2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 17 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 92 of 187 1 2 90 91 92 93 94 186 187
D
D
hey nikalette,

i think i heard that eva cassidy version a while back. there is a nice little piano solo in there, right? i'm going to go listen to that again.

the jarrett version is wonderful too! what a beautiful piano tone.

D
D
hey btw,

i was just listening to that jarrett version of autumn leaves. at the very end he quotes another tune. it's a bit more than just a quote because he actually goes into the changes of the other tune for a few seconds.

just a little trivia: so what's the quoted tune?

any takers? smile

Last edited by dave solazzo; 07/30/09 09:53 PM.
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by dave solazzo
hey nikalette,

i think i heard that eva cassidy version a while back. there is a nice little piano solo in there, right? i'm going to go listen to that again.

the jarrett version is wonderful too! what a beautiful piano tone.

Yes it is a lovely piano solo. She has some good musicians playing with her on her albums. Now I have to listen again to Keith Jarrett and figure out what you referenced.

D
D
nikalette,

he goes into the quote at about 7:25.

Last edited by dave solazzo; 07/30/09 10:01 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi all,

I don't use much walking bass either, mostly just for variety here and there, usually in the bridge. I like to use some chords along with single notes in the right hand, though, to fill it out a little while playing a simple walking bass line with the left hand.

Don't Get Around Much Anymore
http://www.box.net/shared/2kcdbnveig

To me the more important skill is the Bossa Nova Latin Bass line (1 and 5 of chord only). That would get used more often.

I agree, the Bossa Nova bass line can be used in so many different types/styles of songs, not just Latin. I'm using it for the song "Watch What Happens" for example.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
hey btw,

i was just listening to that jarrett version of autumn leaves. at the very end he quotes another tune. it's a bit more than just a quote because he actually goes into the changes of the other tune for a few seconds.

just a little trivia: so what's the quoted tune?

any takers? smile

How about "Speak Low?"

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
nikalette,

he goes into the quote at about 7:25.

Shhhh.....not so loud... wink

D
D
yes, speak low! exactly!

isn't it really nice how he plays a little bit of it there at end?

Last edited by dave solazzo; 07/30/09 11:22 PM.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by jazzwee
... Knotty, don't forget "Oleo". Very good for two hands...

Jazzwee,

Do you happen to remember what fingering you used in the left hand for Oleo? I never found fingering I was comfortable with.

Thanks,

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Riddler, I don't know if my LH fingering is the best but the most difficult part is the triplet. Let's see if I remember....

A Section (LH Fingering)
4 2 4 1
2 1 2 4
(2 3 2) 1
5 3 2
2 4 1 2 4 2
2 4
2 1 3 2
4 2 4 1
2 1 2 3 4

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
yes, speak low! exactly!

Now that you say it, I do recall the Speak Low quote at the end there. And yes Jarret's tone is just exquisite! I haven't heard him live and I wonder how loud he actually plays since he's miked. I've tried to duplicate that tone and I found the touch has to be light for me to come close. If he plays at a high volume I don't know how he does it.

BTW - I transcribed a big chunk of that solo as well as Bill Evan's version. Amazing stuff. I learned a lot.

My Jazz Blog

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
yes, speak low! exactly!

yes, very subtle and lovely...

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Fingering of Donna Lee is just horrendous. Like I said it's a finger mangler. It just shows that Donna Lee was meant for the saxophone and not the piano. I remember as I got faster and faster on it that the previous fingering didn't work. So I must have changed my approach 3 times before I settled on a final version. And trying to swing that at an uptempo pace is challenging.

When I first tried to solo on it years ago, the break between the Head and the solo was very obvious because it sounds so different. But as Charlie Parker sunk in my brain/ears over the years, you really pick up on his style a little and now I solo more in keeping with the original melody. It's a fun project.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Nikalette, if you can spot Speak Low than you must have spent a lot of time listening to jazz. That's fantastic!

My Jazz Blog

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
jazzwee, your teaching technique is cool...So I got the 1-7 in the left hand, the melody in the right, then I did the 3rd in the right (which feels a lot easier than playing the melody), then I did the next step...adding some note to the 3rd and mixing it with the melody, and chord tones, and all of a sudden, I find I can improvise, because for some reason, I'm hearing what I'd like to sing, and able to play it (kind of)...it's very beginner and basic but I think it's the first time I've liked what I'm improvising and even more, for me, is that it sounds like something vocal. When I sing jazz songs, I don't think at all about what I'm doing, but my voice just naturally can go places that sound good with the chords, that's what I've been wanting to do with piano...then of course eventually to be able to do things on the keyboard that I could never do vocally.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Nikalette, you are understanding what I was saying. Fabulous! That simplistic sounding 1/7 + 3 thing is the basis for a more complex sound later on so it is important for the hands to automatically take this shape without thinking.

It's the basis of voicing a tune like this:

My Foolish Heart
http://www.box.net/shared/v3x3kodbys

It allows you to play any tune in the real book with very little effort using the "shell". Then you come back and refine it based on concepts like 3+2 voicings (which is one of the latter lessons.

My Jazz Blog

D
D
hey jazzwee,

nice rendition of my foolish heart! loved the change that you played...8 bars into the tune.

i usually play F#7 to F7 there. what was it that you did there? was it C-7b5 to F7 ?

anwyay, it sounded very nice, and a little different from the way i've usually heard the tune.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by jazzwee
Nikalette, you are understanding what I was saying. Fabulous! That simplistic sounding 1/7 + 3 thing is the basis for a more complex sound later on so it is important for the hands to automatically take this shape without thinking.

It's the basis of voicing a tune like this:

My Foolish Heart
http://www.box.net/shared/v3x3kodbys

It allows you to play any tune in the real book with very little effort using the "shell". Then you come back and refine it based on concepts like 3+2 voicings (which is one of the latter lessons.

Well, I'm following the steps you laid out on faith. It is tempting to skip ahead, but I really want to get this. After I played the 3 in the right hand against 1/7, and started embellishing it a bit, I tried pausing after playing the LH shells and imagining what I thought should/would come next, and when I played the 3rd, that was the note I was hearing.

The 3rd is such an attractive sound. I like to improvise harmonies when someone else is singing, and I suspect a lot of that is made up of 3rds.

That's a very lovely interpretation of My Foolish Heart.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks Dave, the original changes I was using said
| C-7b5 F7b9 |.

Bill Evans version I believe. Voicings were my own so I'm glad it sounded ok smile

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Hi Nikalette, since you're well versed in theory, the voicings are based on the concept that the quality of a chord can clearly be heard just by using the guide tones (7th and 3rd of the chord). Without the guide tones, the harmony is unclear and thus the chord movement not well defined. Sometimes that can be a desired effect on modal tunes, but not on a typical 2-5-1 progression like in AL.

One of the things I was taught is that the harmony you intend should be clear at all times, either from voicings or from the solo lines. So even with a complex solo, the listener knows your place in the "form". With a 1/7 shell on the LH, this pretty much guarantees the 3rd should be in the RH solo or voicing. But even beyond that, in later lessons, we specify that such important chord tones be on the downbeat. So the concept keeps getting extended. And that's what makes for better solos.

You have a strong ear as you are naturally realizing that.

Rest assured that whatever I teach here is good stuff as my teacher is a well known jazz artist. Although I teach one way and there are other valid approaches so keep your mind open to other people's advice as well.

Last edited by jazzwee; 07/31/09 11:36 AM.

My Jazz Blog

Page 92 of 187 1 2 90 91 92 93 94 186 187

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission