2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, 9 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 62 of 187 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 186 187
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
sorry about that (and many typos and unclear statements). I've been really busy so I'm doing all these between phone calls and emails...

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
Look guys, I found this:

Bill Evans Solo on Autumn Leaves.
No need to transcribe yourself.

http://pianologist.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/bill-evans-solo-on-autumn-leaves.pdf

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Good find! I wish we knew what album it's from though.

One thing to add though. There's nothing like doing your own transcription. For some reason, it is so intense a process that the sounds gets integrated into your style quickly. Sometimes you're on one line for hours so by the time you're at the piano, you can hear that line over and over. You don't even have to do much transcription initially to get the benefits.

My Jazz Blog

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Jazz Mates,

I've been working on a new practice tactic. I know that when I try to do a solo, I'm a bit hesitant about going to different registers of the piano. It feels safe to stick in one area. I thought of a way to help me over this hurdle.

To deal with this issue, I decided to experiment traveling around playing the AL melody and using rootless in the LH. When playing the melody, I'll play a couple of bars at a time in different registers. It is starting to feel better now traveling over 3 octaves. laugh yippie

A Sudnow Method Fanatic
"Color tones, can't live without them"

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I'll Blog too Barb. It might be interesting for you guys to know what I'm working on since I'm past the basics.

Here's one.

When I listen to the Jazz masters play, in particular I was looking at my teacher, and Kenny Werner, both heavily influenced by Bill Evans, I noticed how they are able to play legato even when playing sixteenth notes.

First of all it took awhile (just recently) until I could even solo with some sixteenth notes. It was tough. But as I demonstrated it to my teacher, he said to play it more legato. At these high speeds that's pretty tough to do but that's the characteristic sound I've been trying to get. BTW some players never try to sound legato at high speed.

The other thing I wanted to achieve in addition to sixteenth notes legato, was the ability to play a complex two handed solo piano without pedal. This was another legato issue.

My model here was Kenny Werner playing this beautiful version of My Romance where he played these legato lines instead of the usual jerky stop and go of the jazz vocabulary.

So with this task at hand, I've been working on this for months just studying my technique, getting scales at higher and higher speeds. I found this particularly good exercise at maintaining even articulation was to play LH against RH with a different pattern like 1:3, 1:4, etc. and also making sure I correctly accent the top of each set on the RH.

This was gruelling practice. In the last couple of weeks, I've noticed some really solid improvement. I went back to playing My Romance with a shell LH like 1/5/7, thumb and index finger of RH and melody or solo on the 4/5 fingers of the RH. The middle voices are played usually on beat '1 &'. And I noticed that I can maintain a constant cantabile sound without pedal. And of course with swing.

This is really exciting for me because playing a tune correctly is one thing, but playing and coming out with one's voice is another level. My voice is coming out!

Many players are recognizable by the way they play. And in a way this is a personal search.

This is like another level of my search which is similar to many of you finding your 'swing' voice.

Who's blog is next?

My Jazz Blog

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by jazzwee:
My voice is coming out!
We'd love to hear that new voice of yours whenever you are ready to share it with us! smokin

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

To hear how I have progressed since 2006, check out: http://b.kane.home.mindspring.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Bump

[Linked Image]
I'm trying out the rootless voicing. Since I want to do the modern stride (only 2 beats for each measure), the bass note hit on the downbeat 1. For the rootless voicing, should I just let it go and hit on the 3rd beat, or should I slow down and strive to hit on the + of 2?

Rosa

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Usually you'd hit the + of 2. I don't know if I'm understanding you right but to describe how I do it, I would hit the bass note irregularly. In Autumn Leaves, it would be approximately once every two measures.

There's also a couple of ways this is done. In some cases, some players will hit the bass staccato almost, just to lightly suggest the root.

Some would pedal to the first rootless chord, which could get muddy on the RH solo.

My Jazz Blog

I would hit the bass note irregularly. In Autumn Leaves, it would be approximately once every two measures.

But Autumn Leaves changes chords every measure. What is the reason for hitting the bass note on every 2 measures?

BTW, did someone do a midi on this so that we can see what they did?

Thanks.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Rosa,

I just recorded some modified stride to the A section of Autumn Leaves. I can't do a midi file any more because my digital has been moved to another room (where my hubby and I practice our vibes, piano duo stuff). It's pretty obvious, though, to hear that bass note plunk.

http://www.box.net/shared/iqnjjn0o44

I didn't spend any time working this up, so you won't hear any rootless plunks on the + of 2. I just played what came natural to me.

Hope this helps.

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hello Swingin' Barb-

How are the practices going with you and Tom?

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hey Woody - It's fun jamming together. We do have our work cut out for us before taking the show on the road laugh

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

Thanks Barb smile I hear that you skip chords, that is you play every other measure. So you only did rootless voicings to every other chord -- Am7, Gmaj7, F#m7b5, Em7, Am7, Gmaj7, F#m7b5, Em7.

Is the reasoning behind this that these chords have long measures?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Rosa - I did rootless for EVERY chord. But, for most of the A section, I plunked the bass note once every two measures as Jazzwee had talked about.

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

eek LOL...I don't have jazz ears.

What is then the reasoning behind plunking the bass only at every other measure and not every measure?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
All I was doing was playing an example of what Jazzwee was talking about. I could have played it once for each measure, though.

A Sudnow Method Fanatic

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Barb, The important part is it's fun! Nobody minds working on something if it's fun.

[Linked Image]
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
OK I'm back.

The idea is not to duplicate actual stride which will make the tune sound too oompah-oompah, which is not the "modern" sound.

Bass notes are occasionally "plunked" just to restore the tonality to the listener, which becomes vague with rootless voicings. Why every two measures? It's a balance. Hold the bass note too long and you lose the tonality. Do it too often and it sounds rote. So I picked something in the middle that would be typical.

It depends on the tune too. If the tune stays in one place, you won't need the bass note too much. My judgement call here is that, when I play AL, the ii-V sequence becomes obvious enough to my ears by playing one bass note for each ii-V.

To emulate a modern stride, the bass note would be played irregularly, so that pretty much excludes doing it every measure. Should you skip every two measures, three measures, four measures...? It's up to you but note that skipping the bass note raises tension which eventually needs to feel like it should be released. Two measures seems to be a moderate amount and your LH is not jumping around too much like a real stride playing.

Remember too that in ballad playing, the bass note is pedaled so you really don't have time to switch to rootless to bass.

When you hear someone play modern stride, then it all makes sense. A player might skip all bass notes for a chorus then bring it back in. It's all about the effect/atmosphere desired.

My Jazz Blog

Page 62 of 187 1 2 60 61 62 63 64 186 187

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission