Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
60 registered (AndyJoe, AndyP, AZNpiano, Artur Gajewski, 12 invisible), 1161 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#1241867 - 08/02/09 12:24 AM Repair of Scratches in Black Glossy Finish
Trex Offline

Just purchased a 2001 Young Chang E101 with the black glossy finish. I'm happy with the piano. Does anyone know the best way to get rid of light surface scratches in the finish? Looks like it may have been dusted with a rough cloth or perhaps some type of non-compatible furniture polish.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#1241904 - 08/02/09 04:13 AM Re: Repair of Scratches in Black Glossy Finish [Re: Trex]
Konzert Patrick Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Yamaha Unicon

#1242346 - 08/03/09 12:13 AM Re: Repair of Scratches in Black Glossy Finish [Re: Konzert Patrick]
alx Offline

Loc: USA
Where can you get this polish? I searched the web, and was told on on old pianoworld thread that Schaff handles it. But, I think you have to be a dealer to buy from them. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Steve

#1242395 - 08/03/09 04:04 AM Re: Repair of Scratches in Black Glossy Finish [Re: alx]
Marty in Minnesota Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Minnesota
I have had good luck with the Cory Super High Gloss Polish. Many piano stores have it or it is available online.

To get the best results, any polish is best applied, and buffed, with a high quality micro-fiber cloths.

#1242628 - 08/03/09 01:24 PM Re: Repair of Scratches in Black Glossy Finish [Re: Marty in Minnesota]
Marty Flinn Offline
2000 Post Club Member

The Unicon and Cory's are more dressings rather than plolishing compounds.

If you can feel the scratch with you lightly drag your fingernail across it then you must call in a cabinet man to buff it out with a machine. Get a recommendation from your local piano dealer.

If you cannot feel the scratch then you may be able to polish it out yourself. Find "plastic polish" at the car parts or motorcycle supply. Several manufacturers make it to buff out face shields and boat windows. Mcguires or Mothers and others make it. Follow directions. Start in an inconspicous spot at first until you perfect your technique.

#1242696 - 08/03/09 03:17 PM Re: Repair of Scratches in Black Glossy Finish [Re: Marty Flinn]
Kieran Wells Offline

Loc: Saint Paul, MN
3M Imperial Hand Glaze
rebuilt: Mason & Hamlin, Steinway and other quality pianos
651-695-1000
651-757-6136

#1242698 - 08/03/09 03:20 PM Re: Repair of Scratches in Black Glossy Finish [Re: Marty Flinn]

Marty,

All of what you said is true. However, if you closely read what the OP stated, I intrepreted that as being the miniscule scratches which are inevitable if a piano has been dry dusted. Even a Swiffer will cause them. Dust, in and of itself, is abrasive to any finish.

A good piano polish will fill those minute little abrasions. With a thorough application and the removal of the dried polish, with a non-abrasive micro-fiber polishing cloth, the piano can gleam. After a number of applications, about once a month, the surface created will be better able to withstand a dry dusting. Even with that old linen dish towel which seems so "soft."

It really doesn't seem that Trex' piano requires that it be buffed out using a mildly abrasive polishing compound.

#1242705 - 08/03/09 03:28 PM Re: Repair of Scratches in Black Glossy Finish [Re: Kieran Wells]

Kieran,

Are you just recommending it because it is a local product for us? wink

#1242708 - 08/03/09 03:33 PM Re: Repair of Scratches in Black Glossy Finish [Re: Marty Flinn]
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
Originally Posted By: Marty Flinn
The Unicon and Cory's are more dressings rather than plolishing compounds.

If you can feel the scratch with you lightly drag your fingernail across it then you must call in a cabinet man to buff it out with a machine. Get a recommendation from your local piano dealer.

If you cannot feel the scratch then you may be able to polish it out yourself. Find "plastic polish" at the car parts or motorcycle supply. Several manufacturers make it to buff out face shields and boat windows. Mcguires or Mothers and others make it. Follow directions. Start in an inconspicous spot at first until you perfect your technique.

Great advice.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#1242857 - 08/03/09 07:30 PM Re: Repair of Scratches in Black Glossy Finish [Re: Steve Cohen]

Oh, please -

It seems that the "pros" want to get exotic in all sorts of obscure methods to solve the problem.

There is no problem!

The concern is nothing more than the care of cabinetry which is not unlike any wood furniture. Poly, lacquer, or varnish, it is treated the same. The minor marks which can be seen when the light is just right, are covered over with a good polish.

A piano is not the face shield of a motorcycle helmet. Though, Harley riders are overly fastidious about the detailing of their bikes. No need to ride it, just polish it.

"Pro" piano dudes, don't over react to what was a simple question. A single double strike does not require a total re-build of the action.

#1243484 - 08/04/09 04:43 PM Re: Repair of Scratches in Black Glossy Finish [Re: Marty in Minnesota]
Trex Offline

I appreciate the great advice. I believe I'll try Cory's on a small inconspicious area and inspect the results. If that doesn't work I can always call one of the local San Diego pro's for a $$$ fix. This forum is awesome! Thanks everyone.

#1252292 - 08/19/09 11:58 PM Re: Repair of Scratches in Black Glossy Finish [Re: Trex]
Trex Offline

Just to get back with everyone concerning this thread. I did use the Cory product successfully. The piano's finish looks almost new again.

#1252294 - 08/20/09 12:01 AM Re: Repair of Scratches in Black Glossy Finish [Re: Trex]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Quote:
A single double strike does not require a total re-build of the action.

Except on those pianos where it does.

#1252313 - 08/20/09 01:04 AM Re: Repair of Scratches in Black Glossy Finish [Re: BDB]
Gregl Offline

Loc: Lompico,CA
A piano is not the face shield of a motorcycle helmet. Though, Harley riders are overly fastidious about the detailing of their bikes. No need to ride it, just polish it.

"Pro" piano dudes, don't over react to what was a simple question. A single double strike does not require a total re-build of the action.

FOR SALE 1982 YAMAHA V750, LOW MILES,COVER,FASTIDIOUSLY MAINTAINED (HAVE RECEIPTS)INCLUDES SPARE FACE SHIELDS,TWO FORKS, POLISH ,NEW TIRES,AND PARADOXICALLY JUST TUNED
$ 1500.00 OBO WILL TRADE FOR PIANO STUFF...

Edited by Gregl (08/20/09 02:30 AM)

#1252767 - 08/20/09 04:27 PM Re: Repair of Scratches in Black Glossy Finish [Re: Gregl]
pianobroker Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Hollywood CA.
If you throw a rod it does require a total rebuild.I used the same stuff to detail my Harley collection as my polyester finish Steinway grands.Come to think of it they have become garage queens lately. grin

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/Picture007.jpg
http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/woodpianos009.jpg

Edited by pianobroker (08/20/09 04:36 PM)
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE

#1253060 - 08/20/09 11:35 PM Re: Repair of Scratches in Black Glossy Finish [Re: pianobroker]
Gregl Offline

Loc: Lompico,CA
Don't forget its alot colder in Minn. And the the bugs are bigger and juicier there!....just ask Rod...it probably saves money on bait when fishing!

#1253072 - 08/21/09 12:14 AM Re: Repair of Scratches in Black Glossy Finish [Re: Gregl]

The best part of riding a Harley in Minnesota is getting bugs splattered on your teeth.

Then we use them as bait.

Then we use the strings of a piano to grill the catch.

There is nothing better than large mouth bass, slow smoked on a Mapes grill, using Renner wood to add the smoke and unique flavor. The connouisours refer to it as "a slight, felt-like resonance."

To remove the little wings and things stuck in my teeth, I always brush with Cory's.

#1253221 - 08/21/09 08:51 AM Re: Repair of Scratches in Black Glossy Finish [Re: Marty in Minnesota]
rodmichael Offline

Loc: Maryland
Deleted

Edited by rodmichael (08/21/09 08:53 AM)
Edit Reason: Thought better of it.
Zoom Q3

#1253230 - 08/21/09 09:02 AM Re: Repair of Scratches in Black Glossy Finish [Re: Trex]
BillM Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
Trex - are you saying that the Cory's removed the light surface scratches?
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes

#1253262 - 08/21/09 10:05 AM Re: Repair of Scratches in Black Glossy Finish [Re: BillM]
Trex Offline

Hi Bill - I'm sure the scratches are still there but the product seems to fill in the surface area so they are no longer readily seen. The product is a spray polish, not an abrasive. I'm certain it will require regular periodic applications to keep it looking good.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Black Friday is here - Seen any deals?
by MeghanM
11/28/14 01:16 AM
MIDI in on a Kawai VPC-1...
by pocoapoco
11/28/14 12:35 AM
Just joined
by wise_manzard
11/27/14 10:20 PM
LACHNIT MK22
by Vas
11/27/14 09:27 PM
You Usually Get what you Pay for in this World.......
by Paul678
11/27/14 08:22 PM
Forum Stats
77071 Members
42 Forums
159411 Topics
2341699 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission