Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 131 of 204 < 1 2 ... 129 130 131 132 133 ... 203 204 >
Topic Options
#1467659 - 07/03/10 03:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GracieCat]
nancymae Offline

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Oy....I posted pictures (or at least I think I did) over at the piano forum under the thread "Piano Gift". How do you put your photos on your message????

Anyway, hope you can see my photos.

I practiced for 3 hours yesterday...dividing time between my piano and keyboard! Next is doing my recordings...have my little music room all set up now!

Happy 4th!!

Nancy
Finished Alfred Book 1-August 2010
Started Book 2--August 11, 2010
Alfred Favorites Book

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#1467666 - 07/03/10 03:29 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GracieCat]
Doug F Offline

Loc: Victor, NY
Originally Posted By: GracieCat

Doug, you know what we did with our pool table? We put our table up on heavy duty casters so we could move it. It's in our basement and the kids have their train table there too. There isn't quite enough room for both so the pool table is moved some when we want to use it. (We don't play that often.) ]

Probably not something I'd do to a nice new table though. Ours is old.

That's a great idea GracieCat! How do you keep it from moving when you play?

I don't think it would work for us because the floors are hardwood and there still wouldn't be enough room for both the pool table and a piano but the room would be perfect for a baby grand someday......

I can picture it there already but it will be a long time since the pool table was my idea and I don't play it very often any more.

I have a great memory, it's just short.

#1467677 - 07/03/10 03:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: nancymae]
Doug F Offline

Originally Posted By: nancymae

Anyway, hope you can see my photos.

Nancy, I just took a peek at the photos of your new piano. It is gorgeous! It looks immaculate, somebody took good care of it and you are very luck to be the recipient of it. Happy playing!!

Happy Fourth to everyone in the USA.

#1467765 - 07/03/10 08:27 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Doug F]
GracieCat Offline

Loc: USA
Nancy I'm drooling over that piano! You're probably playing it right now.

Doug, it's on carpet and take a good bit of might to move the thing. You can easily lean against it and it won't move. One day you just might want to sell it and use the money toward a piano. I'm only keeping mine because I'm sure my boys will enjoy playing when they get a bit older.

I've got Greensleeves down with the 1-3-5-3-5-3 pattern on the left hand. (I play the bass notes down one octave.) I couldn't hardly do it at first, but I just kept plugging along. Now I don't really have to think about the left hand. The first beat of every measure starts with your pinky. I'll record it in a day or two. It won't be error free though. Thanks for the idea. It was a learning experience.
-Anything composed by D. Nevue

#1467777 - 07/03/10 08:59 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GracieCat]
Doug F Offline

Quote:
I've got Greensleeves down with the 1-3-5-3-5-3 pattern on the left hand.

I'm still working on it. Practice has been a little broken up over the past few days. Lots of things going on right now. We helped our son move back to NY from Connecticut and have our grand daughter here from Colorado.

I had to write it out with notation software so I could see it. I'm looking forward to hearing your recording of it. That will be a great skill to have mastered because it will be used often. I think there are a lot of pieces you could use that with that have simple melodies. You might be able to try it with Silent Night (the chords are probably different).

Edited by Doug F (07/03/10 09:03 PM)

#1467800 - 07/03/10 10:04 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Doug F]
Emissary52 Offline

Loc: Monroe, NC USA
Doug - Speaking of notation software, it wouldn't be by any chance, PrintMusic? I've been thinking of getting something along those lines where I could input,scan and transpose stuff. Trying to transpose by hand, with blank sheet music takes too much time!

Nancy - Congrats on that new piano! Since you live in such a rural area, if I were you, I'd check my shoes, since you definitely must have "stepped in something!" LOL! I'm so J!!! grin

Gracie - This week, I bought a Fender Passport 150 PA system and some microphones to set up my "Concert for 1" series. Since I can't currently play and sing at the same time, I'm looking into recorder-mixers, so I can play piano on one track (carefully edit the mistakes out!) and then lay down a vocal track! Playing piano leaves me with very little brainpower leftover to devote to singing at this point, so it might be a reasonable solution! Thank God for technology! LOL! I'm sure by the time I can do both, Alzheimer's will be kicking in, with my luck! Now, all I have to do is come up with a winning Powerball or MegaMillions ticket to buy that Steinway and build that recording studio addition. Greensleeves with that flattened first F# (or the "Gracie version" as it's known to astute music critics) will be on the first album! Well, it's nice to dream ...or hallucinate, as the case may be!

To all the new folks that have joined in the last few days, a big welcome!!!

-Craig

Edited by Emissary52 (07/03/10 10:06 PM)
Alfred 1 Graduate

#1467830 - 07/03/10 11:15 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Emissary52]
Doug F Offline

The software is MuseScore. It's open source so it's free and is pretty good. You can't scan into it yet but it's great for writing out scores.

#1467853 - 07/03/10 11:49 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Doug F]
Emissary52 Offline

Thanks Doug! You've just given me something to "play with" until the wee hours!
Alfred 1 Graduate

#1468129 - 07/04/10 01:04 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Emissary52]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Nancymae, that piano is gorgeous! They've kept it in great condition, too! Congratulations!

Aimee

#1468340 - 07/04/10 08:50 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: AimeeO]
GracieCat Offline

I recorded Greensleeves breaking the lefthand chords up like Doug suggested (1-3-5-3-5) and not sharping the F as Emissary liked. I also played the bass notes down one octave as someone else suggested. My version isn't error free but I'm moving on. I wasn't able to play the bass notes any softer as it took too much concentration as it was. smile Variation of Greensleeves (The popping you hear in the background is my husband and the boys firing off rockets.)

#1468378 - 07/04/10 10:53 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GracieCat]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Good job Graciecat. When I was in this book last year, I experimented with a 1-3-5 & 135-3-5 as well. Changed the ending up a bit also. Giving the left hand more independence will prove useful in the future.
Here was my version.
CarlMc

Greensleeves

#1468513 - 07/05/10 08:07 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Strings & Wood]
GracieCat Offline

Very nice Strings & Wood. Thanks for sharing! That's much more musical. Now I'm interested again. I'll practice it with a mixture of my left hand and yours to see what I can come up with. Then I'll spruce up my ending too. I'll end up with a song that combines 5 peoples ideas. smile Too cool. Thanks for the idea!

(When I was playing my version I felt like I was running a race in the left hand and falling asleep with the right. smile )

I'll repost my recording as soon as it's done.

#1468598 - 07/05/10 12:05 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GracieCat]
Doug F Offline

Nice job GracieCat! I'm still working on it but almost have it down. The rockets in the background suggest that you need to work on The Star Spangled Banner too!

I like your version too Carl. It has a very nice rolling feel to it. I kind of wish my teacher had suggested that style vs the way he has me playing it. It sounds better matched.

#1468658 - 07/05/10 02:24 PM "At Last" Typo [Re: Mark...]
beasleylou Offline

Loc: Madison, WI
I've been playing the bonus materials in the AIO book and believe for "At Last," the last chord on the treble cleff should be a C-E-G, not B-E-G as printed (whatever that horrid sounding combo is).

Can anyone verify?

Edited by beasleylou (07/05/10 03:23 PM)

#1468676 - 07/05/10 03:03 PM Re: "At Last" Typo [Re: beasleylou]
GracieCat Offline

Originally Posted By: beasleylou
I've been playing the bonus materials in the AIO book and believe the last chord on the treble cleff should be a C-E-G, not B-E-G as printed (whatever that horrid sounding combo is).

Can anyone verify?

Which song beasleylou?

#1468686 - 07/05/10 03:23 PM Re: "At Last" Typo [Re: GracieCat]
beasleylou Offline

"At Last" Sorry, I wasn't clear, I have edited the post.

#1468701 - 07/05/10 03:48 PM Re: "At Last" Typo [Re: beasleylou]
Doug F Offline

That piece is in the self teaching AIO Book for those who are wondering.

I don't have my book with me right now but I'll check it when I get home.

#1468705 - 07/05/10 03:55 PM Re: "At Last" Typo [Re: Doug F]
GracieCat Offline

(p185) Self teaching book.

That last chord in the right does sound awful. B-E-G in the right and octave C's in the left. (With a fermata over both hands as well.) I haven't ever played that song though. Anyone else?

#1468731 - 07/05/10 04:36 PM Re: "At Last" Typo [Re: GracieCat]
beasleylou Offline

I gather there are different versions of this series? I've tinkered with it some more and am positive the last chord should be a C.

It's worth the time to learn "At Last" and "Somewhere over the Rainbow" if you have them. These two are my favorites in the book thus far.

#1468736 - 07/05/10 04:43 PM Re: "At Last" Typo [Re: GracieCat]
Emissary52 Offline

GracieCat and Strings & Wood - Both of your versions sound better than the book and you've gotten a "free Christmas Carol" out of the process as well!

beasleylou - I have the plain-jane Alfred's Adult book and don't have that song, but it seems rather odd that they would be employing what would appear to be a Cmaj7 chord in any piece at this stage of the game.

Does it sound like this?

http://www.8notes.com/piano_chord_chart/cmaj7.asp

I wonder if it's a misprint and you should be doing C-E-G instead?
Alfred 1 Graduate

#1468752 - 07/05/10 04:54 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Emissary52]
Ejay Offline

Loc: U.K.
Nancy I love the new piano . You are blessed indeed, what an awesome gift !

#1468756 - 07/05/10 04:57 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Emissary52]
Ejay Offline

I don't have that song either , but I would say if it is in key of C, then C7 is right. Doubt its a typo, just depends on the notes before and after so would need to see the whole piece.
I would imagine any errors will be listed on the publishers website as errata.

#1468768 - 07/05/10 05:02 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Ejay]
Emissary52 Offline

Ejay - Wouldn't a C7 chord be using a Bb instead of a B?
Alfred 1 Graduate

#1468773 - 07/05/10 05:07 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Emissary52]
Ejay Offline

Sorry I meant Cmaj7.. should hit preview before submit.. lol

#1468778 - 07/05/10 05:22 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Ejay]
Emissary52 Offline

Ejay - Hey, who knows? Maybe a C7 might sound good! At the rate a few of us have modified some of the material, we might be "morphing" into Alfred's "Adult Piano and Junior Composer" Book 1 thread! grin ha

Edited by Emissary52 (07/05/10 05:24 PM)
Alfred 1 Graduate

#1468782 - 07/05/10 05:31 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Emissary52]
GracieCat Offline

Junior Composer smile

It's in the key of C. Here is a link to the last page of the song. HERE

Now I have a question. I'm assuming that if it was in A minor that the F's would be sharpened in the score and that the song would end on A. Is that correct?

#1468784 - 07/05/10 05:33 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Emissary52]
Ejay Offline

LOL

I keep going to play the rest of the Entertainer, which isn't in the book.

#1468787 - 07/05/10 05:42 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GracieCat]
Ejay Offline

Doesn't sound like a typo either.
A C would be far too cheerful a chord to end on.
What you have, so long as you observe the ritardano and the fermatas is a lovely mellow conclusion, with a lovely bass note to finish off.
IMHO anyway.

Oh and yes I think that's right with A minor.

Edited by Ejay (07/05/10 05:45 PM)

#1468809 - 07/05/10 06:27 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Ejay]
Emissary52 Offline

Ejay - I think you're right about it being a C7 after all! A Bb instead of a B. Looking at the page that Gracie provided, I checked out a fuller version on musicnotes. The original Etta James version is in F. But the nice thing about checking out a song there, is that it allows you to transpose them into other keys.
Here it is in C!

http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0059678_U7

This song is a "jazz number" so when you see so many accidentals in it, as well as chords that are uncommon as the "usual suspects" in the key of C, you shouldn't be surprised!

Gracie - You'd think a piece in Am might end in an Am or A note, but that can depend on the composer's whim. Musical rules, like all the others, are made to be broken apparently, and often are! I'm trying to learn Regina Spektor's Samson, she starts it on B, both the chord and note (it's in the key of B major) and ends the song on D# using a G# minor chord. Whatever works, I guess!

Ejay - I've done the same thing with the Entertainer ...figuring out the next few notes that aren't in the book! Great Minds! grin

Edited by Emissary52 (07/05/10 07:21 PM)
Alfred 1 Graduate

#1468848 - 07/05/10 07:40 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Emissary52]
Ejay Offline

Yes I had a look at my guitar version. Different key, but a 7th chord, followed by a 9th at the end.

Page 131 of 204 < 1 2 ... 129 130 131 132 133 ... 203 204 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"How It's Made" and Cunningham Piano Co.
by Rich Galassini
09/30/14 09:43 AM
How many different actions do the Kawai digitals have?
by Giancarlo Robles
09/30/14 09:34 AM
Hearing the changes
by paul abrahams
09/30/14 09:07 AM
My Kawai CA-95 does not record drum patterns
by SP6NIN
09/30/14 06:18 AM
page-turning for tablets
by Barly
09/30/14 04:02 AM
Who's Online
143 registered (A Guy, accordeur, aesop, AaronH, 44 invisible), 1576 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76376 Members
42 Forums
157882 Topics
2318769 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission