2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1240977 07/31/09 01:42 PM
OP Offline
Hey everyone,

I just quit my school gig (I was running a small music program at a school the past 2 years). When I returned after the summer to sign my contract I learned they had moved me out of my room and all of the instruments were crammed into a storage room. No one seemed to know where music classes would be held and so I let it all go. I feel like a great weight has been lifted off my shoulders! Whew!

Just like sharing.

M. Katchur
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Sounds like Karma stepped in, eh? wink
Glad you're happy about it!

What's next for you?

It is better to be kind than to be right.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Good for you. Some schools treat their music teachers like dirt and think they can get away with it. You don't need it.

Pianist and piano teacher.
I am sorry that yet another school has devalued music. I loved my music, choir, and band when I was a kid, and both my sons love it too. But a teacher should never work harder or care more than the students do. And certainly not more than the school administration. Best of luck on your next venture.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by jagshrink
But a teacher should never work harder or care more than the students do. And certainly not more than the school administration.

*Should*
Yeah, I couldn't agree more, but sadly that isn't the way it is. Teachers work harder than most students and ALWAYS harder than the Admin! wink lol

LVP Offline
Good luck!

Karma recently stepped in and removed me from my ten-year teaching gig as well (not music)...Anyhow, I would just like to put my .02 in here and just say that if you really miss teaching (I know I do) think about doing some volunteering. Good teachers are hard to find and it's always a shame when the powers that be put us out of work. But don't forget to find other ways to share your gift if the spirit moves you!

Best of luck in your next adventure!

LVP

LVP
Charles Walter 1500
Korg SP-170s
J
J
Schools are so hard up right now; here in CA, they're really starving. People act like computers in the classroom is the instant guarantee of brilliance with students, and in every single case where this has been studied, the only two things that are a lead-pipe cinch to improve intelligence in children and adults is learning an instrument and learning a new language. And music and foreign languages are always the first two things on the chopping block when budget problems surface. *sigh*

If there is a banner ad in this post, please be advised that the owners of the company traffic in illegal drugs and have been caught in compromising positions with farm animals.
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Yep, when money is tight buy some more laptops and interactive whiteboards!

Pianist and piano teacher.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Chris H.
Yep, when money is tight buy some more laptops and interactive whiteboards

don't forget better sports equipment and matching jerseys!! smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by J Cortese
And music and foreign languages are always the first two things on the chopping block when budget problems surface. *sigh*

But we pretty much never hear threats to cut out physical education because of budgets! Being forced to play volleyball and run the track didn't do me much good that I can see. I got plenty ef exercise outside of school. In elementary school it's good for the kids but requiring it in junior high or high school can be a waste of time for many students. Requiring it in college was a waste of my time and my money.

The school district I work for just consolidated and closed four elementary buildings in the past four years to save money, two of them over this summer so I'm not sure what I'll be going back to this fall. At least two of the positions I normally sub for don't exist anymore.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
J
Originally Posted by Ebony and Ivory
don't forget better sports equipment and matching jerseys!! smile

Ugh. Do NOT get me started on elementary school football.

If there is a banner ad in this post, please be advised that the owners of the company traffic in illegal drugs and have been caught in compromising positions with farm animals.
OP Offline
This gig was only one day week so it's not a huge stress. I have almost a full roster of private students so I plan to just concentrate on that. Has anyone seen Office Space? And they keep moving that guy to Storage B? It was shades of that to the point I almost was laughing about it.

My heart goes out to the full time teachers who are in similar predicaments and their entire paycheck is dependent on such situations.

As to volunteering: My daughter starts Kindergarten in the Fall and I look forward to being quite involved at her school.

M. Katchur
LVP Offline

[Linked Image]

LVP
Charles Walter 1500
Korg SP-170s
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
trilling: Were you teaching Kindermusik or something similar by any chance? I taught Kindermusik for a few years, and discontinued teaching last winter. It was such a relief. I loved the kids, and didn't have to deal with billing since it was in a school, but I had similar problems, sharing a room with other groups. I didn't mind that so much except when the group who was before me would leave chairs, music, trash, and the piano out for me to clean up. I taught kids under the age of 7 in Kindermusik, and sometimes the room is full of things, but it is always clean when I left. This group was a high school choir and they couldn't even put their own music books away!

Anyways, I found that I was looking forward to it less and less, even though when I was there I loved it. It was just a lot of work for very little reward, with a lot of turn over. It distracted me from my private lessons too, and I have not regretted discontinuing it once.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Hi Morodiene!

No, it was not Kindermusik. I had rotations of elementary school aged (K-6) on Orff type instruments (Xylophones, Metalophones, Glockenspiels, Triangles, Claves,etc.). I arranged simple classical tunes (ie:Ode to Joy)and then accompanied them on the piano for assemblies and such. It was really cool and they sounded great with very little practice but HUGE preparation (on my part).

It was a weekly gig and naturally my space was shared. So when I would arrive Thursday morning I never knew what to expect Usually it was clean but there never enough chairs and there were always desks in the way: once I showed up and there was a book fair going on and I was forced to do music in the classrooms. In hindsight I wish I had just gone home that day but I "made do" and I think this sent a powerful message that Mrs. Katchur is "flexible"....the following year my class sizes were doubled and then this year when I went to sign the contract my space was altogether gone and that was the final straw.

This last Thursday would have been my first day back and I just really enjoyed myself and loved that I wasn't exhausted for my after-school piano students who of course stayed on with me.

M. Katchur
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by lvp

[Linked Image]

grin laugh grin laugh grin ha

"I believe you have my stapler...."

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission