over to Suzuki. I don't think that would be wise, if the student is already reading.

That's great that after a level 1 book, your student was able to read up to book 2 Suzuki, though. IMO, Suzuki book 1 material is beyond what a traditional student does in their level 1 method book. Good on ya!

BevP

#1240487 - 07/30/09 05:54 PM Re: Suzuki as supplementary material - thoughts? [Re: BSP]
ToriAnais Offline

Oh no, I know you weren't suggesting that. And I agree, it's above a beginner level primer. I was just having real difficulties with this kid and suzuki was the key for him. He ignored his beginner book (it was a boring one I never would have picked - his mum has a habit of buying books without consulting me first) and only started learning anything when he got enthusiastic about a primer level book of christmas carols. He is a particularly bright little boy and I know it wouldn't work for just any kid. I guess what I'm hoping to get some answers to is the question:

With typical primers (bastien, PA, etc) around what level do you think would equate with book one suzuki, or be a good level to start using it as supplementary material??

I'm glad someone else thinks suzuki is valuable as well. It seems to have lost popularity in recent years, or at least in western countries.

#1241424 - 08/01/09 09:10 AM Re: Suzuki as supplementary material - thoughts? [Re: ToriAnais]
BSP Offline

mitts_off,

Your question is interesting and one I've thought of, so I'm glad you posted it. It's a tough one for me, because I use PA,
and it's really hard to pair up Suzuki book 1 with anything in PA book 1.

Maybe a better way to think of it is when do the method books start with the skills that are covered in Suzuki?

In Suzuki book 1, you have arpeggiated bass lines (like Cuckoo, French Children's song), and Alberti bass (Lightly Row). You're also reading in "treble C" position, as opposed to "middle C" position, where some of the method books start. Also.. "Christmas Day Secrets".. nice melody, relatively simple bass, but it has 16th notes..which my PA students haven't seen yet by books 2A/B. "Little Playmates" would be nice, imo for that level in Faber.. the l.h. is nice, and in PA, maybe you could introduce that after they've gotten comfortable with the pentascales?

I have students in 2A/2B Pa, and I haven't seen Alberti bass introduced yet. I do think PA starts with Alberti in book 3, but I'm not sure.

I think it's important to start supplementing with repertoire early, but I'm still really puzzled about what to supplement. The more I continue this post, the more confused I am about how to supplement method books with Suzuki repertoire. It just doesn't seem like an easy fit...

Your thoughts?
BevP

#1244002 - 08/05/09 12:14 PM Re: Suzuki as supplementary material - thoughts? [Re: BSP]
Klavierspielen Offline

I think the difficulty with incorporating Suzuki into traditional comes because Suzuki (Volume 1, at least) is designed to be done by ear with lots of parental help during practice time. I agree that PA level 2B and 3 are about the level of Suzuki Volume 1 hands together. Don't forget that Suzuki teachers usually start beginners RH only until good technique is developed.

I'm a suzuki piano teacher, but I also have a number of straight traditional students. The Suzuki kids (even those who have minimal parental involvement) are much more creative with their music in general because they aren't afraid of wrong notes. For example, one of my little ones had been working on Alberti bass with Lightly Row for about 2 weeks. She came back one day and could play "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" hands together with perfectly worked-out basic chord progression of Alberti bass... I had never showed her a bit of that song.

(Sorry, I know that was off topic.) Regardless, the Suzuki repertoire is excellent Baroque/Classical material. As far as using it to supplement, you can also use some of the pieces to teach I-V relationships.

I can talk about this forever!

#1244075 - 08/05/09 02:12 PM Re: Suzuki as supplementary material - thoughts? [Re: Klavierspielen]
BSP Offline

I'm glad to see another Suzuki teacher here!

How do you incorporate note reading with your students, Klavierspielen? I just got a transfer student who had learned Kabalevsky, "Clowns" by rote. She's 7 years old, and has been taking Suzuki since age 3, and now I have the pleasure of trying to teach her to read. Wish me luck.. she's a very opinionated young girl! smile

BevP

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
EFX on the Kawai MP6
by Lania
09/23/14 07:32 AM
New Single: Wind (Piano Song)
by Darkreach
09/23/14 07:32 AM
Measuring Humidity?
by pianomise
09/23/14 07:29 AM
DH Baldwin - a few technical questions
by Jamie_from_Canada
09/23/14 06:20 AM
I can only Trill well on good grand pianos....
by Paul678
09/22/14 11:48 PM
Who's Online
111 registered (AndresD, aesop, Al LaPorte, Abby Pianoman, 36251, 29 invisible), 1259 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76290 Members
42 Forums
157704 Topics
2316445 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission