Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1243639 - 08/04/09 09:20 PM Clavier Companion article on stress and batteries
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
For those of you who haven't read it, the July/August issue had a great article it in using a battery analogy to talk about us piano teachers and our use of time away from the studio. He points out that we have a great advantage over most people in that we get to do something that we are passionate about and love to do in our free time. However, that also comes with the problem of never actually getting away from work. We constantly are thinking about teaching, practicing, refining/streamlining our studio and policies, and on top of that dealing with issues that arise. Because of this, we tend to never be fully away. Like batteries, if you don't let them fully charge while the phone is turned off, that charge won't last as long. The writer also uses other analogies with the battery that really hit home.

As I type, I'm on vacation in Cape Cod (so I'm guilty too!). I did set my voice mail to say that I'm unavailable until I return and to call back (rather than leave a message, which means either I have to call back right away and deal with things or remember to call back when I return).

What do you do to let your batteries recharge?
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#1243664 - 08/04/09 09:53 PM Re: Clavier Companion article on stress and batteries [Re: Morodiene]
Kreisler Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I read, play golf, video games, work out, watch TV, hang out with friends, and play with my dogs. Earlier this summer I took a short vacation to Chicago with my wife. Thursday I'm going to LA to visit my sister.

It's very helpful that my wife works at a hospital. I can hang out with her and her friends and listen to them talk about bacterial meningitis and status epilepticus all day. They say stuff like "can you believe his troponin level was that high?" It's nice, actually. I'm learning quite a bit about medicine!

I also find it very helpful to listen to a lot of music. While most of my CD collection is classical, the CDs in my car right now are Michael Jackson, Styx, Tom Waits, Radiohead, the Schubert Eb Piano Trio, and Christof Lauer. (I was actually listening to Thriller the day before MJ died. He was a major influence on my musical life!)
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed

#1243677 - 08/04/09 10:14 PM Re: Clavier Companion article on stress and batteries [Re: Kreisler]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
I cook and bake. What a stress reliever!

#1244231 - 08/05/09 07:14 PM Re: Clavier Companion article on stress and batteries [Re: Minniemay]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
But how do you "leave work" when you leave work? How do you separate yourself so you can truly rest and start up fresh? Whenever I do nothing music related - not even think about it - over the weekend, I always end up hitting Monday like a brick wall of reality, that I have so much to do and little time to do it before lessons.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#1244233 - 08/05/09 07:17 PM Re: Clavier Companion article on stress and batteries [Re: Morodiene]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
It helps that my studio is separate from my house. It's attached to the back of my garage, so I literally go to and from work. But mentally, there is always music going on. Singing is the perfect distraction for me. It's music, but it's not work.

#1244237 - 08/05/09 07:20 PM Re: Clavier Companion article on stress and batteries [Re: Morodiene]
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Minnesota
I guess I really don't. It doesn't bother me to be thinking about piano & lessons "all the time". Some of my best ideas have come to me when I'm in my "down time".

I don't have certain hours for phone calls, but I do encourage Emails, they're much more convenient I think.

If I find myself stressing out over a particular student or two (actually...3 come to mind right now, lol) I just tell myself that "it is a phase" and it will pass. It always does smile

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.

#1244983 - 08/06/09 07:16 PM Re: Clavier Companion article on stress and batteries [Re: Ebony and Ivory]
musiclady Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
For me, my escape is computer games, especially Civilization III and Civilization IV, also some Bejeweled and computer golf, bowling, and pool. I'm considering trying yoga too.

Meri

#1245108 - 08/06/09 10:18 PM Re: Clavier Companion article on stress and batteries [Re: musiclady]
Karisofia Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
That article was quite convicting! I do have the habit of doing music much of the time. Sometimes practice is my best down-time because I don't get to do it when I'm busy with students.

Sometimes I try to go for a different subject--Spanish, writing, computers--but those are not always regenerating. This summer I landed a couple good reads about ancient artifacts, etc., that are a much better relief. The best so far was Decoding the Heavens by Jo Marchant.
The Achievement Program Center Representative

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
help with finger numbers in this piece...
by PianoKimmy
09/18/14 05:35 AM
Most Difficult?
by SiFi
09/18/14 01:21 AM
What is most common size wire to break?
by Ed McMorrow, RPT
09/18/14 12:19 AM
Will this Piano Room have good Acoustics?
by flamenco88
09/17/14 10:59 PM
Proud new owner of a Yamaha P22
by amanda416
09/17/14 09:04 PM
Who's Online
61 registered (barbaram, ando, aesop, allakart, alexbergauer, AZNpiano, 14 invisible), 915 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76237 Members
42 Forums
157598 Topics
2314884 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission