2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 8 invisible), 1,401 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Manachi Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone is able to help me recognise what mode or scale this person is improvising in? I know the melody but he embelishes and improvises a lot, and there seems to be a very distinct sound - can anyone identify it? I really like the tones and would like to explore the mode/scale/technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DryAyDb5Xw0

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Manachi

C
C
We can't help you until you tell us exactly where in the video youre talking about

Manachi Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi,

My apologies. I also should mention (as it's probably obvious already now!) that I'm completely new to Jazz. I learnt classical piano for many yearswhen I was younger, but now I've started getting back into it and am taking Jazz Piano lessons and am very excited about it. In particular, modes & jazz improvisation techniques are something I'm wanting to sink my teeth into.

In the video I guess I thought that the entire melody had a distinct 'tone' that I assumed (possibly incorrectly) might have all fit into a single scale or mode? And if so I was wondering what that is? I may well be wrong, my ears know what they like when it comes to Jazz, but certainly are untrained ears when it comes to the details.

Everything he does after 1:09 (when he starts the accompaniament and it speeds up a bit) I really like the sound of, but to give a more specific, small sample of it, at 2:30 he does some chord stabs, and FOLLOWING that he does a bit of a run down and then back up a scale of keys, with a very jazzy feel. (He does it again at 2:43) I don't think it's blues scale, because it has much more beautiful/samba-ey jazzy tones. Is that a recognisable scale or mode (or technique)?

Again, thanks for any help - this is a fantastic forum & community.

Manachi

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
It's not one mode or one scale, it's a complete chord progression on an AABA form. Sounds roughly like: GmAdd9, Ab7, Gm6/9 two bars, Am7(b5?), D7, Gm, Am7b5 D7 same bar and then reprise. Bridge (or B) is Cm7, F7, BbMaj two bars, Dbm7, Gb7, Bmaj7 two bars, Am7b5 D7 same bar and then the A part again (Gm, Ab7, Gm6 two bars, Am7, D7, Gm)

C
C
Originally Posted by KlinkKlonk
It's not one mode or one scale, it's a complete chord progression on an AABA form. Sounds roughly like: GmAdd9, Ab7, Gm6/9 two bars, Am7(b5?), D7, Gm, Am7b5 D7 same bar and then reprise. Bridge (or B) is Cm7, F7, BbMaj two bars, Dbm7, Gb7, Bmaj7 two bars, Am7b5 D7 same bar and then the A part again (Gm, Ab7, Gm6 two bars, Am7, D7, Gm)

Everything is right, except for the fact that:

The BMaj7 is enharmonically incorrect. B Major has sharps, not flats. So if your using Dbm7 and Gb7, then you use CbMaj7. On the other hand, if you use C#min7, F#7, then you use BMaj7.

Just to point something out! Be careful about stuff like this.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
I meant C#m7 Gb7 Hmaj7

P
P
KlinkKlonk is right. There isn't one specific "mode" that a tune is in. Generelly when modes are discussed (in my experience) it is usually regarding each individual chord as there is a corresponding relationship between the chord and the scale it comes from. For example, in the Key of C a Dmi7 chord is the 2 chord (built off the second scale degree). If you take the C scale, but start on the D and go from D to D and back down again, you get a flat 3 and a flat 7. This is called the Dorian mode. If you start on the E you get flat 2, flat 3, flat 6 and flat 7. This is the Phrygian mode and so on and so forth. The same exists within minor keys. The song is in the key of G minor. I guess you could call it a "minor mode" but I just call it a minor key. Making sense at all?

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission