2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Carey, Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 8 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
http://www.youtube.com/user/joejnyc#play/uploads/6/19tMlhqSSA0
-handel in different keys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1DrRbL4yoA
-variations on Jeff Moss' "I don't want to live on the moon."

We've let our 4 year old play on the piano since he was two or so and he's taught himself. The only lesson he got was a suggestion that he skip notes to make chords. And maybe some reminders "not to bang" when he got too excited.

We're thinking about the next step for him. A local music school does mostly Suzuki, but it seems to us that he does not need much ear training. He can hear a song and go to the piano long afterwards and work out melody and rough chords.

I'm curious to hear opinions. We definitely don't wish to push him at all. He's a pretty well rounded kid. Besides, my wife, a singer, knows how hard it is to make a living in music!

Thanks!

[Linked Image]

G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
It's difficult to say anything without further context.
When you say "we," do you really mean "you,"
while your wife would rather him not go into music
but rather into law or med school?

Without further context, I'd say just let him
do what he's doing now. There's no point in
you knocking yourself out trying to make a concert
pianist out of him when your wife will have none of it.

D
D
My wife and I are in a similar position with our four-year-old. He has perfect pitch and can play any song after working at it for a little while. He definitely has a gift, and we want him to explore it. We would not mind if he were to want to become a concert pianist, but we have determined that he must WANT to play. He's taking lessons with someone else because I didn't want daddy and piano teacher to get mixed up. We decided that we would encourage him to continue as long as he wants to, and if he wants a break, we'd let him have one. You mention your son is well-rounded, and I think that's the key at this age. But there's nothing wrong with exploring piano when he has such a gift as his. And let your wife know that, by doing so, he's not cornered into becoming a professional musician.

Private Piano Teacher
P
P
He may also have a talent for the field of fashion.

Bach French Suites No. 6, Allemande and Gigue, Beethoven's Pathetique, Chopin Nocturne 72/1, Fantaisie-Impromptu, Debussy's First Arabesque, Takacs Toccata Op 54, Rachmaninoff Etude-Tableau 33/8.
J
J
I thought the same thing. :-) He looks terribly cute!

Just let him set the pace; if he feels over committed I'm sure he'll let you know in inimitable four year old fashion.

If there is a banner ad in this post, please be advised that the owners of the company traffic in illegal drugs and have been caught in compromising positions with farm animals.
S
OP Offline
S
not at all, gyro. i say what I mean, mean what I say. no need to analyze/psychoanalyze my post. smile my wife is more the one exploring what to do with lessons. I'm the youtube video poster, though! laugh I signed on here mainly to research restoration on our piano...

S
OP Offline
S
I'm definitely not looking to push the kid on anything, no one is. But I started soccer at 5, why not expose Jimmy to piano at a similar age?

I was more looking for specific thoughts on books, methods, teachers, schools and such.

My wife isn't concerned about the lessons and becoming pro- when she saw his natural talent, she said "uh oh!"

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by pianogal37
He may also have a talent for the field of fashion.
pics make threads more fun! smile

D
D
For that age, I like Alfred's Music for Little Mozarts. My son loves it!

Last edited by dobbermeister; 08/01/09 03:45 PM.

Private Piano Teacher
Cute kid! And smart.

I would go with a private teacher to see where it goes. I've taught a couple 4-year-olds myself, and start them with 15-minute lessons. They've usually been younger siblings of my students. Better to start them off gently and let the lesson time increase as they get a bit older and their attention span increases,

Take a page from Sesame Street - the lessons should be short and varied. Not too much of one concept if it becomes tedious. Above all they should be fun. If not, discontinue. You definitely do not want him to be turned off to music.

Good luck to you & your adorable child.

Joan

Joan Edward

Private piano teacher, 20+ years
EDWARDIAN45@hotmail.com
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Find a teacher that specializes in teaching that age. Not everyone is good at it, I know I certainly am not!

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
L
L
Adorable child...looks very animated, creative, and theatrical smile

I say, get him into private lessons...he already sounds a bit beyond the Suzuki group lesson thing. I think all talent should be fostered and nurtured if a child presents as having certain gifts...and from what you've mentioned, the writing is on the wall that he has a predisposition towards music.

As for making a career out of music...life is what you make it, and I've seen parents push their children into fields other than the creative and musical arts, when the child clearly has a great aptitude/desire for them and finds his/her happiness in pursuing music.

Possible careers in musical arts:

Musician
Instrument maker
Piano tuner
Music therapist
Instrument salesperson
Songwriter
Choral director
Conductor
Singer
Music teacher
Music critic
Composer
Music arranging
Television/Radio
Music librarian/historian
Recording engineer/editing
Music software
Disc jockey
Virtual reality - internet, games, programs

Last edited by lotuscrystal; 08/02/09 01:48 AM.
T
T
He looks like he'd be a great kid to teach - great energy. I'd definitely put him into lessons because while he's very musical, his technique needs to be corrected so he doesn't hurt himself. He's using very odd fingerings in the second video!! Shop around for the right teacher for him - I think you'll find it'll be worth it.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by EDWARDIAN
Cute kid! And smart.

I would go with a private teacher to see where it goes. I've taught a couple 4-year-olds myself, and start them with 15-minute lessons. They've usually been younger siblings of my students. Better to start them off gently and let the lesson time increase as they get a bit older and their attention span increases,

Take a page from Sesame Street - the lessons should be short and varied. Not too much of one concept if it becomes tedious. Above all they should be fun. If not, discontinue. You definitely do not want him to be turned off to music.

Good luck to you & your adorable child.

Joan

one thing that we were thinking of asking of a teacher is that s/he allow for improvisation and free play on the piano at the end of the lesson.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by lotuscrystal
Adorable child...looks very animated, creative, and theatrical smile

I say, get him into private lessons...
Thanks. smile Yes, we won't steer him away from it, but we don't want to push it either. Another career in music is the one my wife has gone to after mostly stopping her singing--- artist management.

Last edited by Standalone; 08/02/09 03:14 PM.
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by mitts_off
He looks like he'd be a great kid to teach - great energy. I'd definitely put him into lessons because while he's very musical, his technique needs to be corrected so he doesn't hurt himself. He's using very odd fingerings in the second video!! Shop around for the right teacher for him - I think you'll find it'll be worth it.
yes, his 234 fingered triads are pretty awkward!

Definitely improvisation should be "allowed" . . . and encouraged! Many of my students make up tunes, and I always take the time to listen to them, and encourage it. Two of them developed a tune, and after a bit of coaching and guidance added the left hand to their right hand melody. They were so proud! A great learning experience in more ways than one.

Be sure your teacher is open to this as your son seems to love improvisation. Too rigid a teacher - a my-way-or-the-highway teacher may not be a good fit. His creativity should be developed, not squashed. Yes, he needs structure, but encouragement also for his wonderful spirit.

Joan

Joan Edward

Private piano teacher, 20+ years
EDWARDIAN45@hotmail.com
S
OP Offline
S

K
K
In my opinion (as a Suzuki teacher), he sounds the perfect student for a Suzuki approach, and will EXCEL under good instruction. The fact that he already has a developed ear will allow him to progress quickly. A good teacher will know when (and where and how!) to "hold him back" in terms of not advancing to harder pieces before he has established the proper technique.

Many people may not realize that Suzuki is about much more than just "learning songs by ear" at the beginning. Yes, they learn by ear, but this is to facilitate tone quality and beautiful technique from the earliest beginning stages. When you are 4 years old and don't have to think "Is that a D or an E on the staff", you are free to concentrate on hand position, good sound, dynamics, etc. etc.

Then, because you can already play many songs well, full of musicality, you find reading and understanding musical form to be much easier. If you DO decide to go the Suzuki route, make sure you have an excellent teacher. There are some amazing ones, and some not-so-good ones out there. Visit a recital first, if possible.

Regardless of whether he pursues a future musical career, he will probably have fun and make friends with music his entire life!

-Klavierspielen

K
K
At age 4, the introduction of daily music with some structure is just another routine like brushing teeth at the same time each day. The child won't feel "pushed" or "forced" if he loves his teacher and enjoys his lessons. Both of my kids, now teens, started in fun group classes around age four, where they did a lot of singing, rhythm and coordination work, along with keyboard skills. Neither of my kids could do what Standalone's boy does when they were little, but with lots of exposure, encouragement, and good teachers, they're both on their way to a lifelong love of music, and at very least the capability of playing for pleasure. My parents gave me the gift of a piano to play on, lessons, and some loving discipline, and I'm determined to pass it on!

25-year piano industry veteran, piano teacher,
Jazz piano student
Greene Music San Diego, CA
http://www.greenemusic.com
Dealer for new Steinway & Sons, Yamaha acoustic,
and Yamaha Clavinova digital pianos
http://www.myspace.com/kenschoenwetter
http://www.steinway.com/teachers/kenschoenwetter

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission